• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are really sticking to Vita like face buttons. I'm going to miss the colored ones.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Great news about the battery, controller looks really amazing, can't wait to try it hands on.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
+ 560mAh

New Haptic motor(s)
New Microphone.
New Trigger Mechanism. (Am I the only one who thinks it uses magnetic resistance)

Hopefully its enough to actually increase the overall play time on the controllers not just by an hour.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
A 77% increase would be a lot, but since the DS4's battery life was so horrible, this alone would only bring it up to maybe 14 hours.
I suppose that would be acceptable, but hopefully Sony has also managed to make the controller efficient and addressed whatever made the DS4's battery life so abysmal, beyond the low capacity. The DS5 could plausibly have an actually good battery life.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
PC mice usually do adaptive polling. Basically, the rate goes up and down on activity. That means much more efficiency, at the cost of having fluctuating latency figures.

My guess is that Sony just has their rate cranked up 100% of the time for consistency and, likely, the device never puts the radios to sleep at all.
Yeah, that's why I suspect the main issue is that it's just not a very efficient design.
Logitech managed to get more than a 5x battery life improvement with their latest sensors - 32 hours to 180 with the same 750 mAh LiPo battery - and did not compromise performance at all.

That's not how this works. Rechargeable AA's are only 1.2V so 2500mAh is only 3Wh. Smaller than the DS4's battery.
Thank you. So many people get this wrong.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if there's regular old rumble in there or does the triggers 'emulate' it?

Pretty sure they still have classic rumble motors combined with a 3D Touch style Haptic Motor(s) inside as well.(Probably under the touchpad)

The trigger resistance things makes me think they are using something like magnets to increase and decrease the resistance you feel in the trigger. (I dont think they would use even more moving parts to give resistance but who knows)
Its not just rumble like the Impulse Triggers on the Xbox One controller.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand people complaining about battery. Do you really need a week of autonomy? I can use my DS4 for 2-3 days without charging, and when the battery is empty I just leave it charging. It is not like some kind of torture or anything, you plug the cable and leave it there at night while you are sleeping or when you are at work or whatever.
You cannot use a DS4 for 2-3 days.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the face buttons flat like the DS4 or round like the Xbox controllers

I really like the flat buttons and I'd hate for them to change

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
the leaker says that:
face buttons, shoulder buttons, triggers feel better
sticks and dpad is the same
create and options buttons are more mechanical
same weight as an xbox controller
he would rate it much higher than a DS4
after that the leaker disassembled the controller (did not take pictures out of confidentiallity)
expects the cost to be higher than the DS4 because of the triggers
its using the same protocol as the DS4, although at present it does not work on a PS4

Someone read through the forum where the pics seemingly originate from.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The original DS4 only had a 800mA battery.. it was the later revisions that had the 1000mA.

O6nlg6L.jpg

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020
Sure, 50% more battery, but aren't there a lot more components to power in there? Many haptic feedback motors and such?

Guess we'll see.

As a side note, you can get 2500mah in two AA batteries. Really wish Sony went the MS route and just allowed AAs.

Well rechargeable Ni-MH AA batteries are 1.2V, this battery back is 4.2V, so the AA is actually less than half of this batt pack in terms of watt-hours.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
+ 560mAh

New Haptic motor(s)
New Microphone.
New Trigger Mechanism. (Am I the only one who thinks it uses magnetic resistance)

Hopefully its enough to actually increase the overall play time on the controllers not just by an hour.

I though Haptic motors use less power than standard rumble motors, could be wrong.

The light has been reduced which should help a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Pretty sure they still have classic rumble motors combined with a 3D Touch style Haptic Motor(s) inside as well.(Probably under the touchpad)

If you're doing VCAs like they're doing, there's no real reason to have ERMs there as well. VCAs can do everything ERMs can do better and more efficiently (and do a lot of other things, like single cycle actuation, amplitude modulation, phase synch, etc).

I though Haptic motors use less power than standard rumble motors, could be wrong.

They do, VCAs are considerably more energy efficient.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I though Haptic motors use less power than standard rumble motors, could be wrong

Haptic motors as found in phones yes use less power.
But are they completely getting rid of handle mounted rumble motors to replace them with these.
I figured they still had Rumble motors and haptic motors for the subtle feedback needed and then the crazy rumble we know and love for when you are firing that massive automatic rifle.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand people complaining about battery. Do you really need a week of autonomy? I can use my DS4 for 2-3 days without charging, and when the battery is empty I just leave it charging. It is not like some kind of torture or anything, you plug the cable and leave it there at night while you are sleeping or when you are at work or whatever.
Standards. What are they?

Needing to constantly charge while playing through Persona 5 was annoying. Obviously not the worst thing ever, but if other controllers and previous Sony controllers didn't have this issue why would I want to put up with it now.

I don't have this issue on the Switch.

That is all.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
The DS4's light has been tested, it doesn't drain the battery that significantly.

Putting the light brightness on high vs low for me is a difference of about 3 hours. I know that's anecdotal and I also have the original launch controller which means I'm probably worse off than most. But that's demonstrable 100% of the time for me.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
What kind of special ds4 do you have that last for 2-3 days with 5 hour a day playing sessions. Mine does not last that long at all

anyway, controller looks massive with lots of real estate on the back, now to hold out until scuff releases one with 4 paddles

I don't play for 5 hours every day, between 2 and 3 maybe.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Haptic motors as found in phones yes use less power.
But are they completely getting rid of handle mounted rumble motors to replace them with these.
I figured they still had Rumble motors and haptic motors for the subtle feedback needed and then the crazy rumble we know and love for when you are firing that massive automatic rifle.

I assume they removed the standard motors as haptic can do strong rumble, I think Nintendo just did not implement them well in the hardware. im sure sony is using a more modern version too which should help.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course you can, it depends on how much you play. I usually play between 2 or 3 hours a day. If you play for longer then maybe you need to charge it everyday. I still don't see the issue, just charge it every night.
To charge, my PS4 needs to be on, so the whole charge every night thing doesn't really work. Also, I shouldn't have to charge a controller every night.

But let me guess, buy a charging station. And yet you somehow don't understand the complaints.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I assume they removed the standard motors as haptic can do strong rumble, I think Nintendo just did not implement them well in the hardware. im sure sony is using a more modern version too which should help.

JoyCons and phones use LRAs, a related but different technology. They're more compact, but deliver more subtle rumble. VCAs can be much, much larger, with bigger driven mass - stronger rumble.

VCAs are basically loudspeakers, but instead of having a cone it is a driven mass.

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

The Wii U controller lasted 80 hours, the Switch one lasts 40. Xbox One is 30 and is considered bad. The DS4 doesn't do anything that those controllers can't do (except lights, the touchpad and stuff like that which is zero benefit to the player). All people are asking is for the controller to be at least close to modern day standards.10-14 hours is a joke no matter how you swing it.

Hell, it was a joke in the Gamecube generation, when the Wavebird could make 2 AA batteries last 100 hours.

I have two Dualshock 4s so I can switch them out and use one and charge the other at the same time- I haven't had time to play games in weeks, they have only been used for Netflix, YouTube etc, but I still need to swap them around every 2-3 days just from that extremely light usage. I also have the automatic turn off after lack of use set to the smallest possible timeframe (15 minutes) but it still drains rapidly.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Sweet!

Makes sense.
Thats legit....cant wait to see how developers use this tech.
Should be really immersive for pretty much any game.

Racing games - Accelerator is softer than the brake, and brake gets harder and harder as you reach the limits of traction.
Shooters - Different guns different triggers.
Splinter Cell - You know the choke hold has worked because the trigger goes limp as the character passes out.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To charge, my PS4 needs to be on, so the whole charge every night thing doesn't really work. Also, I shouldn't have to charge a controller every night.

But let me guess, buy a charging station. And yet you somehow don't understand the complaints.
You can set the USB ports to charge the controller when the PS4 is in sleep mode (yellow light). But yeah, the battery life on the PS4 controller is really bad, especially compared to the Switch Pro controller. Don't have experience with an Xbox controller.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's not how this works. Rechargeable AA's are only 1.2V so 2500mAh is only 3Wh. Smaller than the DS4's battery.
Thats not how any of this works though. 2500mah AA is not to be compared to this
Well rechargeable Ni-MH AA batteries are 1.2V, this battery back is 4.2V, so the AA is actually less than half of this batt pack in terms of watt-hours.

I see, every day is a school day.

Still cautious on this, the DS4's battery life is one of the real negatives of this generation. Hope this fixes it.

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020

Most people will just leave the PS4 on sleep, and that allows you to charge the controllers just fine. You can also set the PS4 to cut out USB power after 6 hours in sleep to avoid overcharging the batteries.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet!

Makes sense.

Racing games - Accelerator is softer than the brake, and brake gets harder and harder as you reach the limits of traction.
Splinter Cell - You know the choke hold has worked because the trigger goes limp as the character passes out.
I've linked the actual patent in my previous post now, looking through it (which I didn't do orginally I just rememeber the drawing), there's actually a variety of designs but they all use the same premise so it's likely they've achieved it mechanically.

debu7058

Dec 22, 2019
Sweet!

Makes sense.

That splinter cell idea or any stealth game for the matter is neat.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
This all sounds like gravy to me. I get maybe 4-5 days out of a DS4 before I need to charge it so adding another 50% to that would be pretty significant. Also keep in mind that the DualSense doesn't have a light bar. IIRC, that was the biggest drain in battery with the DS4.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Sweet!

Makes sense.

In Ratchet & Clank, there are two level presses for some guns.
"One of the examples is the Enforcer, it's a double-barrelled shotgun. It uses the adaptive triggers to give you tension as you're moving your finger down halfway, you can fire one barrel.

"You pull it all the way down, you can fire both barrels. But all along the way, you can feel the difference between the tension tightening up."