• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see why that image collage deserves more discussion, it doesn't predict anything announced yesterday

The 8-ball being a reference to Weezing is pure coincidence, what does Galar Weezing have to do with an 8-ball? That image hints more at a Dark type based on the message. Also, the Clefable is hinting more at a Ghost/Fairy Galar form to me. Everything else is just piggybacking off the other leak, guessing based on the elephant teapot meme or just random guesses, and honestly lazy ones at that. A football player, a knight and a dragon pokemon, seriously? Plus a Gorilla pokemon which is almost certainly not true since there's already a new ape pokemon in the game

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
That image is so abstract it could be referring to anything. I don't know if it's real.

That being said, Gigantamax Volcarona? I hope it's real.

Electivirer

May 15, 2018
The japanese riddler during the Sun/Moon reveal cycle always used things from other leaks and added his own riddles too (and they were legit), so I think this might be the same.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Fun fact, despite everyone saying "Alolan Raichu", it was always actually called Raichu Alola Form rather than Raichu Alolan Form

Now they've actually called these Galarian Forms rather than Galar Forms.

Just a random bit of pointless trivia for you
I love that you somewhat always manage to keep track of stuff like this lmao

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
All this arguing over Kisszagoon, forget that, this region is based on BRITAIN.

Where the hell is my John Lennon Walrus Pokemon...?

Or my glam-rock Psychic Ziggy Stardust knockoff?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
1200px-735Gumshoos.png

When are we getting a Galarian Gumshoos based on Boris Johnson? We already have one resembling trump, if this is truly a British game then they need to make a Boris Johnson one just to commemorate brexit since the game will Be releasing right after it likely happens

Lol :(

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If the Meowth rumor is true, its evolution tree is about to get really messy.

Meowth -> Persian
Alolan Meowth -> Alolan Persian
Galarian Meowth -> New Evolution
-----------------------------> Gigantamax Galarian Meowth

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
If the Meowth rumor is true, its evolution tree is about to get really messy.

Meowth -> Persian
Alolan Meowth -> Alolan Persian
Galarian Meowth -> New Evolution
-----------------------------> Gigantamax Galarian Meowth

I agree. It seems weird Meowth would have both Alolan and Galarian forms and evos. You'd think the idea of revisiting old Pokémon would avoid Pokémon they have already revisited - especially so recently.

Think of the merchandising opportunities, though.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Did any see the HootHoot in the Japanese trailer holding a wand and on its head it's hair looked liked a book in the pokejobs section.

So did they accidentally reveal another Galorian form?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i feel like round thing with a top hat and half nice half bad thing are too good of a guess to not be legit.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I love that you somewhat always manage to keep track of stuff like this lmao
My brain is an odd one.

I can name all Pokémon in National Pokédex order. I can also give the number for any Pokémon without checking.

Makes my job on the site soooo much easier but I know it's not normal haha

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Did any see the HootHoot in the Japanese trailer holding a wand and on its head it's hair looked liked a book in the pokejobs section.

So did they accidentally reveal another Galorian form?
I thought the same, there is a big chance.

Hoothoot was already shown (in the first trailer, actually) so there is no Galarian Hoothoot. I think it's just meant to be a little cartoon because owls are obviously associated with knowledge.

It's sort of hard to imagine a Hoothoot with a book for a head anyway.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
1200px-735Gumshoos.png

When are we getting a Galarian Gumshoos based on Boris Johnson? We already have one resembling trump, if this is truly a British game then they need to make a Boris Johnson one just to commemorate brexit since the game will Be releasing right after it likely happens

Lol :(
That would only be faithful if you automatically capture it and it's in your team for 5 years despite you never choosing it.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like round thing with a top hat and half nice half bad thing are too good of a guess to not be legit.
That's a pure coincidence. Anyone could have predicted some sort of toff design, but the fact that it's on a Magic 8 Ball makes me think the artist was imagining something else entirely

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Been thinking about Galarian forms and evolutions and who might get the makeover. Regional forms and evolutions are one of my favorite Pokémon features so I'm really excited about it. Some bulleted thoughts.

1. We saw regular Koffing before we saw Galarian Weezing, which seems to indicate there is no Galarian Koffing. Thus we know that Base Stage Pokémon can receive Galarian Evolutions. Note, however, that Koffing could already evolve. [EDIT: Hold this thought. I could have sworn we saw normal Koffing in the Wild Area but I may be mistaken. If so, this theory loses a pillar. I will try to verify this when I get home from work.]

2. Obstagoon, a regional evolution, can only evolve from Galarian Linoone. Almost certainly, normal Linoone cannot evolve in to Galarian Linoone. The normal Zizagoon line likely does not exist in Galar and probably cannot be imported under the new Dex restrictions.

Both of these fit neatly in to Joe's long-touted and at this point probably true Eviolite theory: that the reason we never saw new evolutions after Gen 4 was due to the introduction of Eviolite. Eviolite, which grants a 50% boost to Defense and Special Defense for Pokémon that were not fully evolved, would suddenly work on a previously fully evolved Pokémon. This would create a continuity error or possibly make Pokémon overpowered.

This is why normal Linoone should not be expected to evolve in to Obstagoon under any circumstances. Galarian Linoone will be compatible with Eviolite whereas normal Linoone will not. This does not create the continuity issue that has, in theory, limited the addition of new evolutions to existing lines.

We can therefore infer from this:
1. Pokémon that already evolve can get Galarian Evolutions (ex. Koffing).
2. Pokémon that do not generally evolve will receive completely redesigned lines (ex. Zigzagoon and Linoone)

If we apply this understanding to Farfetch'd, rumored to evolve in to Sirfetch'd, we can safely assume Farfetch'd will receive both a Galarian Form and a Galarian Evolution a la Zigzagoon due to the fact Farfetch'd does not generally evolve.

Furthermore, when speculating on Galarian Forms, it might be helpful to observe these rules as dictated by the theory. Grumpig, for example, could not receive a Galarian Evolution. Instead, the entire Spoink line would be remade to accommodate the new third stage and not have a consistency issue with Eviolite.

Last edited:

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking about Galarian forms and evolutions and who might get the makeover. Regional forms and evolutions is one of my favorite Pokémon features so I'm really excited about it. Some bulleted thoughts.

1. We saw regular Koffing before we saw Galarian Weezing, which seems to indicate there is no Galarian Koffing. Thus we know that Base Stage Pokémon can receive Galarian Evolutions. Note, however, that Koffing could already evolve.

2. Obstagoon, a regional evolution, can only evolve from Galarian Linoone. normal Linoone cannot evolve in to Galarian Linoone, presumably. The normal Zizagoon line likely does not exist in Galar and probably cannot be imported under the new Dex restrictions.

Both of these fit neatly in to Joe's long-touted and at this point probably true Eviolite theory: that the reason we never saw new evolutions after Gen 4 was due to the introduction of Eviolite. Eviolite, which grants a 50% boost to Defense and Special Defense for Pokémon that were not fully evolved, would suddenly work on a previously fully evolved Pokémon. This would create a continuity error or possibly make Pokémon overpowered.

This is why normal Linoone should not be expected to evolve in to Obstagoon under any circumstances. Galarian Linoone will be compatible with Eviolite whereas normal Linoone will not. This does not create the continuity issue that has, in theory, limited the addition of new evolutions to existing lines.

2. Pokémon that do not generally evolve will receive completely redesigned lines (ex. Zigzagoon)

If we apply this understanding to Farfetch'd, rumored to evolve in to Sirfetch'd, we can safely assume Farfetch'd will receive both a Galarian Form and a Galarian Evolution a la Zigzagoon due to the fact Farfetch'd does not generally evolve.

Furthermore, when speculating on Galarian Forms, it might be helpful to observe these rules as dictated by the theory. Grumpig, for example, could not receive a Galarian Evolution. Instead, the entire Spoink line would be remade to accommodate the new third stage and not have a consistency issue with Eviolite.
This all makes sense in general , but how would eviolite be a continuity issue? Also I'd change zigzagoon to linoone in your post, because linoone is the one that didn't evolve before

Good theorizing though. Where did we see koffing in Galar?

Hoping against hope that Donphan gets a Galar form or Evolution

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Been thinking about Galarian forms and evolutions and who might get the makeover. Regional forms and evolutions are one of my favorite Pokémon features so I'm really excited about it. Some bulleted thoughts.

1. We saw regular Koffing before we saw Galarian Weezing, which seems to indicate there is no Galarian Koffing. Thus we know that Base Stage Pokémon can receive Galarian Evolutions. Note, however, that Koffing could already evolve.

2. Obstagoon, a regional evolution, can only evolve from Galarian Linoone. Almost certainly, normal Linoone cannot evolve in to Galarian Linoone. The normal Zizagoon line likely does not exist in Galar and probably cannot be imported under the new Dex restrictions.

2. Pokémon that do not generally evolve will receive completely redesigned lines (ex. Zigzagoon)

Very well put, this indeed does seem to be the situation. Theoretically this could mean Pokemon with regular base stage Pokemon but 2nd stage Alolan Forms could have a new Galarian Form AND a 3rd stage, but I feel that would be a bit much considering they were all Kanto Pokemon. In any case I'm more interested to see if Sinnoh Remakes also have new regional forms and introduce Sinnohan Evolutions, cause it would make a ton of sense for Gen 1-3 Pokemon to get such updates in that region.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
This all makes sense in general , but how would eviolite be a continuity issue? Also I'd change zigzagoon to linoone in your post, because linoone is the one that didn't evolve before

Good theorizing though. Where did we see koffing in Galar?

Hoping against hope that Donphan gets a Galar form or Evolution

The continuity issue is simply that Eviolite would suddenly become compatible with a Pokémon it previously was not. For example, if Grumpig got an evolution, Grumpig would now benefit from Eviolite even though it didn't in previous games.

This seems like a super minor problem that nobody on Earth would ever care about. I've argued against the validity of this theory for like 5 years. It seems ridiculous to be hung up on this minor detail when other major forms of evolution have been retconned in the past (Umbreon, Espeon, Milotic, etc) due to mechanical changes. It seems like a theory that immediately disproves itself due to how incredibly arbitrary and inconsistent it is within Pokémon history. It is a major restriction on the series due to an incredibly minor and mundane consequence of having one Pokémon now be able to use one item it previously could not.

And yet, here we are, and the first new evolutions we see since 2006 adhere perfectly to these rules. I'm waving my white flag. I don't actually know if it's the real justification but I can no longer deny that these theorized rules appear to be observed in Sword & Shield.

Edit: Oh, and normal Koffing was shown in footage of the Wild Area at one point.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
It is a major restriction on the series due to an incredibly minor and mundane consequence of having one Pokémon now be able to use one item it previously could not.
Additionally very few Pokemon will suddenly become overpowered by having access to Eviolite. Chansey is the only Pokemon off the top of my head that actually sees more use than its evolution due to it.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to take a moment to reflect upon the conceptual and technical marvel that is Galarian Weezing:

1) The name sounds cool: Galarian Weezing. Although to be fair, everything sounds poetic with "Galarian" in front of it.

2) Victorian imagery: The foppish hat. The smokestack hearkening back to London's Industrial Revolution. The Dickensian facial hair. By the way, the chimney makes it 9 feet tall!

3) Eco-friendly: According to the official website, this Weezing sucks up pollution, digests it, and expels purified air as a byproduct from its chimney. A clever reversal of the smog-inducing nightmare that London smokestacks were in real life (and of course, a clever reversal of Gen 1 Weezing).

4) Poison/Fairy-typing: I suppose it takes on the Fairy typing because it's purifying the air. It also looks charming with its top hat. I like Fairy types, so this is a welcome addition.

5) It's a beast: Its dual typing gives it 4x resistance to Fighting-type moves (and Bug moves). Its Fairy-typing makes it immune to Dragons. And it has Levitate, granting it immunity to Ground-type moves. Yep — this thing is a hard check against the fearsome Garchomp. You can safely sub in on Draco Meteor. You can safely sub in on Earthquake. That's half of Garchomp's moveset right there, and Dragon Dance won't help it, lol. In fact, unless I'm misreading the type chart, the only types that have a x2 advantage against Galarian Weezing are Steel (strong against Fairy) and Psychic (strong against Poison).

For me, Galarian Weezing is a stroke-of-genius-tier reinvention on the same level as Alolan Exeggutor, but without that Pokemon's crippling 4x weakness. Good stuff!

The only thing that I would've preferred for Galarian Weezing is for it to be Poison/Steel instead of Poison/Fairy. Reason being Poison/Steel would've fit more perfectly with its Steam Punk design.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Additionally very few Pokemon will suddenly become overpowered by having access to Eviolite. Chansey is the only Pokemon off the top of my head that actually sees more use than its evolution due to it.

I don't even think it's an issue of power. I think that concern is secondary. I think the idea is simply "this Pokémon will be able to use Eviolite even though it couldn't previously and we cannot have that." For reasons I cannot explain, at least according to the theory, this is why fresh evolutions to existing lines never happened again after Generation IV.

I won't argue that it makes sense or that it's rational or reasonable. I think it's ridiculous. But I can't deny it any longer. I am willing to accept that this has been the train of thought all these years after seeing how the feature was finally re-introduced. The Eviolite Theory, however stupid the justification, is a perfect explanation for why this extremely popular feature was dropped and how it was finally brought back.

It could still be complete nonsense but it works. 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. It seems weird Meowth would have both Alolan and Galarian forms and evos. You'd think the idea of revisiting old Pokémon would avoid Pokémon they have already revisited - especially so recently.

It's about throwing s bunch of shit against the wall and seeing which is most profitable.

They can't do regional Eevee's because it's the evolution Pokémon and brings in money threw its evolution and they have to be care with the electric Rat so Meowth is their experiment Pokémon. Alolan Meowth and Alolan Persian wasn't a commercial hit with the mass market but Meowth is Marketable because of Team Rocket Meowth so TRY AGAIN!!!

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wasn't it??

Isn't it on your website, too?

I thought for sure but perhaps I am misremembering. Do you remember? I feel as though I remember it vividly but now I am not so sure. I edited my post above just in case I am wrong. Unfortunately I am at work and can't rewatch all the footage and try to find it.
I have Koffing there because Weezing evolves from Koffing. If a Galarian Koffing appears, then it'll change but until then, regardless, Koffing is technically confirmed

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have Koffing there because Weezing evolves from Koffing. If a Galarian Koffing appears, then it'll change but until then, regardless, Koffing is technically confirmed

I meant before yesterday, but perhaps I have a false memory. I remember it so vividly but I am also of poor health recently so who knows what's going on in my brain.

Since I am unable to verify my own recollection I will have to cede I am misremembering. I will have to adjust the post above accordingly. Thank you for the correction in any case.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was clearly aimed at Morpeko and no one hinted at it previously.
Eh I think it's a big stretch. Would have been way more telling if it was a hamster on a wheel or something
The continuity issue is simply that Eviolite would suddenly become compatible with a Pokémon it previously was not. For example, if Grumpig got an evolution, Grumpig would now benefit from Eviolite even though it didn't in previous games.

This seems like a super minor problem that nobody on Earth would ever care about. I've argued against the validity of this theory for like 5 years. It seems ridiculous to be hung up on this minor detail when other major forms of evolution have been retconned in the past (Umbreon, Espeon, Milotic, etc) due to mechanical changes. It seems like a theory that immediately disproves itself due to how incredibly arbitrary and inconsistent it is within Pokémon history. It is a major restriction on the series due to an incredibly minor and mundane consequence of having one Pokémon now be able to use one item it previously could not.

And yet, here we are, and the first new evolutions we see since 2006 adhere perfectly to these rules. I'm waving my white flag. I don't actually know if it's the real justification but I can no longer deny that these theorized rules appear to be observed in Sword & Shield.

Edit: Oh, and normal Koffing was shown in footage of the Wild Area at one point.

Ah I see, it definitely makes sense for that eviolite thing to be the case. I agree it's kind of a dumb reason though lol
LOVE

Please for the love of god Gamefreak, give Bede an Impidimp

PLEASE

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't checked if you did but maybe put a disclaimer by the Koffing letting viewers know it's isn't necessarily confirm to be in the game in its Kanto form.

A lot of the community use your site for official information so it can lead to misinformation spreading as official information when it hasn't even been confirmed yet. It'll also save you a minor headache in the long run.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

my theory is that Jesse and James are going to make a cameo in this game
I haven't checked if you did but maybe put a disclaimer by the Koffing letting viewers know it's isn't necessarily confirm to be in the game in its Kanto form.

A lot of the community use your site for official information so it can lead to misinformation spreading as official information when it hasn't even been confirmed yet. It'll also save you a minor headache in the long run.
I would assume that if Koffing had a Galarian form they would have revealed it alongside Weezing

I don't think they've ever revealed only one evolution in a line that has a new form before

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Eh I think it's a big stretch. Would have been way more telling if it was a hamster on a wheel or something

Ah I see, it definitely makes sense for that eviolite thing to be the case. I agree it's kind of a dumb reason though lol

LOVE

Please for the love of god Gamefreak, give Bede an Impidimp

PLEASE
Impidimp doesn't have a reveal because its evo is Devilman inspired and Bede's main.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they've ever revealed only one evolution in a line that has a new form before

I agree but with Game Freak there's always that off chance and it won't hurt Joe in the long run just in case there is a Galarian Koffing as he deals with ass wipes who loves nit picking and exaggerating every minor mistake he makes.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

I would assume that if Koffing had a Galarian form they would have revealed it alongside Weezing

Technically they revealed Alolan Dugtrio before Diglett

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They revealed Alolan Meowth months ahead of Alolan Persian.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I am going to try to watch the available footage to find Koffing because I was so sure we had seen it in the Wild Area but won't be able to for many hours. If anyone with more time than me takes a look on their own, let me know.

Kinda bummed if I am misremembering that. I was so sure. It's impossible to Google now because all the results are just about Galarian Weezing. But I assume if we'd seen Koffing it would have been on Joe's dex page before yesterday.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Impidimp doesn't have a reveal because its evo is Devilman inspired and Bede's main.
That's what I'm hoping for. Would be so good.
I agree but with Game Freak there's always that off chance and it won't hurt Joe in the long run just in case there is a Galarian Koffing as he deals with ass wipes who loves nit picking and exaggerating every minor mistake he makes.
Yeah fair enough
Technically they revealed Alolan Dugtrio before Diglett
They revealed Alolan Meowth months ahead of Alolan Persian.

Ah my mistake then

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As nice as the character models are, I can't help but think "better lighting and materials would go a long way".

Everything just has the same damn texture