• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down.
though I wonder, do they all eat apples? Lol, or have we moved past that and will they let us choose fruit and figure out which pokemon like bananas
What? There are no apples in this game. The announcer specifically said "fluffruit". There weren't apples in the original title either.

EvHzrEXXYAY25ps

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now THIS looks like a truly beautiful Pokemon game.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
What? There are no apples in this game. The announcer specifically said "fluffruit". There weren't apples in the original title either.

EvHzrEXXYAY25ps
lmao. Ok ok, you got me. I'll rephrase it.

do you think there's gonna be more than one type of pokemon food, so some of the gameplay revolves around figuring out a particular pokemons tastes? or are they all gonna like one catch-all Not-apple

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I still don't get why they named it so lazily. New Pokemon Snap? I mean I guess. Why not just 2? Or a subtitle. Or "Switch". Eventually it won't be new!

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I still don't get why they named it so lazily. New Pokemon Snap? I mean I guess. Why not just 2? Or a subtitle. Or "Switch". Eventually it won't be new!

It's just like New Super Mario Bros.

I think it's ok. It means it's newer than the "old" game. In the future, even if there's a follow up, it would still be true, because it doesn't mean it's the latest, just newer than the oldest lol

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
lmao. Ok ok, you got me. I'll rephrase it.

do you think there's gonna be more than one type of pokemon food, so some of the gameplay revolves around figuring out a particular pokemons tastes? or are they all gonna like one catch-all Not-apple

76.jpg

In this one you can see one of the Pokemon having thoughts about cupcakes as well as flufffruit which seems to suggest more than one type of food.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Game looks great.

I remember being obsessed with the original back in the day.

I hope there's a bit of variety, like being able to change the time of day outside of scripted moments

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think this looks alright. Replay ability is the most important thing to me, and I am not convinced just yet.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
What do you think this is, Bugsnax?
Aha
We can only hope this reaches the euphoric highs of bugsnax.
But really I am very curious where and how they plan on improving the snap formula. There was only one game, yeah, but we also have 20 years of design and qol improvements to draw on. I really really hope it pushes the original in a lot of compelling ways, but, it's pokemon, so my expectations are pretty low here despite being a huge fan of pokemon and the original snap. Next I'd like to see pokemon pinball return that is for sure

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It's pretty but I can't imagine playing this for more than 2 hours and not getting bored. You are basically on rails taking pictures. From a gameplay's perspective this seems ancient and outdated.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty but I can't imagine playing this for more than 2 hours and not getting bored. You are basically on rails taking pictures. From a gameplay's perspective this seems ancient and outdated.
I like the on rails aspect, iit feels more like a game than a walking sim. What modern gameplay elements were you hoping to see in a photography game? I tried two other photography games last year Shutter Stroll and Umurangi Generation. Both of which weren't on rails, but neither hooked me.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
You're also environmental puzzle-solving with the fruit, flute and lumina orbs in order to discover and lure out Pokémon (in this case, more than 200 of them) and coax them into different interactions with you, with other Pokémon and with their environment (in this case with multiple hidden behaviors per Pokemon, which change over the course of the game), while also cataloging strange details in the environment itself, and trying to get high scores based on proximity, pose, framing, etc, all while on rails without stopping, meaning you can't see everything on each route in one go (especially with the newly added day-night cycles) and meaning you have to shoot skillfully since there's no pausing.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I think this looks alright. Replay ability is the most important thing to me, and I am not convinced just yet.

Same, going to wait a little for the reviews but I spent far too much money on Nintendo games that are bit underwhelming in terms of amount of gameplay.

I'm still struggling that this could be fleshed out to a full price game. And the trailers are light on features still.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
You're also environmental puzzle-solving with the fruit, flute and lumina orbs in order to discover and lure out Pokémon (in this case, more than 200 of them) and coax them into different interactions with you, with other Pokémon and with their environment (in this case with multiple hidden behaviors per Pokemon, which change over the course of the game), while also cataloging strange details in the environment itself, and trying to get high scores based on proximity, pose, framing, etc, all while on rails without stopping, meaning you can't see everything on each route in one go (especially with the newly added day-night cycles) and meaning you have to shoot skillfully since there's no pausing.
I still don't like the rails aspect and how static and telegraphed everything seems but this does make the game seem more interactive and complex. Even back then on the N64 I never understood the appeal of the game but it has a huge fanbase so it must do something right.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
As a hobbyist film-photographer, I really really hope they don't do away with the film (ammo) limit for each level. I mean, it doesn't have to be film, but having a limit really added to the gameplay.

You can see a number counting down in the top right of every shot in the trailer... is that what you mean?

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to have tons of content. Nintendo has confirmed there are 200+ Pokémon. (We have seen less than 100 so far, and most of those we have barely seen in action.) Some have variants too, like the many wing patterns of Vivillon or the gender colors of Hippowdon.

Each of the 200+ species has a variety of behaviors, including four special behaviors, ranked in rarity (one star, two stars, three stars, four stars).

So that's more than 800 unique shots you will need to take to complete your Photodex.

You will have to figure out how to make many Pokémon appear, and then figure out how to elicit the desired behavior. Sometimes you will have to lure them to a certain area, or coax them into interactions with other Pokémon. You might have to use certain items, cause environmental reactions or return at a different time of day.

Nintendo has also confirmed that Pokémon will start to exhibit new behaviors as the game progresses, so even if you thoroughly explore one level before moving on, you will still need to return later.

This game is going to be amazing.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This game is going to have tons of content. Nintendo has confirmed there are 200+ Pokémon. (We have seen less than 100 so far, and most of those we have barely seen in action.) Some have variants too, like the many wing patterns of Vivillon or the gender colors of Hippowdon.

Each of the 200+ species has a variety of behaviors, including four special behaviors, ranked in rarity (one star, two stars, three stars, four stars).

So that's more than 800 unique shots you will need to take to complete your Photodex.

You will have to figure out how to make many Pokémon appear, and then figure out how to elicit the desired behavior. Sometimes you will have to lure them to a certain area, or coax them into interactions with other Pokémon. You might have to use certain items, cause environmental reactions or return at a different time of day.

Nintendo has also confirmed that Pokémon will start to exhibit new behaviors as the game progresses, so even if you thoroughly explore one level before moving on, you will still need to return later.

This game is going to be amazing.
Yeah, this sounds rad.
I hope they have some of the multistep photographs where you need to trigger several events to get it perfect. I barely remember the first Snap, but I do remember stuff like getting the Jiggly-puff singing photo at the end, and finding the secret Mew photos to unlock that last "boss" stage.

This is easily the Pokemon game I'm most excited about. Not much interest in the D/P remake (I already bought Platinum ages ago and haven't gotten around to playing it yet) and I kinda doubt that open world game is coming as soon as they say it is.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about secrets to new areas? What about making Pokémon evolve? I haven't seen these things at all. I hope they exist.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
The UI looks good, modern and minimal, but I can't help but love/miss the 64's use of pixel art/ sprites for the UI, and elements like selecting a level and you can actually see animated sprites of Oak and your character... Wonder if they'll include anything like that. Doesn't look like it from the video.

photo mode editing
in game sharing

You can see a number counting down in the top right of every shot in the trailer... is that what you mean?
Oh nice, I missed that somehow! Well, cool, I'm happy then.
Still wish it wouldve been a roll of film like the old games but I'm just an old man

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shinies randomly having a chance to appear and freak people out seems like a given, too.

Or it better be, if anyone working on this has a brain.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The UI looks good, modern and minimal, but I can't help but love/miss the 64's use of pixel art/ sprites for the UI, and elements like selecting a level and you can actually see animated sprites of Oak and your character... Wonder if they'll include anything like that. Doesn't look like it from the video.
Have we seen the level select? I don't remember that in the video.

Generally that's not a thing trailers show off anyways lol.

EDIT: Whoops double post.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago

Oh nice, I missed that somehow! Well, cool, I'm happy then.
Still wish it wouldve been a roll of film like the old games but I'm just an old man
Ha, same on both counts there.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Have we seen the level select? I don't remember that in the video.

Generally that's not a thing trailers show off anyways lol.
No, not that I've seen, you're right. No level select yet. Excited to see the whole game. I was just waxing nostalgic. I doubt that the UI shown in the trailer is final, at least the gameplay in the levels. I'd be blown away if they made it that minimal.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Human art tyle gives off the weird jump force vibes but i love the look of everything else! Pretty hyped.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Looking forward to renting this. Hardly played the original and this looks awesome.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I kinda read "New Zelda snap....".... yeah.
(We kinda have that in BotW)

Im curious. I played the old one, was fun, was really short and fellt like a B-Game.
I'll wait for reviews on this one befor i jump in.