• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
This thread got me to take a second look at Humanz. I'm digging it a lot more now than I was when it first landed probably because I'm not expecting a Plastic Beach follow-up. Thank you thread!

OP
OP
Mary Celeste

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
So, is 2D is still possessed by...
Him from The Powerpuff Girls?
Or is that just a random theory?
He never was.

New song sounds awesome, and like no gorillaz song ever has before. Which is exactly what I want. Very glad they're gonna continue to focus heavily on collaborations.

theme park joe honestly I think NME fucked up. It'll probably be a monthly series and an album to collect the 12 songs at the rnd

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
He never was.

New song sounds awesome, and like no gorillaz song ever has before. Which is exactly what I want. Very glad they're gonna continue to focus heavily on collaborations.

theme park joe honestly I think NME fucked up. It'll probably be a monthly series and an album to collect the 12 songs at the rnd

I hope they don't drag the album out for a full year, that would be insane. Once a week or once every two weeks would be fine

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Judging from all the people that have said they've linked up with Gorillaz I'm going to assume a great deal has already been done and now its just letting them loose. It will be interesting to see if its all singles that are collected down the line or leading up to a traditional album release.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the interesting thing is how there's been nothing stated about whether this is going to be a new album or not. The rollout feels very "contemporary" in the way it seems to prioritize smaller widespread releases. Granted I'd be surprised if this doesn't result in an album somehow (gotta get those sweet vinyl sales) but the concept seems a lot more freeform than Plastic Beach and Humanz.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It sounds like Gorillaz will a lot Blur injected into it. I'm digging it. I'm hoping the next song drops soon to see how it compliments it.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
hell yeah i really enjoy this, gives me demon days vibes but i can't explain why
video is great too

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damon's on the BBC radio now, he said that it's not an album, it's a season thing, he said that he thought it was 10 episodes but that he was told it'd be 13, and that he thinks this format can work in the future for his style, just launch songs whenever he feels like it

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide yet if it's good or bad

Was worried by the first 30 seconds of the main featured artist guy

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
reminds me of snakes and ladders (song that didn't make it on Demon Days). really like it! feels very fresh and experimental

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a continuation of what was built with Humanz. I can see why folks may not like it, but I really dig the aggressive alternative punk sound it seems to be going for.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like it. Damon is exhibiting self-titled levels of energy here, even in The Now Now I felt he phoned in his vocal performance a bit too much, felt like the 2-D side of things in the band had been pigeon-holed into being "sleepy vocals" when the band used to be so much more varied.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
doesn't sound like Humanz at all. this sounds like something more in line with S/T and Demon Days
Demon Days to me is poppier with more hip hop influence.

This feels like an evolution of the grittier tracks on Humanz to me. It's punkier, yeah, less synth happening, but the energy and vibe is similar to Ascension to me.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decidedly simple for the Gorillaz. Don't love it but don't hate it. I prefer the second half a lot better once the song picks up and gets a bit more lively. I will say like others it sounds a bit more old school Gorillaz.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not sure if I like or not, it's a pretty fun song though, but I'm surprised that I see a little of every single album here. It drinks more from the first album, I think, but I see stuff from Plastic Beach and Humanz (Demon Days not so much).

All and all, if this is the first "single", it might be their weakest first one, I'm still on the fence.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Song was okay. If they have an album coming out, I'll see about it if word of mouth is good. Kinda done being excited about Gorillaz.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I think if you're gonna compare it to their older albums, you have to go older than Demon Days. This is like, a much more refined sound off their first self-titled album.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Song was okay. If they have an album coming out, I'll see about it if word of mouth is good. Kinda done being excited about Gorillaz.
Not an album, more like a continuous stream of single releases every month with a music video / band stuff / etc. They'll probably drop a full album collection / physical / vinyl when they're done with this first "season" but for now it all looks freeform and just putting out music as long as they can.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoy. I also like the simple performance/music video thing they have here, along with goofy stuff like Murdoc in the background.

I do want an actual album release eventually, even if it's just a collection of the first "season" of material or whatever. It's just more convenient than buying an MP3 every two or three weeks or whatever.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think if you're gonna compare it to their older albums, you have to go older than Demon Days. This is like, a much more refined sound off their first self-titled album.

That was the vibe I was getting. Its a very "simple" sound compared to how operatic and heavily designed things got in later albums, not that was a bad thing either. I listened to it again and I do like it even if its not the fanciest or the most unique sound they've put out.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Felt very pre-Humanz so it was weird to see some of those comparisons here. I liked it a lot after the rocky first few seconds.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must have listened to a different album though if people say this sounds like Demon Days lol