• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
God bless Mob Psycho for delivering where OPM failed us.

It's gonna be a long ass time before there will be enough material for a Season 3, so here's hoping that they pass OPM off to Bones when the time comes because fuck JC Staff.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
This animation quality is what you'd expect from a long-running series. What happened? The problem isn't even the unfavorable comparison to Season 1. The action scenes look stiffer than figurines, and whatever the artists did to Geno doesn't work. Good thing we have Mob Psycho 100.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
This animation quality is what you'd expect from a long-running series. What happened? The problem isn't even the unfavorable comparison to Season 1. The action scenes look stiffer than figurines, and whatever the artists did to Geno doesn't work. Good thing we have Mob Psycho 100.

Different studio

Oct 25, 2017
its ok, at least the garou stuff is super interesting and totally not a boring, eternal drag that just abandons any notion of being a parody and just becomes that

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Oh dear lord. I'm really afraid for this one and the trailer didn't give me any confidence.

Watch Mob Psycho II everyone.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man I was prepared for the downgrade from Madhouse to JC but this is still underwhelming.

Out of ONE's adaptations, Mob stays winning.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
All the that time they had and that's what they felt comfortable with to deliver?

Luckily Mob Psycho is doing what OPM was supposed to do and giving us animation of unheard quality.

But hey, new stuff from JAM Project!

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Why MADHOUSE. Why have you forsaken us. Now we're gonna have to deal with JCStaff.
S1 is made by mostly freelancers so even if Madhouse was to do it, the end result for S2 is still the same. The director of S1 is busy with another project and execs want another sequel churn out fast for $$$. So no S1 director with his freelancer contacts + exec meddling = S2 mess.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
S1 is made by mostly freelancers so even if Madhouse was to do it, the end result for S2 is still the same. The director of S1 is busy with another project and execs want another sequel churn out fast for $$$. So no S1 director with his freelancer contacts + exec meddling = S2 mess.
I'm not entirely sure I'd call this "fast".

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Whoo boy that's stiff af. Hope they're saving some better sakuga moments :/

At least JC is decent at doing key shots

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Madhouse was responsible for about 50% of OPM based on what the sakuga cartel have said so let's not downplay their contribution. Mob Psycho Season 2 has a lot of freelancers that worked on it as well. In fact, most production these days have plenty of freelancers on staff so I don't see what difference that makes.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, looks like a downgrade.. Still somewhat excited though, it's still one punch man after all.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Fuck :(
I really tried to stay positive and hopeful until the end. But now it's very obvious that it will be a major disappointment.
I'm seriously sad about this. That's not my sakuga hype train :(

At least Mob Psycho is still delivering like nothing else.

But still... Man.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The bright side to this whole situation is that it will cover a filler arc that while good in some parts, Metal Bat, it was very mediocre in everything else, especially anytime they cut back to Saitama.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Madhouse was responsible for about 50% of OPM based on what the sakuga cartel have said so let's not downplay their contribution. Mob Psycho Season 2 has a lot of freelancers that worked on it as well. In fact, most production these days have plenty of freelancers on staff so I don't see what difference that makes.
The main issue is that OPM S2 is being made by different staff with different connections and standards, so they're turning in a poor job. Obviously the sponsors don't really care, they just want a show out. Meanwhile all the people who made OPM S1 great are split between Boogiepop and Mob Psycho S2. It's too bad.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Except Mob Psycho S2 still have the same director who probably still uses the same freelancer contacts that was involved in S1.

Do you honestly can't see the difference between having 2 different directors who both have 2 different access of freelancer contacts who they think they are best for the job? If you were to put S1 director and his freelancer contacts in JC staff to do S2 , you can bet your ass the quality would be the same as season 1.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Im'ma gonna try to give it a shot up to the end of King's arc to see if things improve but damn this is a noticeable downgrade from S1.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
The main issue is that OPM S2 is being made by different staff with different connections and standards, so they're turning in a poor job. Obviously the sponsors don't really care, they just want a show out. Meanwhile all the people who made OPM S1 great are split between Boogiepop and Mob Psycho S2. It's too bad.
Except Mob Psycho S2 still have the same director who probably still uses the same freelancer contacts that was involved in S1.

Do you honestly can't see the difference between having 2 different directors who both have 2 different access of freelancer contacts who they think they are best for the job? If you were to put S1 director and his freelancer contacts in JC staff to do S2 , you can bet your ass the quality would be the same as season 1.
I'm aware of that. I'm just tired of people not giving Madhouse credit for OPM. While it's true that it had many freelancers that worked on it, Madhouse also had their own in-house staff work on it and they were responsible for about half of the show. JC Staff are in a far worse state than Madhouse right now and to imply that it would have been the same if they handled it is a stretch.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
For a show that's premiering in less than a month, they sure haven't shown much.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm aware of that. I'm just tired of people not giving Madhouse credit for OPM. While it's true that it had many freelancers that worked on it, Madhouse also had their own in-house staff work on it and they were responsible for about half of the show. JC Staff are in a far worse state than Madhouse right now and to imply that it would have been the same if they handled it is a stretch.
Madhouse deserves credit for cultivating good working relationships with staff who can put together good shows. That's what most studios are today, including BONES. The majority of studios train in-between animators as employees, who then go freelance if they graduate to key animators. The only studios I can think of which makes an actual attempt to retain in-house talent across all required disciplines to make a TV series are Ufotable and Kyoto Animation. I don't really think JC Staff is in a worse state than Madhouse in terms of overall management. They released Children of Whales and Planet With in recent years and those were well produced. OPM S2 could be produced at JC Staff with good lead staff and it would be fine. Just like how it could be produced at Madhouse with the same lead staff here and still be bad.

Ultimately the fault lies with the people funding the shows. If they asked people who wanted to make a good proper adaptation and were told it was not possible in the time frame requested because of the lack of availability of staff in the industry, they could have waited. Instead they decided not to wait and just went with whoever was willing to take the job and produce the results. JC Staff ended up being the place it is made at, but it could really have ended up being any number of studios and it would still be unfortunate.