• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of an interesting conundrum.

Many Pokémon are designed for, and often depicted in, specific habitats. But the nature of Pokémon mandates that they be mobile in all environments. This issue is exemplified in the accommodations made surrounding a lot of water Pokémon: fish Pokémon levitate above the surface or else it would be impossible to use them on land. Even in the walking animations created for Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon (which are currently unused), most fish Pokémon simply levitate above the player and wiggle a bit as if they are swimming in the air.

But canonically, nobody expects Lumineon or Seaking to be able to fly (and let's not even get in to the fact fish Pokémon apparently can breathe on land). Yet that is how they are always depicted. Pokémon being able to float is the answer to basically all environmental and mobility questions.

Steelix has pretty much always been depicted with the ability to hover. The movement we see here is actually a much more detailed aerial movement than Steelix has ever had. But I think it will always be a little jarring to accept that if a Pokémon doesn't have legs there's a 90% chance it can float through the air without complication.

Pokémon began as a series that relied on ambiguity and suggestion to communicate its creatures, battles, and environments. Pokémon following you around the overworld, for example, raised no eyebrows or concerns when they were simply little sprites with two-frame walk cycles. Pokémon battles that took place on a plain white space, or in loosely themed grass/water/cave backgrrounds, never brought in to question the nature of size or space. You were able to use your imagination to fill in the blanks because that's just how video games worked.

But how do you tackle that in a realistic and compelling way when creating a 3D environment with object permanence? All Pokémon must be able to go anywhere. But when you can see so much of them on screen and the environments are no longer ambiguous, is it possible to depict Pokémon with any sort of logical consistency?

The question we have to consider is whether the depictions we see in Pokémon games should ever be taken literally or if they are merely representative of what in some suggestive, abstract way.

When we see Wishiwashi floating in battle like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

Is it really floating? Or is it just represented this way to maintain visual consistency? Are battles depicted in a literal, canonical way or are they simply a representation of what is happening in a figurative inexact way? Does it make any sense for water Pokémon, which we know for a fact live underwater, to be battling above sea-level whenever it is needed?

Steelix flying around seems like something that happens to me. Steelix is a Steel type and can learn Magnet Rise so whatever. Of course Steelix and levitate. But I do think that we just have to accept that Pokémon is not a series that will ever be able to perfectly accommodate expectations of reality. I think Pokémon will always rely on players not taking everything they see on screen literally and rely on imagination to make sense of what's going on. That's how it always worked in the beginning. It would be pretty drastic to suddenly hold Pokémon to real world conventions when it comes to terrain and space. I don't know if the game would be better that way. I'm thinking probably not, though.
While I agree with your general point I don't think it's what happened with Steelix, after all Onix doesn't float. Seems like an intentional characteristic.

Cieviz

Jan 11, 2018
Town looks great, the people terrible as always with no or poor animation and probably they stay in the same position day and night...in 2019

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Town looks great, the people terrible as always with no or poor animation and probably they stay in the same position day and night...in 2019
They just showed them turning towards the player and smiling at them, laughing, having conversations and stuff though? And even Sun and Moon had NPCs walking around towns, just there are stationary ones too like in every game ever...

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Taking into account that you cannot control whether it is day or night from within the game, it is necessary that all NPCs be in the same position regardless of the time

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Looks better than Lets Go for sure and reminds me a bit of Yokai Watch 2. I wish the combat was as engaging as in that game though...

Did they say that they are reusing the Sun & Moon engine? Will they ever make a new one geared for the Switch?

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Man, I would love if they would take one of these chances to tell us about Home instead of the games. They've been showing the games every other week it feels like, but I still haven't heard a peep out of the service that determines whether I'm ever going to even buy the game down the line.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
They've currently revealed about half as many new Pokemon as they did by this time in the SM cycle, so I wouldn't start worrying too much yet.

Even less than half. If we count regional variants we are now at 19 pokémon revealed for SwSh. While back in 2016, we already had a whopping 45 pokémon revealed by august 20.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So there's a mix of free camera in fields and set camera paths in towns. That switch will probably feel a bit jarring.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Hard to get excited even if the town looks cozy. I wish this game had Sakurai levels of details. Also, it doesn't help that all the "innovation" feels like it's 5-10 years behind.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Oh man, I remembered being scared that the map would be like Alola (which was an almost 1 to 1 scale with the game) Galar actually feels large.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Oh man, I remembered being scared that the map would be like Alola (which was an almost 1 to 1 scale with the game) Galar actually feels large.
Yeah the region feels like an actual country, with large swathes of undeveloped and untouched nature broken by small roads and settlements in between. Compared to previous games where an entire country could be those roads and settlements all bunched together in close proximity, its far better than anything before.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I'm clearly in the minority here but I was very unimpressed by that video.

That town made no sense, it legit had one house. One. A train station, Pokémon Centre, Clothes shop etc. all built around one house and they didn't even go inside it?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The moment they put out the map, we deduced that wasn't going to be the case
At first no. I mean Unova and Kalos had maps that weren't accurate, however the Alola map did share its artstyle with Hoenn's from ORAS which bared all of the region, so there were suspicions. And then ingame footage appeared, and the last pin dropped. It was conceptually sound but good lord was Alola small, almost Kanto Small.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Town looked nice. Was pleasantly surprised at the smoothness, but kind of sad we didn't get interiors of any of those locations.
I think the most shocking thing was the black NPC shown.
To my knowledge nearly all of the black characters in the Pokemon series have usually been either gym leaders or other main story NPCs, so its pretty nice to see one.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm clearly in the minority here but I was very unimpressed by that video.

That town made no sense, it legit had one house. One. A train station, Pokémon Centre, Clothes shop etc. all built around one house and they didn't even go inside it?
That's the Pokémon Lab, which you could say is the Professor's house. But there are also two other houses in the town, one right next to the Pokémon Lab and another further up the hill.