• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe I'm not being fair about the designs, but they felt boring while I was playing.

I don't know -- maybe anything that's not just walk to town -> fight trainers and catch pokémon along the way > fight gym leader after making it through gimmick puzzle that has you fight more trainers. Some sort of side quest system? Some form of exploration/discovery related to pokemon? The wild area just felt boring, as well. It's just more pokemon and trainers..but in a boring, empty open space.

Speed up the combat and make the animations more dynamic and interesting while they're at it. It just feels like after 20 years, Pokemon is still a slog.

It was a fun slog when it was novel two decades ago, just not anymore.
You can't speed up the combat and make the animations more dynamic...look at PBR. Its animations were nice and dynamic but they took a day to complete each animation (note: hyperbole was used)

They also changed up the gym thing last generation and people moaned

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
If you've never played the original N64 game, then some things might not become apparent to you until you actually play it yourself.

Pokemon Snap pretty much hinges on interaction and trying to get the "Perfect shot", because unlike other photography (mini) games out there that simply care about getting the subject more or less within the frame (i.e. Beyond Good & Evil's photography), each shot you take is graded in Pokemon Snap based on what's happening, how well the subjects are framed, and other marks of aesthetically pleasing photographs such as composition. You need to take these into account while coaxing your subject (the Pokemon themselves) into doing something that would be pictureworthy, usually either by tossing them fruit, "Pester Balls", or making them interact with other Pokemon that would start a chain reaction of interactions that you can also take shots from. Also, you have a limited number of shots.
Well said! One thing I really liked about the info released today in the PR is the indication that only fruit are in this time and no pester balls (if I interpreted that correctly). I was hoping that would be the case. I haven't played the original in years but I dislike what I remember of that aspect. Definitely prefer the interactions with the Pokemon be only kind.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm skeptical out of fear that this won't have much content, but I really like what I'm seeing here

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Well said! One thing I really liked about the info released today in the PR is the indication that only fruit are in this time and no pester balls (if I interpreted that correctly). I was hoping that would be the case. I haven't played the original in years but I dislike what I remember of that aspect. Definitely prefer the interactions with the Pokemon be only kind.
Completely disagree. Pester Balls add more options, so I'd be disappointed if they're gone.

Also, it's fun throwing them at Pokémon. 👀

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everyone saying that it looks rough and that it looks great. Lol

With the way Pokémon has been handled, both statements are true. It is lacking in certain areas, but it looks better than the main games and you can't expect a lot from spin offs so it's also great that it looks how it does. And it's great to see the variety of Pokémon. Overall I'm happy with it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't speed up the combat and make the animations more dynamic...look at PBR. Its animations were nice and dynamic but they took a day to complete each animation (note: hyperbole was used)

The combat loop of Pokémon stands there > Goes and does an attack > Goes back to standing there just feels straight out of 1999, because it is. I'd honestly prefer a mix of real-time and turn-based combat, akin to what FFVIIR did.

But yah, I dunno. It may just be that what I want out of Pokemon, and what fans want, are two vastly different things. I still think all the after-battle crap also takes a mind-numbingly long time, enough to turn me off from wanting to catch pokemon or fight trainers.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Man. I... dont know. It looks okay. Not realy ambitious, i was hoping for a bit more.
200 mons are less then i expected, i was more in the 300 range.
With how short the first game was, im not shure if this will be 60€ material. Will have to wait for reviews. The soroundings look okay. I would compare them to BotW. (mind you, that was aon open world, this is an on rail shooter...)
The models are obviously the ones that are already made for the main series, so they are higher quality compared to the sorounding, they kinda stand out.

if it would be a 40-50€ game, day one, but as it stands, ill wait for reviews and/or sale.

You can. I have played enough JRPGs with snappier combat than pokemon. You could have effekt text run parallel instead of with seperate text windows. You could have faster/shorter animations. Golden Sun on the GBA was way faster then current mon. Thee dynamics of the animations has nothing to do with their length, you can hace short and dynamic animations. Is it easy? no. Is pokemon one of the biggest franchises on this planet? yes.

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
They're still doing this "New X" title format?
Apart from that, looks cute, might try it out. Never really played snap.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
And Sword & Shield outside the Wild Area is a pretty & stylised game.

I will fight anyone on this, outside the Wild Areas SWSH is a gorgeous game

I actually agree with you, I don't think New Snap looks that much better than SwSh (except from the Wild Area) and SwSh looks more cohesive and stylized.

I'm not particularly bothered by either game's graphics, I just hope Snap is fun to play, which SwSh wasnt.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
neat little cinematic before meganium appeared! gives me the impression that maybe there are specific/special occurrences? maybe end stage "boss" sections? it's been a hot minute since i last played the original... did normal stages have boss encounters?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in day one, a sequel to Snap has been loooooooong overdue and some crummy textures aside I find it visually to be fairly pleasing due to the lighting, enviroments and animation. Considering this is obviously a relatively small and low budget project it's fine, and hopefully the game does well enough that Snap doesn't disappear for another 20 years.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
To use a word that's come into favor on this forum lately, it looks very ... cozy. Which is nice. Never played the N64 game. But my kids are gonna love this, and it looks fun to me, too.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Then again Pokémon Snap on N64 was also on rails and there were a bunch of games on that system that looked better. Of course back then the only you could compare it in the series were the Game Boy games.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Platinum is actually also my favorite, I think it hit peak Pokemon gameplay for its time, and had fantastic charm. I've failed to really feel any improvements in the series since.

One of the biggest complaints is their change to map design following Platinum. Black 2/White 2 helped make Unova's pathing a bit more interesting, but it doesn't have the same feeling of exploration Sinnoh has. Honestly, I think SWSH and the Isle of Armor specifically actually nailed that feeling of discovery for the first time since Platinum. It's very contained and there are no random trainer battles, but the linking caves and environments along with slight mountains that the caves lead you up instead of the flatness you find in the wild area really showcases a sense of discovery I've been missing from the series.

I do think Alola was actually fantastic in it's environments, but it's very much like Snap in that it is heavily on rails which allows it to seem larger at the cost of a more connected world. It's tied with Gen 5 for the most story heavy games, but I think the narrative in base Sun/Moon is probably more successful. (Ultra Sun/Moon are much better playing games, despite both positively and negatively changing the story. I don't think there's a definitive game with Gen 7, which is a bit frustrating.)

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Every rock looks like it hasn't loaded in.

Like... Frankly I'm confused by how some people aren't seeing it. The ground and everything around the actual Pokemon is crazy muddy and low res.

EDIT: Sample snaps:

y10Lc2A.png

WoxoP2E.png

EsuBtUd.png

0DvTPPQ.png
i didn't notice those at all because frankly who gives a shit

snap is about the pokemon themselves, not if some stupid rock can't be seen perfectly in 1080p

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking it would be nice if this brings different mechanics to the table, like having night day cycles or other stuff that will change what happens in the levels. The original Snap was fine because it was a 64 game, bit it would be a little underwhelming if New Snap has the levels play the same every single time.

Also I wonder how they will depict legendaries, now that there are like 100 of them.

Jul 14, 2020
And Sword & Shield outside the Wild Area is a pretty & stylised game.

I will fight anyone on this, outside the Wild Areas SWSH is a gorgeous game

Hey. I often play the role of your ally on this forum, and I enjoyed my 150 hours invested into Sw/Sh. My best friend put in over 350.

There are a lot of things to like about the game, but the visuals are awful. I think it's one of the worst looking games on the Switch. The textures are shit in every area, town, route, etc.... The art styling is good but nothing about the gfx is acceptable. It looks a generation behind Odyssey and BotW.

I think they just cranked up the resolution of the 3DS Sun/Moon engine. The Pokémon models are okey but the animations are such a let down too. GF appears to reuse the same engine for 2 mainline games - and you can have a same hardware visual bump like we had between X/Y and S/M. That gives me hope for the 2022-2023 mainline game.

The most generous review I can give the Sh/Sw graphics is "unfinished."

I know lots of people that enjoyed Sw/Sw but you're the first to say the game looks good. I didn't think such a thing was possible.

Last edited:

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I really like what I'm seeing, it'll be a great game to tie me over waiting for whatever their next main project is.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I was 10x more excited about this before this trailer. And only ~200 Pokemon? Chances are only a handful of ones I care about will make it in.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Hey. I often play the role of your ally on this forum, and I enjoyed my 150 hours invested into Sw/Sh. My best friend put in over 350.

There are a lot of things to like about the game, but the visuals are awful. I think it's one of the worst looking games on the Switch. The textures are shit in every area, town, route, etc.... The art styling is good but nothing about the gfx is acceptable. It looks a generation behind Odyssey and BotW.

I think they just cranked up the resolution of the 3DS Sun/Moon engine. The Pokémon models are okey but the animations are such a let down too.

The most generous review I can give the graphics is "unfinished."

I know lots of people that enjoyed Sw/Sw but you're the first to thing the game looks good. I didn't think such a thing was possible.
Towns look great in SWSH I completely disagree with you. Upgrades from Sun and Moon in terms of material shaders, lighting, poly count, shadows are obvious.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I actually agree with you, I don't think New Snap looks that much better than SwSh (except from the Wild Area) and SwSh looks more cohesive and stylized.

I'm not particularly bothered by either game's graphics, I just hope Snap is fun to play, which SwSh wasnt.
Snap has more realistic lighting

SWSH has more cartoonish lighting

I think they just cranked up the resolution of the 3DS Sun/Moon engine. The Pokémon models are okey but the animations are such a let down too.

The most generous review I can give the graphics is "unfinished."

I know lots of people that enjoyed Sw/Sw but you're the first to thing the game looks good. I didn't think such a thing was possible.
It's outside of the Wild Area etc. that I don't think the textures are bad, especially in places like Ballonlea. It's a looker, it's not perfect but I love the asethetic...same in battle (minus the rubbish move animations of Double Kick, but for every Double Kick there's a Steam Eruption, Pyro Ball, Snipe Shot and so forth)

But to each their own

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Trailer looks alright.

But that box art is God tier amazing stuff. I'll get the physical version just because of that.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
neat little cinematic before meganium appeared! gives me the impression that maybe there are specific/special occurrences? maybe end stage "boss" sections? it's been a hot minute since i last played the original... did normal stages have boss encounters?

Only thing you could call a boss in the game would be Mew, but the regular stages had the legendary birds that required some amount of work before they could be shot, and even then it was pretty hard to get a decent shot.

I hope the new games iterates on that, but in a way that feels natural instead of having an actual boss thing.

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Will buy because it's Pokemon Snap, but some real rough textures in there. More disappointing because it's a game about taking pictures.

Jul 14, 2020
Snap has more realistic lighting

SWSH has more cartoonish lighting

It's outside of the Wild Area etc. that I don't think the textures are bad, especially in places like Ballonlea. It's a looker, it's not perfect but I love the asethetic...same in battle (minus the rubbish move animations of Double Kick, but for every Double Kick there's a Steam Eruption, Pyro Ball, Snipe Shot and so forth)

But to each their own

Animation aside, I think the visuals during a battle is the biggest disappointment. They carry over the same low res textures of trees and grass and backgrounds as on the routes.

I love the actual Pokémon and the art direction. It's just feels like a high res, low quality version of a 3DS game.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
Only thing you could call a boss in the game would be Mew, but the regular stages had the legendary birds that required some amount of work before they could be shot, and even then it was pretty hard to get a decent shot.

I hope the new games iterates on that, but in a way that feels natural instead of having an actual boss thing.

i agree. i think it would be best if they continue on a more natural/environmental focus to big name mons. anything that takes away from one cohesive journey would be bunk. no little cinematics, please (even if they are nice)!

Oct 27, 2017

If that's the best cherrypicking example it still looks unfavorable for SwSh

With how fixed the camera was in most of the base game and how static areas were, I wonder why they didn't just make towns pre-rendered. It would probably have reduced the massive pop in and they could've spruced them up visually even more (since visuals were all they had going for them)

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the Pokemon do some weird and unexpected stuff. The beetle fight between Pinsir and Heracross looked fun.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
If that's the best cherrypicking example it still looks unfavorable for SwSh

With how fixed the camera was in most of the base game and how static areas were, I wonder why they didn't just make towns pre-rendered. It would probably have reduced the massive pop in and they could've spruced them up visually even more (since visuals were all they had going for them)
It's one example. And I didn't even use something from the fixed camera areas which look better, but that Snap shot looks pretty awful so it's not even necessary

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how the Pokémon franchise, given its *ahem* divisive track record when it comes to graphics, hasn't swapped to Cel shaded yet. Mistakes like the ones people are pointing are more easily hidden and it fits the characters like a glove. This looks okay-ish and I'm sure some of the glaring textures won't be much of a nuisance while in play, but an overhaul on the franchise aesthetics is due.

I still have flashback of that heinous origami-esque Pokémon game for the ds.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Heh, I read the title as the trailer was getting released April 30. This is looking great.

Please let me take a picture of a Mawile.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
You, a fool: "The graphics in this game look pretty rough."
Me, a genius: "The game looks great but it is the trailer that is sloppy."'

Okay seriously I'm going to play this game of course, but I did a double take when I saw the English and Japanese text mooshing into each other.

unknown.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so ready for this. Pokémon Snap and a Switch is just a perfect combo. Presumably it'll have some kind of gyro control in handheld mode?

April can't come soon enough!

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how glossy the Pokémon look. The cell shading needs work.

still very excited. Day 1 purchase.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
disappointing number of pokemon

I think it's alright. They need to give each Pokemon space to be in the world in a meaningful way and be fun to discover/hunt down. They can't just whack every Pokémon in. It'd be too much.

Remember that Pokémon Snap N64 only had like 60 Pokémon in it. This is three times that!

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I wonder if they kept the points-based system for the pictures you take. If it's just taking pictures for the sake of taking picture, I fear it won't be good.