• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. It seems weird Meowth would have both Alolan and Galarian forms and evos. You'd think the idea of revisiting old Pokémon would avoid Pokémon they have already revisited - especially so recently.

Think of the merchandising opportunities, though.
I reckon there wont be a Galarian Meowth, it will be normal Meowth that will get a new evolution and Alolan Meowth/Persian wont get one. Basically the inverse of the situation with Obstagoon and normal Zigzagoon not being able to evolve into it

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
As nice as the character models are, I can't help but think "better lighting and materials would go a long way".

Everything just has the same damn texture
The Pokémon do use different materials, it's subtle but done well. The humans could use some cloth looking material for the clothes though

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokémon do use different materials, it's subtle but done well. The humans could use some cloth looking material for the clothes though
Not through texture (though that could be better) but through shaders and whatnot. Everything diffuses the same amount of light and that erks me to no end

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Now that i think about it i think there's a Gen 2 Pokemon that would make perfect sense having a Galaran Form

Snubball/Granbull

Here me out on this one - The British Bulldog is one of the most well known Dog Breeds in the United Kingdom and easily the most recongizable but what's important is the British Bulldog's assoication with a historical figure that being Winston Churchill

main-qimg-79ff539bbb4174137af1a0880a69f3d3.webp

Whom he was known as the British Bulldog due to his face resembling a Bulldog by many pepole so why not go with that inspiration and base an Galarian Snubull/Granbull on the peroid of history that Winston was famous for - World War 2. This game clearly takes inspiration for the World Wars in some areas - for example Nurse Joy where's a WW1 Nurse Outfit so why not go with that for the Snuball and Granbull lines. Have an Galaran Snubbull and Graull look like WW1/2 British Soliders complete with Hat that is too large for Snubbull. I think it would be a neat history reference and would make sense for Snubull and Granbull having an Galar Form due to how well known British Bulldogs are. As for it's type - they could go back to Normal and give it a Steel type to make it Normal/Steel or just add on the Steel type for Steel/Fairy - either way it works extremely well in my own opinion.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Now that i think about it i think there's a Gen 2 Pokemon that would make perfect sense having a Galaran Form

Snubball/Granbull

Here me out on this one - The British Bulldog is one of the most well known Dog Breeds in the United Kingdom and easily the most recongizable but what's important is the British Bulldog's assoication with a historical figure that being Winston Churchill

main-qimg-79ff539bbb4174137af1a0880a69f3d3.webp

Whom he was known as the British Bulldog due to his face resembling a Bulldog by many pepole so why not go with that inspiration and base an Galarian Snubull/Granbull on the peroid of history that Winston was famous for - World War 2. This game clearly takes inspiration for the World Wars in some areas - for example Nurse Joy where's a WW1 Nurse Outfit so why not go with that for the Snuball and Granbull lines. Have an Galaran Snubbull and Graull look like WW1/2 British Soliders complete with Hat that is too large for Snubbull. I think it would be a neat history reference and would make sense for Snubull and Granbull having an Galar Form due to how well known British Bulldogs are. As for it's type - they could go back to Normal and give it a Steel type to make it Normal/Steel or just add on the Steel type for Steel/Fairy - either way it works extremely well in my own opinion.
Fighting/Fairy Granbull would be awesome

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Sadly Growlithe line is out in terms of Galarian Forms so i am hoping either Poochyena or Snuubull gets an Galarian Form because we haven't seen either. Snubball makes too much sense with the UK Theme.

I don't beleive we have seen the Ponyta line either...hmm

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Really the whole Galarian Form Evolution was the only way they could provide cross generation evolutions and not have to fight against the Eviolite conundrum.

Game Freak really like consistency, that's why new evolution methods are needed for existing Pokémon. It's why Leafeon didn't evolve from Eevee with the Leaf Stone. Basically they want it to be the case that the reason it evolved is new and they didn't have the thing in that region and that's why it couldn't happen.

Due to that, Eviolite not working on Linoone would mean they'd have a problem with their consistency, but Galarian Linoone evolving avoids that.
I don't disagree that Game Freak likes their consistency (though there have been worse evolution related continuity errors in the past), but this feels like something they could solve with timelines if they really wanted to. They've already made it so this game isn't even necessarily in the Mega timeline.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
The villain team literally just being soccer hooligans cracks me up. I wonder if the player will get any fans as the game goes on, or in post game.

I really just hope we don't have to wait till like, very shortly before release to see the starter evolutions. I'm very curious about the final designs.

LuWis

Mar 25, 2019
I feel a Galarian Klink line incoming but I'm really just hoping for more aquatic Galar forms. Golduck or Eelektross

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they can do something interesting with Swanna, considering the queen owns all the swans in england. A Queenly Swan sounds like fun.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Phewph, good thing he won't sue

Obstagoon doesn't do anything close enough to sue, especially since most of its design looks like a spoof on what a lot of 80's metal bands wore. If there was a human story character with that color scheme, face paint, and it's tongue hanging out than there would definitely be a lawsuit.

Companies know 9 out of 10 times what can get them into lawsuit territory so I'm sure Obstagoon's design was never a concern to them

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Obstagoon doesn't do anything close enough to sue, especially since most of its design looks like a spoof on what a lot of 80's metal bands wore. If there was a human story character with that color scheme, face paint, and it's tongue hanging out than there would definitely be a lawsuit.

Companies know 9 out of 10 times what can get them into lawsuit territory so I'm sure Obstagoon's design was never a concern to them
Except that one time they literally designed and named a Pokemon after a still living person who proceeded to sue them.
250px-064Kadabra.png

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I dont think they would have sued even if it looked more similar.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I dont think they would have sued even if it looked more similar.

If it hits a certain level of closeness than a lawsuit would happen, unless they asked for special permission beforehand. Obstagoon's design was nowhere near lawsuit territory and would be silly to pursue, hence why Gene Simmons didn't care.

LuWis

Mar 25, 2019
I'm getting use to Obstayena every hour. I'm go glad Mightyena finally got the werewolf evolution it deserved just like Luvdisc evolving into Alomomola and shiny Fearow into Zapdos.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't think he ever won, GF just doesn't promote him as much

Yeah, that's not clear to me either. This is from Wikipedia:
In November 2000, Geller sued video game company Nintendo for £60 million over the Pokémon species "Yungera", localized in English as "Kadabra", which he claimed was an unauthorized appropriation of his identity.[94][95] The Pokémon in question has psychic abilities and carries a bent spoon. Geller also claimed that the star on Kadabra's forehead and the lightning patterns on its abdomen are symbolisms popular with the Waffen SS of Nazi Germany.[95] The katakana for the character's name, ユンゲラー, is visually similar to the transliteration of Geller's own name into Japanese (ユリゲラー). He is quoted as saying: "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image."[95] As of 2008, the situation was still ongoing. Pokémon anime director and storyboard artist Masamitsu Hidaka confirmed in an interview that Kadabra would not be used on a Pokémon Trading Card until an agreement was reached on the case. As of 2019, the agreement has not been reached and the last Kadabra card released was in the Skyridge e-Reader set (2002/2003).[96]

So basically, the case has been going for like 20 years, which seems super bizarre to me. I feel a judge would throw this case out handily. But here we are still after all these years. I have no idea how this is possible.

If I'm not mistaken, the plush Kadabra released last year (?) was the only Kadabra merchandise produced since 2003. Although I may be mistaken on that.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
The Liteleo and Shinx lines have a chance at Galarian forms imo, since the Lion is a British symbol

Also people talking about Hoothoot got me thinking Noctowl might have an Ice/Flying snowy owl Galarian form based on Hedwig

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

So basically, the case has been going for like 20 years, which seems super bizarre to me. I feel a judge would throw this case out handily. But here we are still after all these years. I have no idea how this is possible.

If I'm not mistaken, the plush Kadabra released last year (?) was the only Kadabra merchandise produced since 2003. Although I may be mistaken on that.
Lmao, saying the symbols on Kadabra's stomach were resembling the SS symbol is one hell of a reach to add motivation to the case. That's clearly a Zener card symbol.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

how hilarious would it be if Abra got a regional form and TPC just sidestepped the issue entirely

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The Liteleo and Shinx lines have a chance at Galarian forms imo, since the Lion is a British symbol

Also people talking about Hoothoot got me thinking Noctowl might have an Ice/Flying snowy owl Galarian form based on Hedwig
Pretty sure any Pokemon that's confirmed to be in the national dex is not going to not have a Galarian form and sadly looks like Noctowl is

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I'm not gonna lie, I'm almost as pissy about the removal of Megas as I am about the National dex cuts. But if they make a Galarian Mawile that's powerful I won't mind the loss of mega Mawile as much.

It's one of the few things they can do to entice me back into the fold

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
No moratorium on rumors here. Feel free. Folks have been discussing them since page one.

You might put things in spoiler tags as a courtesy, though.
Okay, here's my speculation on the image leak: (I could easily be wrong on a couple of these but "shrugs")

1565276821230.png

Galaran Dustox could easily be Galaran Venomoth though

Have we seen Noctowl or just Hoothoot?
Both apparently

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Actually, how haven't we had a Ghost/Bug Pokemon yet besides Shedninja.

Also may be unpopular but i don't see Galaran Evoultions for post Gen 3 Pokemon. Could be very wrong though with Galaran Klink if that's actually Galaran Klink

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
In regards to the whole Kadabra thing, Kadabra is the only trade evolution Pokemon that still evolves even if it's holding an Everstone. Interesting piece of trivia that not a lot of people know about since most people don't think to give their Kadabra an Everstone while trading because why would you?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Now I want this very much.

The rather funny workaround they introduced in the TCG was just making it so Abra evolves straight in to Alakazam.

433px-AbraMysteriousTreasures69.jpg

This makes me wonder considering the whole Dexit situation if peope would accept just the final stage of an evolution line being in the game for competitive play? Like, Politoed is required for Rain Teams because it has Drizzle, but would require making models for Poliwag, Poliwhirl and Poliwrath as well. Do you just make Politoed in the game, and then ban it from the Daycare Centre (Or just make it so it never breeds or something, this is assuming Breeding and Eggs are still in). So you have the Politoed for competitive, or would people not accept Politoed if you can't have Poliwag and co along with it?

(Rain teams already have Pelipper and they could create a new Drizzle pokemon should the Poliwag family not be in. And Let's Go already did the whole "Don't include every mon in the pokemon line" thing with it's strict gen 1 adherence.)