• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018

VIP Pre-orders also announced, beginning March 31.
$100 refundable deposit gets you access to:
- console in black or white ($249 each) or woodgrain ($279)
- $25 Amico store gift card
- 25% off online store merch code
- Running Man trading card signed by Tommy Tallarico
- three digital soundtrack albums, including Earthworm Jim Anthology (sounds like the stuff Tommy gives for the Video Games Live Kickstarters he does)

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
These all look like free itch.io unity games lol. Not saying they can't be fun, but my goodness, they all look generic.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of a racing game on Intellivision if you can't go off road and start driving on the other tracks?

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
I can't say I'm terribly impressed by the showcase here. What I can say that is that I felt some major nostalgia seeing that Nightstalker sprite and then the Nightstalker remake at the very end.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not wishing failure upon it and I hope those that get it are happy with it but I just cannot imagine dropping at least $250 for dedicated hardware for mobile games. It's the Ready Player One of game consoles.

The only bright side of this failing is maybe he'd get back to focusing on Video Games Live. The last album has had some big delivery issues that I'd imagine were caused by this taking his focus away from it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Spending three hundred dollars to play a smattering of phone games is the last thing on people's minds right now.

System was already doomed, trying to launch it now? Madness.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These games would be fine in a something like a compilation of remakes of classic Intellivision games on current systems, not as something that someone is going to buy a whole console for.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they can't be serious with this. those are the games that they think will get people to buy a new system?

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Funny thing is that I would absolutely buy the Nightstalker and Astrosmash remakes if was ported to consoles, but who's spending $250 for a soon-to-be paperweight?

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Target market for this is obviously people who had the original machines. Big price cut would definitely make it more attractive.. what are the specs on this thing though? What's it actually capable of? Does it have motion control? The disc golf looking game and others made me wonder

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thing is $50 less than a Nintendo Switch and $50 more than a Switch Lite. The launch of this is going to be pretty depressing,

SONofZARDOZ

Nov 26, 2019
I am a huge Intellivision fan and I am excited to see what they can do but even I think the price is too high. The games are cheap and that's great but it's not going to matter if you can't move systems.

Speaking of games, Night Stalker looks fantastic but I really don't like the look of Astrosmash and that sucks because it really should be one of the main games being promoted seeing as how well the original still holds up. I'll reserve final judgment until I see more but I wish it combined retro elements with modern ones like Night Stalker.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still no footage of any actual hardware running. The dice rolling thing at 2:03 was running on a phone.

There's no way in hell this thing is being released in October.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
These games would be fine in a something like a compilation of remakes of classic Intellivision games on current systems, not as something that someone is going to buy a whole console for.

Reminder that they tried to do this a few years ago and it failed miserably so they instead tried to do something more ambitious and stupid for boomers with too much money.

www.kickstarter.com

Intellivision Gen2 Video Games For PC & MAC

Intellivision Classics Astrosmash, Shark! Shark! and Night Stalker re-imagined and modernized for gamers of all ages on PC & MAC

Edit: Honestly that pong game looks cool. Anyone else have weird probably misplaced nostalgia for Pong the Next Level?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Well, at least there is a Shark Shark remake.
Love Shark Shark.

They stated that they aiming for a family console but to me its looks like they are catering only to the Atari/Intellivision old fans.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope some of these games eventually get ported elsewhere as I don't want to buy the hardware. Some of the remakes of old InTV games look cool (Cloudy Mountain and Night Stalker) but most look like generic low budget attempts.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I saw a remaster/remake of AD&D, aka one of the best games of all times.
Bought !

(not really, i did see a couple games i'd like to play and the console itself looks nice, but 250 is madness.)

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that they tried to do this a few years ago and it failed miserably so they instead tried to do something more ambitious and stupid for boomers with too much money.
Oof, I totally forgot they did that. To make that makes it even worse that they are making a whole console out of this.

Well, I would wish them luck except for the fact they hired fucking TenNapel to work for them on a new Earthworm Jim.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the music reminds me of that scene where michael scoff is sitting alone at his hotel room party listening to the girls gone wild theme song.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to watching it. I assumed the posts in this thread were overreactions but woof is that bad.

Disappointed that most of those games appear to be score chasers. The ski game looks like a spiritual successor to SkiFree, which is pretty neat if true. That one dungeon game looked like it could be neat but is probably just low budget crap.

I can't imagine that this will appeal to very many people, especially for that price. The games feel like they belong on a PnP controller console for $40. I have a fascination for oddity consoles and handhelds but it's not worth that price to me.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Target market for this is obviously people who had the original machines. Big price cut would definitely make it more attractive.. what are the specs on this thing though? What's it actually capable of? Does it have motion control? The disc golf looking game and others made me wonder
The game is called Cornhole.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Video unavailable now, but the thumbnail looked like the cartoony fishing game I played with my 4 year old at an arcade on vacation. It essentially was dropping a line to try to get the highest prize but getting screwed by some obstacle coming across the screen at the last minute.

Not a thing I'd ever play at home for free, and definitely not pay money for.

Still not convinced this and the Atari aren't where the dark money that was being washed through radio shack turned to. All of these are just going to be bulk purchased through various shell groups and then resold as overstock to the likes big lots, zulily, overstock.com ect.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Really liking the look of Dungeons & Dragons and Nightstalker - both my favourite games on the system (which I have in the loft, boxed with a load of games). I also liked Lock n Chase but no sign of that so far. IMHO this would be better if you could chose 10 games from a store...I'd pay for that, the system plau 10 games of your choice from the store.

Live in the UK though, so my only option will likely be importing when prices drop (which probably won't be long which is unfortunate).

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
They've said the target market or those is families with very young children. Looks ideal to be honest.

Will be getting one for some games to play with my son.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If this thing was $99 or $129 for the special edition then it may be successful but not at $199 and up. The Switch starts at $199 and that can be used for co-op and family fun they are trying to advertise.

I love the nostalgia but that market is not willing to pay for what looks to be a premium for the hardware. Game prices are fine though.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
To be honest, 99 USD also seems like a stretch if this is the standard of games for this thing. Not that they look bad, well, most of'em don't, but that's a mini game collection if I ever saw one. Pretty much any single game on the SNES mini offers more of a complete game experience.

Man, a shame, I was really really interested when this was announced.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
To be honest, 99 USD also seems like a stretch if this is the standard of games for this thing. Not that they look bad, well, most of'em don't, but that's a mini game collection if I ever saw one. Pretty much any single game on the SNES mini offers more of a complete game experience.

Man, a shame, I was really really interested when this was announced.
I would gather the controllers are the problem and why the price is as high but even then it should not be above $149.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Moon Patrol looks good. I don't know this looks good. Not 250 good, but good.

No Yeeer Out??!?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Tommy Tallarico said this was going to have "2D hardware" inside and thus would be able to do "2D" better than current GPUs, but when pressed as to what "2D hardware" was and how it could possible do "2D" better than modern video cards that have the ability to arbitrarily plot pixels, he'd ignore your question?

Well it sure is cool then that the games they are showing off aren't 2D.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"the most advanced 2D sprite-based graphics the world has ever seen"

"[beyond what] a 'PlayStation 5' could ever reasonably output in terms of 2D visuals"

*radio silence for months*

*promo footage lacks virtually any sprite-based visuals*

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Good point, and I'm still ready to be surprised if it really adds to the gameplay in a way other consoles don't, but yeah that only does so much for me.
It's kind of the same situation WiiU faced, too much put into the controller while the actual hardware was so far behind that it was hard to justify the price.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Tommy Tallarico said this was going to have "2D hardware" inside and thus would be able to do "2D" better than current GPUs, but when pressed as to what "2D hardware" was and how it could possible do "2D" better than modern video cards that have the ability to arbitrarily plot pixels, he'd ignore your question?

Also him pointing to the struggles StudioMDHR had in using Unity to make Cuphead as an example of why their tools would make it easier to build 2D games on Amico vs other platforms.

"90%" of these Amico games are running in Unity...

*Also, I'm not sure why Tallarico thinks I twisted that 2d comment for the writeup I did. Dualshockers was there on-site for the reveal and had the exact same impression from his talk as I, and others, did via the stream.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

That was my first thought when seeing that screen.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
there's a heart in the logo and amico means friend

anyone not preordering this have no love in their lives nor friends