• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
According to GameFreak haters literally every spin-off, from N64 to Wii, and even mobile, looks better than SWSH. It's pretty hilarious.

I'm not head over heels with Sword and Shield by any means but when people make this claim it makes me want to dunk my head in a fish tank. This isn't good for the fish. It must stop.

Some have good animations, though.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I like how SM looks in Citra (and would say it looks better than Lets Go if only because the map is not grid based, and everything feels better), but SnS looks better than SM Citra, if only due to much bigger areas and details (just look at the cities for instance). Main problem right now is the maps feeling empty without NPC, though I believe it will have a lot more stuff going on once it launches.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone saying Duraludon is the Mecha Godzilla to Tyranitar's Godzilla. And here's me thinking that Aggron already filled that role.

250px-306Aggron.png

They were even paired up as counterparts recieving Mega Evolutions at the same time!

tyranitar-mega.jpg

aggron-mega.jpg

Are we already forgetting about Aggron?

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
We just had one saying that Sun and Moon on CEMU looks better.

He's absolutely wrong.

That's not always the case with some people, but even if we only take animations they're not all better, and specifically the particle effects are leagues better in SWSH.

The particles effects are definitely better, but they are all there is, just imagine how it'll look without them in Sw/Sh, pretty bad imo.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, let's look at that Pokémon Masters battle animation then :P or GO, or Duel, or Rumble Rush
We haven't seen enough of Master even trough syncs moves look pretty great? If we can give SwSh the benefit of doubt that they are gonna fix them until release date then why not with Masters?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
We have seen enough of Master even trough syncs moves look pretty great? If we can give SwSh the benefit of doubt that they are gonna fix them until release date then why not with Masters?
But look at them closely :P They're anmations from the main game with huge effects between

I'm just pointing out the absurdity of people saying things like that are better than SWSH

Jun 2, 2019
Animation wise they do.

Yeah i'm not so sure about that, it's equally bad having limited animations and too long animations. Not to mention that they still fell under the umbrella of "Too many attacks using the same animation" sometimes in a hilariously bad way.

And yes i'm saying this having put an insane amount of hours into Stadium, Stadium 2, Colosseum, XD and Battle Revolution.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Pokémon are animated with so much more life and locomotion in the anime. Some really inert-looking Pokémon have definitely come to life there (like Cofagrigus). I've learned not to count anyone out until I've seen them there, even though I am not an active-viewer.

Pokken was the best for that. Unfortunate graphical style aside the game has the most personality of any Pokemon game with the animation by a wide margin.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
I think Alcreamie is a 2 stage line (with a pre-evo) or possibly an evolution, which would be weird. That's the thing with new Pokémon, even though we have the leak talking about Pikachu and Meowth, the thought of a new Pokémon getting a Gigantamax form AND an evolution, seems, weird. Like, the Gigantamax form would totally overshadow the evolution.

Also, Corviknight and Drednaw could perfectly have pre-evolutions, but again, if the goal is to find the special Corviknight or Drednaw that can Gigantamax, nobody will focus on getting the pre-evolution that will evolve into a common specimen, so the pre-evolution gets overshadowed. So I feel like they might end up being 1 stage lines, unless Corviknight really is the regional bird.

I still have doubts about Duraludon. It could end up being like Haxorus, but I also feel like it could be the pseudo, despite its design. But I give it 3 stages too.

And Rolycoly, I feel like it's gonna be 3 as well, like Geodude. Yamper will get 1 evolution.

Someone brought up that in the leak,
it said that only fully evolved Pokemon can gigantamax. Other than special pre-evolved exceptions like Pikachu.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i'm not so sure about that, it's equally bad having limited animations and too long animations. Not to mention that they still fell under the umbrella of "Too many attacks using the same animation" sometimes in a hilariously bad way.

And yes i'm saying this having put an insane amount of hours into Stadium, Stadium 2, Colosseum, XD and Battle Revolution.
Whatever, I still think that Blastoise shooting water from his actual canons is far better than the water just materializing itself.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

The ideal would obviously be having animations like Stadium and the others, but sped up or shortened.

Jun 2, 2019
Whatever, I still think that Blastoise shooting water from his actual canons is far better than the water just materializing itself.

There are loads of stupid animations on the HAL/Genius Sonority games too

The ideal would obviously be having animations like Stadium and the others, but sped up or shortened.
I would rather have the opposite: The current animations we already have, but detailer enough to not be stiff. The Stadium line's animations were... overdetailed

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
There are loads of stupid animations on the HAL/Genius Sonority games too

I would rather have the opposite: The current animations we already have, but detailer enough to not be stiff. The Stadium line's animations were... overdetailed
You're right, there are a few that are a bit too overly detailed. The thing I liked the most about those games is that a lot of Pokemon had interesting idle animations, fainting animations, and taking a hit animations. Pokemon like Kecleon, Sableye, Honchkrow etc. really benefited from that.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

I'd like a sped up/shortened version since some people are fine with whatever was shown. Though people could always just turn off battle animations too. I just wish Pokemon getting hit moved a bit more smoothly in the Gamefreak games. Camera work in SwSh don't look as exciting. For me the trainer battles in the 3DS games in general made me feel "I want to get this battle over with" rather than enjoying the trainer battles from Colosseum/XD. They just don't feel exciting.

Delete this nightmare fuel please

Ce2HXuC.gif

No, I want you to look at it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Such as? I swear people always put down other games to prop SeSh yet they never show the receips.
Also, "stupid" animation>>>>>> Bad, almost non existent "animation".

If we're talking about Stadium then most of the animations in their older games look really awkward and janky like they had very few key frames. The best thing you can really say is that unique move animations existed. Some of the entrance animations are actually comedic in how bad they looked.
Even their most recent battle sim game had some laughably weird animation for both the trainers and pokemon.
There's a lot of awkwardly shimmying over to the opponent to hit them in that game.

Super MD may be the only game where you can have Wailord following you though
pokemon-super-mystery-dungeon-screenshots-22.jpg

Last edited:

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't in the main accurate leak. That's from another one (and probably fake).

I hope you're right, but it doesn't make sense that a multistage evolution line would all get unique gigantamax forms. It makes more sense to me that the final one would, especially if they already can't bring all the previous Pokemon over.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
My biggest complaint about Pokemon animation is that they are way too slow for how simple they are. Pokemon games would improve a ton if battles had the pace of something like Persona 5. A lot of it is just text too.

Maybe if animations were intricate like the battle sim games the slow pace could be justified, but everything is just super slow in Pokemon. I especially hate how they handle multihit moves.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Man, looking back and forth between the footage and the official map artwork, you can tell its really inaccurate. Nessa's city is like 3 times bigger, the routes are nowhere to be found on the map outside of the brown grass enclosures near Milo, and I have a really good feeling that the mines outside of the Steam City will be this massive complex crisscross of tunnels, we have had so many screens and footage within them and nothing looks to be connected despite them being pretty large looking already.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Maybe if animations were intricate like the battle sim games the slow pace could be justified, but everything is just super slow in Pokemon. I especially hate how the handle multihit moves.
This is one of my biggest issues too. Especially since you end up having to watch the same simple-looking animation anywhere from two to five times in a row with a couple of seconds of pause in between. It's especially egregious for things like double kick or bullet seed, where while the Pokemon does the move, they just bounce in place without any animation change.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, looking back and forth between the footage and the official map artwork, you can tell its really inaccurate. Nessa's city is like 3 times bigger, the routes are nowhere to be found on the map outside of the brown grass enclosures near Milo, and I have a really good feeling that the mines outside of the Steam City will be this massive complex crisscross of tunnels, we have had so many screens and footage within them and nothing looks to be connected despite them being pretty large looking already.
Fucked up thing is I still like it more than Sun and Moon's map. That shit was unfortunately to scale.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's very inaccurate, yeah. It's not like the ORAS or SMUSUM maps where it was 1:1. This is a lot bigger than the map shows

Deleted member 41713

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Neither are those Raids.
You know that, right ?
Nor are these. You can do them locally, for free, or failing that with CPU players...also for free.
If online features are not locked, in that case I take it back and I'm glad that raids and the GTS can be enjoyed by players without having to pay for Nintendo Online. This decision so far is the only thing that I support GF on regarding these games. Good on them.

Neither are SwSh's, because you can play solo offline and via local wireless. Except in Go, you're limited to a raid a day, unless you buy Premium Passes, which might cost real money. And you need to be outside, at a gym, to play. And you most likely can't solo raids if they're above Level 3, because you're on your own instead of having AI help you.
So there are quite a few differences that might actually make the Raids in SwSh popular. Having event Pokémon in raids is going to be crucial for this.
Small correction, you can do 2 regular raids a day if you don't use passes every day, just spin the poke stop and you get another raid pass. Premium raids have no limit if you have passes. I do multiple a day a few times a week. Also you don't have to pay real money, raid passes are obtainable through gameplay. I didn't spend a dime on GO and still get to enjoy all it's features and raids.

Sword and Shield are the most visually impressive Pokémon games by a meaningful margin. Whether you are pleased with it or not is a totally different story, of course, but Sword and Shield is many times more grand than any of the 3DS games and Citra is not enough to change that. I definitely get that it's not as grand of a leap as people wanted, hoped, or possibly expect, but that doesn't mean the improvement isn't otherwise apparent.
I completely agree that they're not as grand, no argument there, but when I look at the regular battles we've seen it's hard to tell the difference sometimes. As you say, the leap is there, just very minimal it seems.
Even setting aside the visuals for a second (and Citra Sun and Moon doesn't even compare, come on), the scope and scale of the world's so much advanced over Sun and Moon to make the comparison utterly meaningless. S/M's small flat cities and routes don't even slightly compare.
You're right, the scale is bigger for sure, but some regular battles we saw in that E3 demo looked very similar to some stuff citra can do. It's just disappointing that the leap isn't greater.
---
im sure they do lmao
My eyes roll so hard now I can see my past life.

If someone without knowledge of the games looked at these screenshots for example, it would be hard to tell which one is the switch game. I'm just saying that the expectation going into a home console was a bit higher, I think it's not okay that the update (not counting dynamxed gym battles) to the switch is not as big as one would expect.

Screenshot from a 3DS Emulator battle
mz8GfeG.jpg
Screenshot from Switch battle
990RZho.jpg

Sorry I couldn't find on google two battles with the same background, but at least we can see the leap in the models is minimal (I get that they're "futureproofed" but still).

I'll get the dual pack, one pair for you too ;)

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

I'd like a sped up/shortened version since some people are fine with whatever was shown. Though people could always just turn off battle animations too. I just wish Pokemon getting hit moved a bit more smoothly in the Gamefreak games. Camera work in SwSh don't look as exciting. For me the trainer battles in the 3DS games in general made me feel "I want to get this battle over with" rather than enjoying the trainer battles from Colosseum/XD. They just don't feel exciting.

Ce2HXuC.gif

No, I want you to look at it.

See, that I don't mind. I want no parts of that running animation though

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the map not being 1:1 is amazing because the map they shared it's quite big but it just shows how much bigger Galar is compared to other regions. Even more considering we haven't seen much apart from a few glimpses of some routes and cities. I think we have more footage about the gyms and the Wild Zone than the routes and cities.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Small correction, you can do 2 regular raids a day if you don't use passes every day, just spin the poke stop and you get another raid pass. Premium raids have no limit if you have passes. I do multiple a day a few times a week. Also you don't have to pay real money, raid passes are obtainable through gameplay. I didn't spend a dime on GO and still get to enjoy all it's features and raids.
If over the span of two days the maximum amount of raids you can do for free is two, then it's still one raid a day.
And yes, you may buy passes with coins obtained strictly through gameplay, but that is not why Go is constantly at the top of the most profitable apps charts. People buy those passes in droves, because one special raid day is enough to run you dry.
None of those limitations will be in the SwSh raids. A better comparison are MMO raids, which are also very much popular among their player bases.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
the special gigantamaxxing juice

HAHA1.gif

Well, that was the Sword OF JUSTICE, this will be just Sword and Shield :P And this was pre-Disney era (I'm specifically talking about US, and thus, the rest of the countries that dub the US adaptation). But yeah, I mean, I particularly don't find nothing wrong with it, but seeing how sensitive they've become over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if they find a problem with it. Hopefully not.

Corviknight is definitely the 3 stage regional line.
I wonder if Pokemon breed from a Raid Pokemon can Gigantamax, if not then Gigantamax is going to be very limited in competitive.

I was thinking about that too. Who knows if it's gonna be treated as an especial ability, or it will be like a pseudo-alternative form.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If online features are not locked, in that case I take it back and I'm glad that raids and the GTS can be enjoyed by players without having to pay for Nintendo Online. This decision so far is the only thing that I support GF on regarding these games. Good on them.
Some features require online.

Max Raid Battle is not online exclusive.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

I completely agree that they're not as grand, no argument there, but when I look at the regular battles we've seen it's hard to tell the difference sometimes. As you say, the leap is there, just very minimal it seems.

You're right, the scale is bigger for sure, but some regular battles we saw in that E3 demo looked very similar to some stuff citra can do. It's just disappointing that the leap isn't greater.
---

If someone without knowledge of the games looked at these screenshots for example, it would be hard to tell which one is the switch game. I'm just saying that the expectation going into a home console was a bit higher, I think it's not okay that the update (not counting dynamxed gym battles) to the switch is not as big as one would expect.

Screenshot from a 3DS Emulator battle
mz8GfeG.jpg
Screenshot from Switch battle
990RZho.jpg

Sorry I couldn't find on google two battles with the same background, but at least we can see the leap in the models is minimal (I get that they're "futureproofed" but still).

I'll get the dual pack, one pair for you too ;)
Here's a screenshot of a similar battle arena in both
zBMpTXy.jpg

32.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.