• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone wondering who a new generation (mainline) Pokemon game is for is definitely the funniest thing I've heard all day

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Someone wondering who a new generation (mainline) Pokemon game is for is definitely the funniest thing I've heard all day
Wait WHAT. I gotta go back and find that post lol.

On-topic: I hope we get the middle evos tomorrow. Give us an idea where their designs and typings are going.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very vocally against the Pokemon cutting and don't think they have shown anything that justifies it (as in I don't think the visuals and animations come close to making up for it) and refuse to buy the game new, but even I can see "who this game is for." Outside of the above issues it's doing a lot that interests people and the culling of Pokemon isn't something a lot of people care about, or at the very least they aren't a deal breaker for a lot of people.
Despite being very upset with Game Freak I'm still excited to pick one of these games up used shortly after release.

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm very vocally against the Pokemon cutting and don't think they have shown anything that justifies it (as in I don't think the visuals and animations come close to making up for it) and refuse to buy the game new, but even I can see "who this game is for." Outside of the above issues it's doing a lot that interests people and the culling of Pokemon isn't something a lot of people care about, or at the very least they aren't a deal breaker for a lot of people.
Despite being very upset with Game Freak I'm still excited to pick one of these games up used shortly after release.
It is for the same 16 million buyers of previous installments since red and blue and the game structure will still be just as appealing for those who want a new game. Pokemon is a mass apealing jrpg. Every game is a fun and chill adventure. All the things people are mad about is coming from a hardcore minor group. Everybody knows this

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
hidden_pokemon_sword_shield_screenshot.jpg

HAPPENING!

also, Google Image Search changed
I hope this is one of the Pokrmon revealed tomorrow.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I read something about Netflix's cancellations logic some days ago and it mentioned how more than 10 episodes a season and more than 3 seasons doesn't add anything to the value of the show. which makes me wonder if the same can be said for the number of pokemon in a game

<tldr alert>

I'm not sure about the value of the game, because I think that's very subjective, but personally I do think every Pokémon matters, the full collection. For some people it's the story or the gameplay.

When Gen V came out, there were many Pokémon I didn't like. Still to this day I think Basculin is one of my least favorite Pokémon ever. But it exists, it's already part of the Pokémon universe, and even if it's not my favorite Pokémon, I still want to see it in every game, simply because they made it exist. They made me accept it and expect it in every following game.

They don't ask people which new Pokémon to add to the collection, as I don't know, I think about a game like Tekken when they opened that poll with some potential new characters and people voted and they added Elisa, or Super Smash, kind of (there we really didn't have actual options given by them). Pokémon simply appear in our lives, even if no one asked for them and they have made (up to Gen VI) each of them important in the sense that we need to catch each of them, even if it was just for the Shiny Charm.

The National Pokédex, the number of each Pokémon used to have a meaning, at least for me. Alola games didn't require them, but included them anyways. So at this point if a Pokémon is missing, it will feel incomplete. Like, you just can't ignore they're missing, if you've cared about them all these years. And especially because they're not scrapping them completely, they'll be still in Pokémon Home, so why not in SwSh? Every upcoming game will feel short in that aspect. They will always be missing something. That used to be the case of spin offs, we had lists of which Pokémon appeared in Ranger or MD, PokéPark, etc. and no one ever expected them to include all the Pokémon, because that was the main games' duty (even if some spin offs have included all the Pokémon in recent years).

Now, it's very different when it's something that's unknown, and by that I mean the new Pokémon. Getting 150 new Pokémon or 70 new Pokémon, THAT is something that to me isn't as important, because that's something that has always been varying. They've never given us a fixed number of new Pokémon each generation for us to expect them always to include 100 or 150. What they DID do was to include every existing Pokémon each new generation for over 20 years. That became part of the formula or recipe of a Pokémon game, unlike other games like Tekken or whatever, which are always changing their rosters.

So having less Pokémon will make the game less enjoyable? As a game in general, surely not. As a Pokémon game, if you've always cared about the aspect of collecting them and organizing them, it sure will. And it's not only the individual experience of playing SwSh or a new game, it's that the experience of playing between versions that are released within the same generation will get ruined too, being limited by a very restricted group of compatible Pokémon.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I miss the days of three years ago when the official site was hacked a few times and the videos were leaked in advance. We should go back to those days.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
If the leak turns out to be right I'd be utterly disappointed.

Region exclusive forms is not something I want back. Girafarig and Sudowoodo needs proper evolutions instead of forms. Meh.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Says the person with a gen 1 name and avatar.
He isn't wrong. The stuff with Let's Go already showed that the hardcore fans are pretty heavily outnumbered by the casual fans.

I'm just hoping that enough criticisms have been brought to GF's attention that they take them into account for the next games. That's all we can really hope for frankly.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
<tldr alert>

I'm not sure about the value of the game, because I think that's very subjective, but personally I do think every Pokémon matters, the full collection. For some people it's the story or the gameplay.

When Gen V came out, there were many Pokémon I didn't like. Still to this day I think Basculin is one of my least favorite Pokémon ever. But it exists, it's already part of the Pokémon universe, and even if it's not my favorite Pokémon, I still want to see it in every game, simply because they made it exist. They made me accept it and expect it in every following game.

They don't ask people which new Pokémon to add to the collection, as I don't know, I think about a game like Tekken when they opened that poll with some potential new characters and people voted and they added Elisa, or Super Smash, kind of (there we really didn't have actual options given by them). Pokémon simply appear in our lives, even if no one asked for them and they have made (up to Gen VI) each of them important in the sense that we need to catch each of them, even if it was just for the Shiny Charm.

The National Pokédex, the number of each Pokémon used to have a meaning, at least for me. Alola games didn't require them, but included them anyways. So at this point if a Pokémon is missing, it will feel incomplete. Like, you just can't ignore they're missing, if you've cared about them all these years. And especially because they're not scrapping them completely, they'll be still in Pokémon Home, so why not in SwSh? Every upcoming game will feel short in that aspect. They will always be missing something. That used to be the case of spin offs, we had lists of which Pokémon appeared in Ranger or MD, PokéPark, etc. and no one ever expected them to include all the Pokémon, because that was the main games' duty (even if some spin offs have included all the Pokémon in recent years).

Now, it's very different when it's something that's unknown, and by that I mean the new Pokémon. Getting 150 new Pokémon or 70 new Pokémon, THAT is something that to me isn't as important, because that's something that has always been varying. They've never given us a fixed number of new Pokémon each generation for us to expect them always to include 100 or 150. What they DID do was to include every existing Pokémon each new generation for over 20 years. That became part of the formula or recipe of a Pokémon game, unlike other games like Tekken or whatever, which are always changing their rosters.

So having less Pokémon will make the game less enjoyable? As a game in general, surely not. As a Pokémon game, if you've always cared about the aspect of collecting them and organizing them, it sure will. And it's not only the individual experience of playing SwSh or a new game, it's that the experience of playing between versions that are released within the same generation will get ruined too, being limited by a very restricted group of compatible Pokémon.
the kicker of that mentality is just how many people who think similar. as Let's Go shown, it's not a very large number. going back to the Netflix analogy, they seemed to find that new shows draw in and retain subs better than making more episodes of old shows. in Pokemon terms, having new pokemon, new characters, new lands to explore will be that "new show" that gets people hooked. but if you have 400-500 old pokemon out of 800, I think the effect of "more old pokemon" starts to wear off as an point of interest.

that's not to say "EVERYONE IS HERE" isn't a selling point, but there's a big mental difference between 70 and 700

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
the kicker of that mentality is just how many people who think similar. as Let's Go shown, it's not a very large number. going back to the Netflix analogy, they seemed to find that new shows draw in and retain subs better than making more episodes of old shows. in Pokemon terms, having new pokemon, new characters, new lands to explore will be that "new show" that gets people hooked. but if you have 400-500 old pokemon out of 800, I think the effect of "more old pokemon" starts to wear off as an point of interest.

that's not to say "EVERYONE IS HERE" isn't a selling point, but there's a big mental difference between 70 and 700

Yeah, I suppose so, and I confess that was a big surprise for me tbh, to find out how many people don't actually care about the Pokémon, like having all of them. Especially because of things like when BW removed all the old Pokémon from the first part of the game or the general reaction towards new designs gen after gen, the "it doesn't look like a Pokémon" arguments and so on, it always seemed to me that long-time fans always cared or preferred the older Pokémon over the new stuff. And I was always delusional enough to think that it also implied that they cared about having ALL of them, and not just some of them. Like, I knew there were people that didn't "catch'em all" but it was like a non-written rule that we all knew and respected the fact that every Pokémon was someone's fave.

I just think Pokémon is such an unusual case, I don't think there's anything like it out there in terms of the proportions it has reached, but the success and popularity they've gotten until now was because of the way they had handled this collection of creatures game after game and across all the multimedia aspects. We'll never know, but I'm really not sure if they had gotten this successful if they took this direction of featuring only a selection of Pokémon each generation since the beginning, at least since Gen III when they did that first shift.

This new approach won't affect them as a business, because there will always be fans that don't care about it, or new fans coming to the franchise. But it will definitely change things forever for those of us that did care about having all the Pokémon in one game. To me it was like, yeah, I like some Pokémon more than others, individually, but at the end what I loved was having the whole collection, as one big entity that keeps growing generation after generation, and that's what they're taking away from me. Yeah, it'll now exist in the form of Pokémon Home, but to me that wasn't supposed to be the case. Having all the Pokémon was what made the main games, the main games.

But it's true what you say, at the end, if we see the anime there are Pokémon that haven't appeared in years perhaps, or the TCG, or toy figures, etc. All of those things keep being successful without always featuring the entire Pokédex every season, or every TCG expansion, or toys collection. But the main games used to be that only area of this whole franchise that contained all the Pokémon, and now it will never be again. Now, I also believe that if they "cut" new Pokémon instead of the old ones, the success will still be there, even if moderate, and Let's Go just proved that, so I don't think only the new stuff can get people hooked with a franchise and characters that are so loved.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay time to spice things up with an Avatar bet

I will change my avatar to a worthless Feebas for two weeks if a new Eeveeloution is not revealed tomorrow

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I feel like they're going to spoil a lot of stuff tomorrow like they did with Sun and moon. IIRC Gamefrwak pretty much spoiled most of SUMO in the August, September, and November trailer drops.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Is anyone else hyped for more Gigantamax forms? The ones for Drednaw and Corviknight were so COOL, for lack of a better word, in the previous trailer. I wonder if they will give any of the old gen Pokemon Gigantamax forms.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else hyped for more Gigantamax forms? The ones for Drednaw and Corviknight were so COOL, for lack of a better word, in the previous trailer. I wonder if they will give any of the old gen Pokemon Gigantamax forms.
The leak (and it's definitely a legit leak — it got all the NPCs right, the Pokemon, the mechanics, etc) said that there will be Gigantamax forms for old-gen Pokemon, including one for Lapras that has a musical motif

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only watching to see what the new waifu of the week is and what will Masters get in the coming years.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

I wonder if every new Pokémon will get them, like at least the final stages of each evolutionary line. I just think that once they give these Pokémon like Drednaw or Corviknight a Gigantamax form, any other new Pokémon that don't get it will get overshadowed.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly, I find Dynamax & Gigantamax to be the perfect merging of the Z-Move and Mega Evolution concepts in a way that is far more balanced than the predecessors so year I'm hyped.

Plus Dynamax changes everything for competitive

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, i dont like em. A lame gimmick that theyll abandon next game like they did mega evolutions (ik theyre not that popular here but I actually liked them.) i wouldve preferred those Gigantamax forms just be proper evolutions so they dont basically become non existent next gen

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
They have the time to make these tweets but not tweet the actual info?

The tweets are saying that they don't have the info currently and won't have the info until right before the official announcement. They claim to have a source with Pokémon info that is unavailable until right before the announcement. This is their explanation for why they're tweeting now but have nothing to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.