• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
... I can't believe someone pulled Smash into the discussion when Smash had other reasons, actually did a lot of changes to the games to stay modern and now delivered with Ultimate on basically every aspect, and then defends Game Freak in every thread possible lmao.

The Pokemon series basically lives of its name alone at this point the games fail to deliver the aspect of being one if not the biggest gaming franchise.
The games only evolved slowly and now they are too cautious to stray from their formula eventhough you could still deliver a story/narrative driven Pokemon Game with actually good animations with anchor points, Characters that show emotions and soul while talking, in their formula on console if they took their time or.. gave it to a more competent dev.

I know these are repeated claims and talking points usually spouted by haters, but I grew up with Pokemon and after Let's Go (which I liked as a casual side game) I expected more for the switch and am sad how something so dear to me never really becomes what it could be.
Its fair to expect more but saying the pokemon games havent also changed wether it made a bigger impact on you or not doesnt seem very fair. Granted they also take steps back as well
Its not like they havent tried adding in more stories to the game outside of just beat the champion and go about your merry way. Yeah i had issues with how the characters were animated in su/mo but sword and shield seems to change that and give more personality to the gym leaders.I wish pokemon had the ability to do a bunch of different things at once but i also understand why certain things dont work. I am more tired of people going lulz they are just being lazy or w/e when we dont even know where everything is going.
I think the smash criticism only came from using resused animations which is a normal thing and shouldnt even be used as negative thing

Oct 26, 2017
... I can't believe someone pulled Smash into the discussion when Smash had other reasons, actually did a lot of changes to the games to stay modern and now delivered with Ultimate on basically every aspect, and then defends Game Freak in every thread possible lmao.

It's really desperate. I don't know what the point of that argument is. Like what does bringing up Smash have to do with Pokemon's animation issues? Not to mention, both are completely different games. It makes no sense.

Jun 2, 2019
I don't think this is the same. These are the same characters doing the same things in a fighting game series. It's a little more shameless when you have the rival character of this new game using the same animation as the rival from the old game. Like it's not even the same character. If it was literally Hau, I don't think people would mind that he had the same animation.

As I said before in the thread, Monolith has been using the same convo animations for three entries straight.

This is just petty

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
It's really desperate. I don't know what the point of that argument is. Like what does bringing up Smash have to do with Pokemon's animation issues? Not to mention, both are completely different games. It makes no sense.
And yet people compare pbr/ and the stadium games when they also have less mons and have less going on outside of just battles but people go look at these better animations like come on

Oct 26, 2017
Its fair to expect more but saying the pokemon games havent also changed wether it made a bigger impact on you or not doesnt seem very fair. Granted they also take steps back as well
I think the smash criticism only came from using resused animations which is a normal thing and shouldnt even be used as negative thing

But that's the thing, you can understand Sakurai's logic behind reusing animations. Furthermore, Sakurai is usually good at delivering some extra content to help ease the addition of reused animation. On the other hand, GF swears they are delivering quality and yet there have been tons of examples where they haven't really added much to make up for cutting the ability to transfer non-regional Pokemon.

As I said before in the thread, Monolith has been using the same convo animations for three entries straight.

This is just petty

The difference is Monolith doesn't swear that they will make up for cut content, or that reusing animations would result in a higher quality game (paraphrasing). If Masuda/GF didn't say what they said, no one would be batting an eye at reused animations.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
But that's the thing, you can understand Sakurai's logic behind reusing animations. Furthermore, Sakurai is usually good at delivering some extra content to help ease the addition of reused animation. On the other hand, GF swears they are delivering quality and yet there have been tons of examples where they haven't really added much to make up for cutting the ability to transfer non-regional Pokemon.
Sorry to burst your bubble but imo its the same thing gf is adding w/e number of new mons emphasis on new and w/e number of atks which could vary from a wide variety of numbers. The thing is they did show improvements they made imrpovements to characters emotions and how they animate. Look at bea look at nessa like that isnt just come copy and paste job. They have changed abd also updated moves. Not every move is gonna get the same treatment and thats understandable imo because just like pokemon there is a huge compendium of atks. And im not even criticizing sakurais resue of animation its literally a thing that happens in all parts of that industry and it doesnt phase me one bit. Like its fine if u dont like the direction but the way some people bring out these examples just make me believe it doesnt matter what they do they are gonna get shat on anyway

Oct 26, 2017
This makes it even MORE petty.

Also you know your just lying. This is just justifying pettiness

Did you even bother to watch the video? Because that's LITERALLY the whole impetus of the video. Saying "hurr durr ur jus lying beig petty" doesn't really mean anything when I'm not really agreeing with the video. I'm just saying the reason why people went so far as to bring up such a specific animation that none of us would have noticed on our own.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to burst your bubble but imo its the same thing gf is adding w/e number of new mons emphasis on new and w/e number of atks which could vary from a wide variety of numbers. The thing is they did show improvements they made imrpovements to characters emotions and how they animate. Look at bea look at nessa like that isnt just come copy and paste job. They have changed abd also updated moves. Not every move is gonna get the same treatment and thats understandable imo because just like pokemon there is a huge compendium of atks. And im not even criticizing sakurais resue of animation its literally a thing that happens in all parts of that industry and it doesnt phase me one bit. Like its fine if u dont like the direction but the way some people bring out these examples just make me believe it doesnt matter what they do they are gonna get shat on anyway
Yeah, this hits the nail on the head.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
Did you even bother to watch the video? Because that's LITERALLY the whole impetus of the video. Saying "hurr durr ur jus lying beig petty" doesn't really mean anything when I'm not really agreeing with the whole thing. I'm just saying the reason why people went so far as to bring up such a specific animation that none of us would have noticed on our own.
I have and it literally only focuses on like the bad shit and ignores all the actual changes as well.to me that just comes off as click bait but w/e

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
If you don't pay the bank fees regularly your pokemon get deleted.

Well, I paid it in 2014 for XY, then didn't pay until 2016 for SM and there was still a bunch of Honedge I had stored and never pulled back.

Then I never paid it, until earlier this year (silly me was tryign to get ready for SwSh) and there were still a lot of Pokémon from my multiple games and even my cousin's mons were there lol I don't even remember how or when did that happened, there's literally like 10+ boxes of his creatures, I guess he restarted one of his games at some point.

But anyways, still, even if the Pokémon were deleted, I bet some people were just gonna pay once, move everything they needed to a game, and never pay again the subscription, until they were sure they were gonna transfer them to the next game / next generation.

What I'm trying to say is maybe a lot of people don't have an active Pokémon Bank account right now, but they were/are expecting to activate it until next year, when Home was available. Or in other words, not everybody use it as a storage box, but just as a way to transfer Pokémon between games, just once every time there's a new game.

Nov 17, 2017

This is just petty
Do you mean Monolith Soft?

I don't recall convo animations being the same but if they are, they would probably be for generic NPCs. You wouldn't see Elma using Shulk's animations for example.

I get that people are on the defensive because of the heavy criticism the games have received but I'm not saying "oh my god, these characters have the same animation! I'm boycotting the game!" It's just, I wish they weren't the same and it kind of stands out to me.

So joker doing shieks up air and similar would be a better example/ animation reuse is pretty much done in the animation industry to save time. It bugs the hell out of me when people go thats so lazy
To be clear, I'm not saying it's lazy. It's just jarring to see the rival from the last game and the rival from the new game using the same exact animation.

Oct 26, 2017

The problem isn't the battle animations themselves (though people still take issues to stuff like Blastoise not being able to shoot water from cannons). It's been over 20 years and we're used to seeing certain attacks look similar. What I don't like is saying that non-Galar Pokemon were removed for animation quality (when the fact is certain animations were improved, and others remained the same). Like honestly just be up front and say it: they were cut to save time and because the team isn't 100% experienced with the hardware (makes sense, after all GF worked predominantly on handhelds with some sparse console experience).

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't the animations themselves. It's been over 20 years and we're used to seeing certain attacks look similar. What I don't like is saying that non-Galar Pokemon were removed for animation quality (when the fact is certain animations were improved, and others remained the same). Like honestly just be up front and say it: they were cut to save time and because the team isn't 100% experienced with the hardware (makes sense, after all GF worked predominantly on handhelds with some sparse console experience).
And thats fair tho we still have only seen a portion of the game. There are still a ton of other places where animation can be prevalent.Imo im still waiting to see the entire game before making judgements but im just excited to see a new region(which is why i like pokemon in the first place).
Like i am fine with people wanting to know the dex and knowing what made it in. Im even okay with people going i dont k ow if its worth my dollars. But the way some people make arguments on why we arent getting the full commpendium just annoyes the hell out of me

Do you mean Monolith Soft?

I don't recall convo animations being the same but if they are, they would probably be for generic NPCs. You wouldn't see Elma using Shulk's animations for example.

I get that people are on the defensive because of the heavy criticism the games have received but I'm not saying "oh my god, these characters have the same animation! I'm boycotting the game!" It's just, I wish they weren't the same and it kind of stands out to me.

To be clear, I'm not saying it's lazy. It's just jarring to see the rival from the last game and the rival from the new game using the same exact animation.
Im definitely not saying u are sorry if that was the impression i gave you as that wasnt my intent. But imo this doesnt even phase me. The famous gif of the snow white and robin hood animation being the exact same thing and taking courses in animation. Just made me understand that reusing animation is gonna happen in any situation. If its jarring for you that's fine but i just wanted to say that this isnt exactly an uncommon occurrence. Tho i wish gamefreak did a better job at hiding it lol

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The problem isn't the battle animations themselves (though people still take issues to stuff like Blastoise not being able to shoot water from cannons). It's been over 20 years and we're used to seeing certain attacks look similar. What I don't like is saying that non-Galar Pokemon were removed for animation quality (when the fact is certain animations were improved, and others remained the same). Like honestly just be up front and say it: they were cut to save time and because the team isn't 100% experienced with the hardware (makes sense, after all GF worked predominantly on handhelds with some sparse console experience).
Yeah, I feel like the people who are saying everyone would still be mad about the animations even if the Dex thing didn't happen don't really get the point of the criticism. People are criticizing the animations because they explicitly used them as a reason they were not adding in the non-regional dex Pokemon. Otherwise, the game would just be getting the general criticism any game, Pokemon or otherwise, gets before it comes out.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I want it to be fire/fighting just to see more salt >:). In honesty id rather see something like d/p again where we get a sort of 2nd weakness circle but in reverse where fire>water>grass kinda hard to explain but that would be nice lol
I mean I'm not gonna get mad if Scor's another Fire/Fighting, to be honest I'm indifferent to the idea of another Fire/Fighting lol, but it would be awesome to see a less used typing for a final starter evo. That's why I would love Scorbunny's final evolution to be Fire/Electric.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel like the people who are saying everyone would still be mad about the animations even if the Dex thing didn't happen don't really get the point of the criticism. People are criticizing the animations because they explicitly used them as a reason they were not adding in the non-regional dex Pokemon. Otherwise, the game would just be getting the general criticism any game, Pokemon or otherwise, gets before it comes out.
He said that "nobody would bat an eye", so nobody disagreeing with him is arguing that"everyone would still be mad". Also, there were people complaining well before and/or would've done without GF saying anything so it obviously isn't true.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the criticism and its a vaild one but when its just constantly cherry picking from what we know and not when the thing is released is my problem. If everything i had seen so far was the exact same from su/mo/x/y then i would have the same problem as the dexit group. But from what i have seen there have been updates and they are changing and improving on things. Minor to some major to others but improvments are happening and thats where i find the dexit group to lose me.

I mean I'm not gonna get mad if Scor's another Fire/Fighting, to be honest I'm indifferent to the idea of another Fire/Fighting lol, but it would be awesome to see a less used typing for a final starter evo. That's why I would love Scorbunny's final evolution to be Fire/Electric.
Yea i think a fire/elec type would be cool. I do hope GF becomes a bit more willing to mix up the typings up a bit. I like volcanion for the sheer fact its a fire/water type lol

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I had to make this when I thought of it
35fr04.jpg

Crazy how shit changes

Oct 26, 2017
He said that "nobody would bat an eye", so nobody disagreeing with him is arguing that"everyone would still be mad". Also, there were people complaining well before and/or would've done without GF saying anything so it obviously isn't true.

If you're going to quote me, then quote me properly instead of cherry-picking a phrase to create a strawman. I said "If Masuda/GF didn't say what they said, then no one would be batting an eye."

As in, if they never said that removal of non-Galar Pokemon resulted in overall higher quality animations, then no one would be this hyper-focused around cherry-picking animations to make a point. That's why I specifically mentioned in a responding post, that none of us would have noticed the Hau animation reused on our own.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to quote me, then quote me properly instead of cherry-picking a phrase to create a strawman. I said "If Masuda/GF didn't say what they said, then no one would be batting an eye."

As in, if they never said that removal of non-Galar Pokemon resulted in overall higher quality animations, then no one would be this hyper-focused around cherry-picking animations to make a point.
"no one would be batting an eye" and "no one would be this hyper-focused" are not the same thing.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I had to make this when I thought of it
35fr04.jpg

Crazy how shit changes
That's what happens when you have one series being run by a perfectionist who goes out of his way to please long time fans, and a different one that's shackled to an incessant multimedia machine and is run by an undersized team that would rather pander to nostalgia instead of giving long time fans what they want.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
That's what happens when you have one series being run by a perfectionist who goes out of his way to please long time fans, and a different one that's shackled to an incessant multimedia machine and is run by an undersized team that would rather pander to nostalgia instead of giving long time fans what they want.
That's weird because plenty of long time fans are pleased with Pokémon but they don't count because reasons

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Are we pretending that Smash players don't complain about Smash and the community doesn't have a bunch of toxic people?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
This has got to be the most exhausting pre-release for a Pokemon game ever man lol.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I will always be eternally thankful to Sakurai for choosing Incineroar over the other starters lol.

Go my tiger boi!

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
This has got to be the most exhausting pre-release for a Pokemon game ever man lol.
while exhausting in a morbid way its also been at least something different and lead to some interesting discussions(?)
Revisionist history. I remember the discourse around gen 4 and gen 5 though. Wasn't pretty.
pokemon never wins expectations are so all over the place gamefreak will never meet them lol

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Four more months to go and then it will probably get worse lol.

??

Not sure what you're gaining from being pedantic over an idiom use. Worry about the fact that you misquote and can't regurgitate an argument properly.
Probably because it has a completely different meaning from what you meant to say, which is why people were calling you a liar.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I dont get the balancing excuse, aren't the stats and movesets what determine whether a pokemon is useful or not in battle? If they wanted weaker pokemon to be more useful, they could've fixed their stats and movesets. Not to mention that they dont have to do this for all 800+, but only the final evolutions.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
At least Gamefreak was still trying to appeal to their entire audience back then. The discourse is way worse nowadays.
How were they trying to appeal to the whole audience exactly? Having all the Pokémon doesn't mean they were. People have been wanting very different things from these games from the beginning, and past gens got crap for it just as much as the recent ones but everyone wants to forget that

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get the balancing excuse, aren't the stats and movesets what determine whether a pokemon is useful or not in battle? If they wanted weaker pokemon to be more useful, they could've fixed their stats and movesets. Not to mention that they dont have to do this for all 800+, but only the final evolutions.
Having certain pokemon not be in the dex could also be seen as balancing imo. Look at landours and some other pokemon on showdown that take up a chunk of teams. Gamefreak has been updating stats since gen5 or 6? but not by much im hoping they make some more substantial revamps this time around. They could also of course just ban the pokemon that arent native to that region like they did in the past, but imo maybe they felt they could have used the resources out there. Tho the point is a vaild one

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The number of Pokemon and which ones actually make the cut affect balancing as well.

At least Gamefreak was still trying to appeal to their entire audience back then. Thanks to Dexit, the discourse is way worse nowadays.
Twitter and social media weren't as big back then and with BW there were a ton of complaints on the internet. The stuff we see now didn't happen back then.

Gen 5 was also when they started cutting certain things things(which was likely a response to how dumb some of the things in gen 4 was), so I don't see the "still trying to appeal to all audiences" thing.

Oct 26, 2017
Probably because it has a completely different meaning from what you meant to say, which is why people were calling you a liar.

Because you completely misunderstood and focused on the wrong thing. Unsurprisingly. People were attacking the reasoning I brought up, not because I used an idiom.

Also, I don't see you throwing fits over the word "lie" be misused, as it's impossible to lie about a situation that's at best a guess, given we don't have access to a time machine or the ability to see alternate timeline. So yes, you were unnecessarily pedantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.