• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I really, really hope that the game still has some depth to it. Pokemon Snap wasn't hard but you had to setup some pics just right. I hope that's still there with 200+ Pokes in the game. Also I hope the final level is good because the level with Mew is kind of boring.
I think it will have some depth. Speedrunners will most likely appreciate this game, as I'm sure there will be a category of motion gesture runs of some sort.

MarkRJR

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to play this. I hope this game is as good as the original Pokémon Snap. I still play the original every couple of years or so.

GreenKing1979

Aug 1, 2020
The only thing is... If they had Mario, Monster Hunter and New Pokemon Snap info, why didn't they just put it in a Direct? Nintendo's strategy in Covid feels VERY weird, and I prefered the Direct info dropouts. And yes, they have more info on other titles for sure, such as a new Kirby, a new Fire Emblem, a new Mario Party, info on the Zelda anniversary... I just don't get it.
Nate commented on the lack of general directs was due to country wide lockdowns and work from home orders, it's as simple as that.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I loved pokemon snap 64, but if its anything like its predecessor I can't justify paying full price for a 3-4 hours experience

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
If I already didn't know that the original was awesome that trailer would have done nothing for me.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Nate commented on the lack of general directs was due to country wide lockdowns and work from home orders, it's as simple as that.
I'd also imagine, but that might just be my thinking, that they're afraid of delays and such. It's much easier to determine dates and marketing for one product as opposed to making a 20-30 minute show where things are likely to change before even airing the Direct, let alone after.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Game looks really pretty in the initial cinematic with the main character, but then they showed the environments and... man, it looks roooooough.

In a game like this, I would hope that'd be a priority?? The Pokemon models don't mesh well with it (kiiind of like Sword and Shield, sigh).

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see that game isn't restricted by what pokemon were in Sword and Shield. I think this is the most focus Meganium has been given since Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man I really hope this delivers, looks awesome. And I loooove the boxart, Pichu is so cute~

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Because they don't need Directs. Their randomly dropped Tweets/Posts/Videos get shared/liked like crazy nevertheless. The videos are getting viewed millions of times. To them it doesn't matter if you watch a trailer at a scheduled Direct or just watch it after coming home from work on a random thursday.
Directs take time to be produced and involve lots of work. Also you always set people up for disappointment. People always go into Directs with crazy expectations.
Don't get me wrong, I love Directs just like anybody else. But from a buisiness perspective, randomly dropping iinfolike that just makes more sense.
Except they can temper expectations by saying what the Direct will contain, just like they did last year with the first Partner Direct. I believe announcing a Direct is the best marketing, as people know when to expect news. With the random Twitter info dropouts, somebody can miss the information.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
It looks nice, but I am getting particular pandering to BlueRed/GoldSilver fans and I am going to wait for reviews if there's enough in there to ask 60 quid for it. But damn does this look way prettier than mainline games.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This just makes me yearn for the open world Skyrim-like Pokemon game that people dreamt up a decade ago. Still can't believe Pokemon hasn't done that yet.

This kind of game design was impressive in the N64 era but it feels pretty flat now imo. Wish there was more to this.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No pre-ordering here in case something goes wrong but, man, if it still looks and play like we want, I buy and download day 0.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing is... If they had Mario, Monster Hunter and New Pokemon Snap info, why didn't they just put it in a Direct? Nintendo's strategy in Covid feels VERY weird, and I prefered the Direct info dropouts. And yes, they have more info on other titles for sure, such as a new Kirby, a new Fire Emblem, a new Mario Party, info on the Zelda anniversary... I just don't get it.

I'm pretty sure the idea is they want to focus on the immediate future, not future titles. A Direct works better to hype a future line up, but they don't want to do that right now. Considering how their software and hardware sales so far have worked with this format, there's no reason to change it. They probably only will do general presentations again if there is a big sales drop, to launch new hardware or if something like classic E3 returns/emerges (the entire industry giving presentations with future line ups, so Nintendo attempting to stay out and doing nothing would be odd for their image).

Oct 27, 2017
Eh part of the reason I loved the first was the puzzle aspect and getting a better score to unlock the next zone. Also the mysteriousness of the first with Pokémon being fairly new made it special. I don't know half of these Pokémon

I'd take a 1 remaster tho

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cute! Gonna wait on some reviews to see how much content is included for a full price game though

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shoutout to Meganium love in 2021, who had THAT on their Pokemon bingo card for the year? :P

This looks great, loving how the Pokken team seemingly improved on their artstyle for this game. 200+ mons sounds great, almost 4x the original Snap I think.

Now I'm curious how much there is to this game. I'll be there day one regardless.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Man, this bolds well for the switch lineup this year. I was thinking if they would release this in July. If they have it for April, they feel confident they will have many games for the whole year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So explain how you think it should be fine since you think the transition would be so easy while retaining what people enjoyed about the game
the word "easy" never appeared in my posts, so don't think I'm saying it's trivial. but a nature photography game sounds more like a stealth game when you think about it. you're baiting pokemon to be a position, sneaking up on them to put yourself in a better position. pokemon can be alert and investigative, so you can draw pokemon towards each other for encounters that you can photograph, much like the original game. but by not being on rails, the puzzle takes more dimensions than just time. there are just more range of scripting opportunities and more angles you can take photographs from.

but I digress, this ain't that game, so there's no point in arguing the could'ves and should'ves

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I can't believe how much better this looks than Sword and Shield visually.
I can

It's on rails and a cultivated experience with limited interactivity and no open areas. This means they can fine tune things and don't need to worry about lots of moddels popping in at random etc.

It's a similar thing to when you compare say Uncharted with one of the open world games out at the same time. The finetuned limited experience will always look better over the big open one with thousands of different models and dozens of locales including open ones

Hell it's why when you look at the non-Wild Areas of SWSH they look infinitely better than the open areas

Oct 28, 2017
They should reopen Blockbuster so I can print stickers
Thank you for saying this, that was half the magic of the first game and is all I can think about now that we're finally getting a sequel. I think it might be really easy (if costly) to do make a similar product at home these days since they just added the ability to plug your Switch directly into the PC and nab all your photos and video clips. I'd love it if there were a lower cost high quality option provided by Nintendo themselves, like a mail service or something?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Coming back to this thread after reflecting on another positive despite my negative visual impression: I am really pleased with the variety of Pokémon chosen and the interactions they've created with them. Even in just the trailer you can see a really diverse range of monsters and that is the most exciting prospect to me.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
+1 for the visuals being a little underwhelming camp.

It's still a new Pokemon Snap though and I've waited way too long to get picky. Excited for the release.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Let's hope they add more puzzle elements in this game. I adore the original, but it's so... lacking in depth, or something. I need more than just taking a picture of 200 different Pokémon. I've compared Pokémon Snap to Hitman's Sniper Challenge missions before, and I hope they incorporate some things that game has. Like optional challenges, or different methods to, in this case, take a picture of your target. Please add stuff like 'take a picture of every hidden Ditto in level A', 'lure out 10 Diglett in level B and take their picture' etc. Challenges like that would add so much replay value to a game that you otherwise will power through in an hour or two.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eh part of the reason I loved the first was the puzzle aspect and getting a better score to unlock the next zone. Also the mysteriousness of the first with Pokémon being fairly new made it special. I don't know half of these Pokémon

I'd take a 1 remaster tho

So you say you like the first since you didn't know much about the pokemon at the time, and now a new one is coming with half the pokemon being ones you aren't familiar with, ones you don't know much about, and you would just rather have a remake of the game you already know all the puzzle solutions as well as the pokemon in it.

...I don't get it.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo looking forward to this. I hope the game is meaty enough and is a success. The more Nintendo spinoffs we can get, the better.