• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a natural evolution of the Sun and Moon engine, though I like the decision to bias the camera more towards a third person perspective than the overhead angle used a lot in Sun and Moon. It reminds me of the Gamecube games, even if Game Freak will never acknowledge them.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
cute but no chance this is gonna get me hyped about the world design. that isn't something a 2 minute trailer can handle. still gonna wait for reviews.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god it looks so pretty! The art direction is top notch and the town looks lovely and lively.

ILikeFeet no meltdowns for not being able to sit 😔

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
It looks really nice. It's the first Pokémon game in a long while that i'm kinda hyped for.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
When the protagonist walked past the group with the sheep, I saw some sort of building on the hill to the left side. For a split second, I was interested to see who lived there or what it's purpose was. Then I realized it was just a background prop blocked off by a knee high wall.
The limits of pokemon's worlds has only gotten more painful as the backgrounds and settings have gotten more detailed.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
As much as I've been down kn this game just seeing someone walk around a town gets me excited again.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think this trailer confirms hidden items on the map by the way, there is a sparkling effect on the rock at 1:54.

Also there is a slight frame time increase at 1:50.

OST is great, artstyle is miles better than the abomination LGPE was, but I still like SM more.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
When the protagonist walked past the group with the sheep, I saw some sort of building on the hill to the left side. For a split second, I was interested to see who lived there or what it's purpose was. Then I realized it was just a background prop blocked off by a knee high wall.
The limits of pokemon's worlds has only gotten more painful as the backgrounds and settings have gotten more detailed.
It's not a prop. It's visible on the region map. I think it'll be the rival's house.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Looks really pretty to be honest. I'm still a fence sitter because I'm pretty sure the battles will be as slow as (if not slower than) the 3DS counterparts, and I need things to be quick and snappy.

A lot could be learned from Fire Emblem on that front.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Looks beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing more towns and cities, we know close to nothing about the Galar region.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It's not a prop. It's visible on the region map. I think it'll be the rival's house.
They're talking about this house in the top left, not the big purple one.
AbmvKdm.png

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks so comfy, man. I can't wait to play this game, I just love how it looks!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing more towns and cities, we know close to nothing about the Galar region.

We've seen like 4-5 towns so far? Not that much compared to other games. There are entire zones that we haven't seen, and seeing that the map is not 1:1 like on Alola, who knows what else is hiding on the map.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Buildings having a fixed camera is actually a good thing. Free camera in small houses in Xenoblade was a pain in the ass

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Still worried there won't be much to explore, that behind the smoke and mirrors we'll be stuck to linear paths for a lot of it.

The art style is great however, Let's Go is lifeless by comparison.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Looks ok, Ground textures are awful looking. Looks better than Let's Go at least.

Nice to see we can sit again. Haven't had that since gen 6.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Tech aside, the art style is really good, and playing the game in a big screen will help to make it more immersive for sure.

I didn't play the ORAS or S/M games, so I don't know if this have been a thing before, but I'm getting a bigger "JRPG" vibe from this game compared to X/Y: beautiful landscapes, the cities/NPCs feel more alive, the big area to explore fits Pokemon really well...

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Based on the Divided Kingdom and has a functional railway system. Smh Game Freak, can you get anything right?
Yeah for one thing there aren't any cancelled trains and the ones you do get on have seats with tables available.

Real talk, I'm slowly getting excited for this, I wasn't that enamoured with the previous gen and I didn't bother with Let's Go so this is shaping up to be a great return for me, I haven't been this hyped since X & Y...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god it looks so pretty! The art direction is top notch and the town looks lovely and lively.

ILikeFeet no meltdowns for not being able to sit 😔
Maybe I can have a meltdown for not smelling people's bed. There's still hope!

The footage looks nice, but to nitpick, they still seem to focus on having buildings face south. Not all of them do, but it's still enough to bother me. Especially when they go though the trouble of having an multi-camera to suit your location.

Granted, we've seen other towns with buildings not facing south, so many it's just a quirk for this location

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It looks as good as previous footage to me? It is just more crowded now but it was obvious they were just hiding the NPC's before.
Yup. There's absolutely no improvement.
If anything, it just shows the texture filtering is as bad as ever. That's very distracting and kind of embarrassing, to be honest. It's not like the textures are high quality in the first place.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
...does that train stop right at a hill?

They couldn't animate the steelix crawling? lol

It's kind of an interesting conundrum.

Many Pokémon are designed for, and often depicted in, specific habitats. But the nature of Pokémon mandates that they be mobile in all environments. This issue is exemplified in the accommodations made surrounding a lot of water Pokémon: fish Pokémon levitate above the surface or else it would be impossible to use them on land. Even in the walking animations created for Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon (which are currently unused), most fish Pokémon simply levitate above the player and wiggle a bit as if they are swimming in the air.

But canonically, nobody expects Lumineon or Seaking to be able to fly (and let's not even get in to the fact fish Pokémon apparently can breathe on land). Yet that is how they are always depicted. Pokémon being able to float is the answer to basically all environmental and mobility questions.

Steelix has pretty much always been depicted with the ability to hover. The movement we see here is actually a much more detailed aerial movement than Steelix has ever had. But I think it will always be a little jarring to accept that if a Pokémon doesn't have legs there's a 90% chance it can float through the air without complication.

Pokémon began as a series that relied on ambiguity and suggestion to communicate its creatures, battles, and environments. Pokémon following you around the overworld, for example, raised no eyebrows or concerns when they were simply little sprites with two-frame walk cycles. Pokémon battles that took place on a plain white space, or in loosely themed grass/water/cave backgrrounds, never brought in to question the nature of size or space. You were able to use your imagination to fill in the blanks because that's just how video games worked.

But how do you tackle that in a realistic and compelling way when creating a 3D environment with object permanence? All Pokémon must be able to go anywhere. But when you can see so much of them on screen and the environments are no longer ambiguous, is it possible to depict Pokémon with any sort of logical consistency?

The question we have to consider is whether the depictions we see in Pokémon games should ever be taken literally or if they are merely representative of what in some suggestive, abstract way.

When we see Wishiwashi floating in battle like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

Is it really floating? Or is it just represented this way to maintain visual consistency? Are battles depicted in a literal, canonical way or are they simply a representation of what is happening in a figurative inexact way? Does it make any sense for water Pokémon, which we know for a fact live underwater, to be battling above sea-level whenever it is needed?

Steelix flying around seems like something that happens to me. Steelix is a Steel type and can learn Magnet Rise so whatever. Of course Steelix and levitate. But I do think that we just have to accept that Pokémon is not a series that will ever be able to perfectly accommodate expectations of reality. I think Pokémon will always rely on players not taking everything they see on screen literally and rely on imagination to make sense of what's going on. That's how it always worked in the beginning. It would be pretty drastic to suddenly hold Pokémon to real world conventions when it comes to terrain and space. I don't know if the game would be better that way. I'm thinking probably not, though.

Last edited:

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If that train isn't late and rammed they haven't done they're research.
I need some Mr.mimes armpit pushed uncomfortably close to my face for full immersion.