• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
MIght actually go for gold this year, it looks pretty nice! Will need to see them in person I guess.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I just want a bigger phone.

I really wish they'd release a 7" iPhone...

iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro have the same exact dimensions.

I don't really see the reason why I should purchase the iPhone 12 Pro over the iPhone 12. That 300 bucks price increase for a better camera is just.... sheesh.

Same. I can't convince myself to buy iPhone 12 Pro just for telephoto camera and it doesn't help that if you buy a Pro you still don't get the best camera system which is exclusive for Pro Max.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Argh, why did they have to skip the telephoto camera on the Mini? Otherwise it would be perfect. I mean, who would ever prefer the superwide over the telephoto?
I really want the Mini but I use the 2x camera on my X quite a bit...
i think apple realizes the telephoto lens is more important, thats why its only on the Pro model for extra $$$

ultrawide is infinitely more useful than telephoto imo. telephoto, just take two steps forward
that's not how lenses work. it's fine if you're shooting landscapes but for shooting people, products, objects, etc you want a telephoto lens. Otherwise everything will look distorted. I can still take group photos with the regular lens but taking photos of people and closeups of food with a 2x zoom on a wide angle lens is NOT the same as using a telephoto lens.

004-Focal_Length_Comparison.jpg

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually happy with Apple getting rid of the charger brick and earpods and slimming down the packaging. Sure, they might be saving a buck, but it is still at the end of the day a net good for the environment.

That said, them hiding the actual retail entry price of these as $729 and $829 unless you're buying it with a crappy carrier deal is really petty and feels like a slap in the face on top them already raising the marketed entry price by $50. Really annoyed by that.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just say that your iPhone is in good condition and send it in. If it's not up to their standards, they're supposed to make a new offer (presumably a lower price or just the option to recycle), and if you reject it, they'll send your phone back.
Fantastic! Thank you.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
MIght actually go for gold this year, it looks pretty nice! Will need to see them in person I guess.

Yeah I think I'm set on the blue pro max but not sure 100% yet. The fact that the smaller Pro launches next week actually is kinda cool so I can check out the blue in person before ordering my Max.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd imagine that next year's iPhone will either have an under-display fingerprint scanner or use the new iPad's power button fingerprint scanner.

Yeah that would make sense. I'm looking to upgrade and not sure I'm interested in waiting another year for those features vs upgrading now (I'm sure the 12 will otherwise be a nice leap in power from the 6s I currently have, not to mention significantly better battery life). So hopefully FaceID/passcode works well enough for me.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really upset that there is no telephoto lense on the Mini. Who gives a shit about wide angle! The telephoto was amazing for portrait mode. Now that I'm a father I feel compelled to have the best possible camera in my pocket, but the XS/11 form factor is already too goddamn big. 6.1" is just asinine. I honestly don't understand this obsession with large phones. What is wrong with you people?

Oct 28, 2017
Tempted as I am by that blue iPhone 12, I can't really justify the £600 it'd cost to upgrade from my XR right now, especially with the XSX/PS5 being so close and Christmas just around the corner as well.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Really upset that there is no telephoto lense on the Mini. Who gives a shit about wide angle! The telephoto was amazing for portrait mode. Now that I'm a father I feel compelled to have the best possible camera in my pocket, but the XS/11 form factor is already too goddamn big. 6.1" is just asinine. I honestly don't understand this obsession with large phones. What is wrong with you people?
I'm sure there are people driven to buy the larger models due to the improved feature set. If the smaller phone had the same camera performance as the large one, I'd get it.

Jun 23, 2019
I'm rocking an iPhone 8 Plus and I really want to get an iPhone 12 Pro, but I don't know if I should put in my preorder for one now and get it later this month or bite the bullet and wait until next month for the Pro Max and get a better camera and bigger screen.

Jan 2, 2018

Exactly my thoughts. I want the best camera in the most compact form.

I know mini is going to have a better camera than my XS but a telephoto would have been nice.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I'm wondering - is the 12 Mini too small for the little wallet/card holder magsafe accessory? Cause the size of that device + the thought of being able to go genuinely wallet-free is really fucking tempting, more tempting by the minute.

Yeah, I'll never understand how so many seem to prefer having ultrawide over telephoto. The telephoto is like the only camera I really use on my 11 Pro, losing it would be a real bummer.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Thinking of pairing it with this case!

Bruh I have been preaching about the Sena Ultraslim for years. This is the case I have used going back to the iPhone 3GS and, as someone who hates phone cases, I'll never use anything else for as long as this thing is being made. The black Ultraslim would look nice as hell with the gold Pro.

Only downsides are it takes little bit to break in and can be cumbersome to use at first, and you might have to change your Siri and emergency call settings to not activate the side buttons due to the tight fit (almost called 911 when I first got it for my XS Max). Maybe just me, but it's also pretty easy to lose, send through the wash, get chewed up by your dog, etc... all things that have happened to my Ultraslims lol.

Overall though it's durable and greatly reduces wear and tear on the phone if you want a naked phone. You'll probably still need a screen protector if you want to keep the screen pristine though.

Also their iPad Ultraslim was super slick, but they don't seem to be making iPad cases anymore. :(

Edit: I should turn my brightness up. That color would look super nice with gold as well!

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious about the durability of the new ceramic screens. Really hate having a screen protector on my phone, but I really don't want to risk getting little scratches on there.
Any information on that or should I wait for JerryRigEverything's teardown video?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Really curious about the durability of the new ceramic screens. Really hate having a screen protector on my phone, but I really don't want to risk getting little scratches on there.
Any information on that or should I wait for JerryRigEverything's teardown video?
MKHB said that it's probably more about preventing the screen to shatter when dropped. Not so much about scratches on the surface. Apple did not mention scratch durability at all during the event.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Think i'm sticking with my XS for another year, i'll wait for 120hz and a smaller notch before upgrading.

Spending enough on the PS5 and an LG CX as it is.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Either way I'm done buying iPhones for the sleek sexy appearance when all I do is put them in a black sturdy rubber case Haha
I would love to have it out of the case but the reality is when it's that expensive I'm not taking a chance so I'll stick with my iPhoneX till it slows down LOL

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
Interesting phones! But i'm wondering if they finally fixed the camera lens flare issues, especially in low light. I could spot one of those nasty lens flares already in their sample footage that they showed during the presentation, that was a real bummer. If they still havent fixed it I will wait for another year or 2.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Shame about 120Hz, I would like to have it before 5G, since it will take years before it gets any traction in my country.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
This is just extremely stupid. I don't know what to do. I have an iPhone 6S currently which means that if I buy an iPhone 12 / iPhone 12 Pro then neither my charger brick will be compatible (USB-A) nor my EarPods (mini-jack). So if I really wanted to buy iPhone 12 then I would have to spend extra 30 euro for a USB-C charger and 30 euro for EarPods with lightning or even more for AirPods. This is insane.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA

4 inches doesn't satisfy me. Has to be at least 6 inches.

The mini is so cute but I see it more of a novelty thing. No 120hz on any of them is blasphemy. You won't want to go back to 60hz once you used it. But Apple is doing the same as every company. Small upgrades here and there while charging more.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This is just extremely stupid. I don't know what to do. I have an iPhone 6S currently which means that if I buy an iPhone 12 / iPhone 12 Pro then neither my charger brick will be compatible (USB-A) nor my EarPods (mini-jack). So if I really wanted to buy iPhone 12 then I would have to spend extra 30 euro for a USB-C charger and 30 euro for EarPods with lightning or even more for AirPods. This is insane.
Get a different charger for less and get a lightning adapter for whatever headphone you want to use. Still some extra money but not 60€. You can also use your old charger with the old lightning cable

ara

Oct 26, 2017

I'm confused. The new phones are still Lightning so your old charger will work perfectly fine, and you can just get the lightning-to-3.5mm dongle to use your old earpods for 10 euros, right? You can also definitely get a USB-C brick for less than 30 euros, and the lightning earpods are just 19 euros too.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
So I was instantly leaning towards the 12 rather than the Pro (I have a camera, I'm fine with not having a "Pro" camera in my phone and there seems to be no other difference other than shinier edges?) but I think it all depends on what my carrier has available. I'm looking to switch from my current one this year and the one I'm looking at only has the base storage options for the iPhone 11 models, if that's the same with the 12 then I'll get the Pro solely for the 128GB, if not I'm getting that Product Red 12.

Edit: Actually, getting the 12 on finance via Apple and switching my sim to a new provider ends up adding up to the same amount, I'm getting that sweet sweet Red phone.

what time do preorders start on friday?
UK store says 1pm. Not sure about other countries. If you open up the Apple Store App and hit "Get Ready" on the iPhone 12 Pro bit on the front page it should show you.

Last edited:

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Re the charger, why restrict yourself on Apple chargers only when you can get a third-party one for a fraction of the cost?
FWIW, I use Anker and they're pretty darn good for the price.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Get a different charger for less and get a lightning adapter for whatever headphone you want to use. Still some extra money but not 60€. You can also use your old charger with the old lightning cable

I thought that using different charger isn't really recommended for iPhones, is it? I might buy a dongle as a temporary solution but I find this extremely stupid. My old charger is 5W and this is embarassing in almost 2021.

I'm confused. The new phones are still Lightning so your old charger will work perfectly fine, and you can just get the lightning-to-3.5mm dongle to use your old earpods for 10 euros, right? You can also definitely get a USB-C brick for less than 30 euros, and the lightning earpods are just 19 euros too.

Yeah it will work fine but it's 5W and this is embarassing for almost 2021. This doesn't really justify the issue. I still have to spend a lot of extra money to get somewhat good experience.

Re the charger, why restrict yourself on Apple chargers only when you can get a third-party one for a fraction of the cost?
FWIW, I use Anker and they're pretty darn good for the price.

I might do that but as you can see in my replies above this doesn't really sound like a good experience overall.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I am finally going to take the plunge and order a new phone. Photography is not really my thing so I think the regular 12 in blue is all I need. I did replace my 6's battery last year, but I will give it to my mother since she gets my and my sister's models when we upgrade.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
While I also think that removing the charger and headphones is just in favor for Apple to improve it's profit, it really isn't a lot of money considering the price of an iPhone... I charge our phones for years with all kinds of chargers. Anker, Amazon, Apple, Samsung, Nintendo. They all work just fine

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Are they restricting things artificially again? They make the point that both 12 and pro have the same chip, but only pro gets the proRAW format and DV 4k/60 (12 records in DV 4k but only 30)

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, the iPhone 12 and Mini don't have telephoto cameras? I missed that. Ugh, I don't care much about the camera on my phone but I use the telephoto on my X a bunch. Maybe I do need to get the Pro.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Are they restricting things artificially again? They make the point that both 12 and pro have the same chip, but only pro gets the proRAW format and DV 4k/60 (12 records in DV 4k but only 30)
Can only assume the RAM number (reputed to be 6GB on the Pros) is the differentiating factor here.

I might do that but as you can see in my replies above this doesn't really sound like a good experience overall.
Anker's are bulletproof, especially their GaN chargers. RavPower - not so much.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it will work fine but it's 5W and this is embarassing for almost 2021. This doesn't really justify the issue. I still have to spend a lot of extra money to get somewhat good experience.

I think you're being a bit silly about this. Extremely stupid? Insane? Embarrassing? You really, really don't have to spend anything near 60 euros extra. If you're like most people and charge your phone during night time when you sleep, the 5W charger should be perfectly fine. If not and you need faster charging, just get the 7 euro charger Humidex posted and the 10 euro dongle to use your old earbuds and you're good to go. 17 euros on top of, what, an 800 euro phone? Nobody likes spending extra money, but if spending 20 euros extra is a genuine issue for you and not just a minor one-time annoyance, you should probably reconsider the whole purchase.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're being a bit silly about this. Extremely stupid? Insane? Embarrassing? You really, really don't have to spend anything near 60 euros extra. If you're like most people and charge your phone during night time when you sleep, the 5W charger should be perfectly fine. If not and you need faster charging, just get the 7 euro charger Humidex posted and the 10 euro dongle to use your old earbuds and you're good to go. 17 euros on top of, what, an 800 euro phone? Nobody likes spending extra money, but if spending 20 euros extra is a genuine issue for you and not just a minor one-time annoyance, you should probably reconsider the whole purchase.

This is not about the money, you seem to miss my point. When you read how much additional hassle it requires do you really think it's a great experience? Just stating my opinion that I am not a fan.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This is not about the money, you seem to miss my point. When you read how much additional hassle it requires do you really think it's a great experience? Just stating my opinion that I am not a fan.

The money was apparently the point at first since that's the thing you focused on, but now the issue is the hassle of... Clicking "order" on one, at worst two, cheap extra items?

Not liking business decisions of big corporations is perfectly fine and all - and fuck corporations, while we're here - I'm just saying you seem to be making it into a much, much bigger issue for yourself than it has to be.

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wait, the iPhone 12 and Mini don't have telephoto cameras? I missed that. Ugh, I don't care much about the camera on my phone but I use the telephoto on my X a bunch. Maybe I do need to get the Pro.
Whats the added value of the telephoto expect for zoom? Honest question, because I'm torn between the 12 and 12 pro. I don't remember using the telephoto much when shooting a pic.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I usually need to order a new case and screen protector for a new phone. Ordering extraneous accessories for a purchase like this has always been part of the experience.