• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly the image captures most of the update, but capping FPS is going to be VERY nice for a lot of peple
nvidia-geforce-ces-2020-game-ready-driver-feature-overview.png

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I remember having to use DXTORY to cap FPS in old games (and sometimes new ones) or else OBS craps its self. This will come in very handy.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Fucking finally. No more NV inspector. I don't fucking need 500FPS and my GPU to run at max speed for no fucking reason, just because it can.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
has anybody gotten VRSS working in the new drivers yet? it's not appearing in my control panel. very interested to see how this works.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
will capping fps gonna improve framepacing? Since RTSS does that

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From what i tried with Borderlands 3 and Monster Hunter World, RTSS still gives me better frametimes. Ill still wait for Battlenonsense on youtube for benches.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the dumber side when it comes to tweaking graphics settings so someone help me out.

If I game on a 1080p 60hz display (a TV even ) is there any benefit to locking my frame rate at 60?

If I lock a game at 30 will it have good framepacing?

Jan 21, 2019
I'm on the dumber side when it comes to tweaking graphics settings so someone help me out.

If I game on a 1080p 60hz display (a TV even ) is there any benefit to locking my frame rate at 60?

If I lock a game at 30 will it have good framepacing?
I use Riva Tuner to flatten the frame pacing.

I just tried the driver feature and it does the same, locking it to 60 in Alan Wake gave me a perfect 16.6ms just like RTSS. I will use the driver feature from now on since I expect it to introduce less lag (maybe, I am just thinking out load).

Oct 25, 2017
I use Riva Tuner to flatten the frame pacing.

I just tried the driver feature and it does the same, locking it to 60 in Alan Wake gave me a perfect 16.6ms just like RTSS. I will use the driver feature from now on since I expect it to introduce less lag (maybe, I am just thinking out load).
Neat. So on the rare occasion where I might try to lock at 30, I should also expect proper framepacing in that scenario?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, no more using a third party program just to cap FPS to stop tearing when frames get higher than my monitor's refresh rate.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will VRSS be exclusive to Turing? Guess I might not use it until I get an ampere card

Will stick to RTSS because overlay with stats is just as useful as the frame cap feature. Still it's about time they added this feature.

Anyone know what GPU Scaling does exactly? Wouldn't the GPU always be doing the scaling? Whats the difference between on and off?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. So on the rare occasion where I might try to lock at 30, I should also expect proper framepacing in that scenario?
Looks like no, 40 - 240 cap range. RTSS allow for 1- whatever you set the number as. I do 1 or 30 fps for games that don't stop or run at lower framerate when I alt tab and I know I'm going to be out of the game for a while.
oTMcV9b.png

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the nvidia framelock is better then RTSS, I can NEVER get that program to run correctly. Used to be flawless years ago but somewhere along the line it stopped detecting games and would do literally nothing most of the time. Also Microsoft games and Epic game store games arent detected by RTSS(for me at least) so having it at the driver level should hopefully fix all my issues. Now Nvidia needs to get that screentear removal feature that RTSS has(also a weird buggy feature) and I can finally PC game again.

That is, until battlenonsense makes a video and says Nividias is the worst option :(

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Ugh, the limitation to 40fps not great for those of us who want more 30fps cap options for non-free/gsync displays. Was hoping to see how it compared to half-rate refresh & RTSS in latency and frame pacing at 30fps.

Requisite "lol at that control panel" comment as always, goddamn update that shite

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the nvidia framelock is better then RTSS, I can NEVER get that program to run correctly. Used to be flawless years ago but somewhere along the line it stopped detecting games and would do literally nothing most of the time. Also Microsoft games and Epic game store games arent detected by RTSS(for me at least) so having it at the driver level should hopefully fix all my issues. Now Nvidia needs to get that screentear removal feature that RTSS has(also a weird buggy feature) and I can finally PC game again.

That is, until battlenonsense makes a video and says Nividias is the worst option :(
It detects for me in Epic and Windows Store games for me. There is a problem with steam overlay and RTSS though, plus multiple overlays running at the same time. For example RTSS and Uplay overlay when using Steam overlay doesn't seem to play nice and cause conflict. This was made clear when I needed Steam Overlay to get Steam Controller profiles working for games on Uplay, or EA Origin. I have to turn their overlays off, even then RTSS overlay won't usually work when I'm just using Steam Overlay in BPM on Uplay games sometimes.

Oct 25, 2017
No it only goes down to 40. For 30 use Riva Tuner, I just tried Sekiro and at 30 FPS the frame pacing is perfect, too.
Looks like no, 40 - 240 cap range. RTSS allow for 1- whatever you set the number as. I do 1 or 30 fps for games that don't stop or run at lower framerate when I alt tab and I know I'm going to be out of the game for a while.
oTMcV9b.png
Thanks for the replies. Too bad about 40fps being the lower limit. Guess I should check out RTSS.

Deleted member 44122

and amd removed that feature in their latest driver :P

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
oTMcV9b.png
lol, looks like I'll stick with RTSS. More versatile and way faster than opening up the Geforce control panel.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Very curious to know how well that works compared to other methods of capping frame rate. It can be really useful for games with no cap that go overboard in loading sequences which bogs things down, but if it smooths out frame pacing properly that could be very useful.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fucking hell, why can't I cap to 30?
I do that in a lot of console ports that were never meant to be played at 60 FPS :/

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Nah.

I haven't seen the results. But my first instinct is that all the aliasing outside the supersampling region will just be a distraction.
That's already a thing on Oculus with fixed foveated rendering though. This will be higher quality than that since this is scaling up the center rather than scaling down the edges.