• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Eugp1JgWYAIEv0z

Eugp3BrWQAAbQHm

Whoops my OP posted too fast, but they are much paler than they were in the original game

Original NieR artwork for comparison:
EuhISh-VkAItVn7

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
why would they tweet that out specifically? it's like they're waiting to be cancelled

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
It's Akihiko Yoshida's artworks for these games, it doesn't have to mean anything in regards to the actual game.
OiBQysi.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting to see any part of this remaster that actually improves the original game instead of making it worse.

OP
OP
Surakian

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's Akihiko Yoshida's artworks for these games, it doesn't have to mean anything in regards to the actual game.
OiBQysi.jpg

But the king and Fyra were definitely brown in the original game. It's not hard to want the artwork being used to promote the game to match up with the characters models. This also makes me and others nervous for how they will look in the remaster.

Kimihiko Fujisaka is the one who drew the new art.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I swear if I see some "Well, it's Japan" bullshit in this thread...

You can keep dismissing these issues like that and nothing will change even 10-20 years later. No, you're not an expert in Japanese culture, you're simply part of the problem.

OP
OP
Surakian

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Still I don't see the problem, I like the contrast between the characters. She Is different and should be different for story purpose

There was still a difference between their skin tones. That doesn't mean that they need to suddenly make her pale white. It doesn't matter that she isn't from that region. She still was tan in the original game.

W4cko

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
User banned (permanent): Colorism, account in junior phase
There was still a difference between their skin tones. That doesn't mean that they need to suddenly make her pale white. It doesn't matter that she isn't from that region. She still was tan in the original game.
I see the beauty in this change, the more different she is from the sangpeople, the more respected I feel about the way the sandpeople and Prince treat her, and she has other body problems too but I'll be quit for spoiler, loved the original

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
How this kind of stuff does not get noted before publishing, or the many other reasons why it might be noted but not acted on, clearly show the expectations at play and/or complete lack of attention and dismissal of what skin tone can mean. It's incompetence at best.

OP
OP
Surakian

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see the beauty in this change, the more different she is from the sangpeople, the more respected I feel about the way the sandpeople and Prince treat her, and she has other body problems too but I'll be quit for spoiler, loved the original

I'm trying very hard to not just be very reactionary and upset because I can see you are looking at this from a sort of artistic view point where the contrast of cultures and union of two groups of people can be wonderful, and I agree that it is beautiful to see that.

The thing is, it was beautiful even in the original game, even when Fyra had tan skin. They don't have to make her look drastically different with a whole new skin tone for their story to become more meaningful or beautiful. The story already is meaningful.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait to see the in-game models. Everything in the new concept art looks washed out compared to the originals, so it could be wonky contrast to bring out otherwise hidden details. I guess I wouldn't be surprised either way though.

OP
OP
Surakian

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait to see the in-game models. Everything in the new concept art looks washed out compared to the originals, so it could be wonky contrast to bring out otherwise hidden details. I guess I wouldn't be surprised either way though.

If a professional artist can't figure out how to show details on a character with darker skin without heavily lightening their skin to do that, then there is a big problem there.

And if DK could do it years ago, what is stopping Fujisaka?

JoJokomoko

May 31, 2019
Thailand
Damn, this somehow remind me of how Caska skin in Berserk got whiter and whiter in manga and anime adaptation.

This seems to be a normal occurrence in Japanese media and I don't fucking know why.

W4cko

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I'm trying very hard to not just be very reactionary and upset because I can see you are looking at this from a sort of artistic view point where the contrast of cultures and union of two groups of people can be wonderful, and I agree that it is beautiful to see that.

The thing is, it was beautiful even in the original game, even when Fyra had tan skin. They don't have to make her look drastically different with a whole new skin tone for their story to become more meaningful or beautiful. The story already is meaningful.
Agree to disagree then, like I said I agree that multiple Japanese studios can't write coloured or female characters. But it's a Yoko taro game with great characters who are not the norm ( damn spoilers) I give the game the benifit of the doubt

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Really hoping for the best and the in-game models will retain their original skin tone but I have very low expectations from Japanese companies in general in regards to caring about diversity..

I guess on PC you'll be able to fix that with mods but that really should'nt be necessary..

Also I'm sure the people defending Kaine awful design because it was in the original won't bat an eye at this instead...

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You could make the argument that they are in fact completely separate characters sharing the same name but.. ehh...

I mean, this is kind of the issue, it's not really known if this was the intent of the devs to make this the same character. Not that i am excusing the whitewashing

Jul 24, 2018
Hmm, thought Yoshida took over the character designing for the remaster? This doesn't look like his style. Either that is a really jarring change in the artwork.

OP
OP
Surakian

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Agree to disagree then, like I said I agree that multiple Japanese studios can't write coloured or female characters. But it's a Yoko taro game with great characters who are not the norm ( damn spoilers) I give the game the benifit of the doubt

That's why I am holding NieR and its art to a higher standard because it is filled with fantastic characters. By making Fyra and pale, yet again BIPOC are losing out on representation in a game that once had representation.