• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Remember when Tommy Tallarico said this was going to have "2D hardware" inside and thus would be able to do "2D" better than current GPUs, but when pressed as to what "2D hardware" was and how it could possible do "2D" better than modern video cards that have the ability to arbitrarily plot pixels, he'd ignore your question?

Well it sure is cool then that the games they are showing off aren't 2D.
"the most advanced 2D sprite-based graphics the world has ever seen"

"[beyond what] a 'PlayStation 5' could ever reasonably output in terms of 2D visuals"

*radio silence for months*

*promo footage lacks virtually any sprite-based visuals*

2D is so good it looks 3D.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Some of the games they showed look like fun. If I recall correctly, they intend to sell the games at $2 to $8 apiece, which is in the same price range as some mobile games or cheaper downloadable games on consoles that are similar in scope.

The price of the console itself (around $200) is a concern. I believe there is a market for a system with simple games that are easy to grasp and family-friendly, but they should have aimed to get the system under $100.

Remember when Tommy Tallarico said this was going to have "2D hardware" inside and thus would be able to do "2D" better than current GPUs, but when pressed as to what "2D hardware" was and how it could possible do "2D" better than modern video cards that have the ability to arbitrarily plot pixels, he'd ignore your question?

Well it sure is cool then that the games they are showing off aren't 2D.

Yeah, that was some weird hype. In a sense, it's good that they retreated from that. It's obvious now that most of their games feature 2D-style gameplay with 3D-rendered graphics...which is fine by me.They don't need to fabricate any claims about what the hardware can do if this is their intent.

I'd like for them to retreat from some other early hype lines, particularly the one where games developed for Amico must be exclusive to the system. Such a restriction could deter some developers, as they might not want to put their best foot forward if their work is forever contractually bound to a niche system.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like for them to retreat from some other early hype lines, particularly the one where games developed for Amico must be exclusive to the system. Such a restriction could deter some developers, as they might not want to put their best foot forward if their work is forever contractually bound to a niche system.

They seem to be quietly backing away from that exclusive requirement, for example the Evil Knievel game in the latest trailer is a port of a 5 year old mobile game and even used the same trailer
play.google.com

Evel Knievel - Apps on Google Play

*** #1 Racing Game in over 40 countries *** 4.5/5 Touch Arcade - "Evel Knievel is a fun, worthy tribute to the legendary daredevil" Now it’s your chance to step into the shoes of the legendary daredevil hero with the Official Evel Knievel game! Relive his spectacular career, starting with a...

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The line up looks like a collection of all those shitty digital Switch games that are constantly on sale for 99 cents.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be in for a cheaper price. I like the idea of the machine but hate the price tag.

They're trying to sell this for 50 bucks less than a Nintendo Switch which puts things into perspective.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
You know what this reminds me of? The Wii U eShop after they opened it up to anyone and we got all those horrible tutorial-tier "games."

Layla

Oct 25, 2017

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I get what they are going for, but couldn't they achieve the same success by becoming a publishing label?

I believe that's a much better idea than releasing a dedicated console. They could use the Intellivision name as an umbrella brand for their flavor of inexpensive, family-friendly "pick up and play" games, and release them for numerous existing platforms.

The Amico controllers could also be released as separate accessories (optional, since a mobile phone app would also suffice).

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
I'm interested, but concerned that on the day preorders reopens, noone posted anything about the Intellivision Amico today until me just now.

Kinda sorta leaning toward getting it, as I want Utopia, whatever they rename AD&D as, Night Stalker, and Skiing...But concerned about the long term or even medium term viability of the system.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

The guy behind this system acts like the most unprofessional POS ever. All over a system that barely has anything of worth and the only things that sound cool to me (Stuff like Spelunker, Lode Runner, R-Type, etc), aren't even close to being shown off and I don't know if it'll be a port/remake or not. Not to mention, all three of those franchises have had new games for mainstream consoles in the past three years, so unless these are some real bangers I have zero reason to dump $200 on a system like this. And I'm a retro fanatic that would dig quality updates of classic games, but they just aren't being shown here nor are they system sellers.

I can't in good faith take this system a bit seriously with the games shown in that trailer and the way the guy behind it is acting.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The guy behind this system acts like the most unprofessional POS ever. All over a system that barely has anything of worth and the only things that sound cool to me (Stuff like Spelunker, Lode Runner, R-Type, etc), aren't even close to being shown off and I don't know if it'll be a port/remake or not. Not to mention, all three of those franchises have had new games for mainstream consoles in the past three years, so unless these are some real bangers I have zero reason to dump $200 on a system like this. And I'm a retro fanatic that would dig quality updates of classic games, but they just aren't being shown here nor are they system sellers.

I can't in good faith take this system a bit seriously with the games shown in that trailer and the way the guy behind it is acting.

That's how Tommy Tallarico supposedly is, he's had a long reputation in the industry.

Pat Contri is cool, btw, people shouldn't be making fun of his appearance or anything. The guy looks fine.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the music in the trailer? Sounds like Colony 5 or some other futurepop band going all ham and doing futurepopsynthwave or something.

Edit: Found in the YT video description. Also, $250 for those games? Yeah... No.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested, but concerned that on the day preorders reopens, noone posted anything about the Intellivision Amico today until me just now.

Kinda sorta leaning toward getting it, as I want Utopia, whatever they rename AD&D as, Night Stalker, and Skiing...But concerned about the long term or even medium term viability of the system.

Let's not kid ourselves, this will be dead on arrival.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
That's how Tommy Tallarico supposedly is, he's had a long reputation in the industry.

Pat Contri is cool, btw, people shouldn't be making fun of his appearance or anything. The guy looks fine.

Yeah, Pat's a really good guy. He's made some awesome books about the NES/SNES and had a pretty great video review series going for a while. I do enjoy his podcasts quite a bit too, but I prefer the books. It's kinda odd though, that I didn't even know this thing existed until I saw Pat pointing out that this guy keeps getting mad at him for pointing out how the thing's likely to bomb on arrival or not do well unless they had a very good lineup and prepared a lot better.

...And of course a lot of the people Tommy's RTing and liking stuff from are drama YTers like SmashJT that are still angry at pat for telling people to not overreact and be rude to blizzard staff over the Diablo mobile game. I honestly can't believe some of those people won't let go the notion to not be a jerk to game developers. Yeah, even if I was more interested in this, I can't in good faith support a system that's being backed by someone so unprofessional that he's willing to pick fights with people that aren't sure about his product.

It's okay if you still want to pick it up and have fun with it, but it's destined to be a failed console curio. Honestly I'd be surprised if most of the second wave of games even arrives.

Yeah if anything i'd be waiting to see if these games get ported, if anything noteworthy comes out of this. Either that or the inevitable pricedrop. It's gonna be a bit hard for this to do well at the current price.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The games looked...below average, at best

they didn't had that talk about having only "7+" in terms of reviews?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone missed it, an extended look at functioning controllers in Missile Command, which uses the touchscreen:

(actual gameplay is 5 minutes in).

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
surprised Tommy hasn't posted in this thread yet with his 50 min long "quick response" to pat & ian

the AA forum thread on this topic are full of posts that Pat doesn't understand the type of gamer this is being marketed to, Frankly I don't think Tommy does either

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It's obviously aimed to a very small niche of old retro/lapsed gamers who see value in remakes of games/concept from the '70s and '80s enough to justify a $250 price tag.
I think it's a delusional thinking that it can be marketed successfully as a family friendly console.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is coming out around the same planned window of PS5 and XSX if they launch end of year. NotAGreatPlan.gif.

They should have sold the controllers bundled with download codes and gone big on multiplatform support. Shit even like the Jackbox party games that use your mobile/tablet devices already, waaay better implementation and sales.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sad to say it looks like a $100-$150 machine tops, but $250 is Switch range. Maybe that's not fair but if people are faced with a choice, I can't imagine them picking this up instead. Is that just the preorder price with all the bells and whistles, and a cheaper version will be out after at launch? Or is $250 the price?

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Earthworm Jim will really look like the run cycle animation purports it to look (because the this animation is pretty darn awesome):

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Tommy Tallarico has always been a giant bullshiter so to see him act like that on Twitter is the least surprising thing ever... This whole thing is just a giant scam.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Either this is a money laundering scheme or a lot of dumb people are going to lose millions of dollars

Oct 27, 2017
Ouya 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I think this was always going to struggle, but those offerings in this current situation....yeesh. Doomed.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
surprised Tommy hasn't posted in this thread yet with his 50 min long "quick response" to pat & ian

the AA forum thread on this topic are full of posts that Pat doesn't understand the type of gamer this is being marketed to, Frankly I don't think Tommy does either

Nintendoage has a thread all about atGames products where they pretty much banned all discussions of them buying the Ms-Pac Man rights/making awful products so yeah, not surprised the ____Age sites are getting mad at people unhappy or worried it'll not do so hot since this is aiming the same niche, but way more expensive

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
this is just a wild guess but a brand new moon patrol would pretty much be ignored on the eshop/steam.
So I guess if you want to headline a storefront, the Amico is the place for your game

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
I'd be in for a cheaper price. I like the idea of the machine but hate the price tag.

They're trying to sell this for 50 bucks less than a Nintendo Switch which puts things into perspective.

That's how I feel too. I like what has been said so far about the system, I have the recquired notalgia for it, I have the disposable income, I even liked the games shown so far and think it's a great system to play with my 5 yo.

Price doesn't seem fair, tho.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

If you missed your chance to kickstart the Ouya or get in early on Quibi, here's your opportunity to invest in the Amico!

Keeeeeeripes. And now they're crowdfunding it?

Plus, from the Fig page:

Whoa, Nelly! In celebration of the 25th anniversary of Earthworm Jim, Intellivision Entertainment is proud to reunite the original Earthworm Jim team to create a brand new video game adventure exclusively for Intellivision Amico. Voted "GAME OF THE YEAR" in 1994, the last time the Earthworm Jim team worked together was in the follow up award-winning hit sensation Earthworm Jim 2 (released in 1995). Ten of the original team members, including Doug TenNapel, David Perry, Tommy Tallarico, Nick Bruty, Mike Dietz, Tom Tanaka and Joey Kuras are taking part in bringing back the uniqueness and humor of the Earthworm Jim series. We couldn't think of anything more Groovy!

Emphasis mine. I can think of something more groovy - not including that shithead.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
There an interesting article on Amico at GameDaily.biz:

The cheapest of the VIP editions is being sold for $249 and requires a $100 deposit, which is completely refundable. The 10,000 figure is on top of 2,600 Founders Edition units that were sold back in January, and importantly, 100,000 purchase orders have now been placed by major retailers. The pandemic has temporarily forced Intellivision to halt purchase orders, however.
10K+2.6K preorders and apparently 100K orders from retailers.

The 100,000 figure may sound like small potatoes, but in the context of Intellivision's business, it's an incredible start. While sold-in to retail is not the same as sold through to consumers, Intellivision CEO Tommy Tallarico told GameDaily on the phone today that his break-even point for the Amico console is a mere 180,000 units sold. That's in stark contrast with high-powered consoles from companies like Sony and Microsoft.
So the break even seem to be 180K consoles.
Good luck.

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter commented to GameDaily that he remains bullish on Amico as well. "I think that it's likely the worst of the pandemic will be behind us by then, and it's equally likely that retail stores will be open by then, so I expect consumers to embrace the concept for at least the first 100,000," he said. "Let's see how reviews come in, and if reviewers like Amico, it's likely they will sell a lot more. I really don't think that those figures are aggressive at all, since it comes with a bunch of games and the new games are under $10. My guess is that it will sell 1 million its first full year."
Lol 1 million Amico consoles sold in the first year.
Pachter never cease to make me laugh.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Keeeeeeripes. And now they're crowdfunding it?

Plus, from the Fig page:

Emphasis mine. I can think of something more groovy - not including that shithead.
I also like the lie that the last time they worked together was in 1995, when in fact it was 2007 on the PSP EWJ sequel that they failed to get out the door.

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a Wii U made solely for Retro/indie games?

Why is it $250?

Is there any expectation that this actually comes out?

I might buy it for shits and giggles 2nd hand with the Atari VCS but I really do see what the Endgame is with this console.