• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
To be fair, who even ever remembers Cosmoem?

Who could forget this pretty face?

790.png

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
1562649753889.png

It spoke about Alcreamie way before yesterday's Direct so, could it be true?

"Some of them getting new clothes" could explain Red's new design in Pokemon Masters and this might use the Pokemon Masters trainer models(Or Masters is using SwSh models, it could go either way). It would basically be the return of the Pokemon World Tournament and would fit the football theme of Galar really well.

Anyway, I don't really believe this. I would believe it if talked about Alcreamie by name but the description has so little detail that it could be just a guess.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
One thing I hope happens for online battles is that we get better background scenery during online battles. I want to feel like I'm battling other players in a stadium full with NPC cheering

Considering the gym battles, I think it's pretty likely we'll get that for online battles too.

I mean, obviously. I'm just not sure what people see in these designs. I'm not knocking anyone for it, but I'm just not seeing what makes these "so much better" than Gen 6 or 7.

Personally, though I really liked Gen VII in the sense that they really worked with the Alola region, I feel like they kinda started to go way too much into Disney direction with the new designs. This whole debate of "they don't look like Pokémon anymore".

The Gen VIII designs (so far) had something to them, that I can't point, that, I repeat, TO ME, they give me that "Pokémon" vibe, at least more than Gen VII or even VI did. Drednaw could've very well been a Gen III Pokémon, or even a Gen I if you tone it down a little. Alcreamie and Rolycoly could've been from Gen V (which already had its own "don't look like Pokémon" phase but almost 10 years later they've already become part of the "definition" of Pokémon). Duralodon also could work as a Gen II or III, if it wasn't for the way its artwork is colored.

tl;dr; I feel they're portraying a more defined "Pokémon feeling" than the previous two generations in general, even if I'm not particularly fascinated by one design individually.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Personally, though I really liked Gen VII in the sense that they really worked with the Alola region, I feel like they kinda started to go way too much into Disney direction with the new designs. This whole debate of "they don't look like Pokémon anymore".

The Gen VIII designs (so far) had something to them, that I can't point, that, I repeat, TO ME, they give me that "Pokémon" vibe, at least more than Gen VII or even VI did. Drednaw could've very well been a Gen III Pokémon, or even a Gen I if you tone it down a little. Alcreamie and Rolycoly could've been from Gen V (which already had its own "don't look like Pokémon" phase but almost 10 years later they've already become part of the "definition" of Pokémon). Duralodon also could work as a Gen II or III, if it wasn't for the way its artwork is colored.

tl;dr; I feel they're portraying a more defined "Pokémon feeling" than the previous two generations in general, even if I'm not particularly fascinated by one design individually.
Awesome, thanks for explaining. I don't personally feel the same way, but it's really interesting how different peoples' perceptions of what makes a good Pokemon design can be!

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'm pretty sure GF wants to avoid Jynx at all cost

I'm pretty sure they don't, or if that's the case, they have very strange ways to "avoid her at all cost" considering she's appeared in the past two generations: in the Kalos Pokédex and the Alola Pokédex (from Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon which is even more recent). Besides that, she was featured this past winter on a Pokémon Go event. (And of course, obviously Let's Go but that's not indicative of anything).

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The Italian name for Gigantamaxing is Gigamaxing. This is one of the first time I like the localized name better than the original one, it perfectly suits the pair Gigamaxing/Dynamaxing.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure they don't, or if that's the case, they have very strange ways to "avoid her at all cost" considering she's appeared in the past two generations: in the Kalos Pokédex and the Alola Pokédex (from Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon which is even more recent). Besides that, she was featured this past winter on a Pokémon Go event. (And of course, obviously Let's Go but that's not indicative of anything).
Jynx doesn't really appears in the anime anymore, doesn't get merch,etc.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Did they ever state why they did 3 fire fightings in a row?
You only need to look at the other two gen five starters to see GF reasoning. Serperior was the third mono Grass type starter by gen five, and same goes with Samurott with it being the third mono water type starter. No one notice the trend because they were too preoccupied with the third fire/fighting starter in a row.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yep! Jamie Hewlett and Damon Albarn did a stage adaption of Journey to the West between Demon Days and Plastic Beach. Its companion album was also meant to be credited to Gorillaz, but couldn't for legal reasons.
Yeah I remember that adaptation! Wow it's been so long that I just realized that I never actually saw any artwork for Journey to the West ever. That's so trippy.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
D--KklnVUAAp2HM.jpg

Silhouette of Yamper's evolution on the wall behind the Chairman? Looks like a sleek racing dog. Electric greyhound?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
You only need to look at the other two gen five starters to see GF reasoning. Serperior was the third mono Grass type starter by gen five, and same goes with Samurott with it being the third mono water type starter. No one notice the trend because they were too preoccupied with the third fire/fighting starter in a row.
The difference is maintaining the original typing of the starter isn't something I'd expect changed. It just felt weird dealing with three fire fighting starters in a row, since if you are going to do secondary typing, why fighting again and again?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
D--KklnVUAAp2HM.jpg

Silhouette of Yamper's evolution on the wall behind the Chairman? Looks like a sleek racing dog. Electric greyhound?

Greyhound would make a lot of sense, in the UK we still have a fair few tracks that support greyhound races. Little weird for Yamper to completely change dog breed but I guess it is just classified as "Puppy".

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Jynx doesn't really appears in the anime anymore, doesn't get merch,etc.

In terms of anime and merch there's lots of Pokémon that have been ignored for years too.

However Jynx has been at least relatively present in the latest TCG expansions. So again, I don't think they have anything in particular against Jynx, not more or less than any other Pokémon that hasn't been that featured either, like Dewgong, Venonat, Shiftry, etc.

Anyways, even if she's been banned from anime and merch, that's a separete thing from the videogames, and in the videogames she's been anything but ignored, especially in the latest generations, so I don't know why it couldn't gain a new form/gimmick in the new games. That can just be ignored from the anime like most Mega evolutions if they have to.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The difference is maintaining the original typing of the starter isn't something I'd expect changed. It just felt weird dealing with three fire fighting starters in a row, since if you are going to do secondary typing, why fighting again and again?
With Infernape it was just a coincidence, like how Feraligatr was the second mono water type pokemon in a row. That's my guess, and with Emboar they just wanted a three of a set for the starter types for some reason.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Also, anime wise, I'm going to guess that Ash's companions this time around are going to be Milo and Nessa, he always seems to have at least one gym leader with him.

Milo just screams lovable oaf, and Nessa seems like another female companion/possible love interest. Don't see them going for the female trainer this go round.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I see Team Sword remains the undisputed leader. As it should.

Also the Corgi growing big wont' stop it being cute. Imagine something like this, but you know, electric-y:

husky-siberiano-caracteristicas-guia-racas.webp

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, anime wise, I'm going to guess that Ash's companions this time around are going to be Milo and Nessa, he always seems to have at least one gym leader with him.

Milo just screams lovable oaf, and Nessa seems like another female companion/possible love interest. Don't see them going for the female trainer this go round.
I rather they move away from journeying gym leaders. I always found it weird for them to neglect their duties. and now with corporate sponsors and shit, it's a proper job they can't be running around with some kid for

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I rather they move away from journeying gym leaders. I always found it weird for them to neglect their duties. and now with corporate sponsors and shit, it's a proper job they can't be running around with some kid for
It's a reality, they are going to be his coach. If anyone gets Ash to win a league, they wins the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.