• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 24, 2018
I mean, if you make it possible to be so powerful, then they should balance the game around that.
I loved the game, but that was just my biggest nitpick about it.
Yeah I'm just not big on RPG mechanics in action games especially in Automata where I'd face off against an enemy where the numbers dictate the difficulty of a battle rather than how well I'm doing combos or dodging. I found so many side quests where I could't possibly be prepared for or beat them until much later in that game. If they make another Nier I hope they drop the whole level system.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The new soundtrack arrangements are too bombastic and I don't much care for the sound mixing/engineering.

Laura Bailey either can't replicate her voice for the original or the voice director wants her to sound older in relation to Nier being younger this time around.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new soundtrack arrangements are too bombastic and I don't much care for the sound mixing/engineering.

Laura Bailey either can't replicate her voice for the original or the voice director wants her to sound older in relation to Nier being younger this time around.

Yeah that's what I was thinking if the change was meant to be intentional.

Kaine was talking to a grown man and father, so she doesn't really have to mince words or worry about sounding polite. Bro Nier's some dopey, hapless kid, and Kaine being so rough around the edges with him creates a different impression.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
That sure is an interesting choice of apparel. Gonna assume that there is a sensible / plot related reason for this like with Quiet in MGS.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see they brought back original voices since the voicework of the original was amazing.

Hope the music changes are optional/the originals are still included.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah that's what I was thinking if the change was meant to be intentional.

Kaine was talking to a grown man and father, so she doesn't really have to mince words or worry about sounding polite. Bro Nier's some dopey, hapless kid, and Kaine being so rough around the edges with him creates a different impression.
Yeah, it has to be due to direction. Rewatching cutscenes from The Last of Us Part II, she could replicate her original performance.
That sure is an interesting choice of apparel. Gonna assume that there is a sensible / plot related reason for this like with Quiet in MGS.
There is a reason but it's bad and I don't think it's stated in the game directly, from what I recall. More or less she's been wearing the same dress for many years, due to sentimental reasons, since she was a kid. :\

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
RESPECT MY UNDER NIPPLE SLITS AND PANTIES PLEASE

rcD7aQc.png

I loved the first Nier, but they did had the chance to change her outfit, it has always looked stupid.
Looks like a whole new dress for each boob.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely excited to revisit this, as someone who preferred the original over Automata (overall... Automata plays a million times better, at least).

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Kind of, because
She is Intersex and prefers to wear clothes that emphasize her feminine characteristics.
Still it is a dumb reason to have her look that outrageous though. Kind of wish they fixed her outfit somewhat in this.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I am 100% gonna buy this BUT:
Not feeling the changes in the OST at all. Would it kill them to include a switch between old and new OST??
Also why is running so fast lmao. I want to ROLL EVERYWHERE goddammit.
Also also, I hope the voices don't change much. The voice acting was already perfect in the original and I will miss Papa Nier enough already.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like NieR.

I agree that Weiss sounds muffled and Kaine sounds deeper. It doesn't bother me too much (and NieR sounds fine), but it'll be something to get used to. At least we know Julie Ann can still do a perfect Emil.

The music is divine. I like that we get new arrangements (and it sounds like more live instrumentation). The original reused music a lot.

Kaine's outfit is still wretched.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The reason Kaine dresses the way she does is because she is intersex and was bullied about it when she was a child, so she dresses in a way that is very outward about her feminine appearance in hopes that others acknowledge her the way she wants to be acknowledged. Not saying it is a good choice in terms of writing or anything, but that's the reason.

This isn't really a spoiler, either. The team was open about this even before the original came out.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The reason Kaine dresses the way she does is because she is intersex and was bullied about it when she was a child, so she dresses in a way that is very outward about her feminine appearance in hopes that others acknowledge her the way she wants to be acknowledged. Not saying it is a good choice in terms of writing or anything, but that's the reason.

This isn't really a spoiler, either. The team was open about this even before the original came out.

Which shows how much of warped vision of "feminine dressing" the writers have.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much that as it is "Look, I have breasts! Look at them and notice that I am a woman!" or something.

Not like it's hard to notice that without making her look like a lingerie model at all times, lol.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
That barely looks like a remake and more like a halfway point between a remaster and remake. There are improvements but the textures and modelling is still extremely rough.

At least it will look clean on PC.

I don't think this was ever sold as a remake? Didn't Taro say it isnt one and more like a "version up"?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's cool that new people get to experience this masterpiece of a game without sub-par combat. However so far it looks like there isn't much here for returning fans since it still very much looks like the same game. I hope the new content will be worth it otherwise I may not bother until it's cheap enough.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The most beautiful theme for a videogame character became even better:

i disagree.... honestly it's fine for a remix album, it's far from bad, even nice arranges, but i don't think it fits the game... i already was unconvinced by the blubird arrange of the previous trailer... but damn snow in summer completely miss the tone of where it plays for exemple.... Kainé is better but it's still inferior to the original imo

Really hope the original soundtrack is available ingame!

Of course, this is subjective, but i'm not a fan in this case

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I think you misunderstand, that's not their idea of "feminine dressing" as every other female character in the game dresses normally, this is specific to Kaine and her own struggle as intersex and forcing the world to see her as female in a flamboyant and outspoken manner.

It's totally fine to take issue with this btw and I wouldn't have a problem if they redesigned her, but it's a little odd for one of the first posts in this thread to state something is wrong with Nier fans, which baits hostile responses or people to feel the need to justify it. Sure wish that kind of driveby posting was frowned upon...

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
That barely looks like a remake and more like a halfway point between a remaster and remake. There are improvements but the textures and modelling is still extremely rough.

At least it will look clean on PC.
They have literally described the game as something that's not quite a remake or a remaster, more a "version up" so you definitely just hit the nail on the head right there.

Personally though, I think it looks great

Roxoriku

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that new people get to experience this masterpiece of a game without sub-par combat. However so far it looks like there isn't much here for returning fans since it still very much looks like the same game. I hope the new content will be worth it otherwise I may not bother until it's cheap enough.

Going to add a spoiler because idk if some people don't want to know, but the fandom wiki has a list of changes/hints of changes:

Revisions and additions have been vaguely teased by Saito ("There's so many things."), yet these are the ones with specific information.

• Fully voiced dialogue. Rerecording previous dialogue allowed voice actors to have more nuance in their deliveries.
  • Grimoire Weiss is recast to Hiroki Yasumoto (Pod 042).
  • Voiced roles for Yui Ishikawa (2B) and Natsuki Hanae (9S) have been hinted to appear in this game.
  • Complete rearranged soundtrack by Keiichi Okabe. New songs will be included. Returning songs have compositions that differ from previous arrangements found in albums and concert performances. Emil's Song will have a revised chorus section.
  • Areas already familiar to players have greater sense of scope and exploration.
  • Weapon stories have been expanded.
  • New scenarios are added. In Yoko's words, "It's like adding toppings to the world's best ramen."
Source: NieR Fandom Wiki

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
i disagree.... honestly it's fine for a remix album, it's far from bad, even nice arranges, but i don't think it fits the game... i already was unconvinced by the blubird arrange of the previous trailer... but damn snow in summer completely miss the tone of where it plays for exemple.... Kainé is better but it's still inferior to the original imo

Really hope the original soundtrack is available ingame!

Of course, this is subjective, but i'm not a fan in this case

Those aren't the new in-game versions. That's from a new rearrange album.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
It doesn't really matter what in-game justification you use. There's no version of reality where a woman wearing a negligee into battle against hostile entities makes sense. It's even more idiotic than boob armor, which is in itself, a travesty. I don't even now what else to say. The video starts by giving us a clear view of her panties and buttocks. WTH

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Nice improvements and it looks cool but I think I'll stick with my xbox copy. Only got about halfway through it. Believe I'll restart then play through automata as I gave that a rental then purchased on steam later.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
After becoming a big fan of Automata I am very excited to finally play this game. I hope the pc version is good.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Welp watching this through, I really hate the changes to the OST, specially during the boss fight :/ It sounds nothing like the original and has a completely different feel, it's like they Automata-ized it for the sake of it.
Where is the banter during the fight, too?

crimsonred

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter what in-game justification you use. There's no version of reality where a woman wearing a negligee into battle against hostile entities makes sense. It's even more idiotic than boob armor, which is in itself, a travesty. I don't even now what else to say. The video starts by giving us a clear view of her panties and buttocks. WTH

Welcome to the uncomfortableness of nier/drakengard. Where open sexuality, bdsm, poly, and even possibly pedophilia (one of the characters in drakengard, although not sure if this was ever confirmed) are all just window dressing. Not saying its right or even justified but this has been part of its DNA all the way back to Drakengard. Honestly alot of it is subtext. Only Drakengard 3, Kaine, and 2B have explicit sexual undertones. These are not for everyone but at their core they have really great stories.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Going to add a spoiler because idk if some people don't want to know, but the fandom wiki has a list of changes/hints of changes:

Revisions and additions have been vaguely teased by Saito ("There's so many things."), yet these are the ones with specific information.

• Fully voiced dialogue. Rerecording previous dialogue allowed voice actors to have more nuance in their deliveries.
  • Grimoire Weiss is recast to Hiroki Yasumoto (Pod 042).
  • Voiced roles for Yui Ishikawa (2B) and Natsuki Hanae (9S) have been hinted to appear in this game.
  • Complete rearranged soundtrack by Keiichi Okabe. New songs will be included. Returning songs have compositions that differ from previous arrangements found in albums and concert performances. Emil's Song will have a revised chorus section.
  • Areas already familiar to players have greater sense of scope and exploration.
  • Weapon stories have been expanded.
  • New scenarios are added. In Yoko's words, "It's like adding toppings to the world's best ramen."
Source: NieR Fandom Wiki
I'm aware of that stuff but I'm still wary. It tells us nothing about how substantial it will be and if it will be worth it for returning players.
Although since we're talking about it, I bet they will show us who 2B and 9S were based on similar to how A2 was based on Kaine.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I don't know what to feel about this new arranged ost. I'll have to listen to it more but for now I would prefer to have a option to toggle to the original.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Took long enough for a trailer to drop where the voice acting could be heard. Super glad Laura Bailey and Liam O'Brien returned. Still wish we had the option for Papa Nier, as he really rounded out this cast of oddballs by being a very non-typical protagonist for a Japanese action game. Though at least Brother Nier will lend to a new experience playing through the game again.