• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
In Purah's journal, it's illustrated that she became more childish as the de-aging brought her down to a teenager and eventually a child, but she could very easily retain catchphrases and quirks as her adult self since we've never actually seen her as an adult.
Purah was probably only in her 20s at this time.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aww man. She was bad enough as a 7 year old. Doing the same thing as a roughly 27 year old would just be..... ugh.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Aww man. She was bad enough as a 7 year old. Doing the same thing as a roughly 27 year old would just be..... ugh.
If any character will be fetishized or waifu-fied, it will be Purah. Idol poses and trendy dresses and cute glasses. I'm ready for this predictable outcome, but I suspect there will be a noisy conversation here at that time, lol.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My expectations are:

- Link
- Zelda
- Impa
- Champions
- MAYBE the King

And that's it. I know "bu bu musou always has 400 characters" but this is a pretty new kind of partnership project here, not a "festival" game, I expect a tight cast. But I wouldn't be surprised if Link had like ten movesets based around the varous BotW weapon types. I'm not sure how easily that variety applies to the rest of the cast but I guess we'll see.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I don't wanna get my expectations outta whack out the gate.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that Paya was basically that trope, its not a leap for people to think that.
I imagine we'll see some shared quirks to show the relation, but not too many. Paya was frightened by a light breeze and felt the most she could do to help Link was pray. Impa, on the other hand, survives the apocalypse, fights alongside Link, coordinates his resurrection and becomes chief of her tribe. Not a bad résumé.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Considering that Paya was basically that trope, its not a leap for people to think that.
Impa and Paya are two different characters. The extent of the interactions we have with Paya illustrate that she acts as Impa's chamberlain and is extremely bashful around Link specifically. There's never an instance of her tripping or otherwise being clumsy.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
My expectations are:

- Link
- Zelda
- Impa
- Champions
- MAYBE the King

And that's it. I know "bu bu musou always has 400 characters" but this is a pretty new kind of partnership project here, not a "festival" game, I expect a tight cast. But I wouldn't be surprised if Link had like ten movesets based around the varous BotW weapon types. I'm not sure how easily that variety applies to the rest of the cast but I guess we'll see.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I don't wanna get my expectations outta whack out the gate.
I am also thinking this will be a tight cast, with greater mechanical complexity for a richer gameplay experience.

I am conservatively thinking the King and/or Purah are most likely beyond the current cast.

Anything beyond them is up in the air, and I'm not counting on it, though I would welcome it.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Impa looks fantastic, the world looks fantastic, gameplay looks engaging, I still can't believe this is real. I hope musou will click with me.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, we are talking about her:

IontBq7_d.webp

If you think thats the same as Paya, then you didnt play botw

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
But I wouldn't be surprised if Link had like ten movesets based around the varous BotW weapon types.
I don't think the weapon variety in BotW would be so good for this

there are really only, like, three or four types of weapon in BotW, especially since we've already seen how this game is handling Rods

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Purah will inevitably play a major role in cutscenes if nothing else. She is mentioned all throughout Making A Champion. If they're going to give her a younger design, it would be odd to pass her up as a playable character. She could wield the Ancient Tech weaponry. Granted, so could Robbie, who actually makes said weaponry.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A good number of Link's DLC weapons were gimmicks or jokes that made sense for HW1 but would have a harder time fitting in Age of Calamity. The spinner and the Great Fairy probably aren't coming back.

Though I really want to know what the Great Fairies are doing in AOC.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Impa and Paya are two different characters. The extent of the interactions we have with Paya illustrate that she acts as Impa's chamberlain and is extremely bashful around Link specifically. There's never an instance of her tripping or otherwise being clumsy.
No Paya doesn't trip but she does act like the insecure anime waifu type character.

Like she definitely doesn't get embarrassed when she sees Link or anything, or she definitely doesn't have a birthmark on her butt, or she definitely doesn't write about him in he diary or anything like that.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
i'm sure they'll still fit some of the weird weird or jokey stuff outside of the main campaign either through dlc or some other mode

Oct 27, 2017
No Paya doesn't trip but she does act like the insecure anime waifu type character.

Like she definitely doesn't get embarrassed when she sees Link or anything, or she definitely doesn't have a birthmark on her butt, or she definitely doesn't write about him in he diary or anything like that.

Well considering Impa and Paya act differently in BOTW it's safe to say Impa will keep acting differently in this game

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come to think of it was being clumsy even a thing for Paya?

Maybe I'm forgetting something but she just came across as really shy which isn't something I'm getting from Impa.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Come to think of it was being clumsy even a thing for Paya?

Maybe I'm forgetting something but she just came across as really shy which isn't something I'm getting from Impa.
I don't think it matters at this point. No matter what else she does if one trip defines her prior to the release any misstep will define her in the game contrary to the rest of her character development regardless of trope useage. That much is clear. That's why it's kinda pointless to even discuss any more lol.

The people who have made their decision on the character will use literally all contradictions against her, regardless of how it plays out and regardless of tropes not being a negative thing on their own.

She could be one of the best written characters in the game but if she blushes once in Link's presence we're never going to hear the end of it :P

Oh damn, I forgot about Kilton, he would make for an amazing joke character
Now I really want old man Manta to be playable.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My expectations are:

- Link
- Zelda
- Impa
- Champions
- MAYBE the King

Are we not expecting any playable villains this time through?

Hyrule Warriors had 8, 9 if you count Tingle...

I wouldn't be surprised if we actually get some cool villains again this time. Especially since we didn't get the classic dungeons bosses like before. It'd be cool to see them used as army leaders this time around.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if we actually get some cool villains again this time. Especially since we didn't get the classic dungeons bosses like before. It'd be cool to see them used as army leaders this time around.

I'd love to play as just a straight up Guardian tbh.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't expect more then the Yiga leader but a playable Lynel would be awesome.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

They're still different characters and I would not go in expecting Impa to be a clone of Paya's personality.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I don't expect more then the Yiga leader but a playable Lynel would be awesome.

My hope is that Nintendo and Koei get to work together to create a character that's a true rival and antagonistic foil for Link. The various Blights are going to be the ones to take out the Champions, but I love the idea that Ganon crafted something (or someone?) "special" to take out the Hero, as well. In other words, this game needs a "Lu Bu" that's a true terror on the battlefield, and even the Master Sword isn't enough to give Link much of an edge against them. Obviously, Link has to still be able to triumph against them in the end. But doing such should be at such a cost, it's understandable why he's nearly finished off, and then the remaining gang have to lay him down for his magic puddle nap for 100 years!

Koei's not going to have a better chance to craft a character that truly leaves a lasting mark on the franchise. So, I'm hoping for the best!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, HW1 had tons of characters...?

Sure, but it was that "festival" game, a non-canon celebration of the whole Zelda history. This is a canon story about a specific period of time featuring established characters. I dunno if "two more sheikah" makes for a particularly worthwhile cast, and I can't imagine them making botw-visually-styled versions of non-botw characters for side modes or anything. This feels more like a special kind of "zelda game, but a musou" vs Hyrule Warrior's "musou game, with zelda" approach.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My expectations are:

- Link
- Zelda
- Impa
- Champions
- MAYBE the King

Chill out~

HW1 base was 16(including a free update a month after launch making the 3 original villains playable). 6 of those being villains
Currently AOC has 7. We have 4 more known heroes that are completely possible, being King Rhoam(mentioned in PR), King Dorephan(who was active at the battle of Zora's domain throwing Guardians around), Purah and Robbie. We have one known villain in that era's Kohga. That puts us at 12 already which would match launch HW. Throw in 4 original characters which could totally happen, with say Kass's mentor, an original Hyrulian General and an original villain. There's also BOTW's 100 years later champions and Kass who could be a story epilogue or dlc

16 is totally possible

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
That's true. But speaking for myself, I'm anticipating fewer characters this go-around, at least where the campaign is concerned, just because the scenarios will likely revolve around mostly pre-established characters. The ones BotW mentions as playing a key role (beyond those already confirmed) are Purah, Robbie and Rhoam. Those, plus maybe some villains (i.e. the Yiga leader). Dorephan would be awesome but he doesn't appear playable in the Zora's Domain scenario we've seen, though he could fight later.

Of course, anything is possible in a Free Mode or Adventure Mode. I would love to play as Sidon and Riju in a non-canon mode. I just get the impression they're heavily focused on the campaign and making it mechanically varied (i.e. unique slate powers for each character, etc).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That's true. But speaking for myself, I'm anticipating fewer characters this go-around, at least where the campaign is concerned, just because the scenarios will likely revolve around mostly pre-established characters. The ones BotW mentions as playing a key role (beyond those already confirmed) are Purah, Robbie and Rhoam. Those, plus maybe some villains (i.e. the Yiga leader). Dorephan would be awesome but he doesn't appear playable in the Zora's Domain scenario we've seen, though he could fight later.

Of course, anything is possible in a Free Mode or Adventure Mode. I would love to play as Sidon and Riju in a non-canon mode. I just get the impression they're heavily focused on the campaign and making it mechanically varied (i.e. unique slate powers for each character, etc).
Side mode unlockable characters can show up as unplayable allies in story missions. Also just did the full breakdown above but base HW only had 16 characters. If we got some playable villains it'd be pretty easy to fill the 8 remaining slots to match that.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If they're not in the base game, I think DLC adding Riju, Sidon, Hetsu, Kilton, Beedle and Kass would be amazing.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That would be siiiiiiiiick

Its combo finishers could be Faroosh, Dinraal and Naydra. Maybe even the Great Fairies.

Basically roll all the mythical characters into LotM!
deep side plot where LotM doesn't give a fuck about anything other than his mountain and wrecks everyone looking at it sideways but peaces out of the other battles cause they're not ...on his mountain :)

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Link, Zelda, Impa and Robbie should all be somewhere between 15-18 when this game starts. Purah should be 22ish. Mipha is clearly a peer, but Zora aging makes that weird.

according to Creating a Champion Link and Paya are both between 18-20 years old, so I imagine Impa is the same here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
All of this Sheikah ninjitsu is HECKIN' RAD

I wish I could create an army of Shadow Neiteio irl

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My expectations are:

- Link
- Zelda
- Impa
- Champions
- MAYBE the King

I imagine we'll get a couple of deeper cut characters to expand the roster, even if they're not really in the story mode. That being said, I agree with you about the likelihood of multiple Link play styles. I imagine Zelda might be similar.

Apr 21, 2018
My expectations are:

- Link
- Zelda
- Impa
- Champions
- MAYBE the King

I don't see why villains won't be playable. How fun would be to play as a big Bokoblin or Lizalfos, or even Ganon?

I think DLC is very possible too. The first few showings of Hyrule Warriors 1 we barely saw any playable characters outside of Link IIRC.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Lord

of

the

Mountain

edit: with an army of Bluepees
That would be siiiiiiiiick

Its combo finishers could be Faroosh, Dinraal and Naydra. Maybe even the Great Fairies.

Basically roll all the mythical characters into LotM!
yeah this would actually be sick lol.

They were all around 100 years ago right? Just doing their thing. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see them appear, even if not playable

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I would be genuinely surprised if the game doesn't have playable villains. I feel like they're still holding a lot of info on modes and characters back since they still have a month and a half left of hype and marketing to go.