• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Pre-ordered mine, got the ones with colored joy-cons and I just got an email telling me that edition has been delayed a few days... Well that sucks!

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Checked all GameStop stores around me and found exactly one with the new Switch available - 10 minutes drive from work. Finally, I'm a proud new Switch owner (please hand me the gif). Display seems fine, no dead pixels <3

uQrqdCw.gif

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe Switch revision hits Amazon Germany and... Gray is sold out. I got full set of blue and red joy-con so don't want Neon. Fuuuuck.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Probably won't be posting much sock updates as I got my switch lol.

For UK posters :

Seems like argos, amazon UK and Smyth toys still don't have it listed yet. Seems like Game UK no longer has a listing for it either so guess it sold out. Check your local store I guess.

Shopto has sold out of the New Switch stock.

The game collection now says its in stock (grey is available for dispatch now, neon is in stock but says 30th - I'm guessing they will update the neon listing now?)

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got mine today and it's a bit better than my previous two Switches (one launch and one I bought a year ago) in that the joycons sits really tight compared to the others.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Finally got mine.

Just a question, is there a way to download all the data from the cloud to the console at once or do I have to do it one by one?

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Just Got the new Switch, pro controller, Terraria and Breath of the wild. Fire emblem is out of stock lol. Any tips for a new owner?

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got mine.

Just a question, is there a way to download all the data from the cloud to the console at once or do I have to do it one by one?
I traded-in my day one to get the new one, even got a bonus on the trade-in.
You can get all your profile info back from the cloud but you have to download manually your saves for each game.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm almost tempted despite the fear of the scanlines and artifacts that people are mentioning to get the new one and save my old one for hacks or just in case. I know I have a grace period to refund it but I remember being super put off back in the day when I got the PSP2 or whatever it was and the scanline/screen being different never really stopped bugging me.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Are there pictures or videos of the scanline/artifact issue? All I can find is screen temperature comparisons. I'm picking my new one up on Friday and I'm going to check it in the store on temperature and other issues, so I'd like to know what I should look for.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap! I thought the scanline issue was just me! I was actually just thinking about sending my new Switch into Nintendo! The screen temperature is otherwise perfect.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap! I thought the scanline issue was just me! I was actually just thinking about sending my new Switch into Nintendo! The screen temperature is otherwise perfect.

I'm not sure it's an "issue", just s physical reality of how the screens are made now. I've got three launch Switches that don't have it, two Switches bought last year that *do*, and then I've tried numerous New Switches that all have visible lines between pixels rows. I think at some point they Switched to a different type of display even before New Switch and it's just physically different. Perhaps as a response to the ghosting issue NES games had with the CRT filter? Unless anyone actually has a New Switch without them?

It's unfortunate mostly because it succeeds at making the screen feel even lower resolution than it is - without them you can easily kind of just forget that is just 720p

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Went ahead and got one today to replace my launch unit. That launch unit will get traded in next week and used toward a Lite.

Super early impressions are everything feels about the same. The kickstand has a bit more grippiness to it. The joysticks feel a TINY bit tighter, but that might be placebo. Battery seems better; but it's still not GREAT. I burned through 13% in 30 minutes of FE at 80% brightness. Better than what I was getting before, but not by much. That said, we'll see what a couple cycles does for me.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I have the feeling that my Switch only has the scanline thing for a very short time after waking it from sleep and even then you have to look for it to even notice. It goes away shortly after that and then the screen looks great to me. I will keep my unit for sure and am glad I upgraded from my cold screen.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I would suggest getting a screen protector and carrying case as well. Perhaps a micro SD card for increased storage to download a bunch more games?

Thank you. I'm also planning on Getting the Hori Left Joycon for the Dpad. Honestly... I think switch is kinda costly compared to other consoles with all the accessories you need to buy for convenience.

Do I still have to worry about the unit being scratched when docking it? Is the screen protector good enough for that?

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Thank you. I'm also planning on Getting the Hori Left Joycon for the Dpad. Honestly... I think switch is kinda costly compared to other consoles with all the accessories you need to buy for convenience.

Do I still have to worry about the unit being scratched when docking it? Is the screen protector good enough for that?

It really is .. a reason why I'm waiting for Black Friday to buy additional stuff like an USB C cable and the micro SD card. But the essentials for me were a good screen protector and a bag. Got a nice grey one from Amazon.

My first days as a new Switch owner have been a blast. I'm quite busy with work and the kids at home, so I've got small windows of time where I can play. Bought Diablo 3 (third dip as I own it already on PS3 and PS4; bummer that the Switch can't connect to battlenet to implement my paragon mage) and it's sooo good to play this on the couch while my wife's watching her tv shows. I'm only playing on handheld so the improved battery life was the reason I couldn't wait for the lite.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
My first days as a new Switch owner have been a blast. I'm quite busy with work and the kids at home, so I've got small windows of time where I can play. Bought Diablo 3 (third dip as I own it already on PS3 and PS4; bummer that the Switch can't connect to battlenet to implement my paragon mage) and it's sooo good to play this on the couch while my wife's watching her tv shows. I'm only playing on handheld so the improved battery life was the reason I couldn't wait for the lite.

Wow... hmm I might get Diablo 3 then.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
ae46c8fb-5dc7-4986-am2ksi.jpeg

Got one! :)

It feels way more sturdy than the day 1 vanilla Switch. (Which I sold a year ago)

I got Mario Maker 2 for now which should keep me busy until LM3

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Received mine yesterday. Battery life seems very good, no dead pixels or issues with the screen, both joycons wobble a little bit when attached but nothing concerning.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever

The horii Dpad is a good one, I seriously considered getting it but honestly I kind of like the button Dpad on joycons. Bugged me at first then I got used to it. Still, if they release an official Dpad joycon with all tech features included I would probably buy. Also: for sure the Switch can be costly. I got kind of addicted to purchases for it. Ended up getting two cases, one for 25$ and one for 80$, and got a 128 GB card before upgrading to 400GB, ethernet adapter and more. Never bought so many digital games for a system but the Switch re-ignited my passion for gaming like nothing else.

I don't know about current model dock scratching. Mine is a launch unit and for the first year I put a napkin over the dock scratch area for extra protection. Now I don't do that and it's still in perfect condition.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
To those getting new Switches, just a PSA on getting Ethernet adaptors (since I too got one). Having it connected to the dock heats up your Switch, which means it makes the Switch keep on running even when it's asleep. I'd recommend unplugging your ethernet cable from the adaptor when not playing

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Got mine, thankfully screen is OK.

I just noticed a new logo on the back of the unit, anyone knows what it's all about ? (new unit on top)

On the other note, I now have to find a jig for my launch unit to install some emulators... hope I can find a good tutorial.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the feeling that my Switch only has the scanline thing for a very short time after waking it from sleep and even then you have to look for it to even notice. It goes away shortly after that and then the screen looks great to me. I will keep my unit for sure and am glad I upgraded from my cold screen.
Im just reading about that scan line
First I posted a lot about my too warm screen
I used to love cold-blueish. But after I downloaded this program and check color temperature is much better on my new switch I adaptated
So much that one year ago I manually changed the color on my iPhone settings to be colder with more blue and no I can't stand anymore went back to normal warmer settings. I guess it's just a matter of adaptation.
Anyway. I'm noticing these « lines » even when just scrolling menu. Only when I don't look for them. They're not so intrusive to disturb. And seems to fad over time.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

I just noticed a new logo on the back of the unit, anyone knows what it's all about ? (new unit on top)

Most likely a certification logo from IC/ FCB .

Could you post a photo, I don't see it on my new Switch nor noticed it on any of my older models.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Mine's getting delivered in a few hours.
Sold my launch Switch for a decent amount on Monday, so only have to pay 30 euro to get the new one.

It's been a long week. Was in the middle of Fire Emblem and am surprised to see how much I miss my Switch even though it's only been 5 days.

Having the same excitement as launch day today.

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Wow... hmm I might get Diablo 3 then.
it's probably not for everyone, but I love this game. Eshop has it listed for full price, but Gamestop had it for around 35€. I wanted to go full digital, though I knew I've had to wait for a SD-Card sale. Charged the switch over night to 100%, played around 30 minutes in the morning before work and left the Switch on Standby. Battery in the evening was at 87%. Played two Netflix episodes (45min. each) and the battery shows around 47%. For an untrained battery quite good, the old model would probably be dead by now.

Speaking of standby: Are there any experiences how long a, lets say 100% charged, Switch lasts on Standby? I'm coming from the PS Vita and that little monster had a hell of a standby time.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the general consensus on how durable the joy-cons feel when attached to the console now? Do they still wobble a lot or do they fit a lot tighter?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

On the other note, I now have to find a jig for my launch unit to install some emulators... hope I can find a good tutorial.
Did you buy an Asian Switch? That appears to be the South Korean KC Mark to show compliance for local power supply standards.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My screen isn't overly warm and I can't see any other issues with it at least.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Could you post a photo, I don't see it on my new Switch nor noticed it on any of my older models.
It would be almost impossible to capture in a photo. It's like sudden split second scanlines appear or resolution drops suddenly in motion over moving elements, then disappear.

It reminds me a lot of the issues Sony introduced with the PSP-3000 screens.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure it's an "issue", just s physical reality of how the screens are made now. I've got three launch Switches that don't have it, two Switches bought last year that *do*, and then I've tried numerous New Switches that all have visible lines between pixels rows. I think at some point they Switched to a different type of display even before New Switch and it's just physically different. Perhaps as a response to the ghosting issue NES games had with the CRT filter? Unless anyone actually has a New Switch without them?

It's unfortunate mostly because it succeeds at making the screen feel even lower resolution than it is - without them you can easily kind of just forget that is just 720p
Can someone capture this in a picture? I'd love to see a visual comparison.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone capture this in a picture? I'd love to see a visual comparison.

It's *very* difficult to capture in a picture or even a video, but really obvious in person. From the few Macro shots I could get, it looks like the ones that look like they have "scanlines" / newer units have a slightly different subpixel arrangement, but someone who can take better macro pictures should have a better opinion. Essentially it looks like there's slightly more gap between pixel rows in motion (which you get used too quickly as long as you're not constantly switching back to a nicer screen). Trying to get the same macro shot on two different screens using a phone is a nightmare though for comparison.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to get the new one, I can trade my old one in for 75 euros which isn't too bad.

But this screen talk is making me doubt, what is the consensus so far?

I'm not necessarily opposed to a warmer screen(it's better for your eyes anyway), but the scan line stuff sounds ugly.

Also saw people claiming that the youtube video with the two dudes testing the screen for temperature is flawed.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm tempted to get the new one, I can trade my old one in for 75 euros which isn't too bad.

But this screen talk is making me doubt, what is the consensus so far?

I'm not necessarily opposed to a warmer screen(it's better for your eyes anyway), but the scan line stuff sounds ugly.

Also saw people claiming that the youtube video with the two dudes testing the screen for temperature is flawed.

I bought 3 Switches since I was concerned about screen quality (since I switched OP Switches varied heavily, settled the Odyssey edition).
In the end all we're better than my Odyssey Switch which I reckon to have the best screens.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So fucking sad I bought the Super Mario Bros Switch for £299, now you can get Astral Chain for the same price :(((((((

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Kv9TuZX.jpg

Got the Switch 2019 model, and I'm super disappointed with the screen. Notice the white rectangle with rounded corners that goes along the edges of the screen? Not a reflection, that's the backlight. It also has a really strong screen door effect going on. Looks laughable compared to my launch unit.