• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
On Kindafunny Nolan North shared a bunch of information

-He was a playable character, Amy Henning asked for him personally
- Multiple playable Characters, gave example that certain planets you would play a different character
- Was going to be a trilogy, had the outline for the first two games (stated it was going to be his role for a decade like uncharted)
- He was a bounty hunter who was more rough/ had set morals like nathan drake
- Was 4-6 months into motion capture before cancelled
- Said that was uncommon for a game to be cancelled after starting motion capture
- Said cast was amazing and some big names

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
On Kindafunny Nolan North shared a bunch of information

-He was a playable character
- Multiple playable Characters
- Was going to be a trilogy (stated it was going to be his role for a decade like uncharted)
- He was a bounty hunter who was more rough/ had set morals nathan drake
- Was 4-6 months into motion capture before cancelled
- Said that was uncommon for a game to be cancelled after starting motion capture
- Said cast was amazing and some big names

I've always wondered what Nolan's North tweet was about. To finally know, and to know that it was for a Star Wars game, is INSANE. Thanks for pulling this out from the podcast and posting it on Era.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This is one of the big losses of this generation imo. This could have been huge for Star Wars but I still firmly believe EA couldn't see a way to implement long term monetization into a single player/story focused game. This was also cancelled a good while before Fallen Order but I think Ragtag could have really had a great place in the Star Wars Mythos along side that game and Squadrons.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was always curious what that tweet about a role lasting a decade was about.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
A couple years back, Nolan North tweeted something to the effect of "Just landed my next big role for the next decade" (can't find it now, but I remember the Gaf thread). People were trying to figure out exactly what he meant, and for a while, when a new Nolan North game came out, people would post something to the effect of "is this the project he was tweeting about?" For some reason, that's always stuck with me, and I've always wondered what it was.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
A couple years back, Nolan North tweeted something to the effect of "Just landed my next big role for the next decade" (can't find it now, but I remember the Gaf thread). People were trying to figure out exactly what he meant, and for a while, when a new Nolan North game came out, people would post something to the effect of "is this the project he was tweeting about?" For some reason, that's always stuck with me, and I've always wondered what it was.

Oh, thanks, didn't know.

Yeah that's clearly it

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
There must be a big story as to why it got cancelled that late into development. And not just "lol EA doesn't like single player games". *looks at Fallen Order*

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
There must be a big story as to why it got cancelled that late into development. And not just "lol EA doesn't like single player games". *looks at Fallen Order*

Well, it's either because of EA or because of Disney and their stupid "everything has to be canon" rule. The latter almost cancelled Fallen Order, as well.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
According to all accounts, that game never made it past the early prototype/ preproduction stage. Team was always small, and scope and direction of the game was constantly changing. It was a mess. Probably the most amount of actual work done on the game was his motion capture lol.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
g10xbsnyzlhoxm0k9bwd.png

Wonder which one was Nolan North/s
I've totally forgotten at this point; why was this cancelled again?
kotaku.com

The Collapse Of Visceral's Ambitious Star Wars Game

It seemed like a surefire hit: a Star Wars take on Uncharted, published by Electronic Arts and developed by the longrunning studio Visceral Games. But nothing is sure in the video game industry, and on October 17, 2017, when employees of Visceral were told that the company would be closing, some...

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sad to hear. Would've LOVED to play this game.

Still holding out for a big meaty Star Wars RPG. More Star Wars games overall please, EA. I'd take a couple a year easily like back in the early 00's.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I've totally forgotten at this point; why was this cancelled again?
"Top Men" at EA had some weird delusions that single player games were dead. Then BF2 happened and a year later God of War, Spider-Man and RDR2 are battling it out for GOTY while also being crazy sellers. A year later they release Jedi Fallen Order and the rest is history. Guess their narrative changed 🙄

In reality though, it was just unfortunate development woes inside Visceral (blame EA/BF Hardline) and EA not being happy with the current demo of the project.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
This is also fairly new, dev impressions about that project

I'm still sad about this and 1313 cancellation.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
When did they cancel this game? I remember the initial announcement of an Amy Hennig Star Wars game, but I guess I never saw the news that it was cancelled. What a shame.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
g10xbsnyzlhoxm0k9bwd.png

Wonder which one was Nolan North/s

kotaku.com

The Collapse Of Visceral's Ambitious Star Wars Game

It seemed like a surefire hit: a Star Wars take on Uncharted, published by Electronic Arts and developed by the longrunning studio Visceral Games. But nothing is sure in the video game industry, and on October 17, 2017, when employees of Visceral were told that the company would be closing, some...
Great article. Too bad most people won't read it because they only came into this thread to say EA is solely responsible in some evil way. By this article, it seems like the studio was poorly run and that the game was financially bloated.

We also have to stop this thing where EVERY game that is canceled is assumed to be a GOTY masterpiece.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
You have Nolan North prepping for his "role for the next 10 years" akin to Uncharted and then can the entire thing... truly shocking and a testament to either a horrible decision or just a mess in production - potentially both?

Either way.... bummer.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many characters were voiced by Nolan North, Troy Baker and Laura Bailey?
I don't think Amy would've cast Troy necessarily. In fact, I'd bet she would've called Todd Stashwick instead, who was coewriting the game with her IIRC and was originally slated to play Sam Drake.

Last edited:

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Great article. Too bad most people won't read it because they only came into this thread to say EA is solely responsible in some evil way. By this article, it seems like the studio was poorly run and that the game was financially bloated.

We also have to stop this thing where EVERY game that is canceled is assumed to be a GOTY masterpiece.

nah. it's just an extension of that long-revered tradition, according to which the biggest fish is always 'the one that got away'...

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
You have Nolan North prepping for his "role for the next 10 years" akin to Uncharted and then can the entire thing... truly shocking and a testament to either a horrible decision or just a mess in production - potentially both?

Either way.... bummer.

Going by the article, even the staff remaining think EA took too long stepping in. At the same time, EA caused a lot of damage by forcing Visceral to develop Battlefield Hardline after Dead Space 3 failed to meet expectations. The studio never seemed to recover from how much people on that team hated the project, with many of them leaving during the development.