• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I'm down.
though I wonder, do they all eat apples? Lol, or have we moved past that and will they let us choose fruit and figure out which pokemon like bananas

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Did a quick count, I think we've seen 84 Pokemon now (many in brief glimpses), and the PR confirms there are more than 200 in this game, not counting variants. Each Pokemon also have multiple behaviors now, with more unlocking as you play. Plenty of variety!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, interesting translation. FWIW, quite a few languages use the same word for "lense" and "lentil" (since the lentil is shaped like a lense). In German it's identical (Linse), in Spanish it's almost identical (lente vs lenteja), Japanese is also almost identical ( レンズ vs レンズ豆).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Will still be a day one for me just because of the nostalgia and because it's releasing 1 day before my birthday.

But, it's still disappointing how bad it looks and how blurry some of the environments are.
For a game on rails, there should be so much more possible.
But if it's at least native res then I think I will be happy in the end.

The fps were super weird tho in the stream. Thought I had my TVs smooth motion feature on because it looked like 60fps in the Celebi section but a lot less in some of the other.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Ah so there's more interaction than just pointing the camera and shooting? I understand that's the primary mechanic which is cool and all, but it's good if there's a feeling of interaction discovery and surprise in the game. I never played the original.
Finding the special interactions has always been my favorite part of the game. Figuring out which Pokemon can evolve is really cool too.

A former classmate of mine did a short retrospective on the original game and mentions a few of his favorite interactions. It's about 7 minutes if anyone is interested or just wants to feel a bit of nostalgia.

FloofyMoofys

Aug 19, 2019
I like that they added the whole stickers and filters thing, it was a no-brainer but it kinda reminds me of the wii photo channel/3DS photo app

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
This may be the game that actually made me buy a Switch.

Also, it reminds me how much I would love a sequel to Afrika. That PS3 photograph game :(

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Finding the special interactions has always been my favorite part of the game. Figuring out which Pokemon can evolve is really cool too.

A former classmate of mine did a short retrospective on the original game and mentions a few of his favorite interactions. It's about 7 minutes if anyone is interested or just wants to feel a bit of nostalgia.

Very nice. This helps me understand how this is more than a photo mode simulator. I think I'm for this new game. I'm not a huge Pokemon fan, but I like oddball games.

drewchebag

Mar 11, 2018
Yeah, in the original Pokemon Snap, there were many possibilities for coaxing pokemon into certain poses, locations, actions, etc., and many of those would have bonuses associated with them that Professor Oak would apply to your photos when he rated them. So a lot of the game was trying to bring about those conditions in order to snap pokemon in rarer poses or situations and earn a higher score, and sometimes those conditions were harder to achieve because the vehicle is constantly moving or an entire string of conditions had to be met. Hard to say how much of that will be here, exactly, but it went way beyond just taking pics and was really cool.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really great. Nice improvement over the first reveal too.

Online mode is a perfect fit.

Very hyped for April 30th.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
"All the nonlinear parts" is literally ONE area in the entire game. Every town and route was linear and had fixed camera angles. The wild area being open doesn't magically make up for every other area
Its still a sizable area, including the dlc wild areas as well. I don't get what you mean by "making up" for every other area, swsh isn't an on rails game, even if the wild area does not exist.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loves photomode, this looks right up my alley.

This and Returnal on the same day? Count me in!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me there's a haunted house stage in this game. We've got enough spooky pokemon now to make a great one.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I'm impressed at the variety of Pokemon, it didnt feel like it at the time for me, but the original Pokemon Snap really had only a small handful. Didn't expect Chinchou to be included lol

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Odds on Rainbow Cloud reappearing?

Please tell me there's a haunted house stage in this game. We've got enough spooky pokemon now to make a great one.
Yeah they could do some wild locals. The desert and underwater areas already look promising - I'm hoping there's some crazy stuff in later game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Definitely hoping for a ton of biomes and paths. Heck day/night, reverse route, weather and multiple branching paths would add a ton of variety

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I just love how alive the Pokemon look in this. They really feel like animals in their natural habitat. And now that we have so many damn Pokemon, there is some legit biodiversity on display here! This game is looking really neat.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
As a hobbyist film-photographer, I really really hope they don't do away with the film (ammo) limit for each level. I mean, it doesn't have to be film, but having a limit really added to the gameplay.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
OMG New Pokemon Snap looks awesome. Throwing the whatever fruit at Tyranitar, the Vaporeon, the Alolan Raichu I was dying from cuteness overload. Easily my most anticipated game in a long time.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who never played Pokemon Snap, this is basically just on rails photo mode kinda game? Like the whole game is just taking photos of Pokémons?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
As someone who never played Pokemon Snap, this is basically just on rails photo mode kinda game? Like the whole game is just taking photos of Pokémons?
You also interact with them to get the best shots, you can even set off chains of events Rube Goldberg style to trigger evolutions and even new routes!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

a spoopy, old-time japanese haunted house? yes pls

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
You also interact with them to get the best shots, you can even set off chains of events Rube Goldberg style to trigger evolutions and even new routes!
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on it then. It sounds like something that my son would enjoy. It's too bad there's no demo to try out.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
In the original we had a Beach, Tunnel, Volcano, River, Cave and Valley level.

It seems like so far we've seen the beach, jungle, forest and desert levels. My prediction is around 10 levels with 20 Pokemon each. I love the idea of a haunted house level and an arctic one, because Ghost and Ice are my favorite types. Since there's Blastoise and Venusaur, Charizard is pretty much a guarantee which means the Volcano region will likely return.

The rest of the Lental Photodex looks promising so far. I'm super hyped for Alolan Raichu and I hope there will be chances to catch it beside a Pikachu riding a surfboard like in the original. I'm stoked for the inclusion of Zangoose because it's one of my favorites and I'm looking forward to catching it in battle against Seviper.

Top Pokemon I want are Sylveon, Absol and my new favorite Toxtricity. Please let me capture Jigglypuff getting mad when Toxtricity starts to rock out on stage.

Apr 21, 2018
Based on some of the clips in the trailer, this has gyro aiming.

I don't about the rest of you guys, but I NEED this to have gyro to have maximum enjoyment.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
In the original we had a Beach, Tunnel, Volcano, River, Cave and Valley level.

It seems like so far we've seen the beach, jungle, forest and desert levels. My prediction is around 10 levels with 20 Pokemon each. I love the idea of a haunted house level and an arctic one, because Ghost and Ice are my favorite types. Since there's Blastoise and Venusaur, Charizard is pretty much a guarantee which means the Volcano region will likely return.

The rest of the Lental Photodex looks promising so far. I'm super hyped for Alolan Raichu and I hope there will be chances to catch it beside a Pikachu riding a surfboard like in the original. I'm stoked for the inclusion of Zangoose because it's one of my favorites and I'm looking forward to catching it in battle against Seviper.

Top Pokemon I want are Sylveon, Absol and my new favorite Toxtricity. Please let me capture Jigglypuff getting mad when Toxtricity starts to rock out on stage.
Content should be heavier since each level should have a night/day/weather variant

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Content should be heavier since each level should have a night/day/weather variant
Definitely, I was thinking of that after, how it's really going to help with the replayability of the levels. It's something I liked a lot in the original replaying the levels over and over to get the different poses. Now some Pokemon are likely only to show up in the levels under certain conditions.

200 Pokemon is not that much though. Obviously more than the original, but a much smaller percentage. I know some of my favorites aren't going to make it, which I'm okay with since there are a lot of Pokemon I like.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Definitely, I was thinking of that after, how it's really going to help with the replayability of the levels. It's something I liked a lot in the original replaying the levels over and over to get the different poses. Now some Pokemon are likely only to show up in the levels under certain conditions.

200 Pokemon is not that much though. Obviously more than the original, but a much smaller percentage. I know some of my favorites aren't going to make it, which I'm okay with since there are a lot of Pokemon I like.
I'd imagine this one will have a shiny mechanic at least

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks absolutely incredible, the most gorgeous and vibrant Pokemon game ever too. Can't wait!