• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that everyone has their own unique Sheikah slate abilities really makes me wonder what Zelda's moveset will be like.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know where abouts on the map the second day stage is? I thought it might be the Ridgelands near the Breach of Demise based on the geography
I think you're right. That long horizontal rock in the distance looks familiar - somewhere from the frontier, I reckon. Maybe a mission heading to Rito Village? The diagonal spires, meanwhile, suggest it's near the Breach of Demise. I might boot up BotW to see of I can find it.

think that's a hidden kurok plant

I'm currently at like 650+ seeds in BotW. Here's hoping they add another 900, I love Koroks, lol.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The fact that everyone has their own unique Sheikah slate abilities really makes me wonder what Zelda's moveset will be like.
Yeah, it's curious. I thought and expanded version of the Sheikah Slate would be Zelda's moveset before she awakens her powers, but that wouldn't really stand out if everyone has their own unique ways of utilizing it (which is great, by the way).

Incidentally, this is what we've seen so far when it comes to everyone using the Sheikah Slate:

Link
-Bomb Rune has Link toss out up to 4 bombs that he can individually aim.
-Cryonis has Link use the block of ice as a catapult that allows him to do aerial attacks and even fly around with the Paraglider.
-Magnesis has Link gather up metal objects in front of him into a huge ball of energy which shocks nearby enemies.
-Stasis allows Link to freeze enemies and act freely afterwards.

Impa
-Bomb Rune has Impa utilize the bomb as a firework.
-Cryonis has Impa riding around on it for a brief period of time, allowing her to barrel into enemies.
-Magnesis has Impa collected metal objects into a makeshift hammer she holds above her head, which she then swings around.
-With Stasis, Impa freezes enemies then attacks into them with a rapid series of strikes.

Daruk
-When using the Bomb Rune, Daruk summons a giant bomb, which explodes into many smaller bombs when thrown.
-Cryonis has Daruk launch himself into the air where he then slams down on the ground.
-Magnesis has Daruk rolling in place while he uses the magnetism to gather metal objects and strike multiple times.
-Stasis wasn't shown off for Daruk. :<

I'm seriously super interested in seeing what other characters can do with the Sheikah Slate.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The entire way her intro is framed and the way she's animated clearly puts her into tropey territory. As I said in another thread, in a vacuum this wouldn't be a problem because it could be used as just a way to build a character, but for the introduction of the first new female character it definitely falls into a stereotype that's everywhere in Japanese media.

EDIT: and it doesn't jive with her style as a playable character at all =P .
Big Tifa vibes. This was such a shock to my fiancee who'd done cosplay for years, sold art at cons, so she had seen the image of Tifa around those circles everywhere. But then when she sat down with FF7R, instead of getting this cool confident and mature brawler, Tifa is mocaped, framed, and written like this kinda insecure waify idol. It's like... wtf are you going for here?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Big Tifa vibes. This was such a shock to my fiancee who'd done cosplay for years, sold art at cons, so she had seen the image of Tifa around those circles everywhere. But then when she sat down with FF7R, instead of getting this cool confident and mature brawler, Tifa is mocaped, framed, and written like this kinda insecure waify idol. It's like... wtf are you going for here?
????????????????

I played FF7R and have zero idea where you're getting that.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Tifa was always the insecure one compared to Aerith, that's kinda the whole joke with their setup in that their personalities aren't what you'd first expect them to be.(Compilation complications nor withstanding.)

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...did you play FF7? This is a pretty pivotal point of Tifa's character arc.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Daruk
-When using the Bomb Rune, Daruk summons a giant bomb, which explodes into many smaller bombs when thrown.
-Cryonis has Daruk launch himself into the air where he then slams down on the ground.
-Magnesis has Daruk rolling in place while he uses the magnetism to gather metal objects and strike multiple times.
i believe we see Daruk using it in a trailer, seems like his version of Stasis fires off a big boulder projectile after he wacks it a few times

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
????????????????

I played FF7R and have zero idea where you're getting that.
Tifa is an adult woman who has been through some shit, owns a bar, her primary weapons are literally just her fists and her feet.

But any time she's not asked to strike an action pose in a fight, she has her hands behind her back, shoulders tucked in nearly every cutscene. The physical performance just feels like "be cute."
...did you play FF7? This is a pretty pivotal point of Tifa's character arc.
I know her deal. There's a difference between the character having internalized trauma, and the very deliberate choices to make her seem non-threatening because Square still wants to sell their female characters with a specific intent.
I mean Tifa was always the insecure one compared to Aerith, that's kinda the whole joke with their setup in that their personalities aren't what you'd first expect them to be.(Compilation complications nor withstanding.)
Except it just feels like the same limited box we see with Impa here. Her action animations she's doing all sorts of insane shit, literally doing style flourishes as she catches her hat and stuff. But this cutscene sets her up like a book keeper in over her head. It's not like the character couldn't be running away, but the physicality suggests someone who probably shouldn't be in a fight at all.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tifa is an adult woman who has been through some shit, owns a bar, her primary weapons are literally just her fists and her feet.

But any time she's not asked to strike an action pose in a fight, she has her hands behind her back, shoulders tucked in nearly every cutscene. The physical performance just feels like "be cute."

I know her deal. There's a difference between the character having internalized trauma, and the very deliberate choices to make her seem non-threatening because Square still wants to sell their female characters with a specific intent.

Except it just feels like the same limited box we see with Impa here. Her action animations she's doing all sorts of insane shit, literally doing style flourishes as she catches her hat and stuff. But this cutscene sets her up like a book keeper in over her head. It's not like the character couldn't be running away, but the physicality suggests someone who probably shouldn't be in a fight at all.
We've seen her for all of two minutes and from our(again very brief) glimpses in other cutscenes she seems to be handling herself well.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

You're reading some bizarre shit into things. Like you're actively looking for things that aren't there. Yes, Tifa owns a bar and is a skilled fighter, but she was never a take-no-prisoners mega-badass. And if anything, the remake showed more to her character by virtue of her various relationships with the other characters; particularly Aerith, whom she never had much one-on-one interaction with in the original game.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know where abouts on the map the second day stage is? I thought it might be the Ridgelands near the Breach of Demise based on the geography
I think I found it. It's the Breach of Demise. There are skull caves and water pools throughout, and there are at least three pathways on the canyon floor.

Here's my reference point — Impa near the edge of the map, where you can see a bridge (Carok Bridge), with greenery and a village beyond (also note the rock cluster on the right):

01mijtb.jpg

Here's a comparison screen I took -- keep in mind the camera is positioned differently — it was tricky to get the angle:

2020092721445200-f1c1qcjlb.jpg

And here's a closer look beyond that bridge:

2020092721450100-f1c1i6jma.jpg

2020092721452100-f1c1g4jw3.jpg

Also, you can clearly see the same types of rock:

2020092721474300-f1c1t1kgc.jpg

The map view:

2020092721500300-f1c1g3knw.jpg

The Breach of Demise is just northwest of Hyrule Castle. Perhaps they were heading through there to reach the Ridgelands and Frontier so they could recruit Revali. We do see a rogue Guardian, but that must've been occurring before Calamity Ganon since Link in this mission is not wearing his Champion's Tunic.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
You're reading some bizarre shit into things. Like you're actively looking for things that aren't there. Yes, Tifa owns a bar and is a skilled fighter, but she was never a take-no-prisoners mega-badass. And if anything, the remake showed more to her character by virtue of her various relationships with the other characters; particularly Aerith, whom she never had much one-on-one interaction with in the original game.
Where did I say anything about her not being "a character of virtue"? I'm not expecting her to spit on people walking by her, I'm saying her physical performance and reserved expressiveness doesn't match everything else going on with her character.

Nov 17, 2017
Both BotW and Making A Champion make it abundantly clear that Purah and Robbie were key players back then. I could totally see both being playable. An easy way to differentiate them from Impa would be to give them Ancient weapons and technology.
If Robbie doesn't have a combo finisher where he poses to a guitar riff then I'm not buying the game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I think I found it. It's the Breach of Demise. There are skull caves and water pools throughout, and there are at least three pathways on the canyon floor.

Here's my reference point — Impa near the edge of the map, where you can see a bridge (Carok Bridge), with greenery and a village beyond (also note the rock cluster on the right):

01mijtb.jpg

Here's a comparison screen I took -- keep in mind the camera is positioned differently — it was tricky to get the angle:

2020092721445200-f1c1qcjlb.jpg

And here's a closer look beyond that bridge:

2020092721450100-f1c1i6jma.jpg

2020092721452100-f1c1g4jw3.jpg

Also, you can clearly see the same types of rock:

2020092721474300-f1c1t1kgc.jpg

The map view:

2020092721500300-f1c1g3knw.jpg

The Breach of Demise is just northeast of Hyrule Castle. Perhaps they were heading through there to reach the Ridgelands and Frontier so they could recruit Revali. We do see a rogue Guardian, but that must've been occurring before Calamity Ganon since Link in this mission is not wearing his Champion's Tunic.

you're a legend neiteio

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Her action animations she's doing all sorts of insane shit, literally doing style flourishes as she catches her hat and stuff. But this cutscene sets her up like a book keeper in over her head.
Games with a lot of characters always produce this type of dissonance. Cause you need to make all the characters fun to play for the player, but making all the characters adhere to the same archetype is boring.

Look at how something with a super big cast like Three Houses handles this. You've got a bunch of characters (Bernie, Ignatz, Linhardt, Marianne, etc.) that narratively speaking, hate fighting or are even bad at it. But they all play roughly the same as the other characters. They're not bad at fighting mechanically speaking, only in the game's narrative.

Now Three Houses handles those characters' growth really well. Mechanically, they're always capable, but in the game's narrative, they grow into that capability. We have no idea if Age of Calamity will handle it as well. They may botch it terribly. But there's at least room for the characters to grow. This game takes place over the course of a few years. Impa is going to go from being a kid living in a country at peace, to fighting through all the rising monster threats, and ultimately surviving the Calamity. We know from BOTW that she comes out the other side changed by that experience, the same as Zelda does.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I was just rewatching the reveal trailer & the scene where they show mipha gameplay attacking a guardian seems like it's the exact same areas as where impa encounters the guardian in the gameplay demo they showed earlier today

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Warriors games before but think this looks amazing. Seemed really smart of them to leverage warriors style game to tell this part of the Zelda story. For people who have played other warriors style games, does this look about average, better or worse compared to other games in the series?

The last one piece muso added aerial combat and that definitely shows the change between the OG HW and this one. I feel that that and being able to do things like jump up on the ice and glide will make this feel really good and less stiff. I also wonder if using edited BOTW maps will allow extra effort elsewhere as they dont have to make maps from scratch. Since IIRC koei tecmo also did Three houses I would love if they had something like the monastery in this like walking around castle town.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The last one piece muso added aerial combat and that definitely shows the change between the OG HW and this one. I feel that that and being able to do things like jump up on the ice and glide will make this feel really good and less stiff. I also wonder if using edited BOTW maps will allow extra effort elsewhere as they dont have to make maps from scratch. Since IIRC koei tecmo also did Three houses I would love if they had something like the monastery in this like walking around castle town.

fodlan is three provinces to the east of hyrule, and two down from the mushroom kingdom

norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
User Banned (1 month): Trolling, dismissing concerns of sexism and objectification as outrage
It's looking better a better on each preview.

Also, Nintendo has given the outrage crowd a new topic to take on, since Xenoblade 2 has now become stale.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I'm also curious about this. Perhaps she weilds some other kind of tech, and the slate abilities are strictly used as a shared gameplay mechanic. Assuming she really is playable from the start.

EDIT: But it looked like she has a bomb super attack, so that could still point to a slate focused moveset.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The more I see of this game, the more I think I'm sold. Also I just really, really like BoTW's art style.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized we're probably going to have to fight a Lynel at some point.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also curious about this. Perhaps she weilds some other kind of tech, and the slate abilities are strictly used as a shared gameplay mechanic. Assuming she really is playable from the start.

EDIT: But it looked like she has a bomb super attack, so that could still point to a slate focused moveset.
Zelda likely fights with the slate itself. The egg Guardian seems to have unlocked its powers, and shares them with the whole party.
I just realized we're probably going to have to fight a Lynel at some point.
Yep, we see Zelda fighting the Lynel of Mount Ploymus (Shatterback Point) in the first reveal.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched gameplay because I don't wanna wear out on footage. But did they really give everyone slate abilities? Really hoped the champions would shine with fully unique movesets tbh

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched gameplay because I don't wanna wear out on footage. But did they really give everyone slate abilities? Really hoped the champions would shine with fully unique movesets tbh
Slate abilities appear to be the replacement for the subweapons in HW1. However, while everyone can access them, everyone so far uses them in unique ways.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The slate powers act as item replacement (alongside the elemental rods, which everyone can also access), and each character uses them uniquely. For example, Cryonis creates an ice block under Link that launches him into the air for aerial attacks and para-gliding, while Impa kicks the ice block to send it sliding and then sits on top of the ice block, steering it as it runs over enemies. Another example is Link using Magnesis to create an amalgamated mass of metal that he swings like a wrecking ball, while Impa uses Magnesis to stack enemy weapons together forming one super-long sword that she then brings crashing down on enemies. The rune powers also play into counters against enemy captains - for example, a Moblin might charge you with its spear but the snowflake icon may flash over its head, which is your cue to use Cryonis, for a counter where the Moblin crashes into the ice block and becomes stunned. Daruk even has a Magnesis counter where he magnetically spins an enemy's iron hammer, clobbering it with its own weapon. :)

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017

alwayshasbeen.jpg

Apr 9, 2019
If the game comes out and she reads completely differently than that cutscene, then great.
I'll be positively surprised if that happens! But seeing as even the Zelda team itself was only barely able to tiptoe around doing stuff like this I'm not exactly confident of a studio with Koei's track record in this regard =P .

The rest of the game definitely looks a lot more tastefully done even compared to the original HW, so who knows? Maybe we'll be surprised.

Awesome job. This game will be a treat with comparing locations between the two games.

(And Zelda speculation YouTubers have their work cut our for them =P ).

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Tifa in FF7R as a strong self-made business woman with a pro athlete's drive to excel as a martial artist, who at the same time was incredibly empathetic, gentle, kind, nurturing and emotionally intelligent when it came to her interactions with others.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's curious. I thought and expanded version of the Sheikah Slate would be Zelda's moveset before she awakens her powers, but that wouldn't really stand out if everyone has their own unique ways of utilizing it (which is great, by the way).

Incidentally, this is what we've seen so far when it comes to everyone using the Sheikah Slate:

Link
-Bomb Rune has Link toss out up to 4 bombs that he can individually aim.
-Cryonis has Link use the block of ice as a catapult that allows him to do aerial attacks and even fly around with the Paraglider.
-Magnesis has Link gather up metal objects in front of him into a huge ball of energy which shocks nearby enemies.
-Stasis allows Link to freeze enemies and act freely afterwards.

Impa
-Bomb Rune has Impa utilize the bomb as a firework.
-Cryonis has Impa riding around on it for a brief period of time, allowing her to barrel into enemies.
-Magnesis has Impa collected metal objects into a makeshift hammer she holds above her head, which she then swings around.
-With Stasis, Impa freezes enemies then attacks into them with a rapid series of strikes.

Daruk

I'm seriously super interested in seeing what other characters can do with the Sheikah Slate.
Daruk's Stasis was shown in the second trailer wasn't it? A punching combo using stasis and a ball of fire

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay looks fun. Impa going full Naruto should differentiate her well enough from Link, Zelda and the Champions. ^^

Bummer that they only had one new hero, though. Game is out in less than 2 months, they shouldn't be too stingy with at least the story available ones.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay looks fun. Impa going full Naruto should differentiate her well enough from Link, Zelda and the Champions. ^^

Bummer that they only had one new hero, though. Game is out in less than 2 months, they shouldn't be too stingy with at least the story available ones.
We will probably get regular updates leading to release. It's a good way to keep the hype going to right up until the day you can play it yourself.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just watched the gameplay - I've never really played any Warriors game but damn, they really nailed the audio/visual department when it comes to BotW.
Looking forward to diving back into that world.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017

What Impa and FFVIIR!Tifa potentually do have in common is extreme cutscene incompetence, which leads to frustrating dissonance in characterization between gameplay and cutscene. In FFVIIR, it was a 50/50 chance in a cutscene whether Tifa would get to be a complete goddamn badass, or a clumsy damsel in distress. (The worst moment was Tifa needing to be saved by LESILE of all people, oh my god.)

That being said, re: Tifa's characterization, she and Aerith are supposed to be subversive foils to each other. Tifa's a badass in a fight, but she's an empathetic Team Mom with insecurities and trauma. Meanwhile, Aerith is a serene flower girl in appearance, but she's very confident, and can be a bit of a snarky troll. They're both so great.

To relate the above back to Hyrule Warriors, it again really, really irritated me that Impa acted so clumsy in her introductory cutscene, especially when she's ludicrously competent in combat. She looks like a lot of fun to play as, at least.

I don't know how they'll handle Zelda, as we've mostly only seen her being protected in cutscenes this far, outside of one shot from the final battle. I don't know if Zelda's journey will be one where she grows more confident in combat over the course of the game, or whether there will be that cutscene/gameplay dissonance throughout. Sigh.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
you're a legend neiteio

totally!
and I have to admit that I'm LOVING to see all these map references.
I know that some one can see these as recycle, me: I'm looking at these with excitement, because I loved that Hyrule and being able to re-visit it with so different genre/pace and landscape situations due to the different timeline, is great

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing people are able to discern an entire character by a five second cutscene of them tripping.