• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I'd still prefer Urbosa. But similar to Min Min, I won't say no to this Impa.

I'm torn, because Urbosa is definitely the better BotW rep, but also Impa is a character who really should've been in Smash years ago. But yeah, I'll take either, and at the very least this Impa moveset looks like it will be plenty to keep her from feeling like a Sheik clone.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
:/

I don't like this approach at all. Impa is supposed to be a fierce warrior. Just making her Paya so you can justify the character design in the time period is a bummer.
Impa's first appearance in the series is as humpbacked, elderly, witch-like character. She's not "supposed to be" anything. Each Impa is different in each game. That said, there's nothing about her sharing certain personality traits with her granddaughter in BOTW that means she can't also be a fierce warrior. And that's exactly what she looks like in the gameplay video...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm torn, because Urbosa is definitely the better BotW rep, but also Impa is a character who really should've been in Smash years ago. But yeah, I'll take either, and at the very least this Impa moveset looks like it will be plenty to keep her from feeling like a Sheik clone.
In a perfect world, Skyward Sword Impa would already be in Smash while Urbosa gets added in FP2.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
She looks great but I don't like the portrayal, young Impa has always been a capable, serious warrior and now she seems more clumsy and kawaii like her granddaughter. Hopefully the localisation changes that a bit.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The world did not deserve HW Impa anyway.

I'm disappointed that they went this direction with her design, but I'm not too surprised, I guess.
bracing myself for purah

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who looks at Impa's gameplay in this and thinks "incapable bumbling character smh"

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Who looks at Impa's gameplay in this and thinks "incapable bumbling character smh"
No but you see there were two seconds of her stumbling in a cutscene so clearly she's incompetent

Though on a serious note, why do people care what Impa is like? We've seen "rigidly badass" Impa before. I'm fine with them going in a different direction, so long as that direction is good. Which I don't think we can judge from the short clip we have

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Impa deserves it far more than Urbosa. Prior to this game and I suppose BotW2, Urbosa was basically a one off character with maybe 12 lines total, and equal to three other characters who also don't deserve to get into Smash. I don't care how bad I want her to crush my face between her thighs, Impa has put in the time and effort and dear god they need to put her in Smash.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks fantastic and better than I expected, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the Zelda team is so heavily involved. The movement looks like it has more weight to it than the original HW which is great to see.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Moe Impa aka Paya. *groan* Hyrule Warriors Impa was too good for this world.
Honestly, it makes sense that the young Impa would look like her granddaughter at about the same age. She's combat-capable, but also shows a certain worldly inexperience you won't get in a wizened 120-year-old.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What approach? Having Impa be different in every Zelda game as usual? She's a ninja and nothing like Paya... Seriously, some of you see her stumble in a 10 second clip and suddenly she's a "humbly aloof character"
No, not the approach of having Impa be different in every game. That approach is great. I'm talking about the approach I described, where her character design is directly cribbed from another character with an established personality.

I also don't really appreciate having other people's posts attributed to me. Impa's ninja designs have always been distinct and unique with one of the best ones to date coming from this series. I don't think it should be controversial to say I dislike the artistic approach taken here where she is modeled after another chatavyer

Impa's first appearance in the series is as humpbacked, elderly, witch-like character. She's not "supposed to be" anything. Each Impa is different in each game. That said, there's nothing about her sharing certain personality traits with her granddaughter in BOTW that means she can't also be a fierce warrior. And that's exactly what she looks like in the gameplay video...
Impa has historically been portrayed as two alternating archetypes, an old woman or a ninja. This is obviously meant to show the ninja side of an older Impa, something cool that has not been done before. This is the first Impa to be portrayed as both archetypes. [Edit: I seem to have successfully forgot about Skyward Sword.] So given that, I am disappointed that she looks almost exactly like her granddaughter, who is already a popular character. Instead of getting a new original design, it feels like Impa is simply using an existing design that fans already like. I find that disappointing because fierce and imposing Impas are one of my favorite recurring elements of the Zelda series.

Just because it "makes sense" that Impa looks like Paya and it can be justified creatively doesn't mean I have to like it or think it's good. This is not an approach that excites me.

Last edited:

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Impa looks great and really fun to play as.

I never liked the first Hyrule Warriors art style or Impa design, so I'm really glad they captured the BotW look so well.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
One fucking cutscene and Impa is a kawaii, clumsy waifu! But the badass gameplay of her doesn't count. Lmao.
She fell, omg, so clumsy!

Oct 25, 2017
Impa looks awesome and I love pretty much everything about what I just watched and I'm pumped this comes out so (relatively) soon
Link and Impa both look really fun to play as
I have no complaints

Last edited:

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Hmm well, Impa hasn't always been the "badass ninja warrior" in the Zelda series.
Sometimes she's just an old lady, or an overweight woman (in the Oracle of games), or the badass ninja warrior we usually see. I think it's fine she has a different look and personality in HW2 as long as she's not completely reduced to the "cute clumsy girl" stereotype.
Also we already have Urbosa who fills the role of the "badass warrior" so I'm okay with this, eh

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Honestly, it makes sense that the young Impa would look like her granddaughter at about the same age. She's combat-capable, but also shows a certain worldly inexperience you won't get in a wizened 120-year-old.
Just because it can be justified doesn't mean it's good or people have to like it. I think everyone fully understands the in-universe justification for this character design. This is, however, not something everyone is going to like. Something being explainable isn't the same as something being good.

I dislike this depiction of Impa. These are fan service games and Paya is a popular character who could not appear in this game due to the time period. It is transparent that Impa looking so similar to Paya is a convenient way to portray a popular character design in a game intended to appeal to BotW fans.

Yes, it makes sense logically and can be rationalized. But it sucks if you are a fan of Impa because your own fan-favorite character has been supplanted by someone else's.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Impa is like a playable Monk Maz Koshia and that's pretty freaking cool.

It's fun to have these games in a row (Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild/Age of Calamity) where a long time gap allows us to see two versions of Impa (the classic elder and the young warrior) within the same story.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Impa has historically been portrayed as two alternating archetypes, an old woman or a ninja. This is obviously meant to show the ninja side of an older Impa, something cool that has not been done before. This is the first Impa to be portrayed as both archetypes.
... what?

OLutJ2W.png
6N7dr1W.png

Oct 27, 2017
I also don't really appreciate having other people's posts attributed to me. Impa's ninja designs have always been distinct and unique with one of the best ones to date coming from this series. I don't think it should be controversial to say I dislike the artistic approach taken here where she is modeled after another chatavyer

Impa has historically been portrayed as two alternating archetypes, an old woman or a ninja.

I'm not sure I really follow what you're even talking about. Impa has only had 2 official character designs and they've looked completely different. She didn't even look like a ninja till Skyward Sword. "Historically" the only commonality between her designs has been a woman with silver/white hair and lots of blue in her outfit. She's had completely different looks and builds

Oot
Impa-e1368195471160.png

Skyward Sword
latest

edit: Okay, more than 2 official ones, because I always forget the handheld Zelda games :P
But the point is, she's looked different in different games

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Moe Impa aka Paya. *groan* Hyrule Warriors Impa was too good for this world.
I guess that's where Nintendo's heavy involvement comes in. I get that Paya is a popular character, but I wish that they leaned a bit more on the HW1 variant of Impa.

Her moveset on the other hand is fantastic.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
No, not the approach of having Impa be different in every game. That approach is great. I'm talking about the approach I described, where her character design is directly cribbed from another character with an established personality.

Just because it "makes sense" that Impa looks like Paya and it can be justified creatively doesn't mean I have to like it or think it's good. This is not an approach that excites me.
That's fair.

Though I will say that, when I attended my grandmother's funeral, one of her friends approach me and said I looked just like my deceased grandfather when he was young. So I think it's pretty cool that Impa shares a lot in common physically with Paya.

Just because it can be justified doesn't mean it's good or people have to like it. I think everyone fully understands the in-universe justification for this character design. This is, however, not something everyone is going to like. Something being explainable isn't the same as something being good.

I dislike this depiction of Impa. These are fan service games and Paya is a popular character who could not appear in this game due to the time period. It is transparent that Impa looking so similar to Paya is a convenient way to portray a popular character design in a game intended to appeal to BotW fans.

Yes, it makes sense logically and can be rationalized. But it sucks if you are a fan of Impa because your own fan-favorite character has been supplanted by someone else's.
This is also fair. And I know that this Impa won't appeal to everyone.

I more appreciate that the Sheikah are seen as a full tribe in Breath of the Wild, as opposed to a singular person. Yes, they're basically Hylian ninjas, but Breath of the Wild gives them more of a sense of place and history, and I think part of that is aided by seeing Impa have family, and that familial resemblance has carried over. I know that not everyone is going to see it the same way as I do and I respect that.

I just think it's neat!

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not sure I really follow what you're even talking about. Impa has only had 2 official character designs and they've looked completely different. She didn't even look like a ninja till Skyward Sword. "Historically" the only commonality between her designs has been a woman with silver/white hair and lots of blue in her outfit. She's had completely different looks and builds

Oot
Impa-e1368195471160.png

Skyward Sword
latest
You know she dates back to the original NES legend of Zelda right?(was only in the manual though)

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Lots of people getting real defensive over slight disappointment, issa Nintendo thread.

If you look at Impa's introduction, VA direction, and official artwork, it's obvious what direction they're going for, but yeah all right just stay sassy everyone.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States

Oot
Impa-e1368195471160.png

Skyward Sword
latest
I am a Zelda fan, I don't need the series explained to me. Likewise, I don't think me explaining it back to you would really be productive at all. I think we should just accept that you like it and I don't. There is no reason for us to fight or split hairs over this because there is a 0% chance either of us is going to convince the other person to feel differently.

You are allowed to like it based on how you relate the character and I am allowed to dislike it over how I do. We don't have to try to quantify our opinions as some sort of text-supported objective conclusion.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Impa has historically been portrayed as two alternating archetypes, an old woman or a ninja. This is obviously meant to show the ninja side of an older Impa, something cool that has not been done before. This is the first Impa to be portrayed as both archetypes. So given that, I am disappointed that she looks almost exactly like her granddaughter, who is already a popular character. Instead of getting a new original design, it feels like Impa is simply using an existing design that fans already like. I find that disappointing because fierce and imposing Impas are one of my favorite recurring elements of the Zelda series.

Skyward Sword had both old and young Impa too.

Oct 27, 2017
I am a Zelda fan, I don't need the series explained to me. Likewise, I don't think me explaining it back to you would really be productive at all. I think we should just accept that you like it and I don't. There is no reason for us to fight or split hairs over this because there is a 0% chance either of us is going to convince the other person to feel differently.

You are allowed to like it based on how you relate the character and I am allowed to dislike it over how I do. We don't have to try to quantify our opinions as some sort of text-supported objective conclusion.

Then say you don't like the design instead of posting factually incorrect things and then getting upset when people correct you. If that had been the case it would've been whatever

Hoshi

Banned
Jul 20, 2020
User banned (permanent): History of trolling and blatant console warring, junior account
People need to understand that folks have a right to be disappointed about Impa not following the character rules we have decided on, and if you dont, why are you allowed to be here spreading toxicity?

Game looks fun at least, smh that it has ruined the lore and it's characters like this tho.