• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's what Gigantamax Pikachu and Eevee are! You need save data for LGPE! In fact, it's worse, because to get Eevee you need LGE and to get Pikachu you need LGP!
I feel like that's a bit more acceptable because those are actual games instead of a 50 dollar paperweight.

But still pretty bad.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
So out of curiosity Am I allowed to like this or am I a shill for daring to?

You're free to do so just as many others have done in this thread, just as others are free to criticise it without the tired old deflections getting thrown at them (pick one): "you'll buy the game anyhow", "imagine getting this upset over a kid's game", "gen 1 still sells so you're wrong", etc.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Look, if you want Gen 1 to not get pandered then slap the Pikachu plush and Charizard card out of your child's hand and give them a Dedenne

They are, but they're also for the wider audience. If they just focus on the core then that's how things collapse.
Yeah, lets ignore that they pander to gen 1 for a ton of pokemon who are far less popular than Charizard and Pikachu as well, while ignoring super popular pokemon from later gens

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
"It's for literal children, don't get upset about it!"
"By the way, don't get mad that the generation that YOU GREW UP WITH, not those kids that the games are aimed at apparently, is being overexposed and overused!"

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
lmao what a shit show
we are gonna get new gen 1 forms each generation for all eternity.
Next gen they should start by revealing the new Charizard form(s)

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
They have been doing this since 2013, for three generations in a row.
Right, and I don't really see a problem with it. Johto is my favorite region and Ampharos is my favorite Pokémon. I'd love to see it get a new form (since its mega won't be in this game) but I also understand that Charizard, Pikachu, and Eevee are probably the three most popular Pokémon of all time and sell tons of merchandise and TCG cards for them. It makes sense that they'd want to make more forms of those Pokémon to capitalize on it since they're so popular

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only cool thing is Butterfree getting love, fuck all of the rest though especially Charizard.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting slightly worried about the games which is weird as I am usually optimistic. If you had asked me earlier if we would get new Pokémon and Galarian forms revealed I would have definitely agreed. But just 5 Gigantamax forms a month before reveal is just bad. Especially for someone who simply doesn't care about the G-max forms at all. I loved Mega evolutions and I even loved Z-Moves but Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing is just not for me. And seeing how they keep hyping this up with new forms is boring to me. This whole pre-release cycle is just weird.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
It's why they revealed it today

Because today is Game Freak's 30th anniversary so they did a nice reveal of some cool stuff for their classics

There's no reason an anniversary celebration couldn't contain a popular mon from each generation. They're doing exclusive Kanto mons for the same reason they've always done it

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if your defense for a game series is to tell people that it's no longer for them, there might be a problem.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just remember this.

What we know now is not all of the game's content. Please don't act like it is or that it's necessarily indicative of the entirety of the content.

I have little doubt there will be more non-Gen 1 Galarian Forms and Gigantamax Forms. Just be patient.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Giga Ledian or Rotom would have been a more appropriate way to celebrate Gamefreak's anniversary, if we're actually celebrating Gamefreak's age and not just using it as an excuse to bring Butterfree back.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Fat pikachu yessssssssssss

I love the new Charizard. Butterfree is okay and meowth is...meh. Eevee just seems pointless.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
These updates are so fucking bad lol. Its like they are trying to tell us "Don't expect too much out of these games, we warned you...."

A month from release and I can say I will gladly skip these games.
It was the same with Smash Bros Ultimate. Every sign pointed towards and Sakurai even said there wouldn't be many Newcomers, and yet disappointment happened because everyone convinced themselves there'd be a ton that hadn't been revealed.

All signs point to there not being a ton of new Pokemon this go around. Best to set our expectations accordingly.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
When will they pay homage to other gens?

Obstagoon.png

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Giga Ledian or Rotom would have been a more appropriate way to celebrate Gamefreak's anniversary, if we're actually celebrating Gamefreak's age and not just using it as an excuse to bring Butterfree back.
Mothim, Volcarona, or Dustox if they really wanted a Mothra-esque Pokemon! I don't know why they used a butterfly.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ALso I feel like the popularity of a bunch of the prominent gen 1 pokemon has more to do with them being constantly pushed in the anime and other marketing stuff rather than them being inherently more appealing. Like, I'm convinced a ton of other Pokemon could sell similarly if given a similar push

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I picked unmemorable later gen Pokemon as extreme examples of what TCPi/Nintendo/GF is potentially working with. I like Siglyph plenty, but it's not going to get the same reactions as Charizard. Maybe Lucario would come close.

They have much more than Siglyph and even Lucario to work with. Gen I Pokemon being the most recognizable feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy since they're often the most highlighted, and they're the most highlighted because they're the most recognizable, and so on.

At this point the people who grew up with later gens are young adults and Pokemon like Mudkip, Garchomp, Gardevoir, Rowlet, etc. are more familiar and popular than Farfetch'd or Butterfree. I think Sirfetch'd is a cool idea because it enhances a dull gimmick Pokemon, not because Farfetch'd was at all popular. On the contrary I think taking unpopular or underused Pokemon from Gens II - IV like Girafarig or Bouffalant and giving them new evolutions or forms would enhance their popularity, which is what they did with Mawile and Sableye and their Mega Evolutions.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
You're free to do so just as many others have done in this thread, just as others are free to criticise it without the tired old deflections getting thrown at them (pick one): "you'll buy the game anyhow", "imagine getting this upset over a kid's game", "gen 1 still sells so you're wrong", etc.

This, pretty much.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing another user over a series of posts
It's why they revealed it today

Because today is Game Freak's 30th anniversary so they did a nice reveal of some cool stuff for their classics
Because no other Gen is classic obviously.

You know most companies tend to celebrate their entire history on their anniversaries but I guess GF is an exception.

You are being so blatant right now.

ShinyKyurem

Jul 11, 2019
Pikachu, Eevee, Charizard and Meowth are top merchandise sellers and are widely recognised across the globe. Their merchandise sells, that's why they're getting new stuff.

I was making the point that these Pokémon are what sell to the wider audience
And we aren't saying it doesn't make sense, of course it does from Game Freak's point of view, but we want other generations to get new stuff too.