• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this mess has made Sony forget about ever doing a PS2 Classic, if that was ever a thing in the cards. But if the level of effort would have been the same as this, maybe it's for the best that we'll never see it.

PS5 BC, please come and save us.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
Still even considering swinging by my local Best BUy and just grabbing it at 39.99. Will be well worth it if I can use the mod software available to get Ridge Racer Type 4 and Tekken 3 ROMs running at NTSC refresh rates (or replacing the PAL ROMs with NTSC ones)... I haven't seen any sort of validation that that can happen, but if I find out that's the case, $39.99 will be worth it to me.

It's well worth $39.99 imo. I picked one up a few days ago and have really been enjoying it. I've already spent several hours on Ridge Racer Type 4 and plan to play a good bit of Metal Gear Solid and GTA. Those three games alone are worth the price.

Its also important to note that you can change to the NTSC version by plugging in a keyboard and hitting escape to access the emulator options, or by using a Bluetooth controller with the 8BitDo adapter

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's well worth $39.99 imo. I picked one up a few days ago and have really been enjoying it. I've already spent several hours on Ridge Racer Type 4 and plan to play a good of Metal Gear Solid and GTA. Those three games alone are worth the price.

Its also important to note that you can change to the NTSC version by plugging in a keyboard and hitting escape to access the emulator options, or by using a Bluetooth controller with the 8BitDo adapter

Well dang, guess I may have to give this a go then.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Worth it for emulation? Really just want to play ff tactics. Already have a wireless controller for my snes mini though, just run the ps1 emulator on my snes?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm waiting for it to reach ÂŁ25 in the UK before I bite. I have no idea what the hacking scene is currently like for it, but I assume it's easy enough to execute by now for that price. Plus I'll take any excuse to play a non-shit port of the best game ever made again (FFVII).

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I know the game selection isn't that good but I think this also proves why people prefer 2d graphics over old 3D graphics

Ps1 era games just haven't aged well

I think that Sony could have easily put 20 games on the PS1 Classic that have aged well, seeing as how I own over 20 PS1 games that I still think are great. I still can't believe how bad the game selection is for this system.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Sony could have easily put 20 games on the PS1 Classic that have aged well, seeing as how I own over 20 PS1 games that I still think are great. I still can't believe how bad the game selection is for this system.
The final fantasies and metal gear solid are the only ones I think I could replay, and the final fantasies are 2d for the most part

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
If you can't sell an emulation box for $29.99 with 2 usb controllers, FFVII and Metal Gear Solid, then you fucked up hard. Good job, Sony.

Oct 27, 2017

You don't need to do that anymore. The thing is broken wide open now. Look into AutoBleem or BleemSync. Also, you can access the PSCX menu simply by hitting Select+Triangle. I was playing G-Darius on my 60" TV the other day; didn't feel like I wasted $40 at all.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
You don't need to do that anymore. The thing is broken wide open now. Look into AutoBleem or BleemSync. Also, you can access the PSCX menu simply by hitting Select+Triangle.

I plan on installing BleemSync tonight. Going to add the games Sony should have included... It may take a while though due to me not owning many of my older games anymore. I'll have to rebuy them before downloading.

May 5, 2018
When the thread title said "New" PlayStation Classic I thought it was an actual new PS Classic with Dualsock controllers and different games. Anyways that's a little more like what I'd pay for this system but prefer 19.99. One day I'll play Intelligent Qube. One day.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it will go lower.
PS TV was cleared at 19.99.

Wait to see what will happen once the N64 is released.
I think 30 is the lowest. The difference between this and pstv is that these are easy as heck to hack right out of the box, where the pstv was pretty much considered a brick when it hit that low.

People are going to buy them all up and within two years, the prices will be ridiculous.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't think it will sell as good as the snes Classic
Eh, it'd also likelier be a more premium product.

I can't imagine Nintendo wouldn't charge at least $99 for an N64 mini with 2 controllers and 15-20 games.

Some of its best/most fondly remembered games are also mired in licensing hell (Goldeneye, the Star Wars games, the wrestling games etc.) which would mirror the problem with the PS1 Classic somewhat.

That being said, even a first party-only N64 Classic would have some appeal. Mario 64, two Zelda games, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash, DK64, Star Fox 64, Pokemon Snap, etc. Don't forget that the N64 actually outsold the SNES LTD in the US, it would be absolutely massive here.

May 5, 2018
Wow I didn't realize this thing flopped so hard.
Sony's fault for not bringing in a better library of games to the West and for certain games being the PAL versions where they perform much slower. Also they probably didn't want to put in games like the Crash games (1-3 and CTR) and Spryo due to the remasters, but those are synonymous w/ the PS1 and Oddworld Abe's Odyssee still got in despite New N' Tasty being a remaster of AO coming out not that long ago. Same thing for something like Castlevania Symphony of the Night because that was re-released in a collection last year. They also needed to knock emulation out but had a half-caring way of doing so to the point that even some of the NTSC games weren't performing right.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Lol you can tell Sony gave no fucks about the games on the classic and were hoping idiots would buy it just because of nostalgia.

PS Classic should have been so much more. In the end it's all about the games on it not on how it looks.

Oct 26, 2017
I know the game selection isn't that good but I think this also proves why people prefer 2d graphics over old 3D graphics

Ps1 era games just haven't aged well

??????

How does this prove that people prefer 2D graphics over 3D? Especially when you're downplaying how much of a difference game selection makes (SNES and NES Classics having iconic games while PS Classic has only 2). There are tons of PS1 games that have aged well in terms of gameplay and graphics, and yet, Sony clearly never bothered to use them.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Snagged for $30 with no tax and I had a random coupon and some eBay bucks. Not bad. It's kind of superfluous since I have multiple Vitas, PS TV, computers, and more but for that price and wide open emulation, why not.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
The cheapest I can find these in the UK is around the ÂŁ45 mark. I'm tempted to get one but I can wait.

I just hope it suddenly doesn't shoot up in price. I keep hearing how the PlayStation TV is very cheap, but in the UK they're around ÂŁ60.

Oct 28, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

(Lower)
This made my day. Thank you, sir or madam!

Oct 25, 2017
Sony was so fucking stupid. Just what a piece of shit all around. You make a garbage product, you get a garbage result.

Just so many dumb decisions.

Just so fucking many.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Bought mine for $19.99 at Walmart a while ago and still haven't opened it out of the box yet.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Hope sony gives this another try with dualshock controllers and a half decent list of games.

But probably not.

Oct 25, 2017

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Bleh, I bought it. At worst I'll have two controller that should be good for digital controls on steam games.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Does anyone know how good those usb controllers work on PC? I'm about to bite the bullet for those alone.