• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
BrokenFiction

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/04/last-starfighter-reboot-rogue-one/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Remaking The Last Starfighter has been a difficult prospect in the past because Beutel owns a significant portion of the film rights and hasn't been interested in a remake, but together he and Whitta "have a fully developed story that is a combination of reboot and sequel that we both think honors the legacy of the original film while passing the torch to a new generation,"

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
AAYk6zB.gif

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this can beat Ernest Cline's Armada to production, because they'll pretty much have to cancel that piece of shit if the OG is in theaters first.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be about a mobile or VR game this time I would guess. VR might make too many people think it's a ripoff of RPO though.

Oct 25, 2017
The original is my favorite movie. This has been in development hell for almost 10 years.

I'd love to see a sequel, though.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
There's a fan write-up of a teaser trailer for this in the comment section of that io9 piece. It's legitimately good, particularly if you listen to the theme while reading:

crosis101

My brother and I wrote this over the weekend:

The next installment of teaser trailers of sequels we would like to see (with some help from CROSIS101):

EXT: A sunny day late afternoon. The camera pans over a trailer park. It rests on a diner at the outskirts of the trailer park. There are people there, dressed in black. There is an African American woman and her daughter saying good bye to people and thanking them for coming and paying their respects. A few say things like "he was a wonderful man" and "your grandfather gave us hope." As the last people leave, the daughter, in her mid teens, sits at a table. Her mother comes over to her.

"Mom, do you believe the story grandpa used to tell, about that night?

"I wasn't here when it happened. Not many left who were. But people around here seem to believe it."

"Do you believe it?"

The mom is picking up some dishes and making a stack. "I believe a bright young man with a bright future died in a car wreck after drinking on a beach and people made up a better story."

"Why do you think so many people believed it?"

"Because, around here, people need hope. They want to believe if you're good enough, smart enough, you get a chance at something better."

"Nobody around here ever gets a chance."

"Your grandpa used to say 'things change, always do. You'll get your chance. Important thing is, when it comes, you've got to grab it with both hands; hold on tight.'"

The mother continues to clean while the daughter sits at the table. The mother asks, "can you take the extra chairs and put them in storage for me?"

The daughter stands, folds up a few chairs, and tucks one under each arm.

INT SHED: the daughter opens the door. She enters and sets the chairs against a wall and turns to leave. Her back to us, we hear a sound, a slight whirring, electronic kind of sound. She turns to face the camera. The shot switches to being behind her. There is an old arcade game, covered in dust against the wall. She walks forward.

Close up, she plugs in the game and stands.

Close up of her face, illuminated by the light of the video game. It speaks.

"Greetings Starfighter."

Cut to black.

Fade in: Recruiting again, this summer.

I'd actually watch this movie???

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The CGI in the original was so goddamn impressive for the time, I believe it was done on Amigas? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else and it was just done with SGI workstations.

Anyway, I kinda trust Whitta to do the original justice. As long as it doesn't go too heavy with the exposition like Ready Player One did.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That movie had a good OST

Yes it was.

Alan Silverstri emulated it a lot for Ready Player One.

The CGI in the original was so goddamn impressive for the time, I believe it was done on Amigas? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else and it was just done with SGI workstations.

Anyway, I kinda trust Whitta to do the original justice. As long as it doesn't go too heavy with the exposition like Ready Player One did.

Considering the book it's based on, Ready Player One had almost no exposition in it, its brevity was really impressive.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

It was done on a Cray X-MP supercomputer, same model used for Tron.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably trying to get the reboot out before Ernest Cline's Armada hits theaters and sours audiences worldwide on the idea

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The bio android being form still fucks me up to this day

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, stop remaking good movies Hollywood, how about remaking bad ones instead?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
How about an actual decent Last Starfighter flight simulator\Star League recruitment tool.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Well the ending left it open for a sequel but I'd be fine with a reboot if they don't go all CGI for the aliens. A+ movie