• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Seriously? This is their "surprise"

It's about 8 pages. The way Blizzard are treating Lore in OW is ridiculous. The lack of content in this game is blowing my mind. I was assuming maybe something new like Retribution or even a fucking animated short, but nope, a short god damn story. Bloody wow.

Blizzard have some great writers and are amazing with Lore, yet this is what comes out? Ridiculous.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Not the comic specifically, more to the reveal of anyone. It was like, oh, of course it's Tracer, they ignore most of the cast in favour of her for marketing so why not add another thing to her one-ply toilet paper personality. She has like next to nothing going on for her in the backstory compared to a lot of other characters (like Jack) despite how much importance they place on her everywhere, just can't stand her, SORRY NOT SORRY.

I mean I guess you could look at it that way, but I doubt that's why they chose her. I suspect she was queer from the start, maybe even designed a bit around that (which you could debate is tone deaf, sure), and they revealed it as time made sense for.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool. At least they didn't chicken out by making it ambiguous.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure which is more surprising to me, that Soldier 76 is gay or the fact he's Old Man Logan. I know he pops healing canisters in the game to heal himself and his team, but this says he pretty has self-healing abilities like Wolverine. Never knew.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Something about Vincent and his design makes me wonder if this was them wanting to make a character who looks close enough to Gabe (dark haired, wears black) for Jack to have been romantically involved with, but also not Reaper and a civilian who settled down so they don't have to deal with him going forward.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a fun story, I'd like them to do more of these if comics and shorts are too difficult. Getting to learn the inner thoughts of the characters through prose is also great.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because gay men aren't fetishized by straight men.
I mean even in world where I don't think it would be fetishized.

Like to give an example several Cartoon Network shows have gay characters now. That's cool.

But like the only gay men I can think of are minor or background characters.(please correct me if I'm missing something as I no longer have cable.)

Again I'm not going to complain about more LGBT representation but this was something I'd been wondering about recently.

I guess I just didn't think it was "just" fetishization.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Something about Vincent and his design makes me wonder if this was them wanting to make a character who looks close enough to Gabe (dark haired, wears black) for Jack to have been romantically involved with, but also not Reaper and a civilian who settled down so they don't have to deal with him going forward.

Could be, in the scrapped lore, that Jack/Gabe were the ones in a relationship. Who knows.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ut0M1Yp.png

Pretty cool.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Bastion only has room in his heart for Ganymede.
I'd so be down for a short of just them hanging out. A buddy adventure short if you will.

Reading through the story, the idea of putting Reinhardt on a stealth mission sounds hilarious and great. I want to see how bad that apparently went.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
The story was a fun read, and I liked how the two characters bounced off from one another (Jack being a stubborn old man, both Jack and Ana having regrets about their past actions, etc.), and I'm digging Ana's new design.

And learning some of Soldier's back story and his past relationship was fun to see, but I'm dreading that the OW community are going to be jackasses about this.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Good on them for not just leaving their LGBT rep at Tracer and Emily. Like others have said, it's often seen as "safer" to have lesbian characters than gay male ones, especially in big-name entertainment.

(Of course, putting this stuff in out-of-game supplementary lore is still a lot less exposure than actually putting it in the game, but that's the nature of Overwatch's storytelling...)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the male characters to make gay though, this is just the best.

Gay Rights Soldier 76

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So after reading this

Is reaper Just... a grey dude under there. I though it was gona be some doctor doom shit, is he just a grey dude? If so that's sick and they should maskless outfits

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I love this. At the same time it's fucking annoying to be like "overwatch finally has a second gay character!", when it's like one of the first characters introduced, lol.

Come on, if cinematics and comics take up too much bandwidth, put out like a wiki of the OW history. I hope they're working on a novel at least.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure people are going to be extremely rational about this and not attack Blizzard for "pushing a political agenda" because that would be pretty silly

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? This is their "surprise"

It's about 8 pages. The way Blizzard are treating Lore in OW is ridiculous. The lack of content in this game is blowing my mind. I was assuming maybe something new like Retribution or even a fucking animated short, but nope, a short god damn story. Bloody wow.

Blizzard have some great writers and are amazing with Lore, yet this is what comes out? Ridiculous.
I gotta say, it's a bit premature to expect an even like retribution or an animated short on effectively a random day. They save those things for key days on their calendar like the anniversary or an Overwatch event.

It's not surprising that OW is so devoid of Lore, it wasn't their focus when they made the game to expand it like everyone wants them to. Also Blizzard isn't that great at lore, I've tried to stay on top across their games and they miss waaaaaay more than they hit lore wise. Best things as of late have been their books.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
We can confirm Soldier plowing some rando dude but we still can't get the deets on if Reinhardt tucked Ana in or not

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Very pleased about this. I was always very fond of 76 and now I'm even fonder of him : ] .

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It's been speculated by fans that Gabe/Reaper could be a corpse that's slowly decaying. Feels like a natural conclusion to Moira having fun with poking at his genetics.
Could be.

I kind of don't want him to be decaying? Now In my mind Imagine he's some gray dude with mad blue vails and like white hair. He just looks like a ghoul and i'm into it

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You know what I'm impressed.

Seems like 80% of the time a character is revealed to be gay it's a woman.

I don't have a problem with that I just wonder why men are less often gay in media I watch.

So props, this is cool to see.

Not the character I would have expected but hey.

The Reaper76 fans must be so conflicted.

Yup. Gay men aren't nearly as represented in media as gay women, and it sucks. I just want more cute gay boys :(