• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
The Geller situation has always been rather confusing to me. It's clearly still around considering how the TCG handles it, but it wasn't enough of an issue to change Kadabra within the games. The Alakazam cards still show a tiny Kadabra on the cards too. And as mentioned above he did get a plush recently. So all of that's fine, apparently? How strange.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just threw this together for easier speculation on the July 14th rumor since we can probably identify some of the creatures implied as a result of this trailer and cross-reference with the Affleck Leak.

july14thimagewcj8m.jpg

I don't have all my rumors straight but I personally think this image is dubious. It seems to combine creatures implied in the Affleck Leak with another rumor that alleged things like a six-armed Gigantimax Machamp and an elongated Gigantimax Meowth. I don't have that rumor in front of me though.

The Meowth duality is depicted in this image, however, as #7 matches Affleck's description of Meowth and #20 matches the "elongated Meowth" rumor. So either the Affleck Leak and the Gigantimax post are both accurate or this image is just combining confirmed information with other rumors for clout.

I dunno, though. We'll see. It's fun to consider either way.

Edit: Oh, also, next to the longcat picture is "#250026159". There's some leftover watermark/image data junk in the collage though so it could just be that.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really the whole Galarian Form Evolution was the only way they could provide cross generation evolutions and not have to fight against the Eviolite conundrum.

Game Freak really like consistency, that's why new evolution methods are needed for existing Pokémon. It's why Leafeon didn't evolve from Eevee with the Leaf Stone. Basically they want it to be the case that the reason it evolved is new and they didn't have the thing in that region and that's why it couldn't happen.

Due to that, Eviolite not working on Linoone would mean they'd have a problem with their consistency, but Galarian Linoone evolving avoids that.

Apologies if this has been covered already but wouldnt this put a damper in Sirfetch'd then since it was called an evolution of Farfetch'd, and there was no mention of a Galarian Farfetch'd

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Apologies if this has been covered already but wouldnt this put a damper in Sirfetch'd then since it was called an evolution of Farfetch'd, and there was no mention of a Galarian Farfetch'd

The assumption is that Farfetch'd would have a regional form not detailed in the Affleck Leak. This is if the Eviolite Theory is true.

If normal Farfetch'd does evolve to Sirfetch'd without its own regional form, then the Eviolite Theory is finally dead.

I personally hope it's the latter because I hate the Eviolite Theory, despite subscribing to it myself now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Geller situation has always been rather confusing to me. It's clearly still around considering how the TCG handles it, but it wasn't enough of an issue to change Kadabra within the games. The Alakazam cards still show a tiny Kadabra on the cards too. And as mentioned above he did get a plush recently. So all of that's fine, apparently? How strange.
either Geller (or his lawyers) stopped caring, or TPC is just playing it safe. though there's no reason for TPC to do much more since the abra line isn't particularly relevant right now

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy idea for Galarian forms

Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligator (Water/Fighting)
Chikorita/Bayleaf/Meganium (Grass/Dark)
Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion (Fire/Psychic)

Player picks one after second gym

Cofagrigus (Ghost/Psychic)
Mantine (Water/Steel)

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
either Geller (or his lawyers) stopped caring, or TPC is just playing it safe. though there's no reason for TPC to do much more since the abra line isn't particularly relevant right now

Oh yeah, it doesn't appear to be a strong concern anymore nowadays, that's for sure. I just think it's strange how it has always affected the TCG the most, but not to the extend that they scrubbed Kadabra's presence from the Alakazam cards. Did Geller's lawyers target the card game in particular, or what?

Though you do have that weird situation where everstones don't affect Kadabra while they do stop the other trade evolutions. A bizarre little detail. Idk, it's not particularly important stuff nor does it bother me, but I just think it's all rather fascinating. Haha.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The assumption is that Farfetch'd would have a regional form not detailed in the Affleck Leak. This is if the Eviolite Theory is true.

If normal Farfetch'd does evolve to Sirfetch'd without its own regional form, then the Eviolite Theory is finally dead.

I personally hope it's the latter because I hate the Eviolite Theory, despite subscribing to it myself now.

I guess this would be my stance as well. It makes sense but it is still incredibly ridiculous nonetheless.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Oh yeah, it doesn't appear to be a strong concern anymore nowadays, that's for sure. I just think it's strange how it has always affected the TCG the most, but not to the extend that they scrubbed Kadabra's presence from the Alakazam cards. Did Geller's lawyers target the card game in particular, or what?

Though you do have that weird situation where everstones don't affect Kadabra while they do stop the other trade evolutions. A bizarre little detail. Idk, it's not particularly important stuff nor does it bother me, but I just think it's all rather fascinating. Haha.
He got annoyed that Japanese fans asked him to sign Kadabra cards

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I hope 28 is Gigantamax Venomoth.

The most forgotten Gen 1 Pokemon deserves it.
I don't think it's a Gigantamax form, mostly because on the image the possible Gigantamax forms are grouped together, what is possible is Galarian Venomoth or they pull a Linoone and have Galar Forms of Venonaut and Venomoth with a Venomoth evoultion that's Bug/Fairy

What's the Evolite theory?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Just threw this together for easier speculation on the July 14th rumor since we can probably identify some of the creatures implied as a result of this trailer and cross-reference with the Affleck Leak.

july14thimagewcj8m.jpg

I don't have all my rumors straight but I personally think this image is dubious. It seems to combine creatures implied in the Affleck Leak with another rumor that alleged things like a six-armed Gigantimax Machamp and an elongated Gigantimax Meowth. I don't have that rumor in front of me though.

The Meowth duality is depicted in this image, however, as #7 matches Affleck's description of Meowth and #20 matches the "elongated Meowth" rumor. So either the Affleck Leak and the Gigantimax post are both accurate or this image is just combining confirmed information with other rumors for clout.

I dunno, though. We'll see. It's fun to consider either way.

Edit: Oh, also, next to the longcat picture is "#250026159". There's some leftover watermark/image data junk in the collage though so it could just be that.

I think its probably fake. Like they threw in things from the more legit leaks and made it in the style of that image leak from gen 7. I think they got lucky getting something sort of close to Morpeko but I think that's just a coincidence and if they actually knew, they would have used Pikachu rather than Clefable and Gengar. Not having Obstagoon and Galar Weezing hints is fishy too.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I think its probably fake. Like they threw in things from the more legit leaks and made it in the style of that image leak from gen 7. I think they got lucky getting something sort of close to Morpeko but I think that's just a coincidence and if they actually knew, they would have used Pikachu rather than Clefable and Gengar. Not having Obstagoon and Galar Weezing hints is fishy too.
Apparently the 8-Ball with Top Hat is Galar Weezing

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
What's the Evolite theory?

The Eviolite Theory suggests that the reason Game Freak stopped making evolutions to existing Pokémon was due to the introduction of Eviolite. Eviolite is a held item that gives a boost to any Pokémon's defensive stats as long as it isn't fully evolved. Some believe that no new evolutions were introduced after Generation IV because this would cause a continuity issue with the item Eviolite.

For example, say Ursaring received a new evolution and became part of a three stage line. Ursaring would now be able to use Eviolite even though it could not in previous games. According to some, this is an unacceptable continuity error that Game Freak would never allow. So no new evolutions of Pokémon that did not already evolve were ever introduced again.

Regional evolutions in Galar seem to compliment this theory. Normal Linoone, for example, cannot evolve in to Obstagoon and therefore cannot use Eviolite. But Galarian Linoone, which is a different never-before-seen species, is able to do so without without continuity conflict.

If this sounds confusing, bizarre, and arbitrary to you, that's because it is.

A lot of people, myself included, hate this theory because it's totally illogical. The idea that Eviolite is some sacred cow that must be worked around and respected for the sake of consistency is ridiculous. Claims that Game Freak makes these decisions for the sake of consistency seems easily disproven by all the times Game Freak has made major mechanical changes that created an inconsistent Pokémon experience - including adjustments to how some Pokémon evolve, such as Feebas and Umbreon/Espeon.

But even naysayers and eyerollers like me have to admit that regional evolutions seem to specifically work around Eviolite to bring back one of Pokémon's most popular abandoned trademarks. We are now sort of waiting to see what happens with Farfetch'd because the Affleck Leak doesn't indicate that Farfetch'd appears in a form native only to Galar.

So if normal Farfetch'd evolves in to Sirfetch'd, Farfetch'd will be able to use Eviolite despite not being able to previously and the theory is finally killed. But if the theory is true, then we should not expect to see Farfetch'd in this game at all and will see a Galarian Farfetch'd instead.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
That would have been kinda obvious though. Who ever this guy is, they are making it purposfully vague

Its purposefully vague so that people interpret things as being hints when they aren't. That Giganto Machamp is just using Machamp's picture though and some of the pictures are just animals so it's still supposed to be obvious. Even if he wanted to be vague about Weezing he wouldn't pick a magic 8-ball with arms and legs because that makes no sense.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Today I'm learning that one of my like top 3 favorite pokemon Kadabra is based on an illusionist who's been suing them for 20 years.

If TPC wants to wipe the slate clean and give Abra a Baphomet-inspired regional Galarian line I'll have no complaints.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Galarian Weezing will evolve in to the legendary three-headed Weezing mentioned in the PokéDex entry from Black and White:

Seems like it's now or never if they want to make that real.
mutations would be a cool additional variant to find. especially shiny mutations.

*obviously not negative mutations but aesthetic ones

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't even be mad if the whole Galarian Pokédex was just alternative forms of Pokémon from previous generations lol.