• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Demogorgon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit. How random to reboot this movie.
the-last-starfighter.gif

Ghg1x7C.gif

I wouldn't say its random considering we are living in the 80s:part 2 right now. Just look at some of the move hat have been coming out the past few years Star Wars,blade runner, mad max, Tron etc.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Big fan of the original film, Gary Whitta's involvement gives me hope.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Right in the nostalgia feels

Except the game in a reboot would be played on an iPad or something I'm sure.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
So if it's a reboot, how is the game going to be? Changed from a classic arcade styled game to something like Halo or something?

I really want to see how they update it to a modern setting. I tihnk the original, being made and set in the 80s, was able to get away with the whole "How does the world not know about bizarre activity around a small town (almost like a pit stop) out in the middle of nowhere in California?" Well, back then, being less connected, it's easier to swallow shit happening in isolated communities. That, and like the Polybius myth, back then, you could probably wrap you brain around that sorta thing as being possible. An alien federation sending an arcade cabinet to the middle of nowhere to test gamers if they are potential candidates to become a Starfighter pilot... sure, nobody would know about that. If it popped up somewhere like the Glendale Galleria, I'm sure more people would be aware, but a small, out of the way community, at a time before everybody was online blabbing about everything happening everywhere? Sure!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first one a lot when it came out but I have no faith in anyone trying to do a sequel or a reboot.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
So after decades of refusal, the original creator was finally convinced to approve a sequel/reboot... by Gary fucking Whitta?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The stealth Armada movie if they can't actually get Starfighter off the ground.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Are they really going to have Lance Guest in this one?

It sounds like it feel mostly like a reboot with some references to the first film and maybe some cameos.

That movie is a total product of its time. Arcades don't really exist so a real product placement opportunity for Microsoft , Sony or Nintendo here lol.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This awoke a deeply embedded memory of how the Death Blossom inspired me to believe that a good playground fighting move was to punch in all directions as fast as you could. I mean, I already believed that, but this movie strengthened my commitment to aggressive uncoordinated flailing.

I'm not proud of this but when I was a kid and I got into a fight at school I hit the other kid in the stomach with like a point blank hadouken move. It just succeeded in pushing the kid away and I got made fun of mercilessly for it. Luckily I changed schools the next year.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not proud of this but when I was a kid and I got into a fight at school I hit the other kid in the stomach with like a point blank hadouken move. It just succeeded in pushing the kid away and I got made fun of mercilessly for it. Luckily I changed schools the next year.
At least it wasn't a Blanka move. Did you say hadouken?