• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
:( Looks like they just made their mobile game into a console game judging by just the menu lay out.

The purpose of this beta test is to evaluate the quality of the online matchmaking and connection to the servers.
Please note that gameplay mechanics, balancing, animations and graphics are all under development and will be improved before the official launch.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting is that the game shows a PlayStation symbol under the user icon during matchmaking, maybe crossplay with Xbox/PC incoming? Otherwise that symbol would be redundant.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I think it was always like this in PES but is it me or do some passes look way faster than shots? the ball looks so slow after a shot.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
This is literally a mobile port to test the servers, it in no way represents the final game

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
This is literally a mobile port to test the servers, it in no way represents the final game

Their survey for the Beta seems to indicate that its the proper game. (in beta stage)
So this would mean their "new" football game is just a port of a mobile version.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely a mobile upscale, but hopefully that's just so they have *something* to test the netcode with. Because netcode wise... I'm impressed. I didn't have a single bit of stutter, lag or any disconnects during the match. It ran perfectly, and my connection isn't great.

Thankfully the UI has finally improved too. I like how the teams are displayed on a world map, and the formation screens overlaid on pre-match cutscenes. Finally no more ALL CAPS PLAYER NAMES too!

Hopefully this isn't representative of the graphics we can expect in the final game, but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it isn't.

calvinised

May 24, 2021
Got one game in as I'm at work but I thought it was okay, gameplay was okay and the net code was pretty good . The lack of cross-lay is a big nail in its coffin though.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be great if they could move away from bars for the ping but at least they increased the bars from 3 to 5. All in all the beta ran great for me twice on 1 bar games. It's a travesty that R2 is default sprint.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Net code was great, the game isn't though. I have higher hopes for the full game and really really hope the full game isn't just an uprezzed mobile port.

also the default camera might be the worst camera I've ever used in a football game hahah

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Absolutely dreadful. Specially in defence. I can't even use the right analogue stick to switch to the player I want, and there seems to be two speeds when defending: full sprint and Sunday stroll.

Though I understand this is apparently the mobile game version. It's no wonder they didn't release this under the PES 2022 moniker.

Net code was great, the game isn't though. I have higher hopes for the full game and really really hope the full game isn't just an uprezzed mobile port.

also the default camera might be the worst camera I've ever used in a football game hahah
Yeah, the camera is awful. The constant zooms meant my players got out of screen when I was trying to build-up, so I gave up on trying.

Played this for one half that ended 2-2, with all goals coming from rebounds/2-1 with the goalkeeper situations, because shits are slower than short passes. The only effective way to create chances is too run at full speed because the defence can't do anything about it.

Edit: not shits, but shots. It's fitting though so I'll leave it as is.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Announcement is coming - July 21

E4o2mPdXwAQMyUI

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
In before a beta OT, reviews thread, open/metacritic scores and a LTTP thread from some of the posters here lol : D

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Their survey for the Beta seems to indicate that its the proper game. (in beta stage)
So this would mean their "new" football game is just a port of a mobile version.
I just completed the survey, and the language used made it seem this was the real deal. I really hope this isn't the full game. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that if this was the full release it could spell doom for the future of PES on consoles.

And this is coming from someone who liked what they were trying to do with the slower gameplay of PES 2014.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Absolutely dreadful. Specially in defence. I can't even use the right analogue stick to switch to the player I want, and there seems to be two speeds when defending: full sprint and Sunday stroll.

Though I understand this is apparently the mobile game version. It's no wonder they didn't release this under the PES 2022 moniker.

Yeah, the camera is awful. The constant zooms meant my players got out of screen when I was trying to build-up, so I gave up on trying.

Played this for one half that ended 2-2, with all goals coming from rebounds/2-1 with the goalkeeper situations, because shits are slower than short passes. The only effective way to create chances is too run at full speed because the defence can't do anything about it.

Edit: not shits, but shots. It's fitting though so I'll leave it as is.
Build up is woeful. I hate that players just stand there until a pass reaches them, it makes it artificially slow.

also midfielders just ignore defending. What's up with that?

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Announcement is coming - July 21

This HAS to be a mobile port. It just looks so bad and flat...

I just completed the survey, and the language used made it seem this was the real deal. I really hope this isn't the full game. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that if this was the full release it could spell doom for the future of PES on consoles.

And this is coming from someone who liked what they were trying to do with the slower gameplay of PES 2014.

I love the slower approach compared to FIFAs way too arcady fast gameplay where goals are scored the same way every time.

But yea, from judginfg the description and the survey I think thats the game. They will shoot their foot if they release this game. It looks alot worde than current PES so I dont get why they would release it anways...

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
I was just watching this video, and the amount of times the ball was centimetres away from the defenders and they didn't put their foot in, or the times they did and it still went to the opposition player anyway, was too many to count. It's frustrating conceding goals like that, and it seems to somehow be much worse now in this game.

youtu.be

🔥 eFootball - Manchester Utd vs Barcelona - Gameplay Ft. Unreal Engine | PS5 / Xbox Series X/S

▶️ This is PES 2022 - BETA Gameplay test not OFFICIAL or DEMO 🔥 Click to buy PES 2022/ FIFA 22: https://www.g2a.com/n/fujimarupes☛ Click "Show more" to see...

Edit: lol at the no penalty at 2:42. Guess refs haven't changed.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Think I'll pass on this as it seems like the gameplay isn't going to be representative of the end product. I highly doubt they took a year off just to port a mobile game. Seems like there are already too many people mistaking this for what 22 will actually be

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Think I'll pass on this as it seems like the gameplay isn't going to be representative of the end product. I highly doubt they took a year off just to port a mobile game. Seems like there are already too many people mistaking this for what 22 will actually be

Well they're asking for feedback on the actual gameplay, so it must be at least close to what they want it to be.

And it's bad. Real bad.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017

I'd be utterly amazed if this was in any way representative of the final game apart from the netcode and the fact it's football.

PES 20 / 21, as many problems as they had, already looked far, far better than this. Their next-gen teaser they showed with Messi looked miles ahead of anything they've done before as well. Now I know that would be very unlikely to look like the final game since it's just a cutscene, but still. They can't go from that to this, unless they think people are stupid. There was also a magazine interview (in Play magazine) with I think the lead producer, who was talking about the challenges of having to improve on last gen for next gen, to aim for complete realism - both on the pitch and in the atmosphere, to push the game further than they've done before, etc. And yes, that'll be PR to an extent, but what they released today doesn't even come close to the previous game on PS4, never mind improve on it.

I just can't see this being the final game. Don't prove me wrong, Konami.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be utterly amazed if this was in any way representative of the final game apart from the netcode and the fact it's football.

PES 20 / 21, as many problems as they had, already looked far, far better than this. Their next-gen teaser they showed with Messi looked miles ahead of anything they've done before as well. Now I know that would be very unlikely to look like the final game since it's just a cutscene, but still. They can't go from that to this, unless they think people are stupid. There was also a magazine interview (in Play magazine) with I think the lead producer, who was talking about the challenges of having to improve on last gen for next gen, to aim for complete realism - both on the pitch and in the atmosphere, to push the game further than they've done before, etc. And yes, that'll be PR to an extent, but what they released today doesn't even come close to the previous game on PS4, never mind improve on it.

I just can't see this being the final game. Don't prove me wrong, Konami.

Yeah, I was the same way, then they asked me to compare every gameplay element to 2021 with 2 questions about the netcode. While the graphics might not be representative, it's clearly the direction they're going in gameplay wise... And I don't like it

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I can't believe some people think this is a completely different game being used in the test as they are just testing the online element, or that it's going to be drastically different visually and mechanically.

The full game releases in just a matter of months. They can't do a night and day change, and creating a specific version just for a beta makes no sense. This test is representative of the full game. They've even added new touches like the players warming up before the game, it's with motion blur and dof effects too.

Konami hyped this game up, saying how the visuals were aiming for "photo realism" etc.

What a flop. I'd bet anything right now that the full release isn't much different.

And if by some unlikely event the full game is drastically different, releasing this beta test has done them no favours as all it's going to do is drum up negativity and backlash.

Edit: the hardened fans on social media have already started the defence force by calling people idiots and saying that this isn't the real game it's just an online test lol.

Last edited:

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
If the demo indeed is a slice of what the final game will look and feel like the series is doomed for real and it makes me really, really, really sad. Let's hope it'll be something completely different but why would Konami want this to be our first experience with the new game?

ornery

Nov 15, 2017
played one game and was immediately turned off. i understand it's not a representation of the final game, but as of now it's bad
- can't use RS to change players, as previously stated
- oddly enough, pressing X to pressure seems to be a toggle? why would they change that
- i'm used to using alternative controls, but there's not an option for that in this beta
- passing seems very delayed. buildup play is nonexistent because it takes a while before your players begin the passing animations

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Can you seriously not leave a game? I tried it out and it was pausing every 10 seconds because of thier connection but I saw no option to leave the game.

I'm going in this knowing it's a beta and even then my ONE match so far was a nightmare.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
played one game and was immediately turned off. i understand it's not a representation of the final game, but as of now it's bad
- can't use RS to change players, as previously stated
- oddly enough, pressing X to pressure seems to be a toggle? why would they change that
- i'm used to using alternative controls, but there's not an option for that in this beta
- passing seems very delayed. buildup play is nonexistent because it takes a while before your players begin the passing animations

You can change the controller config in settings.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
My experience thus far is: played a few minutes of a match that was s o stuttery and bad I rebooted my PS5; got disconnected because of poor connection as a match was starting, had a stuttery mess that someone else conceded. My interenst is not bad (at least not as bad as this game is making it seem) and this is just a horrid experience. Writing a negative survey and hoping the message gets through. Deleting this from my PS5. Hoping to god there's a demo down the road that's indicative of the final product. Even the netcode, which is only what I was testing here, was garbage.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I can't believe some people think this is a completely different game being used in the test as they are just testing the online element, or that it's going to be drastically different visually and mechanically.

The full game releases in just a matter of months. They can't do a night and day change, and creating a specific version just for a beta makes no sense. This test is representative of the full game. They've even added new touches like the players warming up before the game, it's with motion blur and dof effects too.

Konami hyped this game up, saying how the visuals were aiming for "photo realism" etc.

What a flop. I'd bet anything right now that the full release isn't much different.

And if by some unlikely event the full game is drastically different, releasing this beta test has done them no favours as all it's going to do is drum up negativity and backlash.

Edit: the hardened fans on social media have already started the defence force by calling people idiots and saying that this isn't the real game it's just an online test lol.

save those posts until the reveal. lmao.
I dont even know what the point would be to test server performance with a completley different game but then make a survey about the game itself rather than the server performance.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Those cutscenes, from goal replay, to celebration, to small things like arguing with the ref... ooof at that lighting.
Unreal Engine 4? More like 3. Super exposed highlights, too much contrast. Whatever detail is their in the faces is gone.

Gameplay itself, so far, very similar to the last PES (duh) but feels a little slower.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Purely judging it on the server performance it's fantastic. Only played 2 games but they felt like offline matches which is great.

Good to see them finally making right trigger sprint by default - i've had to change that and switch player to left trigger manually for 20 years now, only need to make one change now.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
I was certain that it's just the ported mobile version for testing. If this is anything resembling the final game then pes is dead, and this is coming from someone who's played it for over 20 years

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I know the narrative is that these are just placeholder visuals with the mobile version, but this could well be a PR disaster for them.
Because many people won't get the memo that this is placeholder stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
They said PES 2022 would represent a revolution for the series and were targeting "total photorealism" for the visuals. So I doubt this represents the final version.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Played a little more and looked in the settings. So there's a "physical defense" button now, L2. X is now "Match up". I'm not sure how they're supposed to work in conjunction with each other. Holding L2 just seems to charge at the player with the ball and I cant even tell what X does anymore.

Might be because its online but there seems to be more space available generally, 1 on 1's seemed to happen more. Midfielders are none existent defensively.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Looking at the footage and…how is there not a version for the Switch. I mean, I get this is just a net code test and it's not the final product by a long shot..but still…the Switch should be able to run PES Mobile just fine.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else struggled to find opponents? I've probably spent an hour in total searching but have yet to connect. I keep getting unable to connect with opponent.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Looking at the footage and…how is there not a version for the Switch. I mean, I get this is just a net code test and it's not the final product by a long shot..but still…the Switch should be able to run PES Mobile just fine.

I would imagine they will concentrate on the Playstation / Xbox / PC platforms first, but they would be silly to miss the gravy train by not releasing PES on the Switch.

I'll judge after the July 21st reveal, I would be very surprised if this is indicative of the final product. I really enjoyed PES 2021 and for me it's the best football game released in years, it just needed better presentation and a meatier Master League / Career Mode.