• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Steam is not competing on just features. They are very much competing on exclusivity. CS:GO and Dota2 are still the Top 2 most played games on steam and their concurrent players are more than the rest of the Top10 combined.
Those are first-party games. Valve doesn't demand exclusivity on any third-party games. They believe in developers selling their games on multiple stores/platforms demonstrably more so than Tim Sweeney claims to. In fact I think the only thing Valve requests is some level of pricing/discount parity and the 30% they don't get from key sales is exempt from that.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
FelixFFM

Yeah, plus in my head features in a storefront should basically only be economical feature for the consumer. If i want to buy a cpu from best buy vs microcenter, i only want to compare price, not all this extra shit; the extra shit should be considered separately and not tied to the place retailing the game imo. Digital storefronts should be about shopping around, not feeling like you HAVE to go steam because it has features that other stores dont.

So like in this imagination, there would be the steam store and the steam launcher separately, and digital games can be loaded onto your launcher of choice w/ it's feature set and all that. This allows, for example, a dev to release on multiple storefronts, not be forced to take cuts that they dont want to, and for storefronts to take less in general due to only really needing to maintain servers, etc.

But again i know this is fanfiction and valve holds the industry atm.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Those are first-party games. Valve doesn't demand exclusivity on any third-party games. They believe in developers selling their games on multiple stores/platforms demonstrably more so than Tim Sweeney claims to. In fact I think the only thing Valve requests is some level of pricing/discount parity and the 30% they don't get from key sales is exempt from that.
They still compete on exclusivity for the sake of the argument. It's not like the popularity of steam is solely based on its features.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
To adress your final point: EGS is as close of an actual competitor as we're going to get. At the very least on the dev/publisher facing side. *Actual* competition on the consumer-facing side is close to impossible in the current situation due to exclusive content still being allowed/par for the course. If actual competition was actually happening and every store would compete *solely* on features, then the "fair" revenue split would rapidly approach zero.

There is already equivalent competition in the per-publisher stores. EGS offers nothing over them. If I cared about the revenue split as a user, I'd give them 100% directly.

I don't let EA off the hook for their poor store/launcher either. It was always a cash grab at the expense of the user, and it hasn't improved.

If it's really impossible to create a better platform for PC games with a low revenue share as you say, I take that as confirmation that Valve has already done the job as well as it can be done.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
They still compete on exclusivity for the sake of the argument. It's not like the popularity of steam is solely based on its features.
Well I don't understand the relevance of such an argument here. Even the player counts for the two games you mention is a tiny fraction of Steam's overall user size. The vast majority are clearly using Steam for games other than, or much more than just Valve's.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Discord is quickly filling the friendlist/VoIP void to such a degree that I don't feel the need to rely on steam for it anymore.
With what you're saying, there is a huge opportunity in the market for a tool that provides all of steam's features (except maybe achievements) while ALSO bundling the libraries of all other launchers into one common library. Basically a mix of Discord and GOG Galaxy 2.0...
That sounds like something that actually launched less than a year ago, and that died in less than 3 months:

Discord Store

FelixFFM

Yeah, plus in my head features in a storefront should basically only be economical feature for the consumer. If i want to buy a cpu from best buy vs microcenter, i only want to compare price, not all this extra shit; the extra shit should be considered separately and not tied to the place retailing the game imo. Digital storefronts should be about shopping around, not feeling like you HAVE to go steam because it has features that other stores dont.

So like in this imagination, there would be the steam store and the steam launcher separately, and digital games can be loaded onto your launcher of choice w/ it's feature set and all that. This allows, for example, a dev to release on multiple storefronts, not be forced to take cuts that they dont want to, and for storefronts to take less in general due to only really needing to maintain servers, etc.

But again i know this is fanfiction and valve holds the industry atm.
"Digital storefronts should be about shopping around, not feeling like you HAVE to go steam because it has features that other stores dont."
Welcome to the Steam suite world, where you can get all the features of Steam while not having to give one cent to Steam. This also allow some storefronts to discount games for up to 20% before launch because they do not need that much of a cost.
(And yeah, Store and launcher are separate for both Steam and EGS)

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I haven't understood eveyrthing as things are going full war,but from what I read here and on the net, no major game was truly announced right?

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I wish that there was a separate market for a lot of the features that steam provides, like I think back a lot on the early 2000s and how wild west-like it was in terms of 3rd party features/add-ons. The only way this would be possible is if storefronts were relegated to exclusively act as storefronts, rather than these complete package style products like Steam. If devs needs to pay 30% to steam as a de facto industry price, then imo the urge to take better deals for exclusivity will always exist and be taken. If, instead, devs were able to somehow self-publish/release and not rely on steam (say, an efficient barebones storefront that took a small cut), then services that concentrate specifically on things like the extras that Steam provides would be able to compete. But this is all fanfiction ofc, Steam holds the industry and sets the standard as a product, so the future will be created under that context. So to that end, I pretty much don't expect any stoppage in terms of exclusivity deals unless Valve stomps them out or changes their rate

The problem is that Valve is able to set that standard for functionality BECAUSE of their 30% storefront revenue. Taking that out of the equation and expecting ecosystem functionality to develop naturally isn't as feasible. at best things would end up like the pre-Steam days, where you have to run dozens of individual helper programs to recreate all that functionality, OR you have some other commercial product step in to fill the void. I'll admit, Discord seems like the one best positioned to do that by leveraging their friendlist base, but they want to be a storefront too, and also have a for-pay tier. PC Gamers would riot if anyone started to charge for multiplayer and other ecosystem functionality, but in the absence of somebody like Valve providing that as a byproduct of their storefront cut, those things won't just materialize.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
There is already equivalent competition in the per-publisher stores. EGS offers nothing over them. If I cared about the revenue split as a user, I'd give them 100% directly.

I don't let EA off the hook for their poor store/launcher either. It was always a cash grab at the expense of the user, and it hasn't improved.

If it's really impossible to create a better platform for PC games with a low revenue share as you say, I take that as confirmation that Valve has already done the job as well as it can be done.
EGS is the first store to compete on the dev/pub facing front, though. The fact that they take less of a cut and offer a less crowded storefront makes them effective competitors in this area. It also makes them very unpopular for consumers, but they still successfully managed to make a dent in steam's third party game market share.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The problem is that Valve is able to set that standard for functionality BECAUSE of their 30% storefront revenue. Taking that out of the equation and expecting ecosystem functionality to develop naturally isn't as feasible. at best things would end up like the pre-Steam days, where you have to run dozens of individual helper programs to recreate all that functionality, OR you have some other commercial product step in to fill the void. I'll admit, Discord seems like the one best positioned to do that by leveraging their friendlist base, but they want to be a storefront too, and also have a for-pay tier. PC Gamers would riot if anyone started to charge for multiplayer and other ecosystem functionality, but in the absence of somebody like Valve providing that as a byproduct of their storefront cut, those things won't just materialize.

No. It isn't because of their 30% cut. They'd do just as well at 20%. They're wildly profitable at 30%...where does the assumption come from that they would struggle if their share drops to 20%?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
EGS is the first store to compete on the dev/pub facing front, though. The fact that they take less of a cut and offer a less crowded storefront makes them effective competitors in this area. It also makes them very unpopular for consumers, but they still successfully managed to make a dent in steam's third party game market share.

I mean. Yes. Is this a debate from nowhere? Are we observing it from space?

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
That is exactly how steam works right now. You can release your game on steam and sell it on any store you wish. You get to choose how much you want to give away on any copy sold outside steam. You can even keep 100% if you so choose! This is 100% free for every developer and valve themselves encourage developers to put their games on as many stores as possible (where valve gets a 0% cut).

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 days) - Trolling
I honestly love the chaos that EGS is causing in the pc space.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Guess nothing really happened this time.

A bunch of trailers with "PC" logos, which could mean anything really.
And I guess Oddworld Soulstorm.

Was that it?
Sure did still take the fun out of things though, waiting for the EGS logo to show up or not.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
No. It isn't because of their 30% cut. They'd do just as well at 20%. They're wildly profitable at 30%...where does the assumption come from that they would struggle if their share drops to 20%?

It's not about whether or not they would struggle or profit at a 20% cut (which, by the way, is what their real world cut averages out to anyway after factoring in key generation and volume discounts). Valve has demonstrably used that cut to make the PC gaming space better by contributing things like Proton, Steam Input and SteamVR back to the community, in almost every case with an open-source component (even Epic uses OpenVR, the FOSS version of SteamVR as the basis of VR support in the Unreal Engine). Epic themselves have said that a 12% cut is the bare minimum they could do without it impacting their ability to just run the storefront, so good luck with them feeding anything useful back into the PC gaming landscape in any way that remotely approaches what Valve has contributed. At the end of the day, much of this argument gets back to the fact that Valve tends to do things that are good for both Valve and the Consumer, while Epic does things that good for Epic, and marginally the developer.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Waiting for a citation showing how Valve would perform "just as well" at 20%, meanwhile you're the one asking others to prove assumptions? You're the one with the fucking burden of proof here.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Even if you're right (and I find it very plausible fwiw), why should any player care about this? Until there's a better PC-based platform (which involves a developer-supported SDK, at least equivalent front-end development as PS4/Xbox, gamepad functionality, streaming integration, multiplayer matchmaking, voice/video party chat, and a lot more), why is the distributor->publisher revenue share a matter for players to decide?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly love the chaos that EGS is causing in the pc space.
Your the only one.
Considering with everything they do and what they offer including not taking a cut on keys, they are not getting the full 30% cut all the time.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Even if you're right (and I find it very plausible fwiw), why should any player care about this? Until there's a better PC-based platform (which involves a developer-supported SDK, at least equivalent front-end development as PS4/Xbox, gamepad functionality, streaming integration, multiplayer matchmaking, voice/video party chat, and a lot more), why is the distributor->publisher revenue share a matter for players to decide?
Consumer-facing aspects are not the only "valid" way to compete in a market. The players will care about this because it means they'll have to go on other stores to play certain games. Steam used to be the one-stop shop for ALL games, and nowadays it feels like there's a distinct lack of huge AAA blockbusters, for example. The decisions Valve makes on the business, publisher/dev facing side do have an effect on the end consumer. In this context, the decision to keep the cut at 30% while also having an increasingly worsening visibility problem.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I pointed out that EGS is competing in a very real way with steam
Is it though? Epic's strategy appears to be an attempt to buy up PC gaming, but they simply can't afford to buy everything: people are still using other launchers on PC and for new releases. The dent they've made thus far is largely stirring up trouble and annoying people.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Is it though? Epic's strategy appears to be an attempt to buy up PC gaming, but they simply can't afford to buy everything: people are still using other launchers on PC and for new releases. The dent they've made thus far is largely stirring up trouble and annoying people.
They are competing very much on the developer/publisher/business side. Just having Borderlands 3 is a massive deal that will have measurable effects going forward, much more than just irritating forum warriors.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
They are competing very much on the developer/publisher/business side. Just having Borderlands 3 is a massive deal that will have measurable effects going forward, much more than just irritating forum warriors.
Will it though? Borderlands 3 comes to Steam six months later so the exclusivity is fleeting. I think Halo and Destiny coming to Steam could have a much larger impact going forward to be honest.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Will it though? Borderlands 3 comes to Steam six months later so the exclusivity is fleeting. I think Halo and Destiny coming to Steam could have a much larger impact going forward to be honest.
6 months wouldn't be a big enough deal to cause players to buy a different console, but since EGS is free and there are no real barriers of entry, I do think it would make a big impact.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Consumer-facing aspects are not the only "valid" way to compete in a market. The players will care about this because it means they'll have to go on other stores to play certain games. Steam used to be the one-stop shop for ALL games, and nowadays it feels like there's a distinct lack of huge AAA blockbusters, for example. The decisions Valve makes on the business, publisher/dev facing side do have an effect on the end consumer. In this context, the decision to keep the cut at 30% while also having an increasingly worsening visibility problem.

I'm not posting as a corespondent for the Wall Street Journal.

I'm not saying that Epic Games Store isn't objectively competing in a capitalist marketplace against Valve (also EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sony, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon, etc).

I'm saying they're "not competitive" in the quality of service they provide. In the same way that McDonalds is "not competitive" with Morton's Steakhouse. They both do a thing, but one does it a whole lot better.

I agree with you that Steam has a distinct lack of AAA blockbusters, and I *object to that*. Publishers are taking their games off the platform because they care more about their revenue than the health of the platform. You can make a case that affects end users. But until there is a superior platform on PC with a lower revenue share that publishers are willing to pay, publishers (with Epic's help) are forcing players to accept a worse experience. What's especially surprising is *how far worse* it actually is. Epic's failure to even split the difference between just tossing out individual .exe installers, and a modern platform like Steam/PS4/XB indicates to me that Valve actually is doing something very difficult.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
6 months wouldn't be a big enough deal to cause players to buy a different console, but since EGS is free and there are no real barriers of entry, I do think it would make a big impact.
There's definitely going to be many that won't abstain from using EGS for Borderlands 3, but given the size of Steam's user base I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers be much more impressive when it arrives there despite having been out on another store/launcher for those six months. I can see many of them who will get it on EGS but wanted it on Steam demanding free activation keys too (seen that happening before with other games when they arrive on Steam). Epic really needs permanent exclusives to make this strategy work I think but (thankfully) they likely can't afford that either. I mean, how come they only managed six months for B3 where as many other, smaller games got a full twelve months?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
There's definitely going to be many that won't abstain from using EGS for Borderlands 3, but given the size of Steam's user base I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers be much more impressive when it arrives there despite having been out on another store/launcher for those six months. I can see many of them who will get it on EGS but wanted it on Steam demanding free activation keys too (seen that happening before with other games when they arrive on Steam). Epic really needs permanent exclusives to make this strategy work I think but (thankfully) they likely can't afford that either. I mean, how come they only managed six months for B3 where as many other, smaller games got a full twelve months?

I've read arguments that publishers fully expect this to be the case. That they know they're gonna get their sales on Steam 6 months later. So immediate cash from Epic (plus not-insignificant high-percentage early sales) is just gravy.

It's pretty amazing what this looks like to somebody who mainly plays PC games. Basically you can buy an inferior version of the game during the exclusivity period. Or you can wait it out and buy the version with party support and gamepad configuration and in-home streaming.

Previously I thought it was absurd that I needed to make like 6 accounts with 6 different game libraries to game on PC.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
I'm not posting as a corespondent for the Wall Street Journal.

I'm not saying that Epic Games Store isn't objectively competing in a capitalist marketplace against Valve (also EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sony, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon, etc).

I'm saying they're "not competitive" in the quality of service they provide. In the same way that McDonalds is "not competitive" with Morton's Steakhouse. They both do a thing, but one does it a whole lot better.

I agree with you that Steam has a distinct lack of AAA blockbusters, and I *object to that*. Publishers are taking their games off the platform because they care more about their revenue than the health of the platform. You can make a case that affects end users. But until there is a superior platform on PC with a lower revenue share that publishers are willing to pay, publishers (with Epic's help) are forcing players to accept a worse experience. What's especially surprising is *how far worse* it actually is. Epic's failure to even split the difference between just tossing out individual .exe installers, and a modern platform like Steam/PS4/XB indicates to me that Valve actually is doing something very difficult.
Well, you can blame publishers for wanting more revenue, but you can also blame Valve for riding their quasi-monopoly and 30% cut for too long, making the prospect of competing stores too enticing. As the de facto lead platform on PC, they have a responsibility for the "health of the platform" not only towards their direct consumers but also to content producers as well.

I have no skin in the game and don't care whichever way it goes. If you play lots of AAA games on PC today, you're already forced to not use Steam, in a way it feels almost retro having all these shortcuts on your desktop rather than going through a launcher.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

My theory on this is that 2k games only want 6 months as they are hoping PC gamers that must play day one will double dip. Buy it once on Epic and again on Steam once all their friends are playing it on Steam.

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
One could hope, that even "if" people buy something like Borderlands 3 for Epic Store, they buy it from a third party seller (Humble etc) to reduce Epics income from their bad business practices. If I ended up getting Borderlands 3, I sure would.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I've read arguments that publishers fully expect this to be the case. That they know they're gonna get their sales on Steam 6 months later. So immediate cash from Epic (plus not-insignificant high-percentage early sales) is just gravy.
Yeah it's becoming increasingly harder to see who is playing who at this point.

My theory on this is that 2k games only want 6 months as they are hoping PC gamers that must play day one will double dip. Buy it once on Epic and again on Steam once all their friends are playing it on Steam.
That thought had crossed my mind as well.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Well, you can blame publishers for wanting more revenue, but you can also blame Valve for riding their quasi-monopoly and 30% cut for too long, making the prospect of competing stores too enticing. As the de facto lead platform on PC, they have a responsibility for the "health of the platform" not only towards their direct consumers but also to content producers as well.

I have no skin in the game and don't care whichever way it goes. If you play lots of AAA games on PC today, you're already forced to not use Steam, in a way it feels almost retro having all these shortcuts on your desktop rather than going through a launcher.

I don't blame them because there's nobody better. It's not a monopoly in the sense that Microsoft, Amazon and Google are monopolies. Valve haven't acted in an anti-competitive manner. If they're buying politicians and influencing government policy I'm not aware of it (and would be interested to know). They happily distribute games that don't implement the Steamworks API.

Epic absolutely *could* make a better PC platform if they wanted to. I fully believe they have the technical staff capable of it. Frankly EA and Activision could've made their own PC download managers into competitors in the last 10 years.

I agree with you that PC "feels retro". It feels retro to have shortcuts to Steam, Battle.net, Origin, GOG, Uplay, Bethesda.Net, Xbox, and now Epic Games Store on my desktop too*. Of those, only Steam is actually halfway good.

* Still wanna say this is a monopoly btw?

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't Sweeney confirm that all PC BL3 players can play with each other regardless of store?

One. Sweeny has said a lot of things, much of it turned out not to be true so I take anthing he says with a pinch of salt

Two. You still not able to play it with Steam Achivement and Trading cards that some gamers love so much,

Three. I think 2k hope they will get it on Steam anyway.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Is there really a lack of AAA blockbusters though? Let's see

In 2019, these "AAA" games released on Steam
-Resident Evil 2 remake
-Devil May Cry 5
-Sekiro: Shadows Die twice
-Total War: Three Kingdoms
-Rage 2
-Wolvenstein: Youngblood
-God Eater 3
-Jump Force
-Mortal Kombat 11
-Dead or Alive 6
-Metro Exodus*

The following "AAA" games did not release on Steam:
-Division 2
-Anthem
-Crackdown 3 (?)

The following "AAA" games are yet to release on Steam in 2019:
-Doom Eternal
-Gears 5
-Destiny 2
-(supposedly still this year) Halo Reach as part of the MCC
-Code Vein

-the following "AAA" games are yet to be released not on Steam
-CoD
-FIFA
-Jedi Fallen Order
-Borderlands 3
-Control
-Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

-should I list the many awesome "AA" games releasing on primarily on Steam this year?

Sure, EGS exclusivity is gonna cause a bit of a decrease in the amount of high-profile games on Steam. But aside from Ubisoft (which cannibalize the EGS sales to boost its proprietary storefront) and Borderlands 3, we are yet to see a major shakeup in the "AAA" space

*although Exodus was made EGS exclusive, pre-orders on Steam were an option. The game's not available for new sales, but I can buy the DLC for it now, if I so choose. (Also, the game was priced below the 60 USD mark, so I'm not sure it really fits the "AAA" designation.*

closer

Oct 25, 2017
That is exactly how steam works right now. You can release your game on steam and sell it on any store you wish. You get to choose how much you want to give away on any copy sold outside steam. You can even keep 100% if you so choose! This is 100% free for every developer and valve themselves encourage developers to put their games on as many stores as possible (where valve gets a 0% cut).

I didnt quote everyone cuz phone but each response was kind of the same gist. Imo, since steam is such a complete package, since it is such a leader in the market, it is kind of singular in it's influence. While steam does allow various options to sell, i dont think that really changes the state of things; that the majority of pc retail units sold are sold on steam at their rate, or on services that redirect customer back to steam. My intention isnt to compare steam w/ other services here or to criticize them, but to think of what itd be like if valve kept steam solely as a storefront and other services had sprung up to fill the things valve has been developing, rather than having it all under valve's umbrella. Imo the dev cut would be different, and steam wouldnt be this all-encompassing thing (for better or worse). I think a decent amnt of the illwill towards valve (from devs, consumers, whatever) comes from this resentment that they exist as this thanos-like "everything inevitably will lead back to me" style entity, but i mean i guess that's not that important.

Last edited:

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like EGS. I've gotten a bunch of non-shovelware games for free, and the couple I've bought have given a higher cut to the developers. Plus, the UI is clean and modern looking. Sure, there are features that it could add, but none that I really care about or need. Plus, Valve has been resting on their laurels for far too long. It seems like people complaining about Epic "moneyhatting" are forgetting that Gabe Newell is also a billionaire.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I like EGS. I've gotten a bunch of non-shovelware games for free, and the couple I've bought have given a higher cut to the developers. Plus, the UI is clean and modern looking. Sure, there are features that it could add, but none that I really care about or need. Plus, Valve has been resting on their laurels for far too long. It seems like people complaining about Epic "moneyhatting" are forgetting that Gabe Newell is also a billionaire.
You forgot the /s

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

I am curious do you know what "moneyhatting" is or are you just trolling?

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Well, you can blame publishers for wanting more revenue, but you can also blame Valve for riding their quasi-monopoly and 30% cut for too long, making the prospect of competing stores too enticing.

What does this even mean? Valve was supposed to self-sabotage themselves all those years when no other storefront was making any serious moves against them?