• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo finally catching up to Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3 generation standards by smearing a piss filter over everything.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
^ this. Now when I see a cool calibrated screen, everything looks awful to me.

No matter how much people say "warm is accurate" we all want the cold blue LOL. It just sounds better. Even if it isn't.

Anyways isn't it just RNG? That Erika girl on YT bought two new switches and one was colder one warmer.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Shame to hear screen lottery is still a thing. The "scanlines" / voltage inversion issue was one of my main gripes with the original console's screen, subtle as it was.

Came across a video on Youtube that claims wi-fi speeds are better on his new Switch than the old, unfortunately he doesn't go into any real detail on his testing procedure or signal strength.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Pictures are misleading
after i see your post I go check mine to see if I'm crazy. I do a picture and I'm like oh not so yellow anymore

Then I go take my og switch and check side by side and the whole pictures seems different

Yep. That's the same switch v2 in both picture.
Anyway it doesn't bother me much now.

Put a sheet of white paper behind both switches. Go to daylight or a light with 6500k then place the white balance measuring point on the white paper. That would lead to a better comparison picture.

WTF is Nintendo doing with their hardware?

I remember when the switch was out of stock and they shipped the newly produces via plane instead of vessels. That also ended up having a lot of screen where the glue hasn't fully dried. I quess it's a bit the same here with the bad examples. My Mario Odyssey Switch looks absolutely lovely now but I remember it had a tind of yellow/red when I got it.

Amazon Germany said yesterday i'll receive my new switch on Thursday now it'll be delivered today nice :)

Same for me, switched from Saturday to Thursday and this morning to today.
Now I just hope the screen will not disappoint.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
So assuming that I wouldn't be able to get a Switch before my flight to Japan on 31st, I went and ordered an Oculus Quest for portable entertainment instead.

Now reading here that the new Switch is available on Amazon Germany (and can apparently be delivered to me by Tuesday), I've ended up ordering one!

Ah well, I guess I won't be getting bored on my 11 hour flight! :D

EDIT: Any essential accessories that I should know about? I haven't even ordered any games yet, but figured I'll just pick some up a day or two before my flight (Super Mario Odyssey is the big one that I really want).

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
WTF is Nintendo doing with their hardware? Have they just gone into full cost saving/cheap arse mode with this garbage?
What a well thought out response to clearly selective hardware issues. We've seen issues with the screen tint before, and typically it disappears after awhile. Though would you argue the same for any TV that could also experience the same issue?

theperrin

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see that it's popping up in mainland Europe now, hopefully it won't be long until it pops up in the UK. I keep checking the websites of brick and mortar stores (Game, Argos, Smyths) but none have it listed yet. Hopefully soon!

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Not looking particularly hopeful for stock to be available by the end of the week in the UK

Smyths toys also don't know, but it's been suggested stores won't receive new units until they've sold through the old stock.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
it also has a better screen

Old Switch Moddel max brightness: 291 Nits
New Switch Model max brightnesst: 318 Nits
Old Switch colour temp: 7200 Kelvin more blueish
New Switch colour temp: 6757 Kelvin warmer picture therefore more colour accurate
Is this true? I heard there was no difference...well noticeable difference.

Feb 10, 2018
Going by what Erica Griffin said, Nintendo still has some serious quality control issues with the Nintendo Switch revision, which is definitely very concerning.

Well that settles it then, my 2017 switch has slightly warmer colours then my phone but its not a negative and has no issues.

I hardly ever play undocked and if I do there will a plug socket or a power bank near by. Also I don't want to have to go through screen protector malarkey and having to spend more money.

However I wonder how serious the issues Erica has found are, the scan lines and artifacts sound bad but the colour temps are not much of an issue unless you multiple switches and want colour consistency.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Yeah I'll wait a few days for reports on how severe are these effects... Nintendo is on a roll of quality control issues these days

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Going by what Erica Griffin said, Nintendo still has some serious quality control issues with the Nintendo Switch revision, which is definitely very concerning.

Do the old models have this much screen lottery? If not i might take advantage of the crazy discounts and buy a older one instead.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
This fear-mongering reminds me of the launch of the original Switch model when a lot of people kept linking that infamous crowbcat youtube video where it looked liked all of the Switch units were faulty. Of course there will be faulty models but it's not like it wasn't happening with the old Switch model either in the last two and half years. It sucks if you get one but then simply return it and get a new one.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This fear-mongering reminds me of the launch of the original Switch model when a lot of people kept linking that infamous crowbcat youtube video where it looked liked all of the Switch units were faulty. Of course there will be faulty models but it's not like it wasn't happening with the old Switch model either in the last two and half years. It sucks if you get one but then simply return it and get a new one.
I don't know if it's faulty. It's just a bit different. But nothing major. It doesn't bother me

Oct 25, 2017
México
So assuming that I wouldn't be able to get a Switch before my flight to Japan on 31st, I went and ordered an Oculus Quest for portable entertainment instead.

Now reading here that the new Switch is available on Amazon Germany (and can apparently be delivered to me by Tuesday), I've ended up ordering one!

Ah well, I guess I won't be getting bored on my 11 hour flight! :D

EDIT: Any essential accessories that I should know about? I haven't even ordered any games yet, but figured I'll just pick some up a day or two before my flight (Super Mario Odyssey is the big one that I really want).
The only essential accessories would be a glass screen protector (I installed the screen protector before turning on the console for the first time) and a travel case.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
Since that model is stronger and consume less battery, Nintendo needs to allow a option to run the dock mode configuration on portable mode.

That alone will make wonders for a lot of games, like Yoshi and Xenoblade 2.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Battery life is dramatically better in handheld on v2 switch over OG. Nearly double for the most demanding games. The system runs cooler and uses less power draw also as a result of a more efficient node (from 20nm to 16finfet/12nm).

If you plan on playing handheld a lot or at least a decent amount, definitely get the revised switch. It's worth the retail price.

I'd be wary about buying systems on eBay too. Check their recent feedback on ebay. I've gotten burned on eBay way too many times, including on games. I would not buy a used switch for that price unless you exclusively play on docked.

There is a slight possibility that v2 switch could get a higher profile upclocks for better performance. Its certainly capable, but don't get your hopes up.

If you are going to play docked like 80-90% of the time and you can get it for 100 cheaper on the OG switch vs switch v2, then it might be worth getting the OG Switch, if it's brand new.
Was it confirmed somewhere that the new processor is 12nm?

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo could at least curb the screen lottery if they allowed calibration controls. IDK, what fixes the scan line stuff though. So glad I'm only planning on using it in docked mode.

Gary

Oct 30, 2017
NI
Anyone found any information on when Japan will see it? I've checked the Nintendo website which just says late August, but that's all I've been able to find.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland release for the revision appears to be September 6th according to my local Gamestop.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I see the new Switch isn't free from the dreaded Nintendo screen lottery. Such a shame for those who play mostly on handheld mode. I wonder how bad this will be with the mini, it'll be the 3DS all over again.
I'm gonna check my Switch screen just in case because I never paid attention to it and I hardly play in handheld mode.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Do you folks think that the OG launch Switch is going to have value and to hold onto it? I just got the revised one and am now considering if I should save it as the original hardware had that vulnerability I think, or if I should just trade it in towards other games and such.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32442

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
Amazon germany delivered the new one setting it up right now

qyrCZm8.jpg

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Pictures are misleading
after i see your post I go check mine to see if I'm crazy. I do a picture and I'm like oh not so yellow anymore

5-FD9-CF58-C73-E-43-CA-AD8-B-DC40-EAE6-A0-BE.jpg

Then I go take my og switch and check side by side and the whole pictures seems different

8-DF16-DD8-1-EAF-4-E84-8839-5-C8-DC52-E0-D36.jpg

Yep. That's the same switch v2 in both picture.
Anyway it doesn't bother me much now.
I'd take the screen on the bottom every single time. Top screen is pink.

^ this. Now when I see a cool calibrated screen, everything looks awful to me.

That's because cool screens are inaccurate and awful. Not to mention bad on the eyes.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, probably going to skip this one and get the Switch Lite instead. Don't really care that much about TV connectivity, and at least the Lite has a 100% chance of not having Joy-Con wobble. And with the 100€ that I will save, I can already buy 2 games.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Digital Foundry has posted their return of the Mac. I.e. Hac 001-01 review.

youtu.be

The New Nintendo Switch Review: 'Mariko' Tegra X1 Tested In Depth!

Same old Switch, brand new Tegra X1 processor? We've imported a new Nintendo Switch from Hong Kong, containing the all-important Mariko processor update. It'...

Nice. The chip node still isn't confirmed yetz but they think it's 16nmfinFET