• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wacouis.gif

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
"Officially", it's a split timeline. The X1 through X6 - Zero - ZX - Legends timeline branch does more to pretend that the post X6 games aren't a thing. Meanwhile, X7 and X8 keep the X series moving on a separate path that would be harder to reconcile with Zero and later (and only more so, if CM is at all a factor to consider).

Bottomline is, I'd fully expect for a renewal of the X series to keep things moving in a way that wouldn't box them in with expectations of leading up to the Elf Wars and the like. Claiming an alternate timeline would just give them an easy out and let them build up a story as they wish.
I don't think that is the official word at all. Last I checked, an artbook stated that the orbital elevator in Neo Arcadia from Zero 1 is the same one from Mega Man X Command Mission. Zero still makes a reference to his X6 ending in X8 as well. I think the X6 ending and the Zero games are still in the same timeline as the last few X games, it is just that the timing of Zero's X6 ending has been pushed back to account for more games.

If there is official word otherwise, I would be curious to see the source. I like to stay on top of Mega Man lore stuff.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Can click on them a view image to see them larger. Though I do have them in twice that resolution, just scaled them down for posting purposes haha
(just in regards to the "scans" that is)

I wanted the Rider or the last image as a wallpaper but enlarging it gives me 600x400 or so.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Megaman really coming back, huh? If we do get an X9 then I seriously hope Battle Network/Starforce gets some kind of reboot
Starforce is probably dead and burried with it not being all that popular (at least, that's the feeling I got). I still think BN will at least get a Switch collection next year if nothing else, I think demand is there, I know the end of 6 ties things up plot wise for the series, but I'm sure Capcom would figure out a way to do another sequel if they really wanted to (not like they didn't do the same with X after X5). I'd welcome its return, bar BN4 I really liked the series.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always hoping Zero will have his original X look back with the blank red chest piece and white rounded shoulders again. Probably won't happen though.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I don't think that is the official word at all. Last I checked, an artbook stated that the orbital elevator in Neo Arcadia from Zero 1 is the same one from Mega Man X Command Mission. Zero still makes a reference to his X6 ending in X8 as well. I think the X6 ending and the Zero games are still in the same timeline as the last few X games, it is just that the timing of Zero's X6 ending has been pushed back to account for more games.

If there is official word otherwise, I would be curious to see the source. I like to stay on top of Mega Man lore stuff.
I say "officially", because it's things that are cobbled together from official sources, even if it's not outright stating one thing or the other.

For example, CM was later stated to be, itself, an alternate continuity, by virtue of it being an "alternate take on 22XX" (the approximate era of the Zero games. X's very design in that game was meant to be a homage to that.

The following is stuff that I remember Zan posted up awhile back...

From the Mega Man Official Complete Works:

*X image with his scarf taking up half the picture, you know the one*
MARKETING ILLUSTRATION
"When I heard the timeframe was set in the year 22XX, I realized it was the same as the Zero series. That's why I added a few touches to give it a bit of a Zero flavor. Initially, I had some reservations about X's design changes, but I think it suits him quite well." (Higurashi)

And from Mega Man 25...

Higurashi: "Command Mission" is technically a spin-off, so even though it takes place in 22XX, it's not necessarily the same "22XX" during which the "Zero" series takes place. Still, we didn't want to cut it off completely just because it's a spin-off. Our goal was to incorporate some of the "Zero" series' flavor in order to make it feel like "Command Mission" is still connected to the other games, like it is part of the same family. So it might be easier if you regard "Command Mission" not as "a story that takes place between X7 and the Zero series", but rather as "one of many potential futures that exists independently from the Zero series".

So, that's already one thing.

Then there was the infamous Mega Man Zero timeline that was posted up around the time of the MMZ collection's release on the DS.

I won't copy and paste the entire thing, but Protodude's got you covered: http://www.rockman-corner.com/2010/04/mega-man-x7-x8-and-command-mission.html?m=1

But to put it bluntly, even when they had another chance to account for X7-X8 at the very least, their timeline skips over them entirely and continues to act as if they didn't factor in. (And if you're an Axl fan, the disrespect only gets worse when it turns out that Model A from ZXA has nothing to do with him besides citing his whole shtick.)

It could be a syndrome of the fact that Inafune wasn't involved with the X series after X5, or what-have-you, but it always seemed like it was X7, X8 and (somewhat) CM that were always more a part of their own bubble, rather than being a part of the series timeline at large.

...Of course, things can always change now that old Inafking isn't a part of the mix, any longer. But at this point, I'd honestly rather they continued doing their own thing, since at least that way, they could stand to keep things interesting, since we don't know exactly what's going to happen next.

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
So much going on. For some reason Zero doesn't bother me but X is really over designed. Also: I really hate Axl. Please delete him, Capcpom.

Jota typeZERO

Nov 3, 2017
Spain
I think it makes sense, his design is new and revealed for the first time, makes sense to have him at the front I think.
Yeah, that sounds logical indeed. Seen this way, it looks quite consistent with the key artwork that was presented for X7 (aka the Japanese cover). In any case, Mizuno's designs are too great for the MM team to discard them, considering that his rendition of Zero was available officially in a Capcom game. I have high hopes for this to end well.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they do a Ver. Ke figure for Zero. The X one is out of this world and superbly done. Same Truforce hopped out the game

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Am I a bad person for wanting a more mmx maverick hunters look then hirez sprites?

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say "officially", because it's things that are cobbled together from official sources, even if it's not outright stating one thing or the other.

For example, CM was later stated to be, itself, an alternate continuity, by virtue of it being an "alternate take on 22XX" (the approximate era of the Zero games. X's very design in that game was meant to be a homage to that.

The following is stuff that I remember Zan posted up awhile back...

From the Mega Man Official Complete Works:

*X image with his scarf taking up half the picture, you know the one*
MARKETING ILLUSTRATION
"When I heard the timeframe was set in the year 22XX, I realized it was the same as the Zero series. That's why I added a few touches to give it a bit of a Zero flavor. Initially, I had some reservations about X's design changes, but I think it suits him quite well." (Higurashi)

And from Mega Man 25...

Higurashi: "Command Mission" is technically a spin-off, so even though it takes place in 22XX, it's not necessarily the same "22XX" during which the "Zero" series takes place. Still, we didn't want to cut it off completely just because it's a spin-off. Our goal was to incorporate some of the "Zero" series' flavor in order to make it feel like "Command Mission" is still connected to the other games, like it is part of the same family. So it might be easier if you regard "Command Mission" not as "a story that takes place between X7 and the Zero series", but rather as "one of many potential futures that exists independently from the Zero series".

So, that's already one thing.

Then there was the infamous Mega Man Zero timeline that was posted up around the time of the MMZ collection's release on the DS.

I won't copy and paste the entire thing, but Protodude's got you covered: http://www.rockman-corner.com/2010/04/mega-man-x7-x8-and-command-mission.html?m=1

But to put it bluntly, even when they had another chance to account for X7-X8 at the very least, their timeline skips over them entirely and continues to act as if they didn't factor in. (And if you're an Axl fan, the disrespect only gets worse when it turns out that Model A from ZXA has nothing to do with him besides citing his whole shtick.)

It could be a syndrome of the fact that Inafune wasn't involved with the X series after X5, or what-have-you, but it always seemed like it was X7, X8 and (somewhat) CM that were always more a part of their own bubble, rather than being a part of the series timeline at large.

...Of course, things can always change now that old Inafking isn't a part of the mix, any longer. But at this point, I'd honestly rather they continued doing their own thing, since at least that way, they could stand to keep things interesting, since we don't know exactly what's going to happen next.

Ohhhh, thanks for this. I did not know X7 to CM is alternate timeline

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Never had any problems with Axl myself.

Always thought he had an interesting playstyle. Could be better executed for sure.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Axl is not that freaking bad.

They got him a decent voice actor and play style in X8.

X hasn't been the star of this series since X3 y'all should be used to this by now.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people saying the design became too busy. Its literally Megaman X with some new lines works in armor. Just like what X supposed to be in comparison to classic.