• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I don't get why people keep saying this. Phil said something to the effect that it was hard enough accurately emulating Power PC on a fixed set of specs of the Xbox One, yet alone trying to do it on PC with all it's different configurations.

Yes it is extremely difficult to do so, as it would have required the BC team to emulate or convert current PPC instructions to x86. They had a couple of different version of their Fission emulator, first time they pushed it out they emulated the entire dashboard, and wrapped the games in that, and they also had a functional converter for some games to directly go from PPC to x86. Before you say that's impossible it's very much already been done before and it's on GitHub. https://github.com/rexdex/recompiler

Sure the configurations of PC's matter, and that's why some emulators work better on AMD then Intel, and Nvidia to AMD and vice versa. It's just a lot of hotfixes to be done on many many different PC builds.

It's not something impossible. It just takes a lot of resources to do.

The one difference between MS doing this and someone doing it as a hobby? MS has all the resources to put people on it even for just maintenance, and to boot they also have the documentation for literally everything to do with the console. All of the instructions, and all the hidden things that most devs would not know about the system they have access to that information.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is extremely difficult to do so, as it would have required the BC team to emulate or convert current PPC instructions to x86. They had a couple of different version of their Fission emulator, first time they pushed it out they emulated the entire dashboard, and wrapped the games in that, and they also had a functional converter for some games to directly go from PPC to x86. Before you say that's impossible it's very much already been done before and it's on GitHub. https://github.com/rexdex/recompiler

Sure the configurations of PC's matter, and that's why some emulators work better on AMD then Intel, and Nvidia to AMD and vice versa. It's just a lot of hotfixes to be done on many many different PC builds.

It's not something impossible. It just takes a lot of resources to do.
But didn't you just say it would be "trivial" and a "piece of cake" for MS to do?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
But didn't you just say it would be "trivial" and a "piece of cake" for MS to do?
Yes but they already did all of the work needed. They just would have to compatibility patch for certain systems, and hotfixes for games. I'm saying yes what they did was difficult and they completed it.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Already have half of those games. Hope Age of Empires Definitive Edition is soon. Wanted to play that one for more than a year.

For newbies to Rare Replay, it is an amazing value. Barely scratched it surface but had fun with Battletoads arcade, and replaying Perfect Dark.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Resident Evil: Revelations is the only remastered Resident Evil game I don't own on Xbox One, so that's cool! I never played anymore than just the demo on 3DS and have left Revelations 2 untouched because of that.

It's not often that I care that other people experience something meaningful to me, but I'm very happy to see Rare Replay become so accessible through Game Pass. As primarily an N64/360 Rare fan, some of my highlights were already available through Game Pass individually (like Banjo), but I think it's cool how Rare Replay can contextualize the catalog for newcomers. Between Rare Replay on Game Pass and Banjo in Smash back-to-back, hopefully this is a sign of Microsoft looking to foster an appreciation of Rare's history rather than it being an easy first party title to fill their rental service with.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll give Torment a shot, even though it seems to be meh, especially compared to the original which is considered a classic.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the speeds increased, at least for me. Downloading Sunset Overdrive was slow, but Prey went much faster. I have 850 Mbps down(Cox Gigablast).

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Not rare replay on PC makes me sad (I actually gasped, then i saw xbox only and literally said, oh no lol), its the only one that interest me, as I already have torment and RER and I dont give to flying fucks about goat simulator.

I don't understand these replies. A refurbed Xbox One is dirt cheap.

Mar 23, 2018
I'm guessing they won't be adding "bigger" games on the PC side until PC Game Pass is out of beta and at a "regular" price point?

Nov 14, 2017
So 360 BC on PC as a whole is complicated, but would Rare Replay by itself be a more viable port? Because then all they would have to do is make just those games compatible on PC.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hmm. I must have pulled up a different interview 🤷‍♂️ Apologies. I would almost be tempted to double dip even if it was on PC gamepass.

I suppose I could look it up myself...but what is the gameplay of Torment like? Turn based, Action RPG Diablo-like or RTWP....was not a fan of Pillars of Eternity but enjoyed Divinity OS. Might just need to be in the mood for those though

Torment is turn-based so its a bit more like Divinity, except it doesn't stagger the order between party and enemies, it's based on initiative/speed (or whatever the stat is, been a few years). I remember because there were a couple encounters with a shitton of drones/bugs where the enemies would get a dozen turns in a row due to the sheer number of them.

It's not as good as either pillars or divinity, imo, but still an interesting game just for how weird it is...you do spend a fair amount of time in fleshy environments though which does get old fast.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Torment is turn-based so its a bit more like Divinity, except it doesn't stagger the order between party and enemies, it's based on initiative/speed (or whatever the stat is, been a few years). I remember because there were a couple encounters with a shitton of drones/bugs where the enemies would get a dozen turns in a row due to the sheer number of them.

It's not as good as either pillars or divinity, imo, but still an interesting game just for how weird it is...you do spend a fair amount of time in fleshy environments though which does get old fast.

Gotcha. Stat-based turn system I can deal with but I might need to be in the mood for it. I just could not get into PoE with the Real Time with Pause system it has.

Deleted member 49770

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2018
Literally bought an S to play Rare Replay and they add it to Game Pass the day my console arrives. Good shit.