• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
🤔

XxZm4ee.png

Also incoming thread derail about lack of papa

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do my ears detect the dulcet tones of Liam O'Brien as Grimoire Weiss?

Okay this OST remix is driving me crazy. It's not bad, if this was in OG NieR I'd still like it, but NieR has my single favourite soundtrack in all of gaming history. There was no way to change it for the better.

Nier's run speed seems to have gone from "quick enough" to "haul ass." This is super nitpicky but I felt like that made a lot of sense for 2B because she was explicitly an inhuman android, but Regular Dude Person Nier seems kind of weird, even if this is a gameplay concession in tons of titles that I only noticed because of how it's changed.

Anyway I'm still blown away that they went so far as to have Weiss appear floating next to Nier all the time instead of just when using spells, because back in the day that bugged the shit out of me and it's a change that feels specifically done at my request.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yessss they kept Grimoire Weiss and Kaine's voices.

The remaster is already in great shape.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's never played Nier, this was also my first reaction and left me puzzled. What the fuck is she even not wearing?

I'm not sure this video sold me on trying this since I didn't enjoy Automata enough to finish it either.

Edit: Literally the first time she walks up to the camera is a fucking white panties upskirt shot, jesus fucking christ what is wrong with some people.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Looks good but you can see that this is no Platinum gameplay. Really a step down in terms of animation and fluidity of combat.

May 19, 2020
i mean that's liam o' brien for sure, i'll need confirmation from someone with magic ears if that's still laura bailey

Looks good but you can see that this is no Platinum gameplay.

well yeah duh, nier 1 never had platinum-type gameplay. they have already said they will be not totally forsaking the nier 1 gameplay but finetuning it. not every game needs to do the platinum magic dodge thing

May 19, 2020
if yall whine about no platinum gameplay in the nier remaster i'm sorry but you will need to leave. those are the rules. us nier chads have no time for you

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
God that looks so so good. That said, Temple of Drifting Sands sounds great but Gods bound by Rules seems to have lost its personality imo. That fast drum beats was part of the song's identity and it just feels a bit too....hollywoodish.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That Snow in Summer remix is really nuts. No scary chorus at the beginning, but the orchestra is full out during the rest of the piece. Much love

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I totally forgot about people's first reaction to Kaine. It's Yoko Taro so there is much more to her but yea her outfit and almost silly objectification is not a good look and harms the story and her character.

I guess from now on when this game is out it makes more sense to recommend playing this Nier first and then Automata.

Last edited:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Impressions:

- Cutscenes running at 30, gameplay at 60fps is irritating
- Ingame subtitles are smaller than cutscene subtitles. Why? Text should be bigger in general
- Voices sound too muffled while music is too loud (bad audio mixing?)
- Ugh, load times
- Hopefully this is fully compatible with PS5 with no issues
- Can't wait to play, although I will probably wait for the first price drop, which I expect should take 2 months at max

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Only experienced the fantastic OST for this game, hopefully the combat here is just as enjoyable as automata's.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if yall whine about no platinum gameplay in the nier remaster i'm sorry but you will need to leave. those are the rules. us nier chads have no time for you

NieR Automata: "Nooo you can't just have a combat system without a dodge counter mechanic!"

NieR: "Haha, Phoenix Spear go brrr"

Sounds like her to me.

I'm kind of torn. It sounds like Kaine but there's this different, more serious tone to the same dialogue that was delivered in this really rowdy and cantankerous manner.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Impressions:

- Cutscenes running at 30, gameplay at 60fps is irritating
- Ingame subtitles are smaller than cutscene subtitles. Why? Text should be bigger in general
- Voices sound too muffled while music is too loud (bad audio mixing?)
- Ugh, load times
- Hopefully this is fully compatible with PS5 with no issues
- Can't wait to play, although I will probably wait for the first price drop, which I expect shouldn't take too long
All games released past June last year are required to be compatible with PS5.

In fact, there are less than 10 games with issues in BC mode.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Beautiful. Has anyone heard if NieR Replicant ver. sqrt(1.5) will support HDR?

It sounds like Laura Bailey. I sure hope it is. Kaine brought so much to my enjoyment of Nier.

May 19, 2020
i will miss the gruff papa nier voice but it will be an interesting dynamic to hear the dumb dumb brother boy in english lol

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looks good but you can see that this is no Platinum gameplay. Really a step down in terms of animation and fluidity of combat.

I mean, it's still largely based on the old system. They didn't ADD anything, they just smoothed it out and added maybe a just-defend mechanic it seems (been a couple years since i replayed nier). Magic can be used while moving now too.

People are oddly expecting a new game and not a gameplay refinement of the old game.

May 19, 2020
if you automata only people fuck up the discourse about the nier remaster you don't get to go to nier concerts anymore, i'll write a letter to okabe to make sure you don't get in

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Oh shit, looks like they are doing the English dub from scratch too. New translation too because the dialog is different.

Edit: Bleh, cutscenes are prerendered at 30 FPS. Kaine's face and head are significantly different, she doesn't look like the same person.

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that voice for young nier, it's whomever voices Deku in my hero academy 's dub and the announcer from DragonBall Fighterz.... or Cloud from the final fantasy abridged from team 4 star. His name is Justin Briner (probably misspelt last name)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Looks fucking incredible.

And people argued it was just the ps3 version touched up lmao.

Cant wait.

Also the VAs are back right ?

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
That barely looks like a remake and more like a halfway point between a remaster and remake. There are improvements but the textures and modelling is still extremely rough.

At least it will look clean on PC.