• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I 100% believe that so long as some theaters are meaningfully open, this will arrive. It's convenient for Disney in a number of ways: fulfills an obligation to the director with having it theatrically released, while providing convenient cover for a poor box office and helping the public ignore a non-Disney take on X-Men, while they figure out their future plans. Then, watch it pop up on VOD soon after.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So what is the issue with this getting delayed so much? Do we have any insight into that? Is it a reshoots thing or was the timing of the Fox/Disney deal maybe? Seems weird

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Studios expect that theaters are open by July, even if at limited capacity.
They're probably not wrong, in a lot of places (not the US) cinemas are going to be opening again starting next month.

They are going to be showing films in a very limited capacity though, over here it's only 1 person per 1.5 meters and 30 people max (depending on the size of the room obviously).

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So what is the issue with this getting delayed so much? Do we have any insight into that? Is it a reshoots thing or was the timing of the Fox/Disney deal maybe? Seems weird
Extensive reshoots (reasons unknown, some claim it was to make it more horror, some to make it less)
Reshoots took a long time because of the amount of reshoots and the availability of the actors (Maisie busy with Game of Thrones, that dude busy with Stranger Things, Anya Taylor-Joy being busy playing in actually good things)
Disney took over, presumably delaying the release even more as it had to fit into their schedule as well
COVID happened

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Extensive reshoots (reasons unknown, some claim it was to make it more horror, some to make it less)
Reshoots took a long time because of the amount of reshoots and the availability of the actors (Maisie busy with Game of Thrones, that dude busy with Stranger Things, Anya Taylor-Joy being busy playing in actually good things)
Disney took over, presumably delaying the release even more as it had to fit into their schedule as well
COVID happened

The reshoots never happened

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol is it though?

I mean, is it REALLY?

Clearly the universe doesn't want this movie to exist.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Just release it digitally already jeez. It's like they all know it'll bomb but refuse to be the one to take the L.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cursed movie stays cursed.

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

At this rate they could force the movie to download on everyone's computers and the files would find some way to corrupt themselves before the download completed. Movie's fucking cursed lmao.
OS publishers would issue a day 0 patch to delete it forever lol

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The world ended just so they'd have an excuse to dump this shit on VOD! Why are they doing this!!!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe for a second that this thing will ever be in theaters. It's going to Disney+

Oct 25, 2017
damn I guess the pre-order on Prime thing was just a mistake
I'm going to see this movie when it comes out in 2030

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The actors are probably in same situation as us, just waiting for this trainwreck to come out and clean their hands off it.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Not exactly. The movie was definitely affected by the studio merger. There have been multiple reports of test screenings getting a good reaction since way back in 2017.
And how many films have gotten positive responses from test screenings that turned out to be bad? Quite a few I can think of off the top of my head. I like your optimism though! And maybe it does speak to the quality of the film if they are still planning for a theatrical release. Not too much longer to wait though, right?

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A large meteor will crash into Earth sometime late August, because that film is nothing but a sad curse of never happening.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
And how many films have gotten positive responses from test screenings that turned out to be bad? Quite a few I can think of off the top of my head. I like your optimism though! And maybe it does speak to the quality of the film if they are still planning for a theatrical release. Not too much longer to wait though, right?
I think they are forced to release it theatrical due to contracts with Fox.
I don't think it will be a great movie but I do believe it will turn out to be decent and at least a bit different than the usual comic book movies.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
This movie's release situation is so weird. I made a tattoo of the Demon Bear and Dani in early 2018, and me and the tattoo artist were joking around how I had it just in time for the movie's release, after many delays. Two years later... still not released, lol.

I'm gonna need a documentary about this trainwreck, Crazy Marlon Brando's Island of Dr. Moreau style.