• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
(Doing a semi-lazy copy and paste between both current threads, ha.)

Laura Bailey and Liam O'Brien are back, baby, day made! Thank you, Square and whoever is in charge of localizing the game: I presume 8-4? I was seriously holding my breath before Weiss and Kaine started speaking.

Brother!Nier will definitely take some getting used to, lol, but I'm looking forward to seeing how his character arc pays off later in the game, which wasn't as noticeable with Papa!Nier.

I will say I prefer Kaine's old character model, she looked much more mature there. It looks like they've used Yoshida's concept art as a base for the updated model. I suppose she looks closer to Nier's age, now, though. (And yes, awful character design, amazing character.)

I'll have to check out the new musical arrangements properly later, was in a bit of a YAY BAILEY & O'BRIEN buzz watching the clip.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Also I haven't played the original but if the game doesn't open with WEISS YOU DUMBASS we will riot.

Absolutely this. Also Kaine's...enhancements aren certainly something. I actually didn't mind her outfit, and the story reason sealed it for me even if it did look goofy as hell. But this just makes it feel likes it's even more for fanservice than it ever was before.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear Liam O'Brien as Weiss again. I remember some people on Era freaking out that they might replace him and every time I said I'm looking forward to the remaster, someone told me "but without O'Brien voicing Weiss it will suck" like they had some proof SE would replace him. Glad to have confirmation he's still voicing Weiss. Same with Laura Bailey as Kainé. Both still sound fantastic.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Liam O'Brien is still at the top of his game. Are they redoing the entire dub? He's literally the sole reason I'd be incline to do a replay. Such a great performance.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Do my ears detect the dulcet tones of Liam O'Brien as Grimoire Weiss?

Okay this OST remix is driving me crazy. It's not bad, if this was in OG NieR I'd still like it, but NieR has my single favourite soundtrack in all of gaming history. There was no way to change it for the better.

Nier's run speed seems to have gone from "quick enough" to "haul ass." This is super nitpicky but I felt like that made a lot of sense for 2B because she was explicitly an inhuman android, but Regular Dude Person Nier seems kind of weird, even if this is a gameplay concession in tons of titles that I only noticed because of how it's changed.

Anyway I'm still blown away that they went so far as to have Weiss appear floating next to Nier all the time instead of just when using spells, because back in the day that bugged the shit out of me and it's a change that feels specifically done at my request.

I'm kinda going into this anticipating that this is a retelling or something and the protagonist got some android modifications as some typical Yoko Taro fourth wall goofiness. We already know there's some added content so everything up to and including "this is also technically a sequel actually" is fine with me.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people feel the need to say this every time this topic is brought up. It's not a particularly good thing.
it's better to be honest about being horny if you're gonna throw it into your games.
But there is a reason why Kainé is dressed that way, and it's a little better than "words and deeds".

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Will wait to find out if there is any new story content for the game before buying. Looks good though.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see that they've updated the look of the protagonist. Nice. His hair is much better lol.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
should have just had Jamieson Price voice boy Nier would have been hilarious

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people feel the need to say this every time this topic is brought up. It's not a particularly good thing.

I mean, the original post tying it to Kojima was insinuating Taro and his fans tried to claim some moral higher ground over people who rightfully criticize the designs. I can think her design is dumb and oversexualized while also acknowledging that at the very least, Taro doesn't have his head so far up his own ass that he tries to gaslight critics with claims about words and deeds.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Impressions:

- Cutscenes running at 30, gameplay at 60fps is irritating
- Ingame subtitles are smaller than cutscene subtitles. Why? Text should be bigger in general
- Voices sound too muffled while music is too loud (bad audio mixing?)
- Ugh, load times
- Can't wait to play, although I will probably wait for the first price drop, which I expect shouldn't take too long

Yeah :/

SapphiCine
The first nier doesnt use pre-rendered cutscenes.

Its ingame. Probably had to keep it 30 because they animated them that way and they said they wouldnt touch camera work outside of models.

May 19, 2020
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissive commentary around objectification over multiple posts, cross-thread drama, long history of hostility.
You're right. Definitely not as weird as objectifying and sexualising women in every single game he has made!
there's that 500 page thread where you're more likely to find someone who will give you the +1 you want i think

JoJokomoko

May 31, 2019
Thailand
Say what you will about the character designs, but at least Yoko Taro never pretended it secretly had some deep meaning. Dude's just horny and says as much every time someone asks him about it.
It's there's actually a legit reason why she dress like this? In a design work book it explained that
Kainé is intersex, and because she's insecure and wants people to acknowledge her as a woman, she chose to wear extremely feminine clothing so there could be no doubt as to her gender. Given her bitter, in-your-face personality her choosing something so ridiculous and over-the-top as negligee makes sense.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahaha, oh woooow I forgot about Kaine's outfit despite the fact it was DLC for Automata. It'll be the equivalent of the "why can I see 2B's ass" discussion whenever this game gets brought up. I want to say it does get explained & is a more legit reason over something like Quiet's "it's how she breathes!" but I'm just going by what the Nier wiki says without reading too much to spoil it.

Either way, 2 more months, cannot wait. Played it on PS3 a while ago but stopped at the village where you learn to fish. Not sure why I stopped, probably got distracted by other things. & yes, I did learn that I needed to go to a different spot to fish & not directly in the water in front of where you get the rod. Man, that still annoys me they designed it like that.

Also hell yes at getting the original VA cast back.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right. Definitely not as weird as objectifying and sexualising women in every single game he has made!
He didn't objective or sexualize any women in drakengard, but I guess that's too old a game at this point.

there's that 500 page thread where you're more likely to find someone who will give you the +1 you want i think
.... what the fuck my dude. Dont trivialize that thread.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
It's there's actually a legit reason why she dress like this? In a design work book it explained that
Kainé is intersex, and because she's insecure and wants people to acknowledge her as a woman, she chose to wear extremely feminine clothing so there could be no doubt as to her gender. Given her bitter, in-your-face personality her choosing something so ridiculous and over-the-top as negligee makes sense.

Yeah no. There isn't a legit excuse for a horny director to put his female characters in skimpy outfits all the time. The in-universe justification for it doesn't excuse the executive decisions outside the game that okayed the design.

Edit: I wanna make it clear I do not condone this shit.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they let us switch between the original ost and the remastered one.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The new model for Kaine is going to take some getting used to. :\ (I prefer the look of her original face.) If they are going to take creative liberties with this remake, give her a better damn outfit at least.
F1VtTpp.png
EpUzLCi.png

rCZo2tf.png
FyGk1Ot.png

dm6GuVa.png
PLynQph.png

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Hahahaha, oh woooow I forgot about Kaine's outfit despite the fact it was DLC for Automata. It'll be the equivalent of the "why can I see 2B's ass" discussion whenever this game gets brought up. I want to say it does get explained & is a more legit reason over something like Quiet's "it's how she breathes!" but I'm just going by what the Nier wiki says without reading too much to spoil it.
there is an in-universe reason why she dresses that way, but... it's still mostly half-hearted justification for the outfit as the explanation was only just subtext in the original game

which is fine, it gets to be an empowerment move for the character and there's some lady badasses outside of her that don't dress that way but it's really just after the fact to cover up yoko taro wanting to put the lady in skimpy clothes

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The original Nier had DLC costumes and unlike Automata it didnt use pre rendered cutscenes.

So you will most likely get dlc costumes for Kaine that are not shameful.

May 19, 2020
Yeah no. There isn't a legit excuse for a horny director to put his female characters in skimpy outfits all the time. The in-universe justification for it doesn't excuse the executive decisions outside the game that okayed the design.
he's just a horny guy. design people can dress it up or make up lore how they want but that's what it's about lol.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Laura Bailey and Liam O'Brien is all I needed. Brother Nier is definitely Zack Aguilar ( Tanjiro from Demon Slayer and Male Traveler from Genshin Impact) who was actually someone I thought would be a pretty good pick. Neat to see.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I think the 60fps is throwing me off. It's like Demon's Souls, you get used to looking at a sluggish ass game for however many years then all of a sudden here we are, a brand spanking new version that's unbelievably smooth. What a trip!

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The new model for Kaine is going to take some getting used to. :\ (I prefer the look of her original face.) If they are going to take creative liberties with this remake, give her a better damn outfit at least.

Freeze framing mid animation is probably gonna look janky as they copy pasted the mocap of the old model.

But her default state looked pretty I think.

Same with kid Nier.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Say what you will about the character designs, but at least Yoko Taro never pretended it secretly had some deep meaning. Dude's just horny and says as much every time someone asks him about it.

This is absolutely 100% not true. There is absolutely a reason in game why Kaine wears the outfit she does and it ties in with her character in a pretty great way. It's pretty much the complete opposite of 2B in Nier Automata. Grimoire Weiss actively calls out Kainé's outfit, too.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Laura Bailey and Liam O'Brien is all I needed. Brother Nier is definitely Zack Aguilar ( Tanjiro from Demon Slayer and Male Traveler from Genshin Impact) who was actually someone I thought would be a pretty good pick. Neat to see.
Sounds more like Justin Briner to me. Wonder if we'll have a voice confirmation at all from SE/or the actor.

May 19, 2020
It really does seem to bother you that people care, though. Discussion around sexualisation can and should be discussed anywhere and everywhere.
the contest of who is more bothered on the internet will never be answered since it's layered in a lot of the usual discourse bullshit. nobody is actually tempering your discussion so uh yeah discuss away if that makes you feel good. she will still be wearing that stupid nightie though lol.

JoJokomoko

May 31, 2019
Thailand

Edit: I wanna make it clear I do not condone this shit.
I know, I'm just poting out the information that I found years ago regarding the design choice.

Agreed, her new face is super weird to me especially the last screenshot.