• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
There is no bait. I just fail to understand how the original models are better than the current models.
Fine. In my original post I didn't say the original face for Kaine is objectively better, just my preference at the current moment. Your response was rather rude. I apologize for being snippy in response.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Fine. In my original post I didn't say the original face for Kaine is objectively better, just my preference at the current moment. Your response was rather rude. I apologize for being snippy in response.

Don't worry, I'm not here to antagonise and I'm sorry if my response came out like that. You're entitled to your opinion just like I'm entitled to mine.

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
omg Liam O'brien and Laura Bailey are back THANK GOD

I'm not sure about Kainé's design tho, she looks good but different... I guess this is not the time to be picky, I'm grateful for this remaster/remake :3

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Everyone arguing about things and I'm just glad there's a (at least new for me) Nier to play. I hope after this one we get a new game from Yoko Taro. He really deserves the success Automata brought to him and his games.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean, deservedly so. The game was poorly paced, unfun, and hideous.

Thankfully this version seems to fix the visuals and the combat.

Think the biggest issue last time was people couldn't follow an in-game map to hit the next quest marker. Outside of the main protag, redone localization, new music the visuals being updated and combat update the game looks really similar, so the "poor pacing" won't change.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Gameplay looks great and the new face models are a big improvement over the weird original ones. I'd like to hear more of the new OST before I judge it.

Still very excited to play this soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the outfit much (I think it's hideous I guess) but I agree with the other poster, just having a normal sexual design for the sake of it comes across as much less corny to me than some Words and Deeds reasoning for it.
Kaine's a great character and I loved the story of the original game but if I could change that outfit I would. 100% agreed. It's one of the weakest points of the game imo.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Curious what the outcome of Metacritic will be this time after the game press shat all over the original back in the day.
Justin McElroy doesn't review games anymore, so he can't write another review that ends with him ragequitting because he couldn't bother to read the fishing minigame controls.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I really don't see a difference in combat. I think maybe the launcher is new and deflect (maybe not?) but mechanically you're still fighting the same sorts of enemies just with slightly prettier animations

Saying all that Nier isn't a game about combat. IMO nothing needed 'fixing' there.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Justin McElroy doesn't review games anymore, so he can't write another review that ends with him ragequitting because he couldn't bother to read the fishing minigame controls.

Thank god.

The fishing minigame is one of my favorite parts of the game too lol

I really enjoyed it too. Was taken aback at the time how much controversy there was over the fishing minigame.

Interesting how the music more than made up for that (for a lot of people) but now that visuals and combat are fixed, the music is considerably weaker judging by the video.

Is there really no option to choose the original music?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Looks like they're not changing the formula that was so successful with Automata. I'm glad in this case because I should be able to jump right in.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Please let me turn off subtitles for the English speaking characters but still have subtitles come up for the made-up language characters. The original was all or nothing and I really hate playing games with subtitles on for the same language being spoken.

thomasos

Oct 27, 2017
The soundtrack for the original Nier is a flawless masterpiece, but that new Kainé theme is killer.

Oct 25, 2017
I still like everything about this, which is rare considering how much I tend to complain about remakes/robust remasters. I guess Square-Enix just nails it to my tastes, since I also have zero issues with how FFVII Remake looks.

Not sold on the new arrangements yet, though. They're not bad, but Nier's OST is legendary, so "they're good" is not quite enough to do it justice. An option to keep the original OST would be greatly appreciated.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
That Snow in Summer remix is really nuts. No scary chorus at the beginning, but the orchestra is full out during the rest of the piece. Much love

The new part close to the ending at 3:25 is insane, I love it. I hope we get to play the game with these new arrangements, will be a fresh experience, kind of a celebration of the original OST too. But I gotta say the veeery end of the original track when it's almost quiet is still a lot better, I love that.

Last edited:

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
This looks rad. Hope Taro blesses us with a Drakengard 3 remaster next, or a least a port that runs higher than 15fps.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, looks like they are doing the English dub from scratch too. New translation too because the dialog is different.

Edit: Bleh, cutscenes are prerendered at 30 FPS. Kaine's face and head are significantly different, she doesn't look like the same person.

Eek yeahhhh she looks a bit more...sex-doll-y? Not a fan, given she was already ...ya know....she's got quite the outfit.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So this thread led me to search Kainé in youtube and the first video was Kainé swearing.

Just have to say the Laura Bailey is the best.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
FWIW, looks like the Automata DLC with new costumes hit about 2 months later, so maybe this would follow a similar course if they gave alternative appearances for Kaine.

I posted pictures of the Recycled Vessel DLC from the original game, alternate costumes already exist, I seriously doubt they'd remove them or make people buy those again. They're probably included in the base game now as unlockables.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I totally forgot Laura Bailey voices Kaine lol. I remember how much she swears at the book, so funny.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Its perfect. Oh man, I'm really happy this game is actually coming out. Kaine is better than I remember too.