• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I'm sorry... what is this?

qKhoR9f.png

Yeah this was so fucking random lol.. good spot, but I dont want to see it again I guess?

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like it. Yeah it doesn't show gameplay or have anything to do with the system launch, but it's Sony-style mental (like previous brand ads)

and the music - soo good (The Who - but sounds like some form of remix)

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
This is a terrible ad. Doesn't show the system. Doesn't show the games. I don't even think any of the ships we see in the ads represent any of the games announced for it? This is like the baby PS3 ad, just not creepy.
It is an incredible ad and its point isn't to promote the PS5 but the new slogan. Sony has already mentioned that they want to promote "Play has no limits" as a unified slogan across all markets (wasn't the case with "greatness awaits" which was US specific).

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I like it. It mirrors the "Play Has No Limits" tagline in a very creative fashion and is mysterious enough to grab people's imagination.

It's cool to see Sony continuing to mix artsy ads with some more "on the nose" ones. It has worked well for them.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
It is an incredible ad and its point isn't to promote the PS5 but the new slogan. Sony has already mentioned that they want to promote "Play has no limits" as a unified slogan across all markets (wasn't the case with "greatness awaits" which was US specific).
Yep, it's purpose is to elevate the brand in the consumer consciousness during a pivotal moment.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Amazing ad.

Sony: Fear Not. True Next Gen Gaming Is Coming

cmuNUqw.jpg

PlayStation 5 ($499) and PlayStation 5 Digital Edition ($399) is arriving, November **

JWxjdza.jpg

Join us! New Horizons Await

ki6s4lm.jpg

plural abyss

Oct 27, 2017
Cool ad for the moment we're in right now

On the precipice of a new generation, aboard the SS Playstation with the wind (and crying behind a mask meme guy) at our backs.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I mean it looks cool but I always wonder if these artsy ads actually get anyone to buy into things. Their budget seems magnitudes greater than just, y'know, showing the thing you're trying to sell.
Weird artsy ads are never designed to "sell" something, they exist to maintain brand recognition. The weirder they are, the more people talk about it and remember it.

The stronger the brand recognition, the more people will watch the games showcase, which is designed to sell the product. That's why there's such a contrast with the games showcases being all stoic and professional, historically on stage with suits.

www.ve.com

Weird Advertising: 5 Brands Getting it Right

This blog explores 5 of our favourite examples of weird advertising from around the world, analysing how and why they became such a success.

OP
OP
Toumari

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
"The Edge" showcases our ambition to challenge the ordinary and continue to push the boundaries of play. We want to raise the bar for our fans and for ourselves as we move into a new generation. The core of our brand is defined by those thrilling moments when our hearts race and we leap into undiscovered adventure. That's what this new ad is all about.
PlayStation 5 launches this holiday, delivering a new generation of innovation in gameplay, storytelling, and immersion that will transport players to new worlds at lightning speed. The future of gaming looks incredibly promising, and we want to make a few more promises in turn. We will never stop imagining the future. We will never stop cherishing games, the remarkable people who make them, and the passionate people who play them, because we believe that Play Has No Limits.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...gamers-beyond-the-edge-to-explore-new-worlds/

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What the ad is for PlayStation? You didn't know that watching the ad? If you couldn't tell that maybe it's not the ad's fault. His point is that no one read the OP.
I never said I didn't get it. I was a bit confused and I read it and made sense.

My point is, it's a brand awareness ad sure but for most people watching it will be confused and move on. They aren't going to go find an interview or article explaining it. They will see the ad and go "that was weird but looked cool." And that's it.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
This is a terrible ad. Doesn't show the system. Doesn't show the games. I don't even think any of the ships we see in the ads represent any of the games announced for it? This is like the baby PS3 ad, just not creepy.
That's the thing. What you just saw is a new game. A new IP from Naughty Dog.
Real-time graphics

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Great advert, tells me all I need to know about the BRAND - edgy and exciting. Look forward to the Ps5 focused ads coming in the coming weeks!

May 7, 2020
I never said I didn't get it. I was a bit confused and I read it and made sense.

My point is, it's a brand awareness ad sure but for most people watching it will be confused and move on. They aren't going to go find an interview or article explaining it. They will see the ad and go "that was weird but looked cool." And that's it.
It says playstation at the end. It doesn't need anything else.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it looks cool but I always wonder if these artsy ads actually get anyone to buy into things. Their budget seems magnitudes greater than just, y'know, showing the thing you're trying to sell.

I mean, they've been doing weird ads like this for years and years. Clearly they have some data that they're effective otherwise they wouldn't still be making them.