• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
O3yzEr3.jpg

www.apple.com

iPhone

Powerful. Beautiful. Durable. Check out the new iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPhone 15, and iPhone 15 Plus.

iPhone 12 - from $799, Preorders Oct. 16, ships Oct. 23
iPhone 12 Mini - from $699, Preorders Nov. 6, ships Nov. 13
iPhone 12 Pro - from $999, Preorders Oct. 16, ships Oct. 23
iPhone 12 Pro Max - from $1099, Preorders Nov. 6, ships Nov. 13

ed: Those prices are only with certain carriers, check the Apple site (here, here) to see.

12:

Featuring the same 6.1-inch display size as the iPhone 11 and iPhone XR before it, the latest "main" iPhone — and likely the model most people will gravitate toward — is making the transition from an LCD screen to OLED. And as rumored, the phone has flat aluminum sides for an overall look that more closely matches the iPad Pro and iPad Air (plus the iPhone 4 from years ago).

The iPhone 12 will come in black, white, blue, red, and green. Pricing starts at $799. Preorders start this Friday, and the iPhone 12 will be available on October 23rd. Aside from the flat sides, it still largely resembles the iPhone 11. There's still a notch at the top that houses Apple's Face ID technology, though the bezels around the screen have been reduced — another perk of the OLED switch. Around back, the iPhone 12 has two cameras housed in a matte glass squircle, which makes for a nice contrast with the rest of the glossy back panel.
The iPhone 12 has a 12-megapixel f/1.6 main camera — the fastest aperture in any iPhone yet — and a 12MP ultra-wide. Apple says low-light performance has improved, and the company has continued its advancements in computational photography to maximize detail and dynamic range. The front camera on the iPhone 12 is gaining Night Mode, as well.

Apple has also sought to improve wireless charging on the iPhone 12, which contains a "MagSafe" system with built-in magnets to guarantee that the iPhone properly lines up with supported MagSafe accessories. Cases, charges, and other accessories snap onto the iPhone 12 magnetically. Apple is introducing a dual wireless charger for the iPhone and Apple Watch that utilizes the new MagSafe tech.

IVJ1uis.jpg

Mini:

p6jbA3O.jpg

PP7x31Q.png

Pros:

Also new — and exclusive to the iPhone 12 Pro models — is a LIDAR sensor, which, similar to the iPad Pro, will be used for additional AR effects. Apple also says that the LIDAR scanner will be used to help focus in low-light situation, making autofocus for low-light photography up to six times faster. It also enables Night Mode portrait photography shots.
Apple also teased a new feature it calls "Apple ProRAW" that will be available on the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max later this year. The company says that it'll offer existing computational photography benefits like its Deep Fusion and Smart HDR along with the flexibility of RAW photos. The format will be available across all four cameras, and will let users adjust things like sharpening, color highlights, and more while still taking advantage of Apple's existing photography enhancements.

The new iPhone 12 Pro phones will also be able to shoot in HDR video, a first for the product line, including support for shooting directly in Dolby Vision HDR. The iPhone 12 will also be able to edit Dolby Vision HDR video straight from the Photos app.

knZVH0V.jpg

IHodwgA.jpg

tHW5pQq.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Thank God they finally ditched those LCD screens with the massive bezels for the non-Pro models.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Feeling crazy, but may drop my 11 Pro Max for a mini.

Mini is basically the perfect "small phone." Wish we got 120hz/USB-C - but if it's not on the pro, either, may as well enjoy the Mini this year while the devices are at parity.

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't help but chuckle at "we didn't raise the prices again this year!" being an actual point in the last slides.

So, I guess this marks LCD as eradicated from the iPhone (counting from the very-latest designs, excluding the SE.) I've long been aversive to OLED due to the blue off-angle tinge - I suppose I will have to cave in, sooner or later!

Last edited:

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
No Touch ID no sale. Sick of punching my pin (usually twice or three times) every time I unlock my phone when I'm not home.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Any mention of whether they are waterproof?
They showed IP68 6 meters during the Pro presentation. Unsure about the normal 12. From their site (https://www.apple.com/iphone-12-pro/):

iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 6 meters up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
No Chargers is still one big why. Also not jumping full head to USBC is coward move.

Phone looks okay but I do think tech has plateaued a bit.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
No Chargers is still one big why. Also not jumping full head to USBC is coward move.

Phone looks okay but I do think tech has plateaued a bit.
People will say a business reason and not environmental but it can easily be both. Obviously not pure altruism from Apple but I'm sure the climate impact is legit. I'm also sure a majority of the people buying these have a wall adapter or PC port to use, or at least can spend 9 dollars on Amazon for one.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Super interested in what real life improvements exist for the camera on the 12 Max so I guess I'm waiting for reviews and camera samples/comparisons. Really love the blue color too. Other than than, meh.

Nov 1, 2017
Upgrading my 7 to a 12 Pro. It's served me well for many years but finally dying out (speakers, microphone, camera). Looking forward to the 12 Pro lasting me even longer.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
That blue looks great but I have no regrets getting my wife an 11 pro max on the cheap instead of waiting for the 12

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda hate that I'm being pushed into the Max sized phones assuming they keep the sensor size gulf going with future models. Oof.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% in for that Silver 12 Pro Max. Bummed that it's not available until November 13th.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like less differentiation between Pro and non-Pro than past years? If the only difference is now stainless steel and the camera, no reason for me to get the Pro, as I don't care about the camera or Max size. A significantly better screen or more ideal size might have been enough to sway me in past years.

Now the tough choice is mini or not.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the Pro have a stainless steel body compared to Aluminum for regular?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't think I can justify the price of the Pro over the 12 for the better camera and gimmicks. 12 it probably is.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No leather cases for the new phones I guess. ☹️ I always went with the leather ones. Only see silicone on the store.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People will say a business reason and not environmental but it can easily be both. Obviously not pure altruism from Apple but I'm sure the climate impact is legit. I'm also sure a majority of the people buying these have a wall adapter or PC port to use, or at least can spend 9 dollars on Amazon for one.

if it was for the environment they would just give you a voucher to request one