• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tek

Oct 25, 2017
Is it better to play Nier before Automata? Does it matter at all?
If you haven't played Automata, I would recommend playing this first. Automata takes place after Replicant and there are some call backs to Replicant in Automata that you'd miss out on if you played Automata first. Ultimately, Automata is still amazing regardless if you've played the original so don't let me sway you if you really want to experience it first. It's unknown what they may add to this remake so the best order is hard to make a call on until it's been released.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is it better to play Nier before Automata? Does it matter at all?
It doesn't matter to the core experience, but it does enhance it. Nier before Automata is the way to go, though with this remake things get more complicated because who knows what sort of new stuff they add to this.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's totally fine to take issue with this btw and I wouldn't have a problem if they redesigned her, but it's a little odd for one of the first posts in this thread to state something is wrong with Nier fans, which baits hostile responses or people to feel the need to justify it. Sure wish that kind of driveby posting was frowned upon...

I mean, when your choice of opening for your gameplay video is lingerie with slits on tits and bare ass, you're kind of exposing the fandom to that kind of comment by saying hey, look what our game is about !

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
If you haven't played Automata, I would recommend playing this first. Automata takes place after Replicant and there are some call backs to Replicant in Automata that you'd miss out on if you played Automata first. Ultimately, Automata is still amazing regardless if you've played the original so don't let me sway you if you really want to experience it first. It's unknown what they may add to this remake so the best order is hard to make a call on until it's been released.
It doesn't matter to the core experience, but it does enhance it. Nier before Automata is the way to go, though with this remake things get more complicated because who knows what sort of new stuff they add to this.
Thanks! I do have Automata but never played it, I originally wasn't planning to buy this game but after watching the first video...Day one now, just love what I saw. I'll definitely play Nier first now.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Words can't describe how happy I am that they got Weiss and Kaine' s actors back. I was really worried we'd have to deal with bad soundalikes

Useyourfist

Oct 13, 2019
I hope with Kainé that there isn't too much dialogue change, she was a brilliant character with the swearing being done in a way that just fit her character. Same for wiess!!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the uncomfortableness of nier/drakengard. Where open sexuality, bdsm, poly, and even possibly pedophilia (one of the characters in drakengard, although not sure if this was ever confirmed) are all just window dressing. Not saying its right or even justified but this has been part of its DNA all the way back to Drakengard. Honestly alot of it is subtext. Only Drakengard 3, Kaine, and 2B have explicit sexual undertones. These are not for everyone but at their core they have really great stories.
Drakengard was absolutely crazy in this regard. The core cast consists of:

Caim, a psychopath and the main character.
Seere, a child who is incapable of growing into adulthood.
Leonard, a blind pedophile priest.
Arioch, a barren elf that is also a serial killer that targets children.

Can you see where this party is kind of fucked up?

Lather on top of this the fact that Caim's sister Furiae has an incestuous infatuation with him that drives her suitor Inuart jealously mad, and you have easily one of the weirdest, most twisted collection of characters you'd probably find in any game released by a major publisher. So much so that the English localization actually censored some of the dialogue to tone things down.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the original version of that boss fight, if you want to do a comparison (Papa NieR version):

Original:

New:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Can Square Enix acquire ToyLogic so that they can be the dedicated Nier/Drakengard development team?

The new model for Kaine is going to take some getting used to. :\ (I prefer the look of her original face.) If they are going to take creative liberties with this remake, give her a better damn outfit at least.

You serious? that original facial model aged like expired milk. It's horrendous to look at compared to the updated facial model.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Woooooo man this looks fantastic. Can't wait to play this again. Not surprised to see the comments about Kaine. Would be cool if they include a pants costume option for those of you who haven't played this already and are turned off by Kaines outfit but I'm happy Yoko Taro is able to leave it has he designed it.

Is this a full price release? Looking forward to it either way.

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not a big fan of the new soundtrack arrangements. The original really was perfect and these arrangements sound boring, really. Like what was with that Gods Bound By Rules arrangement? It's really really bad.

for comparison:

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
New OST is really disappointing, which is a surprising feeling for Nier.

No way would I play through the game with it. There would have to be a toggle.

How could they mess up Gods Bound by Rules that badly? If they recognized why the song was good, then they can't think this is comparable.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Must say I'm relieved they got Bailey and O'Brien back. I don't mind a different voice direction to be honest since it's with a different lead essentially. The rearranged music though, some I like the sound of so far, others sound really muted and not as great as the originals. Is there an option to swap in and out between the arranged music and the old music?

Roxoriku

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of that stuff but I'm still wary. It tells us nothing about how substantial it will be and if it will be worth it for returning players.
Although since we're talking about it, I bet they will show us who 2B and 9S were based on similar to how A2 was based on Kaine.

Yes, and you are right to be wary. In regards to the spoiler, I agree.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
What got me excited about this today was the simple roaming around and interacting with NPCs or towns folk. I miss the whole square enix go back and forth between locations and towns and interact with NPCs.

I realize Nier isnt exactly the most populated world lol

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
New OST is really disappointing, which is a surprising feeling for Nier.

No way would I play through the game with it. There would have to be a toggle.

How could they mess up Gods Bound by Rules that badly? If they recognized why the song was good, then they can't think this is comparable.

Yeah I'm really surprised how much worse God Bound by Rules is here. Is it just muted or something? Can barely hear all the instruments. Seems to be badly mixed.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
You serious? that original facial model aged like expired milk. It's horrendous to look at compared to the updated facial model.
Yes. Say what you will but the faces in the original game had a certain unique style to them, plus Kaine's old face objectively reads better in motion since her eyes and lips have more contrast to them.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
As someone who's never played Nier, this was also my first reaction and left me puzzled. What the fuck is she even not wearing?

I'm not sure this video sold me on trying this since I didn't enjoy Automata enough to finish it either.

Edit: Literally the first time she walks up to the camera is a fucking white panties upskirt shot, jesus fucking christ what is wrong with some people.
This. After hearing so much about the game, this completely turns me off to even trying...

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Yes. Say what you will but the faces in the original game had a certain unique style to them, plus Kaine's old face objectively reads better in motion since her eyes and lips have more contrast to them.

Nah, it doesn't objectively read better in motion. You're just feeling nostalgic for the original game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna say it's better or worse yet, I'm just gonna say that NieR lucked out that its low budget, barely Gen 7 launch title graphics helped convey the idea that the world was rustic and dying in a way that higher quality character models might not be able to do on their own, and you'd have to tweak the world's aesthetic to get that feeling across in a different way.

Demon's Souls loaded itself with rubble and decay and that was bad because Boletaria was a shining advanced country before the start of the game. It just wasn't Demon's Souls.

Jul 24, 2018
He look so much better. I do hope they allow the player to switch between arranged and original OSTs though. I usually never have a problem with new music in remasters/remakes, but the option is always appreciated.
They've always done this with their Final Fantasy remasters so I'd be surprised if it wasn't an option here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if 8-4 just started from scratch with the RepliCant Japanese text.

Would be the way to do it IMO, even though it's more costly and takes more time.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
While I do agree that kaine outfit can be a bit too much since the time OG game came out, I want to know more about your statement.

Do you think it would be better for designer to not bother with their reasoning or justification when it comes to sexualisation in any form of entertainment media? Should there be no reasoning at all to why these characters dress the way they are other than to satisfy designer sexual fantasy?
The reason given was, from Taro's own mouth, he's a horny guy that likes women.

Which makes the "lore" reason some extremely obvious bullshit. Even if it wasn't bullshit, it's extremely lazy justification.

A person who designs characters couldn't think of anything except a butt-window for "feminine clothing"? Why do people keep giving these extremely creepy manmade anime-inspired horndog fests excuses?...