• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
As a father of a two year old this scares the shit out of me

Sitting here with my 2 year Covid positive son coughing on me. He's doing alright. Started with light cough and fever but he's broke the fever just a nasty cough, nasal congestion and an ear infection. Surprisingly my 4 year old and 7 month old and wife and I have all tested negative.

I know more people positive right now then the past 2 years combined

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Plinko.

"The reason is that with the sheer volume of new cases that we are having and that we expect to continue with omicron, one of the things we want to be careful of is we don't have so many people out,"

giphy.gif

Same as it ever was.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Our four year old was hospitalized when he was 1.5 for a respiratory illness. I'm scared shitless of what would happen if he got it. Can be vaccinated in February once he turns 5 but he's starting school next week. I don't know what to think. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason or pattern to hospitalizations so not sure how his immune system would handle it.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
While Spinner sees little evidence the Omicron variant is causing more severe disease in children than previous variants did, he's also seeing no evidence it's milder.

So what the fuck is it? Is it worse for kids or are kids just as unlikely to get severe illness as with previous variants?

So is the title click bait or what is happening?

Oct 25, 2017
So what the fuck is it? Is it worse for kids or are kids just as unlikely to get severe illness as with previous variants?

So is the title click bait or what is happening?
It is worse for kids because more people are getting sick, which means more kids will get sick. Even if it is milder (it isn't), that means more kids will get severely sick. We are about to go back to school too.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If people just appreciated and respected healthcare workers a little, they'd want to get vaccinated just to avoid having to be a burden on them.
You know I took an oath to take care of my patients without prejudice and to the best of my abilities, however, there's this 1% in me that wished that we have people sign a no treatment waiver if they haven't been vaccinated.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't even vaccinate my kids until they're 12 in the UK so not like I can do anything productive with this news. I presume it's less 'Omicron is more dangerous for kids!' specifically and more 'Omicron is so contagious everyone will get it and as a percentage of total infected the numbers of infected kids will naturally increase'.

They've both had Covid already anyway.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I offered my sister $2,000 to get herself and her kids vaccinated. She turned it down because she's seen too many adverse reactions (doubt it) to the vaccine. The one niece has asthma and is type 1 diabetic. I really hope she doesn't end up in the hospital.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
because a lot of damn fools in this city decided to ditch masks about three months ago.

One of the other huge fuck ups the CDC had was the earlier guidance that people who were vaccinated, no longer required masks when in transit/moving around. That was stupid on a level I did not think was imaginable.

And of course, the timing was fucking awful too, because only a small handful of the US who wanted to be vaccinated, were, meanwhile a larger portion had to be dragged, kicking and screaming to get it done.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I wish Florida schools would force vaccinations for COVID and enforce masks but the leadership here is just awful and that's me being nice because I don't wanna be banned

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I are getting tested tomorrow but we both have sore throats. I have a 4 month old baby so it's scary as fuck

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
And to think I had a doctor tell me that vaccinating kids is stupid and that she wasn't going to vaccinate her kids.

RetroGiant

Oct 25, 2017
Are they seeing more BECAUSE of covid causing this need for hospitalization alone or a combination of general typical bad FLU/RSV etc and seem to have covid too because omicron is spreading so much? Regardless it sucks. School starts back in the 4th and my state/town thinks masks are a joke so I guarantee it's inevitable my 5 yo and my wife and I catch it. Literally NO ONE wears masks in my town. Wish there was an easy way to test antibodies. My son was sick at the end of Nov-mid December. He had strep diagnosed on Dec 4. Wife and I quickly caught his coughing/congestion/sore throat. Both tested negative for covid early so just chalked it up to bad annoying cold but damn if it didn't last upwards of 3 weeks. So who knows if we didn't all really have it.

Think I'll go tomorrow and get an antibody test done and then I'll probably know if we all had it. My wife and I are boosted and mask all the time but the exposure to my son and the 900 billion families/kids at his school wouldn't surprise me.

Can it differentiate between vaccine antibodies and actual covid antibodies?

ced

Oct 27, 2017
My shitrens are getting their 2nd next Tuesday, damn I hope we can make it to there and the 2 weeks after

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
My shitrens are getting their 2nd next Tuesday, damn I hope we can make it to there and the 2 weeks after
I believe I read that 5-12 still have a pretty solid immune response after the first dose when compared to adults. Obviously second is what you want but they'll still have some level of protection.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
need the vaccine for 2+ a long time ago. when is that happening šŸ§
Probably another 3-4 months it looks like. And that's only if the three dose trial works. The low dose they tried didn't work and that delayed everything.

As a parent it's fucking infuriating. 3-4 months means like literally every kid is just getting omicron. There's barely a point. I don't know how we keep ours away from it for that much longer.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
My daughter seems to be getting over COVID now. Tested positive 2 days ago and was under the weather for a couple days but she seems to be recovering fast.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
As a new dad with a 3 month old, family is pressuring us to get together and we're terrified.
As a new dad, put that 3 month old before everything minus your health. Make the right decision now because it will impact your decision making and how your family will approach you in the future. Saying no is hard, but once you start, it becomes easier. People will try to make you feel bad, but if they are not willing to take into account your son's health, then I think you should definitely reevaluate the situation.

OT: My eight year old is fully vaccinated and it still worries me. He continues to take his supplements to boost his immune system because we are extra cautious.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
And yet I'm seeing many of the new parents my age flipping out about vaccines and admonishing me for posting negative things about antivaxxers

šŸ§

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
Weird that this is the first time weve heard of this: with the UK and Denmark peaking in omicron cases, no such stories from there

Yeah the US in regard to the effects of covid on kids seems different. Here in the UK I don't think at any stage regardless of variant has there been a concern on children being hospitalised in large numbers.

Vaccines were not even avaliable for healthy young children for a long long time as the numbers just didn't suggest a concern.

Can even speak from experience with my own unvaccinated 12 year old son who got a month ago when he was 11. Had a slightly raised high temp for 1 day as well as headache but after that just a cough for about a week and then he was fine.

Basically it played out how the scientists said it does for the vast majority of young children here.