• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Yes Here is a pic. I wouldnt come into this threat without a pic of my little Cayde.

64713106089-40-CE6033-DD91-477-D-8-E07-3519-CEDA410-C.jpg

IMG-2561.jpg

This is Cayde. I got him prescribed to me as an emotional support animal by my therapist. Hes adorable and brave. As soon as he got in the house he did not hide in the box he immediately started running all over the house looking everywhere and playing with the toys I have set up. Hes already litterbox trained and hes super friendly and cuddly. Sometimes a bit much so lol. He kept me up last night jumping on and off the bed and roaming the room.

Im worried about leaving him home alone for the workday tomorrow. I have toys for him and such and more on the way but I worry hes gonna go after wires and get electrocuted.

I have a lot of wires in my office so I plan on shutting that door but I still have wires by my entertainment center that i really cant do anything about. I heard tinfoil is something that cats dont like. Well turns out my little Cayde is braver then most cause he doesnt give a shit about tinfoil. he will still go under furniture regardless.

any tips about leaving a new furbaby alone while at work?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When I was super paranoid about leaving my cats home alone when I first got them I had one room with all the stuff they needed and kitten-proofed it. Eventually that paranoia will calm down. If your guy really does go after cords, they make some bad tasting goop stuff you can put on them that tastes super bitter, and cats hate bitter tastes.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Multiple forms of stimulation (toys, scratch posts, cat tunnels, maybe leaving some cat-friendly TV program on in the background) and food for grazing. Perhaps see if there's anyone around (friend, trusted neighbor) who's willing to check-in for a few minutes during the day. If there's a window where the cat can sit and view the outside world, make use of that as well.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Put a litter pan, food, water, and toys in a bathroom and shut the door. He's not gonna like it, but it will keep him contained when you're not there

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Put him in the laundry room or bathroom.

Leave lots of toys, along with duh stuff like litter box, water, and food, and even consider leaving on a radio or the TV at a low volume.

If someone can check up on him in the middle of the day, that'd be great. At least initially.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I've had some cats that are super into wire chewing and some that aren't, it's kind of a mixed bag with it.

There are some great options for wire protectors though from various stores. The ones we got snap over all the entertainment center wires so even if the cats chew on them they can't actually bite into the wires underneath.

Echoing others, kitty proof a small portion of the house and slowly expand it as you get a better sense of things. When my cats were kittens they kept going on the oven but haven't done it since, even now that they're older there's certain rooms I don't let them in unsupervised.

Also they're adorable!

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
If you have an old smartphone lying around, you can use an app like Manything to turn it into a security camera to keep tabs on the sweet lil snuggy baby while you're at work,

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, don't overthink it. He'll be fine.

Just make sure he has water and food, his litter box is good to go, and anything dangerous is put away. Maybe shut him up in the bedroom while you're gone for a while, till you're comfortable he'll be ok. I only just started letting my cat roam the entire apartment while I'm gone recently; she spent the first year closed up in my bedroom and bathroom, and there was never an issue, though it sounds like your cat is more adventurous than she was.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Also, chewing wires is something that can be trained out of your cat. You might have to actually let the cat start munching or scratching at a wire first and then use some mild form of negative reinforcement (or punishment such as a spray bottle if you're comfortable with that). Get them to understand that wires are a no-go from the outset and they'll remember it for life.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, don't overthink it. He'll be fine.

Just make sure he has water and food, his litter box is good to go, and anything dangerous is put away. Maybe shut him up in the bedroom while you're gone for a while, till you're comfortable he'll be ok. I only just started letting my cat roam the entire apartment while I'm gone recently; she spent the first year closed up in my bedroom and bathroom, and there was never an issue, though it sounds like your cat is more adventurous than she was.

Hes super brave. He went all over the house right away. Goes in dark corners like its nothing and aced the stairs day 1.

im thinking of removing all wires from my bedroom and just letting him have the run of it. there is lots of room for zoomies and Ill put his toys/scratching post/necessities in there. A bathroom is too small for him to roam around but my room isnt. I have some bitter spray on order.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Toys. Lots of toys. He's going to get bored, so better that he destroys toys instead of wires and furniture. Cats are independent so they get used to being alone pretty quick.

Strange advice about tinfoil. My cat loved tinfoil. He loved playing with a tinfoil ball and chewing on it. Nevermind the expensive store bought toys that he would completely ignore, he loved a cheapo tinfoil ball.
You ever chew on tinfoil? Not pleasant, but some cats seem to like it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know enough to give any advice, but I just wanted to say your cat is super cute.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What a cutie. Like others replied. Give this little
guy lots of distractions. Enough water and food, a litter he can reach. He'll sleep most of the time.

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
He's so cute!

My rabbits have chewed through many electrical wires. I finally bought cord protectors like this: https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Protects-Insulated-2mx0-01m-FUNZON/dp/B07FR722S8/

When my cats were kittens they would go behind the tv and play with the cords. I bought a motion activated aerosol can that made a lot of noise and scared them so much I only had it set up for a week and they never when back there. I think the brand was Petsafe.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Also, chewing wires is something that can be trained out of your cat. You might have to actually let the cat start munching or scratching at a wire first and then use some mild form of negative reinforcement (or punishment such as a spray bottle if you're comfortable with that). Get them to understand that wires are a no-go from the outset and they'll remember it for life.
Absolutely. A lot of people don't even try to train their cat because they think it's not possible. For things like boundaries and a lot of unwanted behavior, a cat can learn and remember it forever.
Of course it takes time and a lot of patience to train a cat, but it's especially beneficial to start as a kitten because you end up with a great cat for life.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly, one solution might be to actually get a second kitten. Then they can keep each other company and not get so bored in your absence. Bored cat = in many cases a destructive cat and you want to avoid that.

Normally if you just got a new kitten in the house, a good idea would be to actually stay at home and watch him for a few days to see where the trouble points might be, but I realise this is not always possible to do with work etc.

Also, he's beautiful.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Congrats on the new addition to your home! In addition to the other tips here, if you're going to be away for large chunks of the day many days maybe consider getting a second one, so they can keep each other company and active? He'll probably get lonely all by himself there.

Are you leaving tons of food? Let him eat what he wants, and if he's gorging and getting fat then try to correct it. Otherwise, no problem, and that's better than starving the guy if you end up getting home late or something else happens to you.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Prescription cats. Don't get no better.

In my exp kittens are more at risk with thin cables like mouse leads, USB leads, microphone/headphone leads and the like. Nothing that will harm them. My two more recent additions chewed my mouse cable to shit but its still fine.

If you can set up something to dangle from the ceiling and be twatable they'll have a ball. A lump of tinfoil on a string will be fine. Low enough to hit and be interesting but not all the way to the floor.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Prescription cats. Don't get no better.

In my exp kittens are more at risk with thin cables like mouse leads, USB leads, microphone/headphone leads and the like. Nothing that will harm them. My two more recent additions chewed my mouse cable to shit but its still fine.

If you can set up something to dangle from the ceiling and be twatable they'll have a ball. A lump of tinfoil on a string will be fine. Low enough to hit and be interesting but not all the way to the floor.

so i dont need to worry about console power cords ect? too big for them to chew maybe?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
We kept our kittens in the bathroom when they were really little. Just put the litter box, food, water, a little bed, and maybe a few toys in there. Now, if it's a tiny bathroom that may be a bit harder. But you really don't want them to be able to go all over the place when you're not there.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I and my parents have had cats all our lives. Never seen one chew up any cables. We have numerous fucked up dining room chairs though, despite multiple scratchers nearby.

Last edited:

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I will echo that I have only ever had issues with cats going after thinner cables - but doesn't mean they won't go after thicker.

After being left alone you can always check the thicker cables - if he is chewing you'll see little teeth indents on them.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
My kitty loved to munch on thin cables like cell phone charger cable or an antennae for a receiver (never use FM anymore anyway...). Just get some cable/cord protectors for your thinner cables, you don't have to worry about thick power cables like to a laptop / PC. Also, I found other things my cat likes to chew on like straws (I wouldn't leave any straws laying around for an unsupervised kitten, my older cat is fine unsupervised with a straw or 2 available to bite on as she never tries to eat it) and a cat dancer.

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
We were pretty paranoid about cables at first too, but luckily our two cats couldn't care less about them. Make sure to unplug everything that could be dangerous though and move any small cables out of the way - better safe than sorry, after all. Lock a couple doors if need be, but I wouldn't lock the cat into a single small room. That's just going to terrify them.

For how long has the cat already been with you? Once you don't look at them they like to go crazy while exploring everything in the beginning. Also, our cat loved jumping on the TV, so I'd argue against running cat TV or something like that. Don't make that huge thing more attractive. At least if it isn't secured somehow.

ÉŁGammaÉŁ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Congtatz on your buddy. Have 4 cats, just one is going after cables but only very thin ones like headphone cables. Would suggest to keep him in your room, as you said it is big enough, and do some cable management the next day, there is a thread for it Cable Thread and be done with it for good.
If its an indoor cat, think about getting your new friend a male buddy as well.
All the Best to you and your adorable cat.

wrowa ^_^ the TV, never tought about it before but I got one of mine a expensive cat home with my AF9 TV.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
And why the fuck would you do that?
I agree that it's a bit harsh to wall off a cat like that. The only reason I ever did something similar was because I was trying to acclimate our second cat to the household. We kept him in my mom's bedroom so that my first cat could approach the door, sense the presence, and not have a full confrontation. Once the cats were comfortable enough with the presence of each other, we opened that door for good. It was something like 1-2 weeks with someone being in the house at all times.

Locking a cat in the bathroom alone for the whole work day? Doesn't sit right with me. I'm no expert though.

Your mistake was getting just one! Get two and they can entertain one another while you're gone.
Also true. Cats are best in pairs. My older one was put down last year so we only have the princess now. Not really considering getting another one since the princess seems content, but that five years with the other cat made for a good dynamic.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Your mistake was getting just one! Get two and they can entertain one another while you're gone.

I walled off cord heavy areas myself, but also bought a cheap $30 camera to watch the kittens while are away, though now I work from home and can always keep an eye on.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
When i got my kitten, i tried to build this bunker in the basement to keep him from exploring too much and getting himself hurt. He immediately got out and just claimed the basement as his own.

Kittens are dumb, but I think you'll be okay. Ripley did just fine alone all day. Except when he found out how to crawl into the ceiling and got stuck. Then i got him out and he did that like four more times before I figured out how he was getting up there and got rid of the hole.

But yeah. you'll be fine!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can you just unplug most of the wires? Or even turn some fuses off? If you are really anxious, I mean, chances are you can just leave him and he will be fine.

Also, consider getting another kitty if you have the space and can afford it. Having a little friend play with with help a lot.

Put a litter pan, food, water, and toys in a bathroom and shut the door. He's not gonna like it, but it will keep him contained when you're not there
Put him in the laundry room or bathroom.

Leave lots of toys, along with duh stuff like litter box, water, and food, and even consider leaving on a radio or the TV at a low volume.

If someone can check up on him in the middle of the day, that'd be great. At least initially.
I hope neither of you actually do this...

Please ignore these people, OP.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

I walled off cord heavy areas myself, but also bought a cheap $30 camera to watch the kittens while are away, though now I work from home and can always keep an eye on.
Just thinking that: then you never leave him alone cus he has a wee buddy. Who as a perk will also be adorably cute

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I worry about is my tv lol. I dont think he can get up there just yet but its an oled tv. I worry he can scratch it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

ieu

Oct 26, 2017
Mid Wales
Unless you are playing cat videos they won't be interested in the screen.

I have lost about three mice and two headsets and the turn on for my cats are braided cables. They just love the texture it seems. If you are worried about power then true to cable manage them so they are less exposed and turn off the sockets before you go to work.

I'd rather have to replace a cable than replace a cat.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
If he was a chewer, he would have done it while you were there.
Cats got no shame.

(I'm entirely serious here)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Paging Weltall Zero for sage advice they might have.

Thanks!

Yes Here is a pic. I wouldnt come into this threat without a pic of my little Cayde.

64713106089-40-CE6033-DD91-477-D-8-E07-3519-CEDA410-C.jpg

IMG-2561.jpg

This is Cayde. I got him prescribed to me as an emotional support animal by my therapist. Hes adorable and brave. As soon as he got in the house he did not hide in the box he immediately started running all over the house looking everywhere and playing with the toys I have set up. Hes already litterbox trained and hes super friendly and cuddly. Sometimes a bit much so lol. He kept me up last night jumping on and off the bed and roaming the room.

Im worried about leaving him home alone for the workday tomorrow. I have toys for him and such and more on the way but I worry hes gonna go after wires and get electrocuted.

I have a lot of wires in my office so I plan on shutting that door but I still have wires by my entertainment center that i really cant do anything about. I heard tinfoil is something that cats dont like. Well turns out my little Cayde is braver then most cause he doesnt give a shit about tinfoil. he will still go under furniture regardless.

any tips about leaving a new furbaby alone while at work?

First of all, your kitty is just super insanely cute <3 <3 <3.

Regarding wires, cats will not normally chew on the larger wires that could electrocute them. If they chew on wires, they almost always prefer thinner wires that would not be dangerous to them, like headphones (many a headphone of ours met its demise at the jaws of a bored cat, early on).

The more important topic here is that if you're at work for long periods of time and he's home alone, it's crucial that you give him a sibling / play buddy. This typically means another cat that's about his age (dogs are also great partners, but if you're at work, you obviousy won't be able to walk a dog regularly, so another cat is your best option). Trust me when I say that most of our adopters eventually tell us how adopting a second cat was the second best decision they made (after, well, adopting the first one). They need to socialize with other cats for their own mental well-being, they will become more social and teach each other how to play without hurting each other (or you), and your heart will melt every time you see them playing or cuddling together. :)

As a bonus: cats chew on wires when they're bored, frustrated or lonely. If you have two cats the chances of them chewing on wires or being otherwise destructive decreases to near zero. So if that's a concern, that's another reason to get a second cat.

For any other cat questions, let me cordially invite you to our official cat OT!
www.resetera.com

CatEra |OT| Share your pics, read our tips, ask any questions OT

This is a thread by and for cat lovers! You can also find its sister, dog-themed thread here. CAT TIPS: Keep food and water as separate from each other as possible, because cats associate proximity of food with the fact that the water may be tainted (dead animals rotting in it), and tend to...