• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Offspring have unfortunately lost it completely after Ixnay on the Hombre imo. The new single is predictably awful. I'll wait for the new NoFX album instead (out in 2 days!).

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This single though.. ouch. In the words of Fantano, it's not good. Gonna have to listen to their 90s stuff now as a chaser.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
0b5e2ffcc0ae834bdaa359317f4bf0bc.jpg

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Single sucks, pretty much sounds like everything from Splinter on (fuck the haters, Americana and Conspiracy of One both still have a bunch of great songs even if it's when their shift happened). I hope I can see them live again one day though, I saw them on their Smash tour and they still kill it live.

Interesting if they're redoing Gone Away. One of my favorite songs and emotionally close to my heart.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The lyircs... are odd.

On one hand it sounds like a "We had an AI listen to 1000 hours of dad rock, and this is what it made"

On the other hand there are lyrics like "But that bitch won't get in my way, Keep shoutin' what I like – lock her up lock her up, Now that's a good one I gotta say" and "Mexicans and blacks and Jews, Got it all figured out for you, Gonna build a wall let you decide"

Like... what?

OP
OP
TheDestructiveSquirrel
Oct 25, 2017
The lyircs... are odd.

On one hand it sounds like a "We had an AI listen to 1000 hours of dad rock, and this is what it made"

On the other hand there are lyrics like "But that bitch won't get in my way, Keep shoutin' what I like – lock her up lock her up, Now that's a good one I gotta say" and "Mexicans and blacks and Jews, Got it all figured out for you, Gonna build a wall let you decide"

Like... what?

Yea, they are very anti-Trump but the lyrics are weird

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Not bad, not great. Kinda forgettable and generic, unlike their older stuff. Still, gosh it's nice to hear Dexter's voice again. It's like a warm hug from the past.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
I was never the biggest fan of the Offspring, though I do like their garagey take on pop punk. They're a more simplified take on my preferred genre of proto-metal/proto-punk in some ways. Though I've always felt their lyrics delved way too hard into middle-class white kid angst, I can give them a pass because I still like their sound.

"What Year is It?" seems to be a common refrain with new rock music releases, and I know why— the biggest rock releases in any given year are pretty much from bands that are anywhere from 20 to 60 years old with only a few newcomers. This as opposed to just about any and every epoch of rock going from 1955 to roughly 2012. Imagine if new albums from the Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and AC/DC were the most notable rock releases of 1994. And not because they were bringing it; only because they dropped new albums at all.

It's not that anyone's against the Offspring releasing new material as much as it is that's kind of the example of how we get our rock music fix (in the mainstream). The underground's not moving much and it's foolish to think it will anytime soon.

OP
OP
TheDestructiveSquirrel
Oct 25, 2017
I was never the biggest fan of the Offspring, though I do like their garagey take on pop punk. They're a more simplified take on my preferred genre of proto-metal/proto-punk in some ways. Though I've always felt their lyrics delved way too hard into middle-class white kid angst, I can give them a pass because I still like their sound.

"What Year is It?" seems to be a common refrain with new rock music releases, and I know why— the biggest rock releases in any given year are pretty much from bands that are anywhere from 20 to 60 years old with only a few newcomers. This as opposed to just about any and every epoch of rock going from 1955 to roughly 2012. Imagine if new albums from the Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and AC/DC were the most notable rock releases of 1994. And not because they were bringing it; only because they dropped new albums at all.

It's not that anyone's against the Offspring releasing new material as much as it is that's kind of the example of how we get our rock music fix (in the mainstream). The underground's not moving much and it's foolish to think it will anytime soon.

Yup

Barely hear about new rock these days

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Honestly, if you want anything that feels like that style of punk, look at the DIY scene or just new skate punk.

Masked Intruder, Bad Cop/Bad Cop, Screaming Females, Pkew Pkew Pkew, all super solid bands with releases in the last 2 years.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Not bad, not great. Kinda forgettable and generic, unlike their older stuff. Still, gosh it's nice to hear Dexter's voice again. It's like a warm hug from the past.
Yeah, since the mid 2000's and especially the post Days Gone By stuff has been straight up pop and AC/DC sendups. It's fun but it's not what I want to hear from them. Still, it's nice to hear from again.

Offspring have unfortunately lost it completely after Ixnay on the Hombre imo. The new single is predictably awful. I'll wait for the new NoFX album instead (out in 2 days!).
You just broke me.

See I initially wanted to call this "wildly off-base" since some of their best songs ended up being on Americana, Splinter, etc. but so were some of their worst songs.

Americana started the trend of them including a pop song and/or a gag song on each album. I'm all for experimentation for me, those tracks kind of dilute the experience by making me skip tracks to get to the good stuff (for example, I think Kristy Are You Doing OK is is ear poison). I don't skip anything on Ignition, Smash or Ixnay.

But still, they're good dudes and each album still has tracks that I end up loving. Their last full album had some of my favorite Offspring songs full stop. Slim Pickens is so good.

PS - props to NoFX. Love those guys.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Will always love them. Looking forward to this!

I really enjoyed this song from a few years ago that was parodying pop music:

OP
OP
TheDestructiveSquirrel
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, since the mid 2000's and especially the post Days Gone By stuff has been straight up pop and AC/DC sendups. It's fun but it's not what I want to hear from them. Still, it's nice to hear from again.

You just broke me.

See I initially wanted to call this "wildly off-base" since some of their best songs ended up being on Americana, Splinter, etc. but so were some of their worst songs.

Americana started the trend of them including a pop song and/or a gag song on each album. I'm all for experimentation for me, those tracks kind of dilute the experience by making me skip tracks to get to the good stuff (for example, I think Kristy Are You Doing OK is is ear poison). I don't skip anything on Ignition, Smash or Ixnay.

But still, they're good dudes and each album still has tracks that I end up loving. Their last full album had some of my favorite Offspring songs full stop. Slim Pickens is so good.

PS - props to NoFX. Love those guys.

Yea, especially if you are a Dr Strangelove fan

taco543

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Is it? How hot is it? I don't want to blow my ears out
depends on your spicy threshold honestly, but its like around tapatio levels of spice, pretty good flavor, every year he does a private reserve where he sells special bottles in caskets that are autographed and numbered, I have like 3 different years but im at work so cant give pics, but heres the sauces site:

https://gringobandito.com/

OP
OP
TheDestructiveSquirrel
Oct 25, 2017
depends on your spicy threshold honestly, but its like around tapatio levels of spice, pretty good flavor, every year he does a private reserve where he sells special bottles in caskets that are autographed and numbered, I have like 3 different years but im at work so cant give pics, but heres the sauces site:

https://gringobandito.com/

I see the tweets advertising it every year, I should check if they ship to Canada

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Ok just listened to it. It's nowhere near as bad as the weird one-off songs they released between 2014-2020. It's a fun pop song with slightly dumbed down lyrics, kind of lazily poking fun at republicans and fake news (great topic, weak execution).

Remember that Offspring always release a weird or satirical pop song as their first/second single and for better or worse, it never matches up with the rest of the album. They've been doing this since Americana and people worry needlessly every time.

I still remember being on music forums and seeing people get really pissed off and worried after "Hit That" came out.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
new song is awful, bleh

listened to NOFX's "Linewleum" for the first time earlier today, despite it being out for a while, thought it was pretty funny.

redoing Gone Away would be funny considering that awful Five Finger Death Punch cover still gets radio play.