• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 21, 2019
Am I wrong, or is there so little leeway to "right" a hit when your cover is blown in a big way? Unlike Metal Gear Solid's mechanics, I feel Hitman has kinda always funneled me into one of many options to kill the targets and that deviation from the rails results in shootouts that are nearly impossible to win. I downloaded Hitman 1 and 2 a second time and tried so hard to get into the levels, but I had such a hard time because of how unforgiving the mechanics are. Get good and all of that, I get it, but there's something about the way the game is designed that doesn't appeal to me.

That being said, I loved the original games like the first, original Hitman and especially its sequel, so perhaps I'm just older and less patient than I used to be?

Does anyone else feel the same way?

I'm hoping the 3rd game gives a bit more of a cushion to right the wrongs when your disguise is blown and all hell breaks loose. It's just difficult to get your bearings, find another disguise, ward off the mobs of guards, kill them all, etc. I guess this makes the game more realistic, but something about the balance just feels really off to me. I don't feel "free."

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong, or is there so little leeway to "right" a hit when your cover is blown in a big way?

Can't say I agree. I'm pretty sure you can just break line-of-sight and then hide in a closet till they stop searching, if you want. You could even just whack the witness(es) before they tell anyone. There are other alternatives, but in both those cases you won't be able to get your SA rating, which is probably why most people revert to save once their cover is blown.

I love MGS and SC, but Hitman is way more freeform and systems driven than either.

Last edited:

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong, or is there so little leeway to "right" a hit when your cover is blown in a big way? Unlike Metal Gear Solid's mechanics, I feel Hitman has kinda always funneled me into one of many options to kill the targets and that deviation from the rails results in shootouts that are nearly impossible to win. I downloaded Hitman 1 and 2 a second time and tried so hard to get into the levels, but I had such a hard time because of how unforgiving the mechanics are. Get good and all of that, I get it, but there's something about the way the game is designed that doesn't appeal to me.

Unless you're specifically refering to MGS5's open world, I'm not sure I understand the comparison? And even then, the newer games have never been a shoot-out-then-escape simulator. You can win a fight against a guard or two and recover, but getting discovered in the middle of an enemy base isn't supposed to be something you can win. Hitman's a master assassin, not a master soldier.

The opportunities/storylines for kills are big parts of the 'discovery' of the levels, and by and large, the game facilitates you getting what you need to get through them. The more varied objectives/missions come from the side contracts that get harder as you progress through them.

But the exploration also plays a role in gaining mastery of the level - eventually, even if you fail one or two times, you can discover where a good place to get a guard uniform or lethal poison is, then adjust your strategy/timing accordingly.

It's unforgiving in the sense you can't rambo your way out of getting caught, but you can theoretically hide until the enemies give up, and/or kill the people who spotted you through your disguise and continue on with the level - they're meant to be replayable if you really want to pursue the silent assassin rating.

From the previews, Hitman 3 also apparently is including unlockable persistent shortcuts for traversing the levels, to help foster that sense of exploration and (presumably) being able to sidestep some of the more ponderous aspects, if you choose to go that route.

I'm hoping the 3rd game gives a bit more of a cushion to right the wrongs when your disguise is blown and all hell breaks loose. It's just difficult to get your bearings, find another disguise, ward off the mobs of guards, kill them all, etc. I guess this makes the game more realistic, but something about the balance just feels really off to me. I don't feel "free."

Unless you're playing on the harder difficulties, most of the time (there have definitely been a few instances where a guard would see something I thought he wouldn't) the information you need regarding getting spotted/discovered is available to you.

The perhaps overreliance on hitman-vision is kinda annoying at times, doubly so because it doesn't broadcast sight cones the way MGS does, so you do have to use visual cues like where the guards are looking, but it's there.

The game(s) aren't meant to be freeform the way MGS5 is - they're much more puzzle/stealth games, rather than stealth/action.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Can't say I agree. I'm pretty sure you can just break line-of-sight and then hide in a closet till they stop searching, if you want. You could even just whack the witness(es) before they tell anyone. There are other alternatives, but in both those cases you won't be able to get your SA rating, which is probably why most people revert to save once their cover is blown.

I love MGS and SC, but Hitman is way more freeform and systems driven than either.
Agreed. I just wait to get my Silent Assassin/Suit Only challenges done all at once...if you're exploring and don't care about score, you can often subdue or kill the majority of NPCs in the level and still find a costume change or safe spot to carry on.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be one of the complete, legit experiences once this is all said and done.

Can't wait.

Sep 21, 2019
Unless you're specifically refering to MGS5's open world, I'm not sure I understand the comparison? And even then, the newer games have never been a shoot-out-then-escape simulator. You can win a fight against a guard or two and recover, but getting discovered in the middle of an enemy base isn't supposed to be something you can win. Hitman's a master assassin, not a master soldier.

The opportunities/storylines for kills are big parts of the 'discovery' of the levels, and by and large, the game facilitates you getting what you need to get through them. The more varied objectives/missions come from the side contracts that get harder as you progress through them.

But the exploration also plays a role in gaining mastery of the level - eventually, even if you fail one or two times, you can discover where a good place to get a guard uniform or lethal poison is, then adjust your strategy/timing accordingly.

It's unforgiving in the sense you can't rambo your way out of getting caught, but you can theoretically hide until the enemies give up, and/or kill the people who spotted you through your disguise and continue on with the level - they're meant to be replayable if you really want to pursue the silent assassin rating.

From the previews, Hitman 3 also apparently is including unlockable persistent shortcuts for traversing the levels, to help foster that sense of exploration and (presumably) being able to sidestep some of the more ponderous aspects, if you choose to go that route.

Unless you're playing on the harder difficulties, most of the time (there have definitely been a few instances where a guard would see something I thought he wouldn't) the information you need regarding getting spotted/discovered is available to you.

The perhaps overreliance on hitman-vision is kinda annoying at times, doubly so because it doesn't broadcast sight cones the way MGS does, so you do have to use visual cues like where the guards are looking, but it's there.

The game(s) aren't meant to be freeform the way MGS5 is - they're much more puzzle/stealth games, rather than stealth/action.

This makes sense. I've tried several times to get into Hitman 1 and Hitman 2. I did the beach mission several times and enjoyed it enough. An assassination through the skylight was particularly memorable. I just always find myself at odds with the game's systems. Like it has "intel" I can eavesdrop on, assassination specific opportunities like dressing up as a certain person or something, but it all feels funneled through and like you have to repeat it several times to understand what's going on, which kind of deflates my interest a bit.

I wish there were a way to get a lay of the land and execute great sequences without as much constant risk of imperfection or having to watch the NPCs over numerous level attempts in order to understand their routines, etc. It feels strange since you are a hitman entering the level and then only gain more knowledge over repeat attempts as opposed to more organically just playing in the game.

That need to fail and analyze what went wrong and rinse-repeat over and over dulls the game's edge for me so that by the time I sink the kill I feel like I got there not by playing the game but by failing over and over and over and only learning through failing. Not in a fun, Dark Souls way either. More in a...this is how you unpack the systems to this particular level and "explore." This is where this NPC goes and when. This is how you do this thing you really couldn't have done the first time around because you had no idea how A connected to B connected to C.

I wish we could get some sort of pre-intel that allowed us to enter missions with specific ideas in mind. Like we already know this NPC is a chef and that at this particular time he leaves his post which allows for x to happen. I think some preplanning and pre-knowledge of the maps and the characters mixed in with the organic nature of the worlds would make the game feel more intriguing and interesting for me to play. Rather than plop, welcome to this world, you have a mission to do, so go do it. And then learn all the opportunities as you go in this strange way that only starts to make sense on the 5th, 10th, 15th+ attempt.

I find it exhausting and tedious. But I'll give this entry a try because it sounds intriguing enough.

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That need to fail and analyze what went wrong and rinse-repeat over and over dulls the game's edge for me so that by the time I sink the kill I feel like I got there not by playing the game but by failing over and over and over and only learning through failing. Not in a fun, Dark Souls way either. More in a...this is how you unpack the systems to this particular level and "explore."

Personally, that's part of the appeal. The levels are the real stars of the series; the real story.

With each run, you peel away layers of the level's systems and how the AI reacts to certain stimuli, developing mastery over each location to the point you can develop assassination methods far beyond what the game suggests. They're beautiful little clockwork dioramas and you're tasked with working out how to break it in the subtlest (or, if you are so inclined, most destructive) way possible. It's a loosely similar structure to Outer Wilds in that each 'loop' builds on your understanding and opens up more options (but with more garrotting). It is super satisfying piecing together a golden route through a level.

In addition, each playthrough and completed challenge reveals more of the narrative and the target's hidden motivations, potential plans to backstab each other, or provide information that reframes the entire mission. There's usually more going on than what you've initially been briefed with.

There's nothing like Hitman out there, but yeah, you do have to dig deep into each location to get the most out of it; it's not a one-and-done kind of game, and never has been.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. The slow progression is exactly the appeal of these games, and you always learn something new about a map every time you play it. It's so unique and so compelling.

To fully master a map over dozens of hours and be able to understand not just how to kill the original targets in myriad ways, but also other NPCs in the contracts/escalation modes, is so, so satisfying. I'm pretty sure I know Paris and Sapienza like the back of my hand.

Sep 21, 2019
Personally, that's part of the appeal. The levels are the real stars of the series; the real story.

With each run, you peel away layers of the level's systems and how the AI reacts to certain stimuli, developing mastery over each location to the point you can develop assassination methods far beyond what the game suggests. They're beautiful little clockwork dioramas and you're tasked with working out how to break it in the subtlest (or, if you are so inclined, most destructive) way possible. It's a loosely similar structure to Outer Wilds in that each 'loop' builds on your understanding and opens up more options (but with more garrotting). It is super satisfying piecing together a golden route through a level.

In addition, each playthrough and completed challenge reveals more of the narrative and the target's hidden motivations, potential plans to backstab each other, or provide information that reframes the entire mission. There's usually more going on than what you've initially been briefed with.

There's nothing like Hitman out there, but yeah, you do have to dig deep into each location to get the most out of it; it's not a one-and-done kind of game, and never has been.

I didn't realize more information, story about targets, etc opened up with each play through the levels.

I'll give it another go. This sounds intriguing.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't. It's there from the start, you just find more of it as you explore more of the level, because there's tons of it.

EDIT: What profanity said is right (I realise I didn't make that very clear).

A lot of levels flesh out the targets and their motivations more, but there are some levels with sub-stories going on that aren't referenced at all in the brief (Haven springs to mind), some where the briefing doesn't give nearly the full picture (Marrakesh is one) - all sorts. Not quite Blood Money levels, but it is pretty cool digging in and piecing it all together.

Last edited:

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
We're getting closer to release and there's still not enough information on how transfers of Hitman 1/2 unlocks will work with 3 on PC and EGS.

Has there been any footage of the menus? Straight horizontal scrolling for all the menu and starting location gear/items is going to be shithouse again given the sheer amount of unlocks.

What are the changes IOI raised with Elusive Targets? Enough of those from Season 1 this time round please.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
My anniversary is on the 20th so I certainly won't be playing it then, but I will get it later because hitman is awesome. I feel bad not supporting the game at launch, but sometimes more important things take place.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The AI, if still dumb as bread as it was in Hitman 1+2, together with the awful voice acting takes me completely out of the immersion™.

i will get this when it hits 20 bucks, still haven´t finished Hitman 2 because super burnt out on the formula tbh.

the reboot games have a strange paradoxon going on, the maps are made and meant to be played over and over which clashes with the long term appeal, because it just leads to extreme fatigue. AI, systems and stealthing are just not advanced/exciting enough for extended lengths. and the "guns blazing" playstyle with shooting feels antiquated.

its made with replayability in mind but leads to exactly the opposite. it happened with Hitman 1 for me where i dropped out when Colorado released and it happened in Hitman 2 where i dropped out of the game in Mumbai already.

frankly, the episodic approach of the first game was far more fitting than a "complete" game at once.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played a Hitman game before but this sounds good. I'll check it out on PS5, but probably not until the first digital sale unless the reviews are ridiculous.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This should be elaborated on soon as per Travis' (Our Comms Manager) tweet here:

"Our" eh? 🤔

Haven't played a Hitman game before but this sounds good. I'll check it out on PS5, but probably not until the first digital sale unless the reviews are ridiculous.

I think you can download H2016's first mission for free. Give it a shot! Literally!

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The AI, if still dumb as bread as it was in Hitman 1+2, together with the awful voice acting takes me completely out of the immersion™.

i will get this when it hits 20 bucks, still haven´t finished Hitman 2 because super burnt out on the formula tbh.

the reboot games have a strange paradoxon going on, the maps are made and meant to be played over and over which clashes with the long term appeal, because it just leads to extreme fatigue. AI, systems and stealthing are just not advanced/exciting enough for extended lengths. and the "guns blazing" playstyle with shooting feels antiquated.

its made with replayability in mind but leads to exactly the opposite. it happened with Hitman 1 for me where i dropped out when Colorado released and it happened in Hitman 2 where i dropped out of the game in Mumbai already.

frankly, the episodic approach of the first game was far more fitting than a "complete" game at once.

Stealth games is a genre where I think amazing ai would actually be a bad thing. If people in hitman would actually be smart and behave as normal people, I feel the game would become incredibly hard and frustrating. For some it would be an awesome challenge, but for most it would ruin the fun of the game. Not saying you can't improve it at all, but it should be done VERY carefully and not go overboard.

Oct 25, 2017
Stealth games is a genre where I think amazing ai would actually be a bad thing. If people in hitman would actually be smart and behave as normal people, I feel the game would become incredibly hard and frustrating. For some it would be an awesome challenge, but for most it would ruin the fun of the game.

Yeah, the AI needs to have a certan predicatability for games like this.

Looking forward to it. Just watched Ben Moore's impressions and he was very, very positive about it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Alrighty, I just started playing Hitman 1 and I´m not sure im doin it "right".
Is the intended way to play every mission until you have completed all mission stories and then go from there with experimentation?
Also, is there a way to see all the Challenges and their requirements beforehand (is that what the "tiles" are called that show up at the end of a mission for the XP calculation)?

I completed the first 3 missions with maybe half of their missions stories and I´m not sure im missing something. My initial reaction is that missions Stories are too easy but deviating from them is cumbersome as they are needed to move targets around/trigger specific paths/reactions/whatever.

(I´m enjoying the game btw, i just feel it´s either too easy or too hard lol)

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017

What? The AI is great in Hitman, It's purpose built for the task at hand but not realistic and that's by design.
It's built to be replicable every time by knowing exactly how the AI will react, it's not meant to be a simulator it's mean to be a stealth puzzle that once you figure out how they react to your actions you can reproduce them every time and improve on your game with this knowledge.
Just imagine if guards line of sight was realistic or if they had realistic spatial awareness it would be more real but would lead to frustration more than fun and unpredictability since guards would be constantly investigating things that are out of place.

Here's a good video about it's AI process.

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing Hitman 1 and I´m not sure im playing it "right".
Is the intended way to play every mission until you have completed all mission stories and then go from there with experimentation?
Also, is there a way to see all the Challenges and their requirements beforehand (is that what the "tiles" are called that show up at the end of a mission for the XP calculation)?

I completed the first 3 missions with maybe half of their missions stories and I´m not sure im missing something. My initial reaction is that missions Stories are too easy but deviating from them is cumbersome as they are needed to move targets around/trigger specific paths/reactions/whatever.

There's no 'right' way, really. You can dig into one mission and finish all the Challenges, play through the story consecutively and then go back through, or dip in and out at your leisure. All I will say is, take your time.

Yeah, the tiles are Challenges. You can view Challenges either during planning or mid mission. They have a tab of their own. If you complete a Challenge - even if you die or restart - it's done. It'll officially pop when you finish that mission (even if you have restarted).

You can set how much assistance you get with Mission Stories under Options > Gameplay: None, Minimal or Full. Minimal just gives you a hint at what you should do next, while full gives you precise waypoints.

Personally, I play with none. I go into a level ignoring the missions and just explore, literally acting like a tourist, and only picking at threads as they present themselves.

Each level is an intricate clockwork puzzle that you have to find ways of breaking in either the subtlest or most destructive ways.

Instinct highlights objects you can pick up or interact with, so touring each level and using Instinct will help you accumulate map knowledge; to know where objects you need are, where environmental hazards that could help are located, ways to manipulate AI, or even something as simple as a decent sniper spot (Instinct shows things you can climb too).

Your map knowledge, combined with the listed Challenges, helps you start piecing everything together. When you successfully execute a plan you've come up with, it's Dark Souls levels of satisfaction. 😄

I have no idea if any of that is helpful.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019
Bought Hitman 1 and 2 in the PSN sale and honestly I don't think I'm playing them right.

Been following the story missions on the first one (the fashion-show to kill two people) - but I don't "get" it. I mean...I try to be a hitman mentality and all stealthy but clearly my brain isn't wired to think like the game wants me to.

Read some tips and tricks but it mostly talks about the coins and fire extinguishers lol...am I HITMANNING wrong?

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Alrighty, I just started playing Hitman 1 and I´m not sure im doin it "right".

If you have opportunities/story guidance set to full in the options menu then the story missions practically play themselves. Turn them to minimal or off and you'll find it much more satisfying.

Last edited:

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Bought Hitman 1 and 2 in the PSN sale and honestly I don't think I'm playing them right.

Been following the story missions on the first one (the fashion-show to kill two people) - but I don't "get" it. I mean...I try to be a hitman mentality and all stealthy but clearly my brain isn't wired to think like the game wants me to.

Read some tips and tricks but it mostly talks about the coins and fire extinguishers lol...am I HITMANNING wrong?

It's a game about hiding in plain sight. There are challenges in completing a level just sneaking about but for the most part it's a game about wearing the right disguise in the right area at the right time.

What I always do in a new level is feel out where I can go with just the starting outfit. It should usually be pretty obvious using either common sense or looking at signs or where guards are positioned where I can and can't go as a normal person.

Then I look at where I want to go and figure out what disguises will get me in there so I can walk around mostly freely in that area. You can occasionally find disguises lying around the levels but for the most part you will want to kill or subdue someone wearing that disguise to steal it, so you need to do that in private by watching their routines or luring them to a quiet area. Putting emetic poison in their drink so they run to the toilet or luring them somewhere with a coin are two staples but there are lots of other things you can as well, some level specific others more general.

Then you take their disguise, hide the body and figure out the limits of that disguise. What areas does it get you access to? Can you perform actions in plain sight in that disguise that you can't do in other disguises? Does it allow you to interact with the targets in any way?

You may still very occasionally need to be a bit sneaky or hide but the key to the vast majority of the game is changing disguises and walking around freely. Once you understand that loop everything else should fall into place.

(Note the above doesn't apply so much to Colorado which is why it's the worst map :P)

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know its only Mattias and I who are on here :)

That's cool. Rarely get an opportunity to thank developers 'in person', so if I can be a bit cheeky:

Been a fan of the series for 20 years and the WOA trilogy is absolutely peak Hitman. Good job to you and the team. 👍🏽

Must be weird saying goodbye for a while. Like, relief you get to work on something different but sad you're seeing an old friend go.

I think of it more as a puzzle game where you work out how to gruesomely murder people.

Map and target knowledge are your most useful weapons. I tend to wander levels like a tourist, using Instinct to identify all the bits and bobs in the level: where items are, where environmental kills are, where the target's go, where I can climb, etc.

Combined with the Challenge hints, you can start piecing together your own diabolical plans. It's a lot of trial and error, but when a plan clicks into place and is executed perfectly, it's glorious.

What are you having trouble with specifically?

Last edited:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you have opportunities/story guidance set to full in the options mission then the story missions practically play themselves. Turn them to minimal or off and you'll find it much more satisfying.

What is the default setting for this if you don't change it?

I played the first game when it was on PS+ and I don't remember changing it.

I really should turn it off or set it to minimal now that i will play all the games back to back.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the VR mode is good. I just bought all 3 games on ps5 so I can play in PSVR. I already owned 1 and 2 on PC!

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Looks like H3 has a platinum trophy. Nice top off for the series.
psnprofiles.com

Hitman 3 Trophies

1 Platinum • 1 Gold • 16 Silver • 66 Bronze

Also has anyone claimed the OT yet? I'm not seeing it referenced anywhere. If not I might pick it up.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

You can use coins to get people to Look away of investigate them by throwing them, but this is not essential for most situations.
Generally you want to find an appropriate outfit for that area you want to access (use the vision thing and anybody with a dot over their head will be able to see through your current disguise)

Don't be afraid to murder some innocent people too, as long as they aren't found you can carry on with your business.

As you play more you can unlock things like lock picks and are able to start the level in a different outfit or undercover. Don't feel compelled to try and perfect run the assassination on you first go.

The challenges you see popping are persistent , once they are unlocked they will unlock the next time you finish a mission. Sometimes it's fun once you've completed some, just to do a horrible murder spree - so you can finish and try again with new unlocks