• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
www.xda-developers.com

Pixel 6 leak reveals Google plans to deliver 5 years of updates

A new leak has revealed the specifications of the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro, but more importantly, Google plans to deliver 5 years of updates!

According to Jon Prosser of FrontPageTech, Google is reportedly committed to providing at least 5 years of software updates for both phones in the Pixel 6 series. It's unclear if that means both phones will get 5 generations of OS updates, 4 generations of OS updates plus an additional year of security updates, or some other combination of OS + security updates, but what's clear is that Google is taking full advantage of the fact that it has full control over the silicon powering both devices.

As a reminder, we've known for a while that Google plans to ship both devices with its custom GS101 silicon, code-named "whitechapel." Since Google is coding the drivers to make Android compatible with its GS101 silicon, we presume they can support new versions of Android for as long as they're willing to invest time and money into supporting newer versions.

Glad to hear it. The big reason apple has been able to support their devices so long is their control of the cpu level hardware, not surprised google wants in on the action too.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised its taken Google this long to implement this. Apple has shown that it definitely creates loyalty for their brand and Google benefits more from the users then selling the device long term.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great stuff. This has been the achilles' heel of Pixel (along with almost every year coming with some weird spec deficiency in some area) and it seems like they're really pushing to overcome things that have held back these phones until now. Very excited to see what it ends up being.

OP
OP
GoldenFlex

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
I'm surprised its taken Google this long to implement this. Apple has shown that it definitely creates loyalty for their brand and Google benefits more from the users then selling the device long term.
Think a big hurdle is getting the hardware team started on something that can replace Qualcomm. Software you can assemble a team pretty quickly and put stuff together but hardware is inherently a more complex procedure.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Think a big hurdle is getting the hardware team started on something that can replace Qualcomm. Software you can assemble a team pretty quickly and put stuff together but hardware is inherently a more complex procedure.

Yea that makes sense as Apple can plan development around their long term roadmap pretty easily when they know pretty much what their own hardware is going to look like for years to come

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Finally. It was unbelievable that Samsung was better than Google with the software support.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
The Pixel 6 Pro is sounding more and more like my next phone. It's great to see extended software support for consumer Android devices now that manufacturers are moving away from Qualcomm.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Glad to hear it, but I wish they would grandfather in older devices as well. Google basically told me a few months ago they wouldn't be sending out any additional updates to the Pixel 2xl, which is effectively forcing me to upgrade my phone far earlier than I want.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017

Stock android devices have tended to have better support than iPhones for years before this announcement though. At least from what I have observed with iPhone users.

OP
OP
GoldenFlex

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
The Pixel 6 Pro is sounding more and more like my next phone. It's great to see extended software support for consumer Android devices now that manufacturers are moving away from Qualcomm.
Yeah, really hurt the brand image with people blaming Google when they've done basically all they can to take updates out of the manufacturers hands outside of their own CPUs now.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Now this is what is needed.

This is one of the reasons why I keep going back to ios

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Finally (fingers crossed that this rumor is true). Even if it's just 2-3 OS updates with 5 years security update I'm fine with that. OS version update has became far less important nowadays. I mean would people really be happier if they get OS version update with features cut, which is probably what would happen lol.

Can't wait for 6a.

Last edited:

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
In theory, Google is doing a lot of the right things with their rumored Pixel 6 lineup, with the exceptions of not having a "small" phone and no telephoto on the base model.

As someone who has a Pixel 2XL which has reached end of life status, it'll be nice to have more longevity with their platform.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Pixel 6 is looking really good. Might be the first time I upgrade within the year.
In theory, Google is doing a lot of the right things with their rumored Pixel 6 lineup, with the exceptions of not having a "small" phone and no telephoto on the base model.

As someone who has a Pixel 2XL which has reached end of life status, it'll be nice to have more longevity with their platform.
Blah, completely forgot about this. And I want that triple camera setup. Hopefully it's not that much bigger than the Pixel 5.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so hyped for this thing. I don't enjoy having a big phone, but bring on this new camera sensor. I can't wait to see what the astrophotography on this phone will be like

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great. Keep including free upload to Photos from Pixel devices now and I'll probably never leave. Lol.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
Since Google is coding the drivers to make Android compatible with its GS101 silicon, we presume they can support new versions of Android for as long as they're willing to invest time and money into supporting newer versions.
That doesn't sound like Google.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
My OnePlus 5T is on its last legs so I'm desperate for a new phone this year. It'll be either the upcoming 9T or a Pixel 6. 9T will have to really blow me away I think next month or so when it arrives though cause as much as I've loved my OnePlus phones their being uncommon has created issues. Especially when I needed to get my 5T's screen replaced. Getting the latest and greatest from Android as soon as it arrives and for potentially all the years I'll have the phone, which is usually ~4, is a big plus.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They're not doing a Pixel 2-size one? That's what I currently have and I feel like it's the perfect size. I was going to upgrade to 6 but now I don't think I will.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Excellent news.

It was ridiculous that a company the size of Google could initially only commit to 2 years of support.

Great stuff. This has been the achilles' heel of Pixel (along with almost every year coming with some weird spec deficiency in some area) and it seems like they're really pushing to overcome things that have held back these phones until now. Very excited to see what it ends up being.

Google has to have some sort of gentleman's agreement with its hardware partners to purposely gimp the Pixel each year. Like how Microsoft never 100% goes in for the kill with its Surface lineup.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
My Pixel 3XL is still hanging on pretty well. I'll probably pick up a 6 when it drops. If I didn't use my phone for 2FA everywhere I would ride this phone till the screen popped, but I need to I make sure I have a working phone all the time.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
This is great but it remains to be seen if they stick to their word. It's Google after all.

Still 90% sure I'm switching to iPhone this fall still.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Im moving to their Pixel devices probably exclusively then. I've been waiting for them to debut their own chips since that's such a big requirement to assure long term support. I really like Google Fi too, its great in my area so yeah. Im definitely anticipating this. Ill always consider other OEM's but its going to be harder for me to pick one after this.

OP
OP
GoldenFlex

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Still 90% sure I'm switching to iPhone this fall still.
Give it a shot, I gave iOS a year long experiment after being on android for a long time though, and I finally switched back last month. It was such an awful experience, especially given the hype people give Apple. Hardware is nice but that software... it's just not for me.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Give it a shot, I gave iOS a year long experiment after being on android for a long time though, and I finally switched back last month. It was such an awful experience, especially given the hype people give Apple. Hardware is nice but that software... it's just not for me.

What made you switch back? My main reasons for switching is consistency (software and hardware updates/reliability), privacy features and the overall ecosystem (for example I really want a smartwatch but really dislike the Android watches).

OP
OP
GoldenFlex

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
What made you switch back? My main reasons for switching is consistency (software and hardware updates/reliability), privacy features and the overall ecosystem (for example I really want a smartwatch but really dislike the Android watches).
Apple maps would take me on incredibly strange routes, and was bugged out completely, she would alert me to take a turn after I had already driven past it; leading me to spend even more time driving. Using the non apple versions of apps, like spotify, google maps, gmail, firefox, etc just felt wrong; like they were being held back by something arbitrary. Apple pay would not connect to my bank, I called the bank and they said it was on apples end and that apple was sending the wrong zip code. Called apple and they said it was on the banks end... got routed to some upper management person and told that someone on the dev team? would reach out, which never happened. Just a lot of things like that, the "consistency" angle is often touted but in reality it doesn't seem to be true.

The biggest reason for me though is that Apple threatened to pull discord from the app store unless they did some sort of NSFW server ban, all around discord is a bad experience on iOS. I subscribed through apple to nitro, and until it expires next month I can't even buy boosts for my servers unless I buy them through an iPhone because of the 30% garbage.

All around I don't think Apple as a company is very ethical in consumer choice, but they try to masquerade as being so. I would go so far as to say that they are a harm on the industry.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Apple maps would take me on incredibly strange routes, and was bugged out completely, she would alert me to take a turn after I had already driven past it; leading me to spend even more time driving. Using the non apple versions of apps, like spotify, google maps, gmail, firefox, etc just felt wrong; like they were being held back by something arbitrary. Apple pay would not connect to my bank, I called the bank and they said it was on apples end and that apple was sending the wrong zip code. Called apple and they said it was on the banks end... got routed to some upper management person and told that someone on the dev team? would reach out, which never happened. Just a lot of things like that, the "consistency" angle is often touted but in reality it doesn't seem to be true.

The biggest reason for me though is that Apple threatened to pull discord from the app store unless they did some sort of NSFW server ban, all around discord is a bad experience on iOS. I subscribed through apple to nitro, and until it expires next month I can't even buy boosts for my servers unless I buy them through an iPhone because of the 30% garbage.

All around I don't think Apple as a company is very ethical in consumer choice, but they try to masquerade as being so. I would go so far as to say that they are a harm on the industry.

Huh, that's good to know, thanks. What about Google Maps felt off? I was planning on using that as my default on iOS.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Blah, completely forgot about this. And I want that triple camera setup. Hopefully it's not that much bigger than the Pixel 5.
They're not doing a Pixel 2-size one? That's what I currently have and I feel like it's the perfect size. I was going to upgrade to 6 but now I don't think I will.
This current spec rumor suggest screen sizes of 6.4 inches for the base model and 6.71 for the Pro. The screen on the base Pixel 6 is larger than the screen of the Pixel 4XL.

A prior Pixel 6 rumor indicated expected body sizes for the 6 Pro: 163.9 x 75.8 x 8.9 mm (11.5 mm thickness including camera bump) and for the base Pixel 6: 158.6mm x 74.8mm x 8.9mm

Some size comparisons
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max: 160.8 x 78.1 x 7.4 mm
  • S21+: 161.5 x 75.6 x 7.8 mm
  • S21 Ultra: 165.1 x 75.6 x 8.9 mm
  • Note 20 Ultra: 164.8 x 77.2 x 8.1 mm
  • Pixel 5: 144.7 x 70.4 x 8 mm
  • Pixel 4XL: 160.4 x 75.1 x 8.2 mm
  • Pixel 3XL: 158 x 76.7 x 7.9 mm
  • Pixel 2XL: 157.9 x 76.7 x 7.9 mm

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's good to know, thanks. What about Google Maps felt off? I was planning on using that as my default on iOS.

I run both in an iPhone I've never really had an issue with one being consistently better than the other. It always seems like, when it comes to traffic and directions, I usually get solid info from both with occasional fuckups either way. I have a preference for Google maps mainly because I think it does a better job with traffic highlights (visually that is, not information wise. It's led me astray too) than Apple Maps but we'll see what the next update brings.

FWIW, I've never had an issue with Apple Pay with multiple banks including a local credit union. They all load fine

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Now I might actually buy an Android phone. Maybe. The lack of update support was the reason I left for iPhone but now I am heavily entrenched in Apple services.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Just when I'm about to upgrade and looking at phones. I didn't realize that was a major issue with the Pixel line.
It's not necessarily an issue limited to Pixel phones, but rather the majority of Android phones with the source of the issue typically being attributed to Qualcomm (makers of the phone's chipset) - when Qualcomm ends support for a product, it causes issues with keeping that platform up to date (or so I've read).

With the Pixel 6, Google is introducing their own chipset where they can dictate support, which is why we're seeing this rumor of 5 years of updates.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This current spec rumor suggest screen sizes of 6.4 inches for the base model and 6.71 for the Pro. The screen on the base Pixel 6 is larger than the screen of the Pixel 4XL.

A prior Pixel 6 rumor indicated expected body sizes for the 6 Pro: 163.9 x 75.8 x 8.9 mm (11.5 mm thickness including camera bump) and for the base Pixel 6: 158.6mm x 74.8mm x 8.9mm

Some size comparisons
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max: 160.8 x 78.1 x 7.4 mm
  • S21+: 161.5 x 75.6 x 7.8 mm
  • S21 Ultra: 165.1 x 75.6 x 8.9 mm
  • Note 20 Ultra: 164.8 x 77.2 x 8.1 mm
  • Pixel 5: 144.7 x 70.4 x 8 mm
  • Pixel 4XL: 160.4 x 75.1 x 8.2 mm
  • Pixel 3XL: 158 x 76.7 x 7.9 mm
  • Pixel 2XL: 157.9 x 76.7 x 7.9 mm
Ooof at those dimensions. Maybe I can wait it out. It really depends on how good Google's chip is. Even my Pixel 5 feels big at times.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
Google learned their lesson for ChromeOS devices. They all have a minimum of five years of support and ones released in 2020 or later have eight years of support. My five year old Chromebook still gets every update and runs well. I am really looking forward to the next Pixel.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
That's great news. Lack of long term support is one of the main things that turned me away from Android.

OP
OP
GoldenFlex

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
You cant set it as the default, so when you plug into car play or whatever apple maps will come up. If you click on a link, apple maps will come up. Apple maps is just so finnicky, I have an EV so I use this app called plugshare which shows you all the different chargers around on a map. I clicked on one, clicked on the map link to open in apple maps and it sent me into this web view which opened 99 tabs in a second and crashed my phone... it was nuts.

The "quality control" angle was hyped up but honestly iOS and Android are essentially the same on this front.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I mean, it's nice to have the mandate set in stone, but my pixel 2 is still getting regular updates. I have to worry more about the obsolescence of my phone apps more than my phone itself.