• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could fast forward through all this nonsense and come out on the other side when everyone has settled down. I imagine this sort of endless debate ages about as well as when people were up in arms about moving away from physical media. Good heavens it's boring.

Developers are going to try to navigate these waters, loud internet names will maybe protest, Epic's store will get better, and Steam may even try to improve. Multiple storefronts are not going away. That battle was lost fucking ages ago. Exclusivity has been the bedrock of gaming since the inception. Not great, but not terrible. The whole discussion is as baffling as it is tiring.

And others continue to complain about the complaints and continue to be ignored. The world isn't being stopped by this whole debate, exclusivity may be a bedrock of the industry but what was acceptable then isn't acceptable now because everything changes. Epic will improve or it may go into obscurity or it may just exist like origins and uplay. Who knows. Point is the future of the store is partially being made by these debates.

My suggestion for you would be to bury your head in your games and ignore it. Doesn't affect you so no need for you to be concerned just let the world move by itself.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could fast forward through all this nonsense and come out on the other side when everyone has settled down. I imagine this sort of endless debate ages about as well as when people were up in arms about moving away from physical media. Good heavens it's boring.

Developers are going to try to navigate these waters, loud internet names will maybe protest, Epic's store will get better, and Steam may even try to improve. Multiple storefronts are not going away. That battle was lost fucking ages ago. Exclusivity has been the bedrock of gaming since the inception. Not great, but not terrible. The whole discussion is as baffling as it is tiring.

I would give it like a year tops. Its gonna be just another store like Origin, Battle.net, Uplay, Windows Store etc.

Everyone who lost their shit over this is gonna read their posts and feel embarrassed.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
you should expect everything published by deep silver to be EGS exclusive
Oddly enough, Outward wasn't though (released about a month and a half after Exodus). It's available on EGS, but also Steam and GMG has steam codes, and I'm assuming other retailers do as well.

Edit: Private Division announced a publishing deal with EGS, and so Outer Words, Ancestors: Human Odyssey and Darkborn (formerly "Project Wight" ) are EGS games, but Disintegration apparently isn't an EGS exclusive, so... who knows?

Last edited:

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I would give it like a year tops. Its gonna be just another store like Origin, Battle.net, Uplay, Windows Store etc.

Everyone who lost their shit over this is gonna read their posts and feel embarrassed.

If they are still swiping games from other stores sometimes weeks before launch, it will never be considered the same as those other launchers.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
hVGgXM6.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar has social club which means rdr2 will probably be on their own launcher only. Why make 88% when you can make 100%.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Point is the future of the store is partially being made by these debates.

Yes, everyone should be holding Epic, Valve, CDProjekt, all of them to account and pushing for better storefronts, customer service, data and privacy protection, etc. 100% on board. But that's not what these threads are really about or the discussions that are happening.

It's faux-boycotts, petulant behaviour, and other silliness. In the Stalker 2 @ gamescom thread there is a post along the lines of: "I bet it's and EGS exclusive". Do you not get tired of that?

Is it not bannable to port-whine?

EDIT: It's not just here and it's not that bad here. I am lumping in detractors here with the absolute BS from around the internet which isn't fair.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Yes, everyone should be holding Epic, Valve, CDProjekt, all of them to account and pushing for better storefronts, customer service, data and privacy protection, etc. 100% on board. But that's not what these threads are really about or the discussions that are happening.

It's faux-boycotts, petulant behaviour, and other silliness. In the Stalker 2 @ gamescom thread there is a post along the lines of: "I bet it's and EGS exclusive". Do you not get tired of that?

EDIT: It's not just here and it's not that bad here. I am lumping in detractors here with the absolute BS from around the internet which isn't fair.

It is one of the more irritating parts of the discourse.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

I mean, the unfortunate reality is, EGS is kinda shit when it comes to features, and Epic is advertising lack of some of these features (user reviews, game forums, etc) as " an advantage" for the devs, b/c "less features = less Steam bloat" (apparently). With glacial pace of improvement (how about that shopping cart?) for everyone to see.

So that's the status quo right now. So a lot of EGS detractors (such as myself) don't bother to include our particular grievances (in my personal case, lack of prices in CAD and achievements are the 2 major faults of the store) every time we voice our disgruntlement with EGS. We take it a bit as a given that everyone knows by now. (Though I am happy to elaborate, if someone really wants to know why I don't want to give Epic money).

Nov 8, 2017
I'm basically assuming that Death Stranding and RDR2 are EGS exclusives, but that's based on the assumption that they are a year or less from releasing on pc. In both cases they may be farther in the future, and Idk how long these deals will still be getting signed. It's also possible that RDR2s price may be too high for epic but who knows.

At this particular event I'm more expecting some smaller games to get announced as exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it. Right after this happened they added the proper release date to the steam page.

They wouldn't update the release date from Coming Soon to September 9th and then 4 days later announce EGS exclusivity.

Besides, MS is not doing exclusives. They even backed out of releasing their games only on Windows Store so more people could play them.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Isn't Evil Genius getting a sequel? God I hope its not that.
It's a Rebellion game, and Rebellion announced it at the PC gaming show. At the same show they announced the EGS exclusive Zombie Army 4.

It stands to reason that if they were gonna make Evil Genius 2 also EGS exclusive, they would've said so from the get-go. So maybe chances are low?

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding hasn't been announced for EGS, right? So, that,

And like 5 games from the top of the Steam wishlist

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Personally hoping Dying Light 2 isn't announced as EGS as I'm interested in seeing how siding with different factions does affect the game overall.

I could see RDR being EGS exclusive as Rockstar knows enough people will buy the game regardless of what store they release it on

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
It's a Rebellion game, and Rebellion announced it at the PC gaming show. At the same show they announced the EGS exclusive Zombie Army 4.

It stands to reason that if they were gonna make Evil Genius 2 also EGS exclusive, they would've said so from the get-go. So maybe chances are low?

Epic has shown they're willing to moneyhat any game at any time if they think it'll hurt Steam. I wouldn't be surprised at all if EG2 was an EGS timed exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
So a lot of EGS detractors (such as myself) don't bother to include our particular grievances (in my personal case, lack of prices in CAD and achievements are the 2 major faults of the store) every time we voice our disgruntlement with EGS. We take it a bit as a given that everyone knows by now. (Though I am happy to elaborate, if someone really wants to know why I don't want to give Epic money).

Totally fair. I really don't enjoy the EGS as a user, myself. I find it hard to search and dislike that there is no Wishlist, for example.

But overall, whatever. When Steam launched it was absolutely horrible, yet necessary to play Half-Life 2. Collectively we all got over it.

Steam had its golden age and I have long felt that it has become bloated. Admittedly, I don't engage with many of the ancillary features like the marketplace, community, etc.

Anyway, I just think people need to ratchet the rhetoric down and focus on pressuring all the storefronts to be better. Epic especially, yes, since they are the ones actively and aggressively taking stances and "making plays". They need to shape up.

Cmdr Krunch

Aug 17, 2019
Canada
Totally fair. I really don't enjoy the EGS as a user, myself. I find it hard to search and dislike that there is no Wishlist, for example.

But overall, whatever. When Steam launched it was absolutely horrible, yet necessary to play Half-Life 2. Collectively we all got over it.

Steam had its golden age and I have long felt that it has become bloated. Admittedly, I don't engage with many of the ancillary features like the marketplace, community, etc.

Anyway, I just think people need to ratchet the rhetoric down and focus on pressuring all the storefronts to be better. Epic especially, yes, since they are the ones actively and aggressively taking stances and "making plays". They need to shape up.
I'm more annoyed at Tim Sweeny acting like he's saving PC gaming by taking away choice for consumers and trying to force people to install his shitty store to play games they snatched from the top wishlisted on Steam.

How about they actually make a good store first? Steam was bad when it launched yes, but now it's good. You can't expect people to want to use a platform that's objectively inferior. I wish people would stop downplaying how scummy Epic Games are, people aren't pressuring other storefronts to be better because Epic is the one being blatantly anti-consumer while pretending they are doing something good.

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's more along the lines of completely new/unannounced stuff, vs previously known games being made exclusive. I think we can all agree at the very least that the former is preferable to the latter.

Nov 1, 2017
From e3 2019 announcement, the games i most looking forward are El Hijo and Spiritfarer. Hope both of them are not going to be egs exclusive and do release on steam/gog.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
CTR probably, it's weird how it doesn't have a PC when some early stuff showed that it was coming to Steam.

Edit: Wait, Death Stranding is still happening on PC?

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Rumored Orcs must Die 3.
What a horrible par for the course that would be. First they think they can go alone with a MOBA OMDU and then they'd limit their fanbase for the next game *again*?

If it's in any way multiplayer based like the last game then Epic guaranteeing sales isn't going to do anything for your actual playerbase.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
i dont care, as long as epic brings good games for free.
it is very cool of them releasing so much good content.
i know, we have a lot of people here, who do not like the EGS, but i like competition, especially if it shows that there is something going wrong and the new one does it right.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Honestly excited (I use EGS, don't shoot me). Biomutant is one I'm hopeful for tho I don't know if I want to give money to THQ

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
i dont care, as long as epic brings good games for free.
it is very cool of them releasing so much good content.
i know, we have a lot of people here, who do not like the EGS, but i like competition, especially if it shows that there is something going wrong and the new one does it right.
I get that it's nice to get free stuff but what else do you consider EGS is 'doing right'? Because paying to make sure content isn't on a competitor's store isn't exactly desireable behaviour imo, not in the least because it removes choice for us consumers.